Halloween Horror Nights 23 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

So, I'm guessing I'm in the minority of people who don't care if we share some houses, ideas, and IP's?

The issue here, imo, is that HHNH and HHN are somewhat different brands, play in different markets, and have similar, but different audiences. So what plays well in one market may not play well in another. they found lightning in a bottle with TWD, but I don't know if it will translate over again to this year. It makes sense from a licensing standpoint to share IP's, but pick the wrong IP for tthe UO market, or execute it poorly for whatever reason (as a lot of people seem to have felt happened last year), and you risk weakening your overall brand.

I'm half expecting to see TWD return this year, since it was such a huge draw. But with it being as tame as it was, combined with the huge lines, I'm doubtful that it will be as successful.

• Like 3

I'm half expecting to see TWD return this year, since it was such a huge draw. But with it being as tame as it was, combined with the huge lines, I'm doubtful that it will be as successful.

Walking Dead in a soundstage. Bound to happen. Maybe even a dual-run.

• Like 1

So, I'm guessing I'm in the minority of people who don't care if we share some houses, ideas, and IP's?

I agree,

My issue with sharing ideas and IPs is not even the sharing itself. at first I had no problem with both events having some of the same houses (I was looking forward to them actually)

my problem was that even though they were sharing IPs the houses in Hollywood were much better. Things just worked better over there, and their houses looked a little more scary.

If they are going to share IPs I wish they at least make an effort to have good houses on both events. Some things seemed like they worked better over there.

Edited by Mr. Black

Murdy and Aiello having meetings + logic = this.

If we are sharing let's hope these are IPs worth sharing. Otherwise it's to the Food and Wine Fest for me. Don't get me wrong, I'll always be a HHN fan, but I want it to be at it's best IPs or otherwise. That's all.

And off the topic H.R. Bloodengutz would make an awesome icon, they only have to edge him up a little bit.

And I also hope to see some good originals alongside the IPs as well. Gothic did wonders.

Edited by mastermind22

For the love of god and everything holy - no more Walking Dead! Please! That house just SUCKED last year. It was so tame and so boring. The best part of it was the beginning with the replica doors stating "Do Not Open: Dead Inside". After that - it was just one floating turd after another.

As already stated, sharing houses isn't a bad thing if they are GOOD. However, I wasn't a fan of Alice either, so, IMO, there were two stinkers.

I have to admit, I've been curious about what the house will be for Hollywood that they have code named "Trickster". And if it's such a great find, will it be one that is shared?

If we are sharing let's hope these are IPs worth sharing. Otherwise it's to the Food and Wine Fest for me. Don't get me wrong, I'll always be a HHN fan, but I want it to be at it's best IPs or otherwise. That's all.

And off the topic H.R. Bloodengutz would make an awesome icon, they only have to edge him up a little bit.

And I also hope to see some good originals alongside the IPs as well. Gothic did wonders.

Gothic was my favorite - hands down - don't even have to think about it. I LOVE those original ideas.. every year. Yes, more please.

• Like 1

The only problem I have with both events sharing houses is that I've been looking forward to going back to HHN and seeing the originality I loved in 2011.

Now, if that is the case, I will be paying twice to see essentially the same thing. Kind of a bummer.

For the love of god and everything holy - no more Walking Dead! Please! That house just SUCKED last year. It was so tame and so boring. The best part of it was the beginning with the replica doors stating "Do Not Open: Dead Inside". After that - it was just one floating turd after another.

As already stated, sharing houses isn't a bad thing if they are GOOD. However, I wasn't a fan of Alice either, so, IMO, there were two stinkers.

I have to admit, I've been curious about what the house will be for Hollywood that they have code named "Trickster". And if it's such a great find, will it be one that is shared?

Gothic was my favorite - hands down - don't even have to think about it. I LOVE those original ideas.. every year. Yes, more please.

See that's the thing, That's what I meant. When you see walkthrough videos of Walking Dead and then Alice Cooper houses over there. They look better.

Walking Dead for Hollywood looked so much superior. some of the rooms were a lot better, and they even had a room with trees and grass (plus the bicycle walker on the ground)

one of their rooms looked like a camp in the forest. It was small, but compared to the house here that house at least on the video looked amazing.

I know some people didn't like their house in Hollywood, but at least they got more things right over there. it just looked a lot better. Now I know there might be a difference with budgets, but they could have easily made a forest room for the end of the house in Orlando. Or little things like that.

Same thing with Silent Hill and even their first Alice Cooper house last year. Silent hill over there looked a little better and had more details. Alice Cooper house looked better.

Is like every house we shared was better over there.

Like I said earlier, if we are going to share houses I just wish they are as good in here as they were over there.

and then you mention Gothic, which was my favorite house as well, Plus Dead End, both original houses and they were the most amazing houses of the event for me. Dead End was just one of the best houses I visited.

Now for the topic H.R. Bloodengutz I would love him as an Icon. I don't really think it matters if he is goofy or funny.

Look at FEAR,

Look at Lady Luck

both of them scary icons, yet they were a little disappointing. Fear didn't even connect to the houses or anything, to me Fear's costume was kind of dumb. I didn't really understand why give him a human chest. They could have done so much with his look, Fear didn't look awesome, didn't have to do much with the event, and being scary didn't matter.

H.R. Bloodengutz Could even be like the Cryptkeeper, or JACK. They could have an event based on movies and tv shows and he could be the host.

I really don't see the problem with having Bloodengutz being the Icon. He would at least be cool and funny but in a twisted way.

Edited by Mr. Black

Murdy has stated Trickster is Hollywood only.

It could change, but Hollywood only for now.

EDIT: From Twitter

Edited by mystiquephreeq
  • Like 1

I would love to see Blood N Gutz as an icon but I think general audiences have trouble understanding campy horror. Just look at Sam Raimi's Drag Me To Hell. It was a great movie but when I would talk to non-movie people they would say, "It was sort of scary but some parts were so ridiculous it was funny" and I would be like, "Yeah it was SUPPOSED to be funny"

Walking Dead in a soundstage. Bound to happen. Maybe even a dual-run.

I would love a Duel Run house but I dont think well see that again... I think TWD should go to the back of the park (Parade)

As much as everybody loves BloodenGutz I might note the main actor who played him has retired from UO and I really dont see him coming back to do it.

• Like 1

Imagine the HULK movie in 2003 if you will. They decided to reboot it again in 2008 to try and make it better. Since TNA wrestling is gone from Universal there is another soundstage to possibly use for HHN so I have to say that it is possible for a Walking Dead reboot type house at HHN. Whether it happens this year or next. Or maybe even not at all. Who knows. Possible doesn't mean definite.

I believe I mentioned this before on one of the threads, but I'm totally fine with both events sharing a particular IP...as long as it's a IP that both parks wish to do. Orlando has shown before that they can make a great IP house if it's one they wanted to do. Though as mentioned, unfortunately last year was a great example of what you get when they're forced a IP they didn't want. (Walking Dead, Silent Hill etc.) It's nice, but not as good as a IP they want or a original house. (Penn & Teller, Gothic, Dead End etc.)

Part of me feels a shared IP this year is American Werewolf in London, which would be totally fine since we all know that was fully planned and ready to go in Orlando before Silent Hill was dropped on them. (It also seemed like it was planned in HW as well, but had to be replaced by TCM when Orlando had to shelve AWiL.)

I would love for them to use the projection technology at Islands of Adventure. Marvel Superhero Island could be turned into a city after a nuclear meltdown with the buildings melting away like Acid Assault. Toon Lagoon could be an alley full of freaks and the projectors could spray the building's facades with graffiti or blood. Jurassic Park can be a forest with spiders and snakes projected onto the ground. Finally, Poseidon's Fury could be turned into a volcano with cracks and lava building up to an eruption.

Part of me feels a shared IP this year is American Werewolf in London, which would be totally fine since we all know that was fully planned and ready to go in Orlando before Silent Hill was dropped on them. (It also seemed like it was planned in HW as well, but had to be replaced by TCM when Orlando had to shelve AWiL.)

What makes you think that?

What makes you think that?

If AWiL was to be in both parks last year, then it fits surprisingly well due to the situations that happened.

- In Orlando, they had a AWiL house all fully planned as a soundstage house. However, at the last minute they had Silent Hill dropped onto them and that house replaced AWiL.

- Around the same time in Hollywood, the maze codenamed "AMOK" was shelved last minute and replaced by TCM. Naturally the main question is why AMOK was shelved at the last minute.

If you look at it that "AMOK" was AWiL for HW, it fits the situation. They had to shelve it last minute because Orlando had to shelve theirs due to Silent Hill being dropped on them last minute. Can't exactly do a shared IP thing when only one park can put it up.

• Like 1

If your not a big fan of IP's then just dont plan on going to HHN that much within the next few yrs.. Just buy a 1 night ticket and see if you like it or not.. If you do then get a FFP.

I'm not a big fan of IP's myself but it is what it is.. There is nothing we can do about it.

I guess at this stage it just isn't that important to me either way if it's an IP - moreso the execution. I've pretty much loved all the Universal Classic Monster houses, the All Night Die-Ins and Silver Screams, Alice Cooper (of course) - heck, I even enjoyed Saw. OTOH, I really didn't like some of our other IP houses last year, and I can think of several other IP's over the years that really didn't float my boat. And then I can say the same thing about the original houses - many I've loved to near-death; some gave me the meh's.

I have faith in Orlando's creative team - just not so much faith in those that hold the purse strings, and therefore the whips. I understand the issues with presenting similar product to two different markets, so my concern I think comes more from Hollywood mis-judging marketing to Orlando (as Ryan has suggested before).

As always, this is only one woman's opinion, and YMMV :)

• Like 5

I like both. Part of the fun of IPs is that you get to step into the world of some of your favorite horror franchises. With the original houses you don't have preconceived expectations and it gives more creative freedom.

• Like 1

Murdy has stated Trickster is Hollywood only.

It could change, but Hollywood only for now.

EDIT: From Twitter

Thanks for the info on Trickster. I must've missed this Tweet. Hmm.. maybe we'll fly to Cali and check out their event again. I dunno. Might not work out of I'm flying to Orlando twice. I always, always prefer Orlando. I just think they are better at it.

Can I ask what would prompt An American Werewolf in London? I mean, I LOVED that movie as teenager when it first came out. I still think it's brilliant. Just wondering why now? Is it some kind of anniversary? Is there a reboot planned? I'm not objecting, just curious.

I like the theory about celebrating 100 years of universal horror with houses based on classics, but I can't imagine that being the entire theme of this years event. I wouldn't be against it, I just don't expect that.