Halloween Horror Nights 23 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

Pulsing, in theory, is better than a conga line, because it allows the actors to reset scares in between groups. By sending in groups of 5-6 people at a time, you should be able to experience every scare in a house, and not have poorly timed walkthroughs. It also gives the actors a bit more time to interact with the guests, as they don't have to immediately reset and go back into hiding to immediately spring out again. They can also target scares better to get the whole group, rather than just whoever happens to be nearest. Pulsing groups can also make thing s a bit more interactive. I had a scare actor split me up from my group at a local haunt last year, and got to go through the back half of the house by myself. It was a blast.

Pulsing also allows scare actors to sneak up behind you, which is something Universal can't really do with the current operational model. There's nothing like having a chainsaw rev up three feet behind you in a dark corridor.

True pulsing isn't really something Uni can do given their attendance numbers, but it's a WAY better haunt experience than a conga line. If I had the choice, I'd choose pulsing every time (assuming going solo wasn't an option :D).

Ah yes, Ryan... going it alone at Reaper's Realm.. such fond memories. They managed to scare the living CRAP out of me by separating all of us - it narrowed our group down to just me, my partner and my other friend. Of course, they made me go first - and holy hell did those actors have a field day. It was AWESOME.

As much as I complained about how long the wait seemed to be for that local haunt because of the pulsing - it definitely paid off. I know Universal can't do it to such a level though because the crowds are too immense. However, I think if they bring the event back up to 8 houses and actually had 2 or 3 decent shows, this might help things and maybe pulsing would work.

One of the best experiences I ever had at HHN was in 2011. I was in a group of five, and we were down for the second weekend the event was open. It was a Thursday night, and it was getting close to closing time. Three of my friends were exhausted (yes, cuz we're OLD - SOME of us weren't in "grade school in 2005" - and yes that comment made me feel ancient). Those three friends decided to go sit down by the coffee place near the exit (forget the name). My partner and I were still hyped and raring to go, so we said we'd meet them over there, but we wanted to go through Nightingales just one more time. There was no line, and to our shock, we got to the entrance, and there was no one there at all. It was just us. Talk about an adrenaline rush! We walked in together, and I just knew those actors were thinking "Oh hell yes, look at the bait walkin in the door!" And we definitely were bait. Those actors had a field day with us. It was one of the scariest houses I've ever been in because there was no one to hide behind, nowhere to go. I LOVED IT! I will never forget that experience, and it's one of the reasons we still travel to HHN for that second weekend (and now we come back and go again later in the event). I'm thinking that might've been my once in a lifetime to get a chance like that, but I am SO GLAD at happened at HHN - my favorite place on the planet.

• Like 3

I will always walk REALLY slow to separate my wife and I from people in front of us. So sorry if I'm holding anyone up! haha!

Also I'm 6'5 and 230... so I always get some girl (or girls) that I don't know hanging on to my backpack sharing it with my wife. Like Im the full back blocking for them. I guess as long as they aren't pick pocketing me its all good! :)

Edited by PeoriaBJJ
  • Like 4

I will always walk REALLY slow to separate my wife and I from people in front of us. So sorry if I'm holding anyone up! haha!

Also I'm 6'5 and 230... so I always get some girl (or girls) that I don't know hanging on to my backpack sharing it with my wife. Like Im the full back blocking for them. I guess as long as they aren't pick pocketing me its all good! :)

I've had my fair share of that happen as well. What they usually fail to realize is that scareactors look for the people hiding behind us tall people, as they can't see the scares coming.

• Like 2

I've had my fair share of that happen as well. What they usually fail to realize is that scareactors look for the people hiding behind us tall people, as they can't see the scares coming.

Exactly. Happens to me a lot at HHN. I don't really mind it so much. Makes me feel like i'm some kind of hero trying to rescue them. :D Last year while going through Gothic I literally had 2 girls hanging on to my shirt. At one point one of them got so scared she knocked my sunglasses right off my head. They were never seen again. The sunglasses I mean. ;)

Edited by HORRORLANDO
  • Like 1

the problem with doing that is that the people that are working inside will keep telling you to move and will ruin the scares lol. Sometimes I try to slow down when there is no one behind me, sometimes there is no one behind me at all but there is a group in front of me, so I try to wait for the group to move, but then the people working inside won't let me. They keep telling me to catch up to them... It got pretty annoying. Specially because I had no one behind me, but they wouldn't leave me alone.

• Like 1

Ah yes, the very rare "house to yourself" moment... My wife and I made a beeline for Saws and steam as soon as it opened one evening, they went nuts on us. I think the victim in the grinder actually may have grabbed us. The moment I'll never forget is when someon came around a corner with a knife in my face. I instinctually threw my head back-right into my wife's nose. I swear we thought it was broken. It was quite strange to see cleaver weilding steampunks with a look of utter concern on their faces. That was the very last time she let me walk in front of her in a house. Of course, even with her injury I did't feel the need to remind her about the exit chainsaw guy :)

• Like 1

You can get Alone-style experiences if you often and early enough.

I was by myself for my first trip through Winter's Night. It was still light out and the line was short. Security forced the group behind me to finish their beer before entering and I was ushered in without any other guests in sight.

HOLY CRAP! Every actor was after me! I actually didn't like the experience since I couldn't appreciate the great design, atmosphere and story since I was so tense from getting scared around each corner.

• Like 1

the problem with doing that is that the people that are working inside will keep telling you to move and will ruin the scares lol. Sometimes I try to slow down when there is no one behind me, sometimes there is no one behind me at all but there is a group in front of me, so I try to wait for the group to move, but then the people working inside won't let me. They keep telling me to catch up to them... It got pretty annoying. Specially because I had no one behind me, but they wouldn't leave me alone.

Every time in Gothic before the final wall scare with the zip line I would slow down because I never wanted to miss that epic scare. Never really worked out in my favor. I went 10/11 times and I think I only caught that scare 3 times at the most. That's some shit right there.

• Like 2

Would an icon possible this year? Or do you guys think it'll be another overarching concept year? Also hi, I'm an insanely long time lurker who finally decided to make an account. Nice to finally add a comment to a wishful thread :)

The event really doesn't really need an icon to be honest.... I know A LOT of you guys and gals love icons (I do to) but I think its time they stop doing icons for a while.. The last 2 icons weren't really that remember able.. Just love the event for what it is and have fun.

• Like 1

If they come up with a good concept for an icon then I'm all for it, but if its forced it won't be that good. That being said, since I missed the event in 2011 I would probably enjoy H.R. Bloodnguts as an icon.

I'm sry but I really dont think H.R. BloodenGutz can be a good icon.. For a house yes, but not for a whole event.. It screams to much of the Cryptkeeper

H.R. BloodenGutz made an excellent house and he was a genius character but he just couldn't be an icon for the whole event it wouldn't suit the theme of the event. He is more of a comical character and he just wouldn't fit the role IMO. However I would love to see another H.R. BloodenGutz house I really enjoyed it

I love Icons..But I don't mind if we don't have one this year. What I want to know is are we gonna have an actual theme this year? Or will we get another boring replica of last year (Random houses and a small story line in the street with IP advertisements...)...???

H.R. BloodenGutz made an excellent house and he was a genius character but he just couldn't be an icon for the whole event it wouldn't suit the theme of the event. He is more of a comical character and he just wouldn't fit the role IMO. However I would love to see another H.R. BloodenGutz house I really enjoyed it

BloodenGutz is a TV host so he could host a TV themed year (like the Usher did). They have several TV IP's to play with: Walking Dead, True Blood, Grimm, Hannibal, Bates Motel, Penn & Teller. Also a Hunger Games-style house would fit the TV theme.

BloodenGutz is too comical of a character for general audiences who only expect standard scary characters.

I think themes are overrated in general. I mean, which years actually had themes that carried through to most of the houses? I count Tales of Terror and Ripped From the Silver Screen, maybe Reflections of Fear. The rest have themes that are barely even communicated in the scare zones which was done last year with the theme of No Escape.

H. R. Bloodngutz is too comical for the GP masses?

One word: Jack

Jack is the beloved of the GP. He was definitely dark humor and comical. Over-the-top, tongue in cheek, cliche, dark humor comical.

The real issue would be reference. The Creature Feature style host is not that well-known by the masses anymore.

If H. R. Bloodbgutz ever got is day as an icon, I would not want to see him tied down to only IPs. There is too much creative potential to shackle him with them, and them alone.

Edited by mystiquephreeq
  • Like 4

The real issue would be reference. The Creature Feature style host is not that well-known by the masses anymore.

If H. R. Bloodbgutz ever got is day as an icon, I would not want to see him tied down to only IPs. There is too much creative potential to shackle him with them, and them alone.

I agree with this and think that Bloodengutz should remain a house icon, not an event icon. The other advantage of him remaining a house icon is that we get a house with varied themes, ideas, and sets that will still retain a consistent storyline just by having him present.

You can get Alone-style experiences if you often and early enough.

I was by myself for my first trip through Winter's Night. It was still light out and the line was short. Security forced the group behind me to finish their beer before entering and I was ushered in without any other guests in sight.

HOLY CRAP! Every actor was after me! I actually didn't like the experience since I couldn't appreciate the great design, atmosphere and story since I was so tense from getting scared around each corner.

I went through GOTHIC 5 times. 1 through 4 my wife and I missed the flying scare at the end.... we FINALLY saw it on our last night. We were so stoked we were high-fiving walking through the exit like a couple geeks!

• Like 1

H. R. Bloodngutz is too comical for the GP masses?

One word: Jack

Jack is the beloved of the GP. He was definitely dark humor and comical. Over-the-top, tongue in cheek, cliche, dark humor comical.

The real issue would be reference. The Creature Feature style host is not that well-known by the masses anymore

It's true that Jack is more of a comical icon but clowns are still pretty scary. Almost every theme park haunt as some scary clowns and there have been a precedent are scary/evil clowns in pop culture and history (Pennywise, the Joker, John Wayne Gacy)

Do you guys think an icon/host/whatever sort of like a governor type character would work. Like a normal looking guy that is just completely insane. Or does that equation require too much time and back story?

I bring this up bc everytime the Gov on TWD dead is talking my wife HAS to comment about how creepy he is... dude is a hell of an actor BTW.