Halloween Horror Nights 23 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

I LOVE overarching themes but I really think we wont see them again at HHN... Hell they never finished Roddy's 3yr arch.

However, I've been wrong before.. Who knows maybe they well come back but I dont see that happening.

Do we know how that arc was going to end? Very curious to know how Bloody Mary and Usher tied in together.

What's up everybody? I'm back on the boards for the year! (Sorry it took so long.)

It's great to see all the wishful thinking for this year already. I'm a little behind on reading over the pages, and I tried to go back a few, but here are some of my responses:

MAIN ICON - I think this is legitimate wishful thinking, but it will remain that way. I, too, enjoyed the days of through-line stories for all the houses with a main icon driving the story. Unfortunately, I think those days are since passed, and we will see more scattered and varied houses and SZs.

THE WALKING DEAD - I could certainly see this happening again, considering there has been a whole season and a half in the show where they're in a jail and Woodbury, completely different scenarios from the hospital, store, road and ranch house that were featured in this past years event. Again, there are definite logistics that come with doing another year of TWD, considering that was the main focus of the year before. It might not be the star of the year again, but I could see a sequel house happening.

ALTERNATE REALITY - Heather, your ideas were fantastic. The idea of an alternate reality theme could be amazing. What would happen if the website took you through the original story line (i.e. with your example of the election theme - the politicians campaign spots). For instance, you can explore the politician's home or offices in one reality (website), then you would be able to see the same exact building and scenarios, only in the alternate reality (in park). This, however, requires a decent amount of research on the website to get a full experience, and I think HHN has figured out that the majority of people who use their site get on for tickets, and then get off so they can just be scared at the event.

Ultimately, it's very cut and dry recently. There's a lot of ideas and wishful thinking that would be a great change of pace, but unmarketable to the generic public that comes through the gates.

For my own wishful thinking, of course some AMH: Asylum would be my ultimate horror house, but I fell in love with Dead Space 3 after its release, and would love to experience Issac Clarke's world first-hand.

http://www.viddler.com/embed/3355ec72/?f=1&offset=0&autoplay=0&secret=105073814&disablebranding=0&view_secret=105073814

Edited by JONNYFXM

Walking Dead was one of the tamest houses I've been to. the sets were okay but nothing to write home about.
The roof room for example was nothing interesting. the part where the sheriff zombie came out of the door was nothing really awesome either,

the barn was pretty lame

and Walking Dead had one of the worst endings for a house I've ever seen, it was kind of pathetic. Now I am not talking about the actors here, I am talking about the design of the last part of the house. it was pretty dumb.

the costumes for the actors for me were good actually. I know everyone kind of hated the zombie masks but I really liked the masks.

If they did another Walking Dead house they should at least let the actors actually scare people, don't understand why this house was the way it was when it came to the actors as well.

Yeah i'm kinda on the same page here with the no more the walking dead pattern that's been going on. TWD was the main focal point of HHN last year and it would be sorta weird seeing it again this year or next without Universal focusing mainly on it again since it's such a big thing. TWD is what pretty much brought in the crowds last year so for Universal to have to use TWD again they would basically have to reinvent it if you will in order for it to work. I'm sure it could be done. Now I don't see The Walking Dead tv show going anywhere anytime soon so perhaps maybe just wait a while and see what else can be made of it for future use at HHN.

I've been very sick for the last three days. Well, I still am but I'm at work... What are ya gonna do?

Anyway, the point is it gave me time to read (game of thrones), draw, and catch up on TWD. I hated the first two seasons of TWD.

I hated the characters, I hated how slow it was, and how every person the group came across is psychotic.

I watched season 3.... bc I had recorded it and what else was I supposed to do all day. I actually liked it. They killed off most of the crap characters.

I STILL don't care to see TWD at HHN again. It just isn't scary. being attacked by things that move that slow is laughable. Even the show I am incredulous as to how anyone ever gets bitten.

I've been very sick for the last three days. Well, I still am but I'm at work... What are ya gonna do?

Anyway, the point is it gave me time to read (game of thrones), draw, and catch up on TWD. I hated the first two seasons of TWD.

I hated the characters, I hated how slow it was, and how every person the group came across is psychotic.

I watched season 3.... bc I had recorded it and what else was I supposed to do all day. I actually liked it. They killed off most of the crap characters.

I STILL don't care to see TWD at HHN again. It just isn't scary. being attacked by things that move that slow is laughable. Even the show I am incredulous as to how anyone ever gets bitten.

JW hang your head in shame lol. Loving or hating the characters is one of the main strengths of the show. A lot of people tuned in each week to see Shane or Lori die lol. I think this is one of the reasons the house failed (no characters) although there were many other reasons too. Being understaffed was my main gripe but I seriously wouldn't be surprised if they did a house based on season 3 this year.

I liked season one. Specially the first 3 episodes are really good for me.

I agree that season 2 is pretty pretty bad. That is just because AMC wanted to stretch the budget as much as they could so you end up with a lot of pointless scenes. (the last episode was pretty good) I think is funny because most people get angry if you mention that season 2 sucks, and I always hear excuses like "If you want a zombie shooter type of show just play a video game then" but the point is that season 2 is pretty slow.

Season 3 has been good so far but the 2 new episodes now have been kind of slow.

the zombies in the show might not run, they might be kind of slow. But they are aggressive and really want to eat you. Which is not what we saw in the WD house. I understand that they probably told the actors to act slow like a walker, but they should have let the actors act aggressive towards you.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I'd love a house based on Stephen King's novels.

Oh yes, yes, it's been mentioned.. a LOT. I, too, would love it, but as I've learned quickly, apparently Mr. King doesn't want to play. <sigh> That's the short version. It's too bad since they could do some fantastic stuff with his work.

• Like 1

NO MORE WALKING DEAD. That's what made it so crowded last year...

You realize that Universal is a business and that they want to keep attendance high. USF's new board of directors clearly want more IP's in the park (Potter, Transformers, Simpsons) and the Walking Dead is no different.

I want to see a Terra Curentas sequel as much as the next person but it's not gonna happen for a while. Though Your Luck Has Run Out had 8 houses that had nothing to do with each other and all of them were amazing.

• Like 1

^ But a lot of them were original or had their own original take on something. That's what made it amazing. I think AMC having a hand in everything is what ultimately ruined it. As for Silent Hill and P&T...I don't know why they were such lackluster houses but they were. Hopefully this year, if we do have a heavy IP year, hopefully they can do with the houses what they did with Poe and The Thing in 2011....I think it would be a far jump over the IP houses we got last year....

Money talks!

IP's bring in money and that's what Universal (A company as a whole wants)

Nothing against Murdy but he's been IP heavy since he started HHN again in 06 and I dont see him slowing down... He has been very successful with the IP's,

Hell 2007 was very popular here with the fans and GP.. It just sells

I love original houses but I dont see them doing A LOT like they use to.. Maybe 1 or 2 of them every yr.

A new age of Darkness is here alright...

• Like 3

In the past I haven't minded the IP's. But last year TWD and SH were my least favorite houses. Maybe A&D's hands were somewhat tied with what they could do with the properties. I think that was pretty well know about TWD maze anyway.

You know I couldnt make it down for 2007 (in fact moved back to IL from Vero Beach right before) and thats one regret I'll always have bc it looked fantastic! And full of IP's!

It was crowded, saw security and a drunk get punched in the same night, waited 2 hours for TCM (1.5 for Blood Bath), didn't make it to Jason or Jack's house, and there was almost zero street presence.

But.. I still had a good time. Dead Silence, PSHFTH, Freddy, and TCM are still top houses.

I don't think I.P's are all bad. Its the focus of the event. If the focus is the event, creativity, and scares then great.

If its about getting bodies in the park, ticket sales, and selling merchandise... then no.

• Like 4

Money talks!

IP's bring in money and that's what Universal (A company as a whole wants)

Nothing against Murdy but he's been IP heavy since he started HHN again in 06 and I dont see him slowing down... He has been very successful with the IP's,

Hell 2007 was very popular here with the fans and GP.. It just sells

I love original houses but I dont see them doing A LOT like they use to.. Maybe 1 or 2 of them every yr.

A new age of Darkness is here alright...

It's not the IPs, it's how hot they are. I'm confident that without TWD the crowds would be much smaller. I don't think the other three IPs could draw the same amount of people that last year did. I wonder what would happen if there isn't a TWD house this year or if they have a equally popular IP this year which is a long shot.

Edited by mastermind22

In the past I haven't minded the IP's. But last year TWD and SH were my least favorite houses. Maybe A&D's hands were somewhat tied with what they could do with the properties. I think that was pretty well know about TWD maze anyway.

You know I couldnt make it down for 2007 (in fact moved back to IL from Vero Beach right before) and thats one regret I'll always have bc it looked fantastic! And full of IP's!

I used to defend IPs because some of my favorite houses were IPs. I loved 2007 and I loved the houses in 2009 as well. 2007 did not had a lot going on in the streets, but I really loved the houses that year. I don't think any of them were bad. I really loved the Friday the 13th house, I did that house like 50 times at least.

But it all changed in 2012, from the years I've been attending HHN last year was the only one that I kind of regretted buying the FFPP, The houses were okay but not great, the park was too crowded, the hordes were okay but I prefer scarezones. It was just not the best year for me. The only house I cared about was Silent Hill and it was kind of a letdown. the whole event was "okay" but not great. I guess it had to do with the constructions going on and the lack of space as well, I don't know, it was just a weird year.

I don't know how to feel about Ips anymore. I used to like them but last year is made me change my mind a little.

I don't think I.P's are all bad. Its the focus of the event. If the focus is the event, creativity, and scares then great.

If its about getting bodies in the park, ticket sales, and selling merchandise... then no.

I agree with this. I'll take HHN pre-2010 any year!

• Like 5