Halloween Horror Nights 23 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

It's hard to say whether or not that we will see something from the icon years again. Anything prior to HHN XX anyways. Saw's N Steam I could see becoming a franchise house like Body Collectors or Psychoscareapy. And if they do ever use H.R. Bloodengutz again it should only be for an icon. It would just make more sense in my opinion.

I'm okay with WHATEVER HHN does seeing as they've never disappointed me. 2013 is gonna be my 10th year in a row at HHN and i hope its amazing(as it always is)

But if i had to pick some random stuff to put out there, it would be....

1. CHAINSAWS, MORE AND MORE. just cuz i love shitting my pants everytime i hear the noise getting closer and closer. Maybe mix some Dude chainsaws with some crazy chick chainsaws. Cuz the Prisoners last year were PSYCHOTIC<3

2. Make the park creepier. Like when i went to HHN 2004, 2005, & 2007, the music at the entrance scared me, the fog, the dark lighting, everything inside the park made me paranoid to go keep walking. I feel like HHN should stop using Soundtrack music and return to Nox Arcana & Midnight Syndicate,

HHN needs to us feel like we're in a dark nightmare, and not in a 6 hour theme park event.

3. Clowns would be nice.... Clowns with chainsaws would be nicer...

4. Chick Dancers would be awesome c;

5. Make the Scareactors less picture friendly (unless its us HNN members, then be as friendly as you want with us XD) I hate going into a scarezone and finding camera flashes thrown everywhere like its a Disney character meet & greet. Not only does it ruin the experience, but it sometimes takes time away from the actors that wanna scare instead of having a camera shoved in their faces every 2 seconds.

And 6. Better scenery. Like in some zones/houses it feels like what i buy at party city would be WAY scarier. i know HHN has problems cuz of money and stuff, thats understandable, but at least make it seem like you guys worked hard on it. (If that sentence seemed insulting i apologize.... )

last thing, shows i could care less, as long as Bill&Ted is there im cool with it

I wish they could open T2:3D during HHN hours :(

I really wish they did a clowns with chainsaws scarezone. Really really really wish for that one. I could just picture people freaking out.

I agree about making the park creepier, I Agree about the music at the gates and the atmosphere of the park being creepier before, They kind of lost that the past couple of years.

Completely agree, I don't think we have heard anything like Midnight Syndicate for a while now. I miss that. for me the last year that the park and the gate felt really really creepy was 2008.

and, Ah.... the Camera debate... here we go again lol.

They did that in 2011. They told the actors NOT to let anyone take pics of them. It was awful. Actors would stop acting and scaring people to cover their faces for pics, they would break character in doing so.

Now I completely agree that people should NOT pose with the actors, actors should not be asked for pose in pics.

But We as park goers should be allowed to take pics of actors working the event. This is Still a theme park event and people will want to have pictures of their memories. I mean, who doesn't have pics of HHN? We ALL do, we All have pictures of the scarezones.

now It would not be fair to do what they did in 2011. but like I said, Posing with actors: Bad,

being able to take pictures of actors working the streets : Good

I believe they had a really really nice balance of that in 2012, actors did their job and stayed in character but we were able to take pics as well. That was a really nice balance.

CATACOMBS is really the only house I really want to see come back, perhaps on a soundstage. more fleshed out. I really wish they did a sequel to Catacombs. that house was amazing.

Edited by Mr. Black

Also:

-Maybe Im too old, or not nerdy enough, but thats the first Harlem Shake video Ive watched. Im not sure what is going on. Is this the new macarena or something?

-Marilyn Manson would make a GREAT house. Not a HUGE fan of his music but its undeniable that his videos are amazingly horror. They should let him design one or hire one of the guys that directed one of the creepier vids as a consultant. Industrial metal is perfect for a maze and the scenery would be epic. Isn't MM a Florida guy??

-and a sequel to Catacombs would be welcomed! I just read a story of a girls body that was found in some catacombs in the Ukraine after 2 years. She was at a party down there, got drunk, got lost, got dead.

No more aging rockers please. No music houses either. I swear we are becoming Hollywood.

i went through my Antichrist superstar phase... in 96... in college. It's old hat. Plus the guy is a total self-absorbed jerk... I don't back the product of people I don't like.

I'm in the boat that music does not translate to a house. I would say.. if any artist HAS to be at HHN. I guess Rob zombie bc he is actually a graphic artist but its been done and i don't really want him.

i guess clowns will come back sooner or later... I was hoping it would be later. Mainly bc of how much they have been used since... well the whole event. these few clown-less years have been bliss.

I know its hard to come up with new ways to scare people. But so many people always says its not scary enough and they want something new... But then they give examples of long standing, played out ideas. IDK. I had this discussion with someone the other day (not about HHN but in general) people just want old and familia. It does show in HHN as well. When the houses are being revealed people think they will suck (and consequently want x to come back) as it is unfamiliar and they can't envision the idea. Afterwards they complain about preceding ideas stating they should be like the very idea they originally said would suck.

I like when new things are tried. It makes the event evolve. Like the legions last year and the Horror unearthed game. you get bad with the good but at least the event is moving forward. I know you have to make somethings familiar. but do we really need 4 IP's? can we not just let A&D do what they are good at?

• Like 6

No more aging rockers please. No music houses either. I swear we are becoming Hollywood.

i went through my Antichrist superstar phase... in 96... in college. It's old hat. Plus the guy is a total self-absorbed jerk... I don't back the product of people I don't like.

I'm in the boat that music does not translate to a house. I would say.. if any artist HAS to be at HHN. I guess Rob zombie bc he is actually a graphic artist but its been done and i don't really want him.

i guess clowns will come back sooner or later... I was hoping it would be later. Mainly bc of how much they have been used since... well the whole event. these few clown-less years have been bliss.

I know its hard to come up with new ways to scare people. But so many people always says its not scary enough and they want something new... But then they give examples of long standing, played out ideas. IDK. I had this discussion with someone the other day (not about HHN but in general) people just want old and familia. It does show in HHN as well. When the houses are being revealed people think they will suck (and consequently want x to come back) as it is unfamiliar and they can't envision the idea. Afterwards they complain about preceding ideas stating they should be like the very idea they originally said would suck.

I like when new things are tried. It makes the event evolve. Like the legions last year and the Horror unearthed game. you get bad with the good but at least the event is moving forward. I know you have to make somethings familiar. but do we really need 4 IP's? can we not just let A&D do what they are good at?

I agree that Rob Zombie should come to HHN Orlando, I really want that.

As far as Manson, he is a self-absorbed jerk LOL. about My Manson posts were from the "Worst of Facebook" thread, when someone suggested Manson for the event which was included in the worst of facebook post. But I was just saying how Manson could work. and could work well. at least visually if anything.

I think I Would rather see Manson that Cooper again.

As far as clowns. Besides the clown house in 2007 I've never seen clowns. I've never seen a clown scarezone, (The half assed zone in the middle of 2007 doesn't really count for me)

I guess clowns are cheesy and tired but I wish they did clowns with chainsaws at least once again. Specially if they used weird funny clown music, I think that would be a really fun zone to see. I know it has been done but I would like to see that.

I said this before too, but seeing how much of a Home run it was for them to use the same IPs in 2012 I don't see how we will see all original houses in Orlando. Kinda seems like a winning formula as far as ticket sales go to have both events share the ips like they did last year. I think that will happen again this year.

• Like 1

I agree. Given ticket sales last year, I think ip's are here to stay.

Given the Simpsons expansion, I think it's only a matter of time until we see clowns somewhere in that area. Krustyland would be a good fit for that theme.

I don't even want Rob Zombie in Orlando. If nothing else, his films should show that he doesn't translate to a purely visual medium well. The only film of his that's decent is Devil's Rejects, and it's because of the characters, not the actions or visuals. He doesn't really bring anything to the table that we haven't already seen countless times before in much better things. If we're going to have a psychotic hillbilly house or industrial nightmare house, I'd rather A&D come up with their own thing. It'll end up being a much stronger haunt.

You are correct, the higher ups saw that as a slam dunk most definitely.

We will almost definitely see the mixture of IPs and Original concepts just like last year. I don't even expect them to bring the missing house back honestly.

I know... and I guess its just me having seen everything HHN has had to offer over the years. I just got burned out on clowns with midway, Jack, and all his houses over the years. Its a personal preference and I know a lot of the younger members weren't there for all that. I guess that is why fads come and go in circles (with really nothing being truly original).

I just never liked Hollywood's formula and, at least until recently, I thought I was in the majority. But c'est la vie... Nothing has ever made it so horrible I decided not to come back. Even with all the disappointing aspects last year, I feel it was a net positive experience for me.

Speaking of IPs, here is something to chew on. Universal found Mama to be a huge success and they want sequels.

With Mama grossing nearly $90 million worldwide on its meager $15 million budget, the world falling head over heels in love with the delightfully-quirky and outrageously-outspoken Mama, Universal Pictures is unsurprisingly now looking at doing some sequels.

"We think there's potential for a Mama franchise," said the studio's president of international, David Kosse, speaking to ScreenDaily. "We'd like to do another one. But those conversations are in the early stages."

As those who've seen Mama know (spoilers!), the film closes with the ghostly Mama seemingly appeased--or at least turned into bugs--having successfully jumped off a cliff with one of Jessica Chastain's adopted kids before hitting a branch and exploding into butterflies. It's not yet clear if the sequel would focus on Chastain or Mama's new life as an insect colony. Or maybe the irrepressible Mama would revert back to gross human form, and begin haunting anew with the little girl in Brandon T. Jackson's role?

• Like 2

In regard to the Mama film becoming a franchise....

Doesn't it seem that if a film makes a dollar at the box office they instantly give the go ahead on the next and the next?

I haven't seen Mama so I cant speak on that film but it seems a lot of movies start off strong and then are raped by horrid sequels.

Remember how good Saw was... then Saw 2 was okay... then Saw 3 thru 38 were unwatchable IMO.

I guess this is for another thread though! sorry!

I agree. Given ticket sales last year, I think ip's are here to stay.

Given the Simpsons expansion, I think it's only a matter of time until we see clowns somewhere in that area. Krustyland would be a good fit for that theme.

I don't even want Rob Zombie in Orlando. If nothing else, his films should show that he doesn't translate to a purely visual medium well. The only film of his that's decent is Devil's Rejects, and it's because of the characters, not the actions or visuals. He doesn't really bring anything to the table that we haven't already seen countless times before in much better things. If we're going to have a psychotic hillbilly house or industrial nightmare house, I'd rather A&D come up with their own thing. It'll end up being a much stronger haunt.

thats only because you are thinking about his movies only. If they made a RobZombie house based on his videos and his music it would be really cool. At least it would be colorful and psychedelic. He loves to use old horror movies for his concerts and evil robots and aliens, skulls, monsters, cartoons, and fireworks. His concerts are full of props and crazy costumes and pumpkins and again robots and skeletons. He kind of embodies the Halloween and horror cultures and makes art with them.

His CD booklets are the same, very colorful and crazy. he is very theatrical.

Rob Zombie is a very very visual artist. His movies and his music videos/concerts are totally different form each other.

Rob Zombie is a true Horror Metal musician

I mean to me this screams Halloween horror nights

http://youtu.be/EqQuihD0hoI

ogfmcD5.jpg?1

gzReKnN.jpg?1

That is true as well, They could make a NIN house if they wanted to. visually at least I could see that totally working. ( I mean, wishful thinking here. )

Edited by Mr. Black

As with Alice Cooper I dont think Orlando has the audience for Rob Zombie.. He just screams Hollywood.

I don't know, Rob Zombie just did a tour and played here a couple of shows, (he played Tampa)

he is also having a movie coming out. Cooper might be more iconic but I think people are more aware of Zombie just because of his work in horror movies. Is true that he might not have as many fans as Cooper but I think more people know about Zombie because of the Halloween movies. at least the younger crowds.

thats only because you are thinking about his movies only. If they made a RobZombie house based on his videos and his music it would be really cool. At least it would be colorful and psychedelic. He loves to use old horror movies for his concerts and evil robots and aliens, skulls, monsters, cartoons, and fireworks. His concerts are full of props and crazy costumes and pumpkins and again robots and skeletons. He kind of embodies the Halloween and horror cultures and makes art with them.

His CD booklets are the same, very colorful and crazy. he is very theatrical.

Rob Zombie is a very very visual artist. His movies and his music videos/concerts are totally different form each other.

Rob Zombie is a true Horror Metal musician

I mean to me this screams Halloween horror nights

http://youtu.be/EqQuihD0hoI

ogfmcD5.jpg?1

gzReKnN.jpg?1

I'm very familiar with Zombie's work, and enjoy quite a bit of it. So please don't think this is coming from a place of just general indifference to the artist. It comes through quite clear that he's a fan of the genre. But that's the problem when it would come to a house. He's way too referential. For example, Dragula has clips from a ton of movies in it, features the monster from an old Bela Lugosi serial, and even Dragula itself is the name of the Munsters' Speedster (and sort of appears in the video. Not sure if it's actually that car, or if that car was made up to look like it). Living Dead Girl is just his retelling of Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. House of 1,000 Corpses (the song and movie) is his love letter to Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hills Have Eyes, and all of those types of films. And this runs rampant through all of his stuff.

As music videos, and to listen to, it can be pretty great. But as a house, if all he's going to do is reference other things, why even have him in the process at all? All we'll get is another disjointed mess with cool imagery and no consistency.

And personally, I think that's why his movies generally aren't that great. Hollywood has run the same stories and tropes into the ground. So when Zombie does something referential, it comes across as stagnant, old, and uninspired. Devil's Rejects was good, because he actually took some time to flesh out and develop his characters a bit. But he wouldn't be able to do any of that in a haunt. So I'd rather just say, no thanks.

• Like 1

I went thru the Rob Zombie house in Hollywood the year before last. I didn't bother going thru a second time. It was all hype, IMHO. We walked out th exit and both said, "What the hell was THAT". I'd give it a Meh... Seriously, you guys.. let's forget the musicians. No matter what, their image and reputation will always come ahead of anything else. It's the "look at me" syndrome, and I don't think it translates well to what HHN is about. Of course, again, just my opinion.

What about Night Gallery? When you all mentioned old tv shows like Twilight Zone - I immediately thought - I always liked Night Gallery better. I'm about Murdy's age if you all are right at yoru guess.. and I remember Night Gallery episodes scaring the crap out of me as a kid.

• Like 3

I've just mainly been lurking lately but I wanted to throw my 2 cents into the conversation about Rob Zombie and other musicians. I'd be all for Rob Zombie, Alice Cooper and NIN to perform at HHN. I'd rather they didn't design houses unless it was one house for all of heavy metal. I'm talking a house with a room designed by or themed to each, Zombie, Cooper, NIN, Megadeath, Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Slayer.......... I know it will never happen considering royalty costs and the logistics of having that many people have input into a house. I'm just not into houses designed by celebrities, they have always fallen short of my expectations. Maybe my expectations are just too high but I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I would absolutely love for them to add concerts each weekend and have the artists mentioned perform but I don't think that will happen either but this is wishful thinking lol

On the topic of music houses, I personally did not like AC at all last year. Sure, the sets looked nice, but the house was very reminiscent of what a house in Hollywood would look like, imo. Scareactors out in the open, not really any space to scare, not enough actors, and a few very pointless rooms (i still don't see the need to have the exact same scene with a different actor in the beginning of the house and towards the end). However, if they were to ever do another music house again, i would want them to do "The Wall" by Pink Floyd. That album/movie would translate to an excellent house i think. Especially with the characters already created through the movie. The album tells a very coherent storyline that could translate to a great house, imo.

I expect to see a Mama house as much as i expect to see the AWIL and urban legend house concepts from last year. They all have a very good chance to become part of the event.

5. Make the Scareactors less picture friendly (unless its us HNN members, then be as friendly as you want with us XD) I hate going into a scarezone and finding camera flashes thrown everywhere like its a Disney character meet & greet. Not only does it ruin the experience, but it sometimes takes time away from the actors that wanna scare instead of having a camera shoved in their faces every 2 seconds.

Scareactors do have the option to say no to pictures with people. If they were not aloud to take pictures with people, that would not stop all the flash photography or just pictures in general. People would still be taking pictures (just not with the actors). I know a decent amount of scareactors and most of the ones that work the streets and like to work the streets are the type that don't mind taking pictures with people. Not all of them are this way, of course, but you see my point. The ones that don't like pictures deny them, it's as simple as that. In fact, most actually like the attention and like to see the pictures of themselves in their roles online and in videos as well.

I always (and others as well) had an inkling that Nightingales would return. I feel that would be a great franchise house and I'd like to see what would be next for them.

Because other people mentioned artist they'd like to see work with HHN, one in particular comes to mind. I think it would be really cool to see something from Jhonen Vasquez. His art style is dark and so are his stories/shows. He created Invader Zim, which was a kids show, but was extremely dark. One episode involved the main character, an alien named Zim, searching for ways to look more human in an attempt to blend in with his classmates. His consensus was to eat and swallow the organs of children at his school (because aliens didn't have human organs in this show). At the end of the episode he becomes so bloated with the organs of children at the school (or Skool - yeah that's actually how they spelled it :lol:), that while speaking to someone, an intestine falls out his mouth and he quickly slurps it back up and acts as if nothing happens. Classic Nickelodeon is where it's at. Also, the show got canceled because in the final episode (which I don't think aired - I could be wrong on this), he actually killed his greatest foe (who was of course a child - they were all at Elementary level I believe).

Now I'm not saying an Invader Zim house, but another Vasquez story that is wonderful is Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. With a title like that, need I say more? This would translate well in my opinion.

jthm!.gif

johnny_the_homicidal_maniac_by_Abstractg

• Like 1

I'm very familiar with Zombie's work, and enjoy quite a bit of it. So please don't think this is coming from a place of just general indifference to the artist. It comes through quite clear that he's a fan of the genre. But that's the problem when it would come to a house. He's way too referential. For example, Dragula has clips from a ton of movies in it, features the monster from an old Bela Lugosi serial, and even Dragula itself is the name of the Munsters' Speedster (and sort of appears in the video. Not sure if it's actually that car, or if that car was made up to look like it). Living Dead Girl is just his retelling of Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. House of 1,000 Corpses (the song and movie) is his love letter to Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hills Have Eyes, and all of those types of films. And this runs rampant through all of his stuff.

As music videos, and to listen to, it can be pretty great. But as a house, if all he's going to do is reference other things, why even have him in the process at all? All we'll get is another disjointed mess with cool imagery and no consistency.

And personally, I think that's why his movies generally aren't that great. Hollywood has run the same stories and tropes into the ground. So when Zombie does something referential, it comes across as stagnant, old, and uninspired. Devil's Rejects was good, because he actually took some time to flesh out and develop his characters a bit. But he wouldn't be able to do any of that in a haunt. So I'd rather just say, no thanks.

Not necessarily, he does reference other things but he has worked with HHN in the past like 3 times, he knows how mazes/houses work and if they decided to ask him to make a house for Orlando I am sure it would be both references to other horror movies mixed with original content.

I just think it would be cool. Like I said before he is one of the most visual-horror driven artists. I think it would make a really good house. at least it would be wild and colorful.

A Zombie house would probably be a lot, a lot better than the Alice house we got. I know the Alice house has a lot of fans here and I loved the actors working that house but Ii think if they did a Zombie house for us it would be nicer.

Harlem Shake is only 30 seconds long lol :lol: I wonder if they will make it last longer for Bill and Ted.

• Like 1