Halloween Horror Nights 23 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

I am a major fan of TWD, but I have to completely agree with you....they need to leave it to television and never, ever, ever have a Walking Dead house again. Ever. Seriously. Never.

The concept was great and the props were wonderful, but that was the one house I was looking forward to the most and the one that disappointed me the most. For it being all about zombies, I think we encountered maybe 8 in the entire house...perhaps it was zombie coffee break time when we went through. And the Alice Cooper house, it was, different...I think I dislike it simply because I got punched in the jaw there by a drunk guy, yeah, not the kind of fond memory I like to have a house.

I would love to see something Dean Koontz or Stephen King oriented, or how about just going back to the old traditional amazing houses we once had? No big names, televisions or movies associated with them, just gorgeous houses with amazing set designs and costumes, like say Gothic from this year or the Hallow, S.S. Frightanic, Scary Tales??? A girl can dream, right?

I agree with this completely.

I have a feeling where sharing events with Hollywood....

I think it's inevitable that we will share some of the IP's with Hollywood but I doubt we'll actually share the whole event. IP's bring in the general public so marketing love them and it makes sense from a costing point if view to share the big name IP's over both parks. Original houses usually win house of the year in Orlando and they are aware of that. A&D also prefer original houses and although they don't make all the decisions they will fight tooth and nail for non IP houses. I personally think you might see a very similar set up to last year after its success for them. Kinda hoping we do less IP's and more original but guess we'll have to wait and see. One good indication is that they appear to be using The Legendary Truth this year and I'm not aware of Hollywood having much to do with that previously. I'm almost certain that we'll be getting the Horror Unearthed card swiping back this year too but in an expanded version. I can't state strongly enough how bad it would be if they just copied Hollywoods event and I just can't believe they would do that.

Happy Groundhog day folks.

Yeah last year the event sold out. When was the last time that happened? '07? IP's bring the uninitiated in and make universal's wallet fat.

We've already seen that they aren't concerned with tradition but what brings in the money. (i.e. destroying all the rides that made universal famous in favor of outside IPs) So why would it be different with HHN?

We will get IPs.. which isn't all bad... Hollywood still has the reigns... eh, I don't care soo much I just don't want aging rocker houses (zombie, AC) and I don't like how they reveal EVERYTHING before you go.

A&D still have creative freedom to an extent and so we still get good houses like Gothic and Dead End. 99% sure the game will be back and that was fun.

But every year everyone frets and freaks out... mostly, everything works out. I enjoyed last year despite all the disappointments, changes, and crowds. All of it is to be expected. The event is ever changing and we all have our glory years. There will always be years that are better than others. I'll go every year anyway. Are there things I want to see change? Of course. But Universal is a business and people above the creative folks call the shots. So i'm sure it is a struggle to get their visions to come to fruition.

• Like 2

Just got home from the Penn & Teller show at Hard Rock Orlando and found out that TNA Wrestling will be leaving Soundstage 21 permanently in March. Possible house location? It is one of the bigger SSs they have.

Just a quick clarification, TNA Impact Wrestling will be taking their show on the road following the March 7th show at Universal, but company president Dixie Carter is quoted saying "We are so grateful to Universal for being such fantastic partners and look forward to finding other ways to work together in the future", in addition to other indications that they'll be back for one-off appearances in the future. That being said, I believe that Soundstage 21 will be used for other production soon, with the door open to brief TNA returns.

Besides, I personally have strong doubts that Universal would want half of the houses for the event to be squashed into one corner of the park. I'd say look for another building to possibly become an 8th location or replace the Parade Building. Or not, I'm not privy to such information, if we get the same setup as 22 for 23, adding the crowd-eating TF-3D, I'd be fine. Jaws houses were never very good anyway.

• Like 1

Happy Groundhog day folks.

Yeah last year the event sold out. When was the last time that happened? '07? IP's bring the uninitiated in and make universal's wallet fat.

We've already seen that they aren't concerned with tradition but what brings in the money. (i.e. destroying all the rides that made universal famous in favor of outside IPs) So why would it be different with HHN?

We will get IPs.. which isn't all bad... Hollywood still has the reigns... eh, I don't care soo much I just don't want aging rocker houses (zombie, AC) and I don't like how they reveal EVERYTHING before you go.

A&D still have creative freedom to an extent and so we still get good houses like Gothic and Dead End. 99% sure the game will be back and that was fun.

But every year everyone frets and freaks out... mostly, everything works out. I enjoyed last year despite all the disappointments, changes, and crowds. All of it is to be expected. The event is ever changing and we all have our glory years. There will always be years that are better than others. I'll go every year anyway. Are there things I want to see change? Of course. But Universal is a business and people above the creative folks call the shots. So i'm sure it is a struggle to get their visions to come to fruition.

I enjoyed last year.... mostly, but if I have to be honest 22 was the most disappointing year for me so far since I started coming. I know the houses maybe were worst in the past, but so far 22 was the event I was least excited for. I did love the streets and I liked the houses so the event didn't suck or anything, I didn't hate it but my excitement for Halloween Horror Nights died a tiny bit last year. Specially thinking about how we could have had an original year until they combined the IPs for the 2 parks, I know it sounds stupid but from all the years last year was the one I kind of enjoyed the least

(I still enjoyed it a lot, the actors will always make the event for me, but If I had a time machine I Would never go back to 2012 lol :lol: )

The reason I Say this is because I have the feeling that we might get another IP year this year, and we might share the houses with Hollywood again, (Probably get the Alice Cooper sequel here) Also last year made so much money for them it probably means it would be smart for them to combine events again. Last year was a complete success for them, It wouldn't even surprise me one bit if we got sequels to Walking Dead and AC. We might now of course. But I will not be surprised if they do, I am kind of expecting another IP year that is connected to Hollywood. As a business move it only makes sense since 22 made so much money.

Edited by Mr. Black

I wish we could have a killer plant monster house. Think of Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors as inspiration. Maybe half human and half plant monsters could be in there as well. That would be kind of cool, me thinks.

i dont know why but im getting a feeling that slender will be coming....

i wouldn't hate it but I have never understood why people think he is scary, he looks cool though, but I would never be scared of him lol.

They could even make the props look like The Thing creatures but with plants instead, I like this idea a lot (As long as they made it closer to the Thing and Not on Creatures i would like that.) They could make it look like a building that got completely covered in vines and plants, it would be pretty cool (they could even have a girl with red hair lol)

I don't think Insane Asylum is very scary lol.

I don't think Insane Asylum is very scary lol.

Read the histories of them, and you may change your mind. The "treatments" that were used in the past, the sanitary conditions, the abuse of patients, and experimentation done on them could change your mind.

The patients were not the "frightening" element of asylums. The staff could be absolutely terrifying though.

Edited by mystiquephreeq
  • Like 2

You know what I'd love to see make a return? A set scarezone using the Nightmaze gate idea. It was such a great concept that was executed poorly if you ask me. I think a prisoners-style scarezone with swinging and moving chain link fences could be really intense. It also allows for the return of a female chainsaw group, which made me pee a little a few times last year.

Edited by Coast
  • Like 1

Read the histories of them, and you may change your mind. The "treatments" that were used in the past, the sanitary conditions, the abuse of patients, and experimentation done on them could change your mind.

The patients were not the "frightening" element of asylums. The staff could be absolutely terrifying though.

yeah I'm sure the real places were pretty disturbing and awful, But houses based on asylums are my least favorite houses, just doesn't do anything for me really. I don't hate them, I just don't love them either.

that would actually be pretty cool, leave out the darkness park of the zone and focus on the gates and like you said the prisoners and It would be pretty cool. I do agree Nightmaze was a cool idea but it was executed poorly.

Now there's some wishful thinking. Let's put the Halloween back into Halloween Horror Nights. Not just as a touch here and there, but as a solid focus of the event. Sure there have been sporadic houses and scare zones here and there, but let's put a focus on it.

If they need ip's, bring in Halloween 1 or 3, and Trick r' Treat. And I mean full blown, footie pajama wearing, burlap sack on his head, stab you with a sucker Sam, not a scare zone sort of based on a particular story in the movie. Throw in a corn maze (scare zone would work, house would be better), scarecrows with glowing jack o lantern heads (as scare actors, not props), maybe a house based on Samhain, and the glorious return of Esqueleto Muerte as a house, and I will be a completely happy camper. It is called HALLOWEEN Horror Nights after all, not just Horror Nights.

Will any of this to actually happen? Probably not. But much like Mystique above, it's my fantasy world, that's how I choose to live in it. :)

I'm old school, I like my Halloween traditional, end of story and EVERYTHING you just posted Ryan, yes, yes and yes!!!

Gothic was a million times better than TWD and as I stated before, I'm a major fan of TWD. I think the major issue with TWD was, all great sets, not nearly enough walkers to make it feel like a true zombie oriented house.

THAT is an awesome idea!

• Like 1

You know what I'd love to see make a return? A set scarezone using the Nightmaze gate idea. It was such a great concept that was executed poorly if you ask me. I think a prisoners-style scarezone with swinging and moving chain link fences could be really intense. It also allows for the return of a female chainsaw group, which made me pee a little a few times last year.

That makes me think of the original Run house. Pretty darned brightly lit, but lots of sounds effects and I thought it was a huge amount of fun. Put that in the streets like you suggest, and I think that would be a great use of the concept.

• Like 2

i wouldn't hate it but I have never understood why people think he is scary, he looks cool though, but I would never be scared of him lol.

Slender himself isn't very scary, but I think the thing about him that people find creepy is his story or lack there of. You don't know really anything about him, and also the fact that he targets children I think strikes a nail with people. It was those things that made me shudder a bit when I first found out what he was, but now I don't find him scary, I find him vastly overrated.

If I'm going to be honest, every year - before the full reveal, I always freak out that they're might be a spider themed house. I would die! You couldn't get me to step in that. Not a chance. It's funny actually because everyone has their fears or that one fear, whether it be something quirky (like dolls or old people, yes I'm being serious haha), or mental institutions ect, the only thing that makes me shudder upon thinking about it is spiders. Nothing else. Pretty lame I know.

Clowns scared me when I was very young, but not anymore. In fact, I'd like some sort of carnival theme to a scarezone/horde or even a house. Bring it on! :chainsaw:

----

I think it would be cool if they did a sequel scarezone to Fright Yard. It doesn't have to connect IOA or Uni, it can just be in one park. I just thought that would be neat.