Halloween Horror Nights 23 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

Trying to look forward I know the Highly acclaimed sundance film "You're Next" is being officially released around hhn time

(Think strangers with traditional masks)

25q64av.jpg

That's a shiny photo you got there, JW. :3

But, man! What we know as Traditional or Skool Children masks are becoming more popular than ever before. I know they've been around for some time now - the use of them in scary, creepy, and chilling ways, because it works. Seeing a human being wearing an animal mask is already odd enough, add a random location (railroads, woods, ect) and then make it creepy (as if it already isn't)- it all works because it doesn't fit and doesn't make sense; it's disorienting, and that's the name of the game. That is one of the biggest reasons why I love that kind of imagery so much. But, as I said, it's becoming popular, whether in the use to be creepy, or just odd and ironic. I mean if you do a Tumblr search of people wearing animal masks, you'll find a lot of pictures. I have nothing wrong with this, like I said, I enjoy this imagery and think it's cool - I just hope it doesn't loose it's charm, especially in the horror industry. It would be a shame to see an over saturation of this. I mean that is possible...a lot of people view traditional things as scary, even when they weren't meant to be. I mean look up old fashioned Halloween costumes...the supposed to be cuter ones often are the creepier ones, which would make sense why they are being used nowadays.

Nothing wrong with this film for using them, nothing wrong at all....I'm just saying I hope they don't become overused in the future. They're creepy, and I'd like them to remain with that status.

*And just a note in case someone brings it up....I know I said I don't want them to become overused, yet I want Traditionals back for 23. Yes, that is true...but I want them back to make up chances that I didn't get to make, and visit the dynamic characters once more. Characters...now that's the main reason. If they wait a long time to use them again, then there is less potential to have the same actors return again in their roles, and it was the roles and unique characters that made Traditionals so special and great. This is a legion driven by the actors, and if too long goes by- it might not be the same without them. Now, I didn't mean to turn this into a pro-Traditonals for 23 speech, just trying to avoid people calling me out on my "I don't want them to be overused" comment. So, I don't want them every year - that would be overkill, I just left 22 feeling incomplete with them - not a proper ending. So with that and other reasons, I'd like them back for 23, but after I do think they should be stored away for a while.

Edited by TsunamiFox

There was also more to the Traditionals than just the trick or treaters, or trick or treaters with animal masks, specifically. There are a lot of things you can do with a group aligned to Halloween's history and iconography. I really want the Traditionals back, but with different characters and motifs.

Yes the Traditionals were actor based but your not guaranteed to have the same cast back.. Let alone they might have something NEW up there sleeve that might 'Wow' us.

Well see I used the word "potential." If they don't wait as long, the more likely the same actors will return, giving them more potential to regain their respected roles. I'm pretty sure they won't return the exact same, like you said, something "NEW" and different, which is sad (to me), but it is what it is and that's alright. I know them returning the exact same is slim to none, which is why I said I didn't want to turn my last thing into a "Pro-Traditionals for HHN 23" kind of thing, 'cause I know that's not very likely. I have heard things along the lines that if they do return, they will be much different...which might be what you were alluding to at the end of your post.

Haha, well I know there is a lot to do with Traditional based Halloween, and I'd love to see them do something new (along with the Skool Children esq Traditionals). I know that's asking for a lot, BUT this is a person who wants a year to be based ALL around Traditional Halloween (not sure if that would ever happen, but it's just a frivolous want I have), and plus this is just wishful thinking. But yes, I'm obsessed with those sentiments and that great nostalgia. I mean I am a Morphan for many reasons, haha.

Edited by TsunamiFox

Well see I used the word "potential." If they don't wait as long, the more likely the same actors will return, giving them more potential to regain their respected roles. I'm pretty sure they won't return the exact same, like you said, something "NEW" and different, which is sad (to me), but it is what it is and that's alright. I know them returning the exact same is slim to none, which is why I said I didn't want to turn my last thing into a "Pro-Traditionals for HHN 23" kind of thing, 'cause I know that's not very likely. I have heard things along the lines that if they do return, they will be much different...which might be what you were alluding to at the end of your post.

FYI - Roles for HHN are cast in a less personal manner than what would really allow many returning scareactors to receive the same roles. Ninety percent of what the casting directors look at is measurements.

Looking this year at what native horror movie Universal has... Aside from Mama. I don't see anything too promising.

This is the list of "horror" titles. I use the term horror loosely as most of there aren't that horrific.

Perhaps Mike is over in Hollywood to discuss a completely different, non-Universal, I.P.?... or well... Mama.

Oh and I am ignoring the direct to video Chucky movie.. when will that franchise die!?!

It's not Universal but we also have Paranormal Activity 5 set for a Halloween release too. It's a big franchise but not sure how effective it would be as a house seeing as you hardly ever see the demon/entity.

Mama was an ok movie and it would be incredibly easy to make as a house.

Only thing i'd be curious on them doing is a good finale, cuz the movie ended..kinda weird. I think Jeramy's finale would do great, but i have a hard time picturing anything else, since the ending was pretty dumb i think.

i wouldn't mind a Mama house if our A&D actually wanted to make it and planned it from the beginning, unlike SH and (i think) TWD. And if Aiello went to Hollywood to talk to Murdy about a Mama house, it would seem like they actually want to do it.

FYI - Roles for HHN are cast in a less personal manner than what would really allow many returning scareactors to receive the same roles. Ninety percent of what the casting directors look at is measurements.

Well this was all just part of a perfect dream I knew I wouldn't receive, which is alright...I mean this is wishful thinking. I may have been misguided on the scareactors being able to receive the same role portion, but it's harder to know this stuff when you're not a scareactor or don't look so into it, which I didn't feel was necessary here because again, this was all just a want/a wishful thought and nothing more. So my mistake on that behalf. Also, the adjective I had used in my previous post does kind of sum things up about all of this - "frivolous."

Edited by TsunamiFox

Well this was all just part of a perfect dream I knew I wouldn't receive, which is alright...I mean this is wishful thinking. I may have been misguided on the scareactors being able to receive the same role portion, but it's harder to know this stuff when you're not a scareactor or don't look so into it, which I didn't feel was necessary here because again, this was all just a want/a wishful thought and nothing more. So my mistake on that behalf. Also, the adjective I had used in my previous post does kind of sum things up about all of this - "frivolous."

Oh, personally I wish the casting process DID allow for continuity in roles. I think it would encourage better performances towards the beginning of the event. I wasn't trying to dismiss your desire for that. I just saw an opportunity to frame the reality of how things work for you (and others) so you had a greater understanding of the process.
  • Like 1

Oh, personally I wish the casting process DID allow for continuity in roles. I think it would encourage better performances towards the beginning of the event. I wasn't trying to dismiss your desire for that. I just saw an opportunity to frame the reality of how things work for you (and others) so you had a greater understanding of the process.

Yeah that would be really cool if they did that, they would really be able to develop the different characters which would be awesome. And I completely agree, I think it would for sure encourage better performances.

And it's good to frame reality into wishful thinking (as some others have done before). It's so exciting that sometimes one can get a bit carried away and lost in wishes.

Also, there's so much small stuff that goes into the event, so it's always nice to learn stuff like that.

You want to see how a MAJOR Haunt does casting.. Look below, its not based on looks like HHN

Knott's Scary Farm

*EDIT*

So on the Universal Orlando Resort website it says 'Let Loose Like You Mean It" for their Mardi Gras celebration... Why do I have the feeling for Universal's Halloween Horror Nights - Orlando (OFFICIAL) 23 it will say "Get Scared Like You Mean It"

Edited by DesigningtheFear
  • Like 1

You want to see how a MAJOR Haunt does casting.. Look below, its not based on looks like HHN

So on the Universal Orlando Resort website it says 'Let Loose Like You Mean It" for their Mardi Gras celebration... Why do I have the feeling for Universal's Halloween Horror Nights - Orlando (OFFICIAL) 23 it will say "Get Scared Like You Mean It"

I don't think that would work for HHN. You would have to scare me like you mean it, before I even get scared! I'm not going into the event trying to be scared, that's the job of the scareactors.

• Like 1

I don't think that would work for HHN. You would have to scare me like you mean it, before I even get scared! I'm not going into the event trying to be scared, that's the job of the scareactors.

This unfortunately made me think of "Live Like You're Dying", which led to a whole Saw type premise for the event. Icon puts you in terrifying, horrific, and deadly situations so you appreciate life and if you survive, you totally become a part of the YOLO brigade.

Can't think of a catch phrase to go with the "like you mean it", but yep, I could see marketing trying to throw that kind of monkey wrench into the works.

Not really wishful thinking, more of a horrified thinking. And not in a good way.

Please, please. pleeeaaase, Marketing, do not try to incorporate the "like you mean it" into HHN.

• Like 5

Over analyzing of course... 23 is a mysterious number.

Is shows up in religion, human anatomy, mathematics, history, and even pop culture often.

The physical biorhythm cycle is 23 days.

It takes 23 seconds for blood to circulate through the human body.

The male and female each contribute 23 chromosomes during conception.

A full turn of the DNA helix occurs every 23 angstroms.

The number of joints in the human arm is 23.

There are 23 vertebrae in the human body.

Tantrists believe the male sex cycle is 23 days.

I guess that is why they made a movie about it. :P

I'm not much into numerology but it is interesting.

• Like 3

Over analyzing of course... 23 is a mysterious number.

Is shows up in religion, human anatomy, mathematics, history, and even pop culture often.

The physical biorhythm cycle is 23 days.

It takes 23 seconds for blood to circulate through the human body.

The male and female each contribute 23 chromosomes during conception.

A full turn of the DNA helix occurs every 23 angstroms.

The number of joints in the human arm is 23.

There are 23 vertebrae in the human body.

Tantrists believe the male sex cycle is 23 days.

I guess that is why they made a movie about it. :P

I'm not much into numerology but it is interesting.

You forgot one!

23 has always been my lucky number!!! It has shown up quite a bit in my life. From randomly being given 23 as my swim team number, my friends choosing 23 for my pager code because it was the day I received it (yes, I'm old and had a beeper in highschool), to my now husband proposing to me on November 23rd. There are more times as well. It has shown up in my life for years.

So, my wishful thinking for this year:

Best HHN ever for me!!!

For those interested in more about the number 23 and its symbolism, here is a link:

http://www.ridingthebeast.com/numbers/nu23.php

It states basically everything JW said, but a tiny bit more, and it also goes more in-depth on the religious overtones. But this begs the question, will they try to employ the number itself into this year's event, maybe or maybe not. I'm very interested to find out what they will do. Also note, it is 2013. I wonder if that could also make it's way into this year as well. Only time will tell....and maybe good speculation and rumors later in the year...hopefully. :)

IDK I was just looking for connections based on the year... No matter how tenuous. After all its wild spec. But I wasn't implying 23 would be a main focus I was just doing some research into the number to see if there was any significance I could glean to a theme (i.e. 13, XX, 21, etc.).

Same goes for looking into movies and what not. which is all pulling a big fat goose egg.

Except, i had mentioned the whole Christmas zombies thing. Kind of a as a joke kind of serious. (after all i DO think it would make a decent comedy house).

Lo and behold.. there IS a movie coming out this year at Christmas.

2e3tnb6.jpg

Apparently it was a play and Tom Savini will be playing as a main role.

All I found on the movie was this concise description.

A zombie outbreak plagues a small English town on Christmas Eve.

Its funny to even think of Tom Savini as English though... or an actor really. (Sorry I love his makeup effects... but his acting... not so much).

This could come and go in complete obscurity.

Knott's Scary Farm

*EDIT*

Thanks for posting this.. it was entertaining and interesting for sure. But, of course, after watching the whole thing, my first thought was "How the hell does one get a job like 'Haunt Supervisor'???""

Man, I would love to have a gig like that - some behind the scenes stuff where you think about Halloween and scaring people shitless all day long.