Halloween Horror Nights 23 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

Ok here is a quick treatment. Warning spoilers!

Mama house:

Entrance:

You enter a snow covered woods. A car is crashed on the side of a hill. Foot steps in the snow along with blood drops lead to the house facade. On the radio in the car is a news report about a man killing his wife and kidnapping his kids.

Scene 1:

House entrance. Abandoned 60's/70's style living room. The sound of rats and a crackling fire. Debris on the floor. A mannequin of a small child on the couch and another standing, facing away towards a window covered in frost.
A man points a gun at the back of the standing mannequin at the window crying. A scareactor jumps out and either attacks the man or can go directly for the guest. Guests proceed into the kitchen.

Scene 2:

Kitchen. Again in disrepair. Cherry pits lie in a huge pile on the floor. 2 muddy wild children in this room. Multiple attacks either from up high over the fridge, the corners as a detraction, or even from an open oven.

Scene 3:
Psychiatric ward. Children again this time in night gowns. Children's pictures on the walls. Scareactors come from under the beds, corners, etc.

Scene 4:

Top of stairs. Mirror gag with first floor projected. On the floor at the base of the stairs is an unconscious man. Moldy, black, oozing hole on the wall. Moths on the walls. Scareactor mama attacks from either the hole or an indirect on landing.

Scene 5:

Adjoining hallway. Child scareactor runs on all fours down the hallway back-lit.

Scene 6:

Children's room. Children jumping up and down on the beds. The room in disarray, Children's drawings all over the wallpaper. The closet is ajar. The hanging light in the room is swaying and flickering. Mama attacks from closet or indirect boo hole.

Scene 7:

Hospital room. Man lying in hospital bed. The bed is vibrating violently and the lights are flickering quickly. Moths all around the lights. Through the wall is scene of an overpass. In the shadow of the overpass Is a man twitching sporadically. Man under overpass can come out and scare or man lying on bed can jump scare.

Scene 8:

Bedroom. Child scareactor stands to the side staring at a woman lying on the bed (does not need to be real). Mama scareactor can come at the woman from behind bed and from under the bed at guests. Little girl can scream at guests.

Scene 9:

Abandoned house in the woods - living room. Man taking flash pictures (slow strobe) Mama scareactor in room. Optional decimated women mannequin standing as a distraction.

Scene 10:

Cliff scene mama hovering above drop beckoning. Apparition disappears, lights dim and mama appears next to guests.

• Like 3

Speaking of SS houses... has anyone read Salems Lot? There are a TON of scenes from that book that would translate into an HHN maze. Even aside from stuff that was in the movie, the book offers a bunch also. One scene I remember that involved a guy looking for his wife adn daughter after their car broke down in the winter... reading it was creepy as hell. I can imagine how spooky it would be in a house scene (this part was in the end of the book that I think was cut from the actual novel). Ill see if I can find. But what Im saying is that a Salems Lot house as a stand alone would be awesome too!

I think that scene you're referring to was actually used as a short story in King's short story collection, "Night Shift."

• Like 1

I don't know why this hasn't been said yet, seeing as you all seem to want new shows and want to see the half-naked dancers...

A creepy stripper sort of show? I don't really know how better to word it, but like they could have the vampire strippers, or clowns, etc.

It would probably be a lot better than a magic show, help with the crowds, and would satiate the call for the dancers.

I don't know why this hasn't been said yet, seeing as you all seem to want new shows and want to see the half-naked dancers...

A creepy stripper sort of show? I don't really know how better to word it, but like they could have the vampire strippers, or clowns, etc.

It would probably be a lot better than a magic show, help with the crowds, and would satiate the call for the dancers.

Traveller said they should have a burlesque show which is pretty much what you are saying. Would UNI actually have this? Who knows. I keep saying they need to bring back the Arrival show like Dr. D said! but it creates so much congestion in front of Mells, But if they moved it to the Rockit stage and had the queue run past Rockits queue and go behind the stage it could work. But sadly that probably won't happen :(

Ok here is a quick treatment. Warning spoilers!

Mama house:

Entrance:

You enter a snow covered woods. A car is crashed on the side of a hill. Foot steps in the snow along with blood drops lead to the house facade. On the radio in the car is a news report about a man killing his wife and kidnapping his kids.

Scene 1:

House entrance. Abandoned 60's/70's style living room. The sound of rats and a crackling fire. Debris on the floor. A mannequin of a small child on the couch and another standing, facing away towards a window covered in frost.

A man points a gun at the back of the standing mannequin at the window crying. A scareactor jumps out and either attacks the man or can go directly for the guest. Guests proceed into the kitchen.

Scene 2:

Kitchen. Again in disrepair. Cherry pits lie in a huge pile on the floor. 2 muddy wild children in this room. Multiple attacks either from up high over the fridge, the corners as a detraction, or even from an open oven.

Scene 3:

Psychiatric ward. Children again this time in night gowns. Children's pictures on the walls. Scareactors come from under the beds, corners, etc.

Scene 4:

Top of stairs. Mirror gag with first floor projected. On the floor at the base of the stairs is an unconscious man. Moldy, black, oozing hole on the wall. Moths on the walls. Scareactor mama attacks from either the hole or an indirect on landing.

Scene 5:

Adjoining hallway. Child scareactor runs on all fours down the hallway back-lit.

Scene 6:

Children's room. Children jumping up and down on the beds. The room in disarray, Children's drawings all over the wallpaper. The closet is ajar. The hanging light in the room is swaying and flickering. Mama attacks from closet or indirect boo hole.

Scene 7:

Hospital room. Man lying in hospital bed. The bed is vibrating violently and the lights are flickering quickly. Moths all around the lights. Through the wall is scene of an overpass. In the shadow of the overpass Is a man twitching sporadically. Man under overpass can come out and scare or man lying on bed can jump scare.

Scene 8:

Bedroom. Child scareactor stands to the side staring at a woman lying on the bed (does not need to be real). Mama scareactor can come at the woman from behind bed and from under the bed at guests. Little girl can scream at guests.

Scene 9:

Abandoned house in the woods - living room. Man taking flash pictures (slow strobe) Mama scareactor in room. Optional decimated women mannequin standing as a distraction.

Scene 10:

Cliff scene mama hovering above drop beckoning. Apparition disappears, lights dim and mama appears next to guests.

I agree. Sounds pretty cool. Maybe even a HOTY award... :D

A dark and macabre burlesque show, That would be so perfect for HHN, As had been stated.

Are you listening Universal? We have money.......

As I mentioned previously, I think last page, I don't think this is possible.

Burlesque tends to run into R territory. Tone it down to an acceptable PG 13, and you rob it of its original glory.

HHN has become far too commercial for us to get a true burlesque show. We can't even get the Hollywood style go-go dancers.

I would love it. But considering the uproar created by B&T last year, I'm just not seeing anything risqué making it into this year's event.

Just the use of a pentacle or pentagram symbol in a show would probably cause a hissy fit from some people. Scantily clad females writhing on stage in sensual positions would probably cause heads to explode. Nevermind the innuendo that goes along with burlesque.

I mean just think about the complaints about the billboards.....

EDIT: Not trying to kill anyone's wishful thinking, just trying to throw an element of realism into things.

Nothing's worse than wishing for something, then hearing we are getting that something and that something doesn't live up to what was envisioned.

Edited by mystiquephreeq

Well, typically I avoid going when I expect lines to be like that. Or I get Express Pass.

But in the event that I'm there without Express and lines are like that, I wait in line, try not to bitch, and then go home at the end of the night getting through what I can.

Really don't see why that sort of thing isn't an option.

But, again, why are magic shows now being defended? do people really love them?

(Actually Legacy it is okay if you really love the shows, I don't meant to judge)

I just think that they could give us one year off magic shows at least, at least one year of something new. I seriously really doubt that people would even miss them, Specially if they replaced the magic show with a new music show.

The thing is, People even complain about IP houses, I used to defend them, But people wouldn't even be okay with IPs,

but like I Said, Universal doesn't repeat houses or BIll and Ted show, we get a brand new Bill and Ted show every year, yet how many years has Brian Brushwood work the event? It is not even that evil of me for wanting something new instead of a magic show. I'm just saying, why can't they make something new? why is it a sin for Universal to repeat a house (Hollywood repeats their houses all the time) but is totally fine with the magic stuff?

Edited by Mr. Black

But, again, why are magic shows now being defended? do people really love them?

(Actually Legacy it is okay if you really love the shows, I don't meant to judge)

I just think that they could give us one year off magic shows at least, at least one year of something new. I seriously really doubt that people would even miss them, Specially if they replaced the magic show with a new music show.

I'm not defending anything. I have never seen a magic show at HHN because I know it's not something I would enjoy. The only show I'll make a point to see is Bill and Ted. And if it sucks, I won't see it again. I go for houses, and that's about it.

I've said if you don't want to see something, don't go see it. Nothing forces you to participate in any aspect of the evening.

• Like 3

I'm not defending anything. I have never seen a magic show at HHN because I know it's not something I would enjoy. The only show I'll make a point to see is Bill and Ted. And if it sucks, I won't see it again. I go for houses, and that's about it.

I've said if you don't want to see something, don't go see it. Nothing forces you to participate in any aspect of the evening.

I understand you,

but it is not like I am going to go picketing and boycott the magic show at Universal lol :lol: it is just annoying.

But, since you don't like the magic show, Wouldn't you want to see something new? wouldn't you like to have a brand new Horror based show?

out of two shows you only see one, wouldn't you like to see 2 really awesome shows? Bill and Ted and then something else?

I guess what I mean is that stage could be used for something better. It is true they are not literally forcing me to watch the show but they are not doing a good job show wise at HHN either.

I am wishing that they changed this.

Edited by Mr. Black

I do not care for the magic shows, never seen one, but thats me. I did enjoy the RHP tribute though.

I think Universal is sorta at a crossroad, It seems that having a event like HHN and targeting such a

wide age group (13-50+) is a stale mate. On one hand you try not to offend/flip out the sensitive ones and on the other hand

you are trying to scare the sh*t out of die hard horror fans.

I would think the way to go is more scary/gory/in your face type of event and let it be known loud and clear

HHN is not for the timid!!!

SCARE US LIKE YOU MEAN IT!

• Like 1

Well Circo de los horrores had:

A exorcist contortionist... doable.

A mummy ribbon flyer... doable.

Pantomime clowns... doable.

Scareactors with chainsaws and makeup... no brainer.

Dance numbers in horror makeup...

Fire eating and other fire acts... Bushwood did it.

Comedy and magic... of course.

Burlesque dance/comedy skit... well B&T is close to that minus the costumes.

Tightrope... Ok that one may or may not be doable without the talent.

Knife Throwing... ehh harder still.

Creepy stuff...

It's more of a horror variety show... that way you have an act that fits everybody.

I personally wouldn't go to see a straight up strip tease or burlesque show. But balance it out with other acts I would.
Obviously you don't have the 2 hours they have. But c'mon you can do a great deal of what the show had to offer.

I'm not even saying rip the show off. I'm not trying to box A&D into a corner with creativity (even though the show pretty much uses Universal characters).

I'm saying B&T, dance numbers, and random pop culture don't hold my interests.

I need to see a little talent, a little horror, and a little comedy. You can throw magic, dance numbers, and risque costumes in there if you want.

Edit:

OK Imma give you an example.

Everyone loves Blood N' Gutz as a character (maybe not his house... although I did)

So you have Blood N' Gutz presents: Universal's horror variety hour. Kind of paying homage to the cheesy variety shows of the past.

Have him be the host of the show. You could have him bring the characters to life from film. Each year could be different as talents present themselves. As long as the idea is clever who cares? You could even bring past ICONS back to do dance numbers, comedy, magic... whatever. A mix of high brow and low brow... not just bludgeoning me with the absurd.

The difference being the satire is more implied and the show is more out to entertain rather than beat you over the head with current pop culture. Have dance numbers, have magic, Music, special effects, or whatever. Just make it more creepy. Keep the humor but make it darker and more interesting to those of us who couldn't give a rip about honey Boo Boo or whatever schlock Hollywood is producing this year.

• Like 8

Gotta remember they get the same budget every year for the most part.. Magic shows might be cheap for them to do.. All your paying for is the talent , techs, lightning, and audio.

okay that is true. I guess magic shows could the cheaper shows they can get, so I guess we might be stuck with them,

But that's why I brought up The Devil's Carnival as wishful thinking for HHN. This does make me wonder how much would it cost to have this at HHN. Probably will never happen but maybe it wouldn't be that much price wise? Plus those guys could use the publicity for their movie.

Even if they got magic shows I wish they at least tried to find really innovative acts or crazy acts, 20 Penny had great guys but the magic itself was pretty tame, half the act was a head scratcher for me (Naked metalist? Staple gun?) those acts were a little bit lame. I don't want to sound mean because I really like them. But the show was pretty tame.

If Uni won't create a new show I wish they at least tried to bring something crazy and incredible to the event, I understand about magic shows being cheap, and I wouldn't even mind more magic shows for the next 5 years but they could at least find something new and weird. There has to be a better show out there. Kinda wish they mixed it up a little.

Edited by Mr. Black

Thanks and I put it together in 10 min.

The universal professionals probably do a lot better than me ;)

I don't know JW.. that was a pretty amazing take on what the house could be. We saw the movie over the weekend - and all of us (four) discussed on the way home whether we thought Uni could make a house from that movie. We thought no.. however, after reading your ideas.. well, I think it could work. I'm duly impressed.

• Like 2

I don't know JW.. that was a pretty amazing take on what the house could be. We saw the movie over the weekend - and all of us (four) discussed on the way home whether we thought Uni could make a house from that movie. We thought no.. however, after reading your ideas.. well, I think it could work. I'm duly impressed.

Aww well thanks. It's not without its problems. I mean I think I'm missing a few scenes. I just think it could easily make a better house than it did a movie. Just depends on how it is executed. ;)

Well Circo de los horrores had:

A exorcist contortionist... doable.

A mummy ribbon flyer... doable.

Pantomime clowns... doable.

Scareactors with chainsaws and makeup... no brainer.

Dance numbers in horror makeup...

Fire eating and other fire acts... Bushwood did it.

Comedy and magic... of course.

Burlesque dance/comedy skit... well B&T is close to that minus the costumes.

Tightrope... Ok that one may or may not be doable without the talent.

Knife Throwing... ehh harder still.

Creepy stuff...

It's more of a horror variety show... that way you have an act that fits everybody.

I personally wouldn't go to see a straight up strip tease or burlesque show. But balance it out with other acts I would.

Obviously you don't have the 2 hours they have. But c'mon you can do a great deal of what the show had to offer.

I'm not even saying rip the show off. I'm not trying to box A&D into a corner with creativity (even though the show pretty much uses Universal characters).

I'm saying B&T, dance numbers, and random pop culture don't hold my interests.

I need to see a little talent, a little horror, and a little comedy. You can throw magic, dance numbers, and risque costumes in there if you want.

Edit:

OK Imma give you an example.

Everyone loves Blood N' Gutz as a character (maybe not his house... although I did)

So you have Blood N' Gutz presents: Universal's horror variety hour. Kind of paying homage to the cheesy variety shows of the past.

Have him be the host of the show. You could have him bring the characters to life from film. Each year could be different as talents present themselves. As long as the idea is clever who cares? You could even bring past ICONS back to do dance numbers, comedy, magic... whatever. A mix of high brow and low brow... not just bludgeoning me with the absurd.

The difference being the satire is more implied and the show is more out to entertain rather than beat you over the head with current pop culture. Have dance numbers, have magic, Music, special effects, or whatever. Just make it more creepy. Keep the humor but make it darker and more interesting to those of us who couldn't give a rip about honey Boo Boo or whatever schlock Hollywood is producing this year.

sounds like my dream come true pretty much. I know how a lot of us wanted Blood N Gutz to be the icon but a show with him would be even more amazing, because you would get to see him daily, I never thought about it before but that makes so much sense, I know it is just an example you gave and maybe it couldn't work, but I would totally love that. Just imagining it makes me wish it was real.

I know how important Bill and Ted is for the event and for the fans,

And i know they probably get limited budget for the shows in the park, They only want to give us 2 shows so I don't see any other way than to cut the magic showsfrom HHN. Just like Rocky Horror had its time and it is gone for eternity, Magic shows need a rest too. At least for a while.

I know this is a wild thought, but imagine the terrifying art of the "Scary stories to tell in the dark" to become a house. I would DIE in there. Look up the art, and try to get the books. I think that the art would translate into an... interesting house. Some of the stories you MUST check out are:

• The dream
  • No thanks
  • Wonderful sausage
  • Cold as clay
Edited by coleman2122
  • Like 1

I know this is a wild thought, but imagine the terrifying art of the "Scary stories to tell in the dark" to become a house. I would DIE in there. Look up the art, and try to get the books. I think that the art would translate into an... interesting house. Some of the stories you MUST check out are:

• The dream
  • No thanks
  • Wonderful sausage
  • Cold as clay

That is not a bad idea at all! I grew up with those, and so it would be really cool to see how they would translate to a house. I feel like it would be difficult to do them justice, but just pondering what could and what would be done with them is some very good food for thought.

I could see it as a variety house so to speak...now I am a person who loves the flow of an HHN house (like we all do), but if this was ever to become a house, I think for the benefit of the house itself, it would need to drop the flow and kind of be a smorgasbord of all the great moments from the stories. For example, some of my favorite moments (which don't have any relation) would be:

1.) The story where the lady attends the morning church service (not the usual one she attends), and it's full of all the dead people (but she doesn't know they're all dead). Eventually she starts seeing old friends that were recently deceased and things like that, and then then she starts freaking out and the corpses begin to realize this. Imagine a large room/church setting where the pews are filled with decaying corpses (scareactors). That would be pretty amazing. And don't bullshit us, I'd like the majority to be scareactors, not like Silent Hill where there was only one live nurse and the rest were mannequins.

2.) The cornfield and other moments from Harold (demented scarecrow).

Those are the two moments I can remember off the top of my head, but there are so many that would really fit well into a house. It would be similar to Scary Tales in a way.

Now, for those not familiar with Scary Stories To Tell In the Dark, here is what the art looks like:

Stephen-Gammell-Scary-Stories-To-Tell-In

The_white_wolf.jpg

TheBride.jpg

sc44bs.jpg

scary-stories.jpg

And here's someones' own art based off one of the stories, "Sewer Rat" I believe.

sam__s_new_pet_by_kezeff-d3iv25b.jpg

They could do some cool stuff with these stories. I just wonder if they'd be able to pull it off...

Here's another idea: IF we wanted a house with a flow, they could create and overall atmosphere based off Scary Stories and then use scareactors as a variety of characters from the books, so it would be more of a tribute. Just a thought.

Oh, and I'm including this video because I can.

"Oh no, not potato face."

Edited by TsunamiFox
  • Like 1

That is not a bad idea at all! I grew up with those, and so it would be really cool to see how they would translate to a house. I feel like it would be difficult to do them justice, but just pondering what could and what would be done with them is some very good food for thought.

I could see it as a variety house so to speak...now I am a person who loves the flow of an HHN house (like we all do), but if this was ever to become a house, I think for the benefit of the house itself, it would need to drop the flow and kind of be a smorgasbord of all the great moments from the stories. For example, some of my favorite moments (which don't have any relation) would be:

1.) The story where the lady attends the morning church service (not the usual one she attends), and it's full of all the dead people (but she doesn't know they're all dead). Eventually she starts seeing old friends that were recently deceased and things like that, and then then she starts freaking out and the corpses begin to realize this. Imagine a large room/church setting where the pews are filled with decaying corpses (scareactors). That would be pretty amazing. And don't bullshit us, I'd like the majority to be scareactors, not like Silent Hill where there was only one live nurse and the rest were mannequins.

2.) The cornfield and other moments from Harold (demented scarecrow).

Those are the two moments I can remember off the top of my head, but there are so many that would really fit well into a house. It would be similar to Scary Tales in a way.

Now, for those not familiar with Scary Stories To Tell In the Dark, here is what the art looks like:

The_white_wolf.jpg

TheBride.jpg

sc44bs.jpg

scary-stories.jpg

And here's someones' own art based off one of the stories, "Sewer Rat" I believe.

sam__s_new_pet_by_kezeff-d3iv25b.jpg

They could do some cool stuff with these stories. I just wonder if they'd be able to pull it off...

Here's another idea: IF we wanted a house with a flow, they could create and overall atmosphere based off Scary Stories and then use scareactors as a variety of characters from the books, so it would be more of a tribute. Just a thought.

Oh, and I'm including this video because I can.

"Oh no, not potato face."

I would love it if they did this as long as they use the imagery from the earlier editions and not the toned down imagery they changed too last year or the year before.

• Like 1

Looking this year at what native horror movie Universal has... Aside from Mama. I don't see anything too promising.

This is the list of "horror" titles. I use the term horror loosely as most of there aren't that horrific.

Perhaps Mike is over in Hollywood to discuss a completely different, non-Universal, I.P.?... or well... Mama.

R.I.P.D. (July 19)

A recently slain cop joins a team of undead police officers working for the Rest in Peace Department and tries to find the man who murdered him.

Oh and I am ignoring the direct to video Chucky movie.. when will that franchise die!?!

Trying to look forward I know the Highly acclaimed sundance film "You're Next" is being officially released around hhn time

(Think strangers with traditional masks)

25q64av.jpg

I Frankenstein:

Like Underworld meets Frankenstein... sort of

There is also World War Z. With Brad Pittt... it will be a big movie. Its Paramount Pictures though.

Of Course Evil Dead.

the ABCs of death... Why could I see that as a funny house. The trailers weird though.

And that's really the only interesting ones coming before or around HHN (I left out HC2:Georgia and LEII)

I think that scene you're referring to was actually used as a short story in King's short story collection, "Night Shift."

Ok not that it matter but the scene Im talking about is from the chapter called "One for the road" at the end of Salems Lot.

Sorry, it was driving me nuts!

• Like 1