Halloween Horror Nights 23 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

Pre-speculation for Halloween Horror Nights 23 (2013).
What do you want to happen at HHN 23? What do you think might happen? What are some of the early rumors? Talk about all that here!
Will The Walking Dead return?
Will construction affect the park again?
Whoa.. look at those Autobots!
Should we have another Lagoon type show?
Really? More Simpsons?
Not another Magic show?
Hollywood needs to share the female dancers!
Return of the scare zone sets? .. maybe not!
Did someone throw away the blue lights? I was looking for the Kmart specials!
Return of Sound Stage 23 for 23?
More Sound Stage houses?
Go!
  • Like 1

Two things on my personal wishllist are

1. To be a central character for another house/street. This was really fun in '08, '11, and '12.

2. If Alice Cooper returns, or another artist like Marilyn Manson is used ala "7", I'd love to be in that house/street. There's something great about being able to jam out while scaring. Its a natural energy to play off of.

• Like 3

Will The Walking Dead return?
I really, really hope so. I loved the beginning of the house last year. While the house as a whole was sort of lackluster, the facade and hospital were incredibly well done. Watching season three, I can't help but imagine how awesome a house set in the prison could be. Also, it's pretty obvious that having The Walking Dead involved in the event brought in the masses and I don't see anything wrong with Universal milking that cash cow again.. as long as the house is new.
Will construction affect the park again?
No. Transformers will be open and so will the new Springfield. Amity is kind of just... there. The only issue I can see is the possible heavy traffic in Springfield with the new flat ride taking away the path by the water. No more walking around the crowds.
Should we have another Lagoon type show?
Yes. I got to catch the Hitchcock show and I enjoyed it. They have the technology already there, might as well use it. Would it kill them to list show times on the map though?
Really? More Simpsons?
Yes! Bring on the expansion! Simpsons, Transformers, Potter 2.0.. I'm all for it.
Not another Magic show?
I didn't watch the full 20 Penny, but I did catch a glimpse waiting in the Express line for TWD and it wasn't my cup of tea. It kind of got mixed reviews but I would say it was more 60/40 enjoyed it, so I would welcome it back. They NEED another show to go alongside Bill and Ted to keep the crowds more spread out, so SOMETHING needs to be in AA or Beetlejuice.
Hollywood needs to share the female dancers!
Yes, yes, yes, and yes.
8099511659_80a9eb9d02.jpg
I rest my case.
Return of the scare zone sets? .. maybe not!
Please yes. I did enjoy the hordes, but the streets felt like they were missing something.. and that something was sets. I'd like to see them keep the expanded boundaries for scareactors, but with adding in the usual sets. Basically just stretch the old scarezones out. There's no reason they can't have a large set scarezone like Acid Assault and have roaming hordes as well.
Return of Sound Stage 23 for 23?
I'm all for as many sound stages as possible. It's no secret that these houses get the more elaborate sets and that they tend to be the better houses. They have less restrictions in a soundstage.
More Sound Stage houses?

See above answer. I wouldn't mind "Halloween Horror Nights 23: Soundstages, Soundstages, Soundstages!"

Wait, what?? What about the blue lights?? I LOVE THE BLUE LIGHTS.. tell me you're just messing around.

I think Walking Dead should return.. why not? I do NOT want any more Alice Cooper though.. for the love of god and everything holy, reitre that sucker already.

I agree.. for the love of baby Jesus do not bring back Alice Cooper. One run through that house was plenty for me.

Oh God.... I pray to the HHN gods that Walking Dead and alice Cooper never EVER come back to Orlando again... I guess I am fine with IP houses if they are at least new, but no repeats... I seriously hope they don't ever come back.

What do you want to happen at HHN 23? What do you think might happen? What are some of the early rumors? Talk about all that here!
Hopefully construction will not affect the event like this year, And hopefully Transformers will be open for HHN.
I loved the Lagoon shows I really really loved the Chucky one and I hope they bring more. I really hope and wish it becomes a yearly HHN tradition.
I also hope that we will not get another magic show I hope we get a Dead Drums type of show on a stage but knowing how much Universal loves magic we will most likely get a magic show. I will never understand why Universal has such a hard on for magic.
The thing that makes me the most upset about the go go dancers at Hollywood is that they are willing to dump their Intellectual properties on us this year instead of original houses but they won't have Go go dancers in here... that really sucks. I really hate that about Florida too... Uni should just have some girls dancing and see what happens. Maybe people will not complain as much as we think about it.
My biggest dream right now is for a Marilyn Manson or Rob Zombie house. Might not really happen but Rob Zombie has already worked with HHN and all they would need is just his name and his music. They could even reuse the masks and props from this year's House Of Horrors and just add a Rob zombie soundtrack to the same house and I would be completely fine with that. :lol::lol:
  • Like 1

Here's what I wish would happen at HHN23:

.The return of roaming street experiences while also having set scarezones

.No magic shows

.A new Icon designed from the creative minds of A&D with an in-depth storyline that is themed with the event

.A well designed website that is very interactive and dynamic

.The use of IOA or both parks

.The use of Midnight Syndicate's music

...That's all I have for now.

Let's see, given all the love I'm seeing for the Alice Cooper property thus far - let's have an all new Alice Cooper house, Alice Cooper chainsaw drill team, Alice Cooper go-go dancers, and Alice Cooper for HHN 23 icon! With an all Alice tribute to Rocky Horror in Beetlejuice ;):P

After all my silly foolishness here - yes, I would like to see Orlando creative take a shot at Alice Cooper Goes to Hell. Not in 3D, though, oh please. While I'd love to see it for 23, I do understand those who want it, but who believe it might be well to give a year or two gap.

I also agree with everything Reaper recommended - although I would prefer a two park set up to just IOA. Also, a return to 8 houses minimum, and finally bringing in that 9th extreme (upcharge, I suppose we must accept) house.

And I'd like to see a significant increase in psychological intensity and possibly the gore factor as well. I have absolutely no suggestions for how to accomplish that, but I'd like to see them take the sick up a notch at least.

Wow - that really was in the Christmas spirit, eh?

• Like 2

Let's see, given all the love I'm seeing for the Alice Cooper property thus far - let's have an all new Alice Cooper house, Alice Cooper chainsaw drill team, Alice Cooper go-go dancers, and Alice Cooper for HHN 23 icon! With an all Alice tribute to Rocky Horror in Beetlejuice ;):P

^you beat me to a post like that...

^This... yes. Or a completely originally AC house that is exclusive to Orlando's event. Basically... "Alice Cooper's __________" and then a multitude of songs that aren't specifically from one album that create their own story. or something.. I dont know, i'd just like to see a better executed AC house....

WHICH INCLUDES BETTER SPEAKER PLACEMENT SO GUESTS CAN HEAR THE MUSIC.

I dont know, i'd just like to see a better executed AC house....

WHICH INCLUDES BETTER SPEAKER PLACEMENT SO GUESTS CAN HEAR THE MUSIC.

This. I always said AC had major potential to be amazing ever since the house was rumored for us. But it was executed horribly. Half the scenes were throw aways or unnecessary, SA placement was terrible, and (like Chris said) speaker placement sucked. the music was REALLY faint in the background for most scenes. only scene i could distinctly hear the music was "No More Mr. Nice Guy" hallway. I didn't notice "School's Out" playing in the Jock room til my third run. While i really didn't like the house at all, i think if A&D was given the opportunity, they could do a MUCH better job.

Now about TWD, please NO. We do NOT need TWD back. A) crowds were ridiculous B) A&D could make a much better zombie-themed prison house in a SS on their own i'm sure. Especially with no copyright restrictions and such. They could make their own environments and characters (and actually make it good ;) ). we know they can do a prison house and make it amazing. Hellgate (though i didn't get to experience it myself) is highly regarded. They could basically do that and make the characters zombies.

House count NEEDS to go back to 8 or even more. 7 houses doesn't cut it anymore. Especially with the crowds and the outrageous ticket price. They've been supposedly looking into using the Shrek/MIB extended queues and Curious George as optional locations for houses. We should really have 9 or 10 by now, and definitely another show in AA/HMU/T2 theaters along with BJ theater/B&T. Next year we should have 6 rides open: TF, Mummy, Rockit, MIB, Simpsons, DM. There's nothing else that they could really open besides the ride part of Disaster and maybe the new Simpsons flat ride (though i doubt that one).

for SZs, i think we should have set zones in CP, San Fran (that ties into the Disaster house), KZ, potentially Springfield and MIB area, then roamers in NY, Pro. Cen., Hollywood and TF area maybe. i liked the roamers this year, but it was very easy to go all night and miss every horde or only see one of them once or twice. No Safe Zones should definitely come back.

As for 2 parks, i've always said they should do it again. For the studios, have 2 in 23 and 1 in 22 and disaster, then have 2 in 20, carnage and one other location in IOA. potentially a ninth on one side.

And yes, we needz Hollywood's dancers ;)

• Like 1

Penn and Teller New'kd New York. :ninja:

But seriously speaking, all I really would want back is the eight house minimum and a mix of scarezone/roaming hoards. I'm a simple man. (I really wouldn't mind another Penn and Teller themed house though. They're one of the better humor houses that Universal has done in the past. Being completely un-biased)

• Like 4

Penn and Teller New'kd New York. :ninja:

(I really wouldn't mind another Penn and Teller themed house though. They're one of the better humor houses that Universal has done in the past. Being completely un-biased)

agreed. My favorite humor house they've done. it was real fun to walk through and it was themed great. only complaint is the underwhelming use of the 3D though...

And I'd like to see a significant increase in psychological intensity and possibly the gore factor as well. I have absolutely no suggestions for how to accomplish that, but I'd like to see them take the sick up a notch at least.

I'd love to see the gore factor back. Not sure how HHN was pre-IOA since 2002 was my first year, but back then it seemed more "all-out" as far as blood and gore. HHN has become so commercialized and marketable that it seems they lost the roots in the past years. Put the "Horror" back in Halloween Horror Nights and I'll be even happier! Let "Orlando's" A&D do what they do best!

• Like 4

I'd love to see the gore factor back. Not sure how HHN was pre-IOA since 2002 was my first year, but back then it seemed more "all-out" as far as blood and gore. HHN has become so commercialized and marketable that it seems they lost the roots in the past years. Put the "Horror" back in Halloween Horror Nights and I'll be even happier! Let "Orlando's" A&D do what they do best!

I remember back in 2003, while going through the lackluster Jungle of Doom, there was these huge cow and human carcasses hung above you and just split open at the ribs. Just dripping on you while you walked under it. You don't see stuff like that anymore.

• Like 4

Since Uni has generally not had highly IP driven events in successive years, do you think that will most likely affect this coming year? I'm thinking 17, 19 and 22 had lots of IP's, so probably little to none for 23.

wasn't this year supposed to be original? didn't someone said that? that this year was all original and they dumped the IP's on us?

If Uni gets more movie houses for Hollywood I would think they would send them here again. I am starting to be afraid that this will become the norm (specially because of how much money Walking Dead brought)

I'd like to see the Scarezones back for sure. The Midnight Syndicate music was missing this year too. I Liked the use of Nine Inch Nails music in Acid Assault in 2011 as well.

Construction shouldn't matter too much, but the area near Simpsons and Transformers may be more congested.

I liked someone's idea about the combination of Scarezones and Roaming hoards. I didn't mind them this year but think they could have been better situated.

• Like 1

Here's what I wish would happen at HHN23:

.The return of roaming street experiences while also having set scarezones

.No magic shows

.A new Icon designed from the creative minds of A&D with an in-depth storyline that is themed with the event

.A well designed website that is very interactive and dynamic

.The use of IOA or both parks

.The use of Midnight Syndicate's music

...That's all I have for now.

I seriously lost all hope for a 2 park event after this year.

This year (due to space and the Two constructions they had going on) was the perfect year to give us a 2 park event. Specially since we lost one house and there was no space for zones, If there was one time where a 2 park event was really needed was this year.

The fact that they decide to have an event with the constructions going and didn't use the 2 parks only tells me that might never happen. I do not think HHN is ever going back to IOA because it couldn't handle the crowds. My only hope was for a 2 park event but I really think that will never happen again...

Well this was a lovely surprise to find the HHN 23 thread open! :)

Well....what are my wishful thoughts....?

1.) I sincerely hope the legions return, but if not, then just the hordes (which I now prefer over scarezones). Or the foxes...yes....lots of foxes..... (and Tiger Astronaut of course)! :PP

But, I do hope they will have more set pieces. A thought I heard going out was a mix of both scarezones and hordes...sounds fine to me. That way everyone has the potential to be happy. :)

2.) More gore! HHN hasn't had something excessively bloody in awhile. I want something like the Body Collectors, flat out nasty and disgusting! I want spines being ripped out and hearts being thrown from every direction! I want satan to ascend from the bowls of hell...and well I'm getting carried away here, haha. But, you see my point. I just really hope there is a really nasty/gore hound house this year, but of course it will still have to have a good story as well.

3.) Speaking of stories, it would be nice to see more in-depth backstories again on the houses.

4.) A continuation of the Iniquitus story line would also be really neat. We know who created the legions (or who unearthed them that is), but we don't know who/what created the Iniquitus. Shall we find out? I hope so!

• Like 1

I seriously lost all hope for a 2 park event after this year.

This year (due to space and the Two constructions they had going on) was the perfect year to give us a 2 park event. Specially since we lost one house and there was no space for zones, If there was one time where a 2 park event was really needed was this year.

The fact that they decide to have an event with the constructions going and didn't use the 2 parks only tells me that might never happen. I do not think HHN is ever going back to IOA because it couldn't handle the crowds. My only hope was for a 2 park event but I really think that will never happen again...

This is from another thread I had posted in and felt would be helpful here.

When I went to see TJ at "The Creation of a Horrifying Reality" back in October at Elixir Orlando he was willing to answer any question thrown his way regarding this present year and previous years. After the show, the people that had joined me and I got to spend a good twenty minutes just shooting the breeze and talking about the event with him. One of the questions I asked him that night was "Have you considered doing a two park event again?" and "What's up with HHN at IOA and the feasibility of the event with Potter/Seuss?"

He answered them pretty easily. Regarding the question about doing a two park event, he said "It's always on the table. We've thought about going back to a two park format and just haven't had an idea for an event that warrants doing both parks again. Especially when it comes to Islands of Adventure. It was a fantastic location for the event, especially with it's narrow walkways. When we did the event in '06, we felt the event would succeed more in a realistic setting and have large and wide walkways. Thus bringing it back to the studios. The only drawback and perk of IOA is that the majority of the events we'd like to have over there would preferably have to deal with fantasy related themes. One of the reason Terra Cruentas was such a success for us was because of the setting the park gave to us."

As for the Potter/Suess question, he said "We've been able to do the event in Suess and we've been able to modify the area a bit with fog, backwards Suess Landing music, and even cloaked characters at points. We haven't done the event at Island since the Wizarding World was added."

I asked if they were allowed to have HHN at IOA and use the Potter area. He said, "Super easy answer to that one, haha. We haven't asked them if we can yet."

• Like 2

I want next year to have lots of blood guts and gore everywhere! For some reason they haven't had a lot of gore. Also, I want next year to mess with people's minds psychologically and to make everyone to feel uncomfortable. Oh, and have some more backstrories because I miss it.

I don't think that the Walking Dead will come back next year but in the years to come, when its on season 5 maybe. I thought that the WD house this year was alright, giving me a few scares, but I'm not excited about it.

About the lagoon I think that Universal will have it again. I say down, watched it and liked it. About the construction, the herc & Xena building will probably be finished most likely next year, so I'm not worried about it affecting HHN 23.

I actually want to have horror Simpsons next year, or at least some ride induced with SOME horror. I mean, put some Rob Zombie or Alice Cooper in the Rip Ride Rockit at least.

Females dancers? YES?!! Have a house about stippers gone mad! Enough said, next subtopic.

I would like SS 23 to be available for next year, and hopefully it will. I'm okay if next year they had 7 houses, but if they're going to have that many, then they better make up for it by amping up the gore and fear!

I would like to see the original scarezones return. To me they set the atmosphere for HHN.

A mix between IP and original houses is always good.

An icon for HHN 23.

No Nicki Minaj, Kesha or Justin Bieber mentioned at all in the Bill and Ted show. :wacko:

More fog.

An extra house/maze.

A better website. Like the ones before 2010.

Opening scareamonies.

No magic show. Unless they get Penn & Teller.

That's all so far...

Edited by HORRORLANDO

Also, anything and everything possible to eat up the crowds. I think TF will definitely help with that, but anything they can do to disperse the crowds among as many attractions as possible would be sorely needed, especially after the crowds that HHN and other activities have been drawing lately.

H.R. Bloodengutz for icon? Heck, why not? :P To watch over a blood and guts event.

And for heaven's sake, I really hope they don't skimp on the actors. You want to maximize your most valuable resource - they did get the numbers amped up toward the end when they added the additional zones, so hopefully they will continue and expand on that, both in streets and houses.

And yes, I'd like to see a mix of stationary sets and roaming hordes, as others have recommended. And continue with Horror Unearthed and/or LT. I dearly love when they cater to the fan community, and they were just phenomenal with us this past event year.

• Like 2

I think of a lot of what I'd like to see echoes others' wishes:

1. Mix of sets and roaming hordes.

2. The return of 8 houses, if not more.

3. An additional show. With the amount of crowds, a third show would go a long way in alleviating that

4. An icon! Icon's are a great way to tie together the event (if done well), and give the event a face.

5. The return of both Legendary Truth AND Horror Unearthed. Wrapping up the games the way they did gave us a perfect lead-in for the two groups

to square off in this year's event. And if they tie the scare zones/scare zones into that war, even better.

6. Invade both parks! Running with the HU/LT theme, give each group one of the parks, with associated houses, scare zones, and hordes. That would be a truly awesome event.

7. No shared IP's, unless done intelligently. TWD, Alice Cooper, and Silent Hill were not great houses, imo. TWD was a waste of a license (there was nothing there that really made it stand out as TWD instead of just a generic zombie house), and Alice Cooper/Silent Hill made no sense unless you were versed in their respective universes. If we're going to get shared IP's (or even IP houses in general), PLEASE let them fit the theme of the event and add something to the experience other than larger crowds.

• Like 1

2013 Wishful Thinking ...

• The question comes up every year USF or IOA, personally id like the event to be kept at USF.
  • Do away with the street experience
  • No magic shows
  • A sequal to the Alice Cooper house, even though most people would disagree.
  • No Walking Dead
  • Use the arch video screen
  • 8 houses
  • Better website
  • Like 1