Would it be possible to have a combined Universal and IOA horror Nights linked through the backlot

Looking at the google Map of Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure, they appear to be linked by roads/pavements on the backlot.

Would it be possible, to have IOA and USF linked together through the backlot during Halloween Horror Nights, Houses/Mazes could be placed in the dark backlot area and parts of Islands such as Jurassic Park and Poseidions fury could be opened during Halloween horror Nights. While areas of the park like Harry Potter and Zeuss Landing that cannot be used during Halloween horror Nights remain closed off.

Edited by matt_world2004

lets not forget about the amount of dead space.... you think the studios sees emptiness now, imagine how much less you'd see with a 2-park event....

and lets not even talk about the budget and how thinly its already spread...

I thought people complaining about the amount of dead space, because there are no fixed scarezones?, there are no fixed scarezones due to the space taken up by construction work.

Just to try thinking outside the box for a minute ... what about a two-park event with no (direct) cross-over? Say, 4 or 5 houses and 3 or 4 scare-zones/hoardes in each park. Or maybe give IoA 4 houses and Bill & Ted, but the event needs to look evenly balanced to the general public. Dueling icons, each with a themed "signature" house/SZ in their respective park--other houses/SZs could be loosely tied into the theme, or fit the surroundings (admitedly easier in IoA, but I suppose any sort of IP could fit the "theme" of the Studios).

End result, ideally, is that the crowds are more or less evenly split. Won't overwhelm IoA--or at least MSHI, TL, JP and LC, the parts I imagine would be open--and wouldn't forced US to be weighted so heavily to the front of the park. Would also eliminate the potential dead space.

And, for Universal, they get to sell 2 tickets instead of 1, even if they offer a savings on the second park. Could also use this to justify raising FFP prices. The number of scare-actors would not be that far off from the the number ultimately hired this year. This plan would require more operations and attractions people, but they are already trained, so it's simply a matter of adding more shifts, same as around Christmas. And Universal would have extra cash from members of the general population buying two tickets, parking twice, and spending twice as much time in the parks eating and drinking to offset those costs. The buzz would be phenomenal, easily washing away the mixed reviews of 2012.

Thoughts? Would the average HHN guest go for this? What about the superfans?

• Like 1

Just to try thinking outside the box for a minute ... what about a two-park event with no (direct) cross-over? Say, 4 or 5 houses and 3 or 4 scare-zones/hoardes in each park. Or maybe give IoA 4 houses and Bill & Ted, but the event needs to look evenly balanced to the general public. Dueling icons, each with a themed "signature" house/SZ in their respective park--other houses/SZs could be loosely tied into the theme, or fit the surroundings (admitedly easier in IoA, but I suppose any sort of IP could fit the "theme" of the Studios).

End result, ideally, is that the crowds are more or less evenly split. Won't overwhelm IoA--or at least MSHI, TL, JP and LC, the parts I imagine would be open--and wouldn't forced US to be weighted so heavily to the front of the park. Would also eliminate the potential dead space.

And, for Universal, they get to sell 2 tickets instead of 1, even if they offer a savings on the second park. Could also use this to justify raising FFP prices. The number of scare-actors would not be that far off from the the number ultimately hired this year. This plan would require more operations and attractions people, but they are already trained, so it's simply a matter of adding more shifts, same as around Christmas. And Universal would have extra cash from members of the general population buying two tickets, parking twice, and spending twice as much time in the parks eating and drinking to offset those costs. The buzz would be phenomenal, easily washing away the mixed reviews of 2012.

Thoughts? Would the average HHN guest go for this? What about the superfans?

that would be really awful. you would be paying twice for what you pay just once every other year,

someone actually suggested this before in here I think, but someone suggested the idea of making a kids friendly halloween event at IOA. Which could be a good idea, something like Mickey's not so scary halloween party but in Islands,

I could see something like that working but who knows.

that would be really awful. you would be paying twice for what you pay just once every other year,

To play devil's advocate, plenty of people are paying twice rack rate or more for express pass, which is basically a way to experience HHN with less crowding.

someone actually suggested this before in here I think, but someone suggested the idea of making a kids friendly halloween event at IOA. Which could be a good idea, something like Mickey's not so scary halloween party but in Islands,

I could see something like that working but who knows.

I could see it working with Potter--don't think it would have a chance again the Mouse's brand-name (and pixie dust addicted fanbois) without that, tho.

To play devil's advocate, plenty of people are paying twice rack rate or more for express pass, which is basically a way to experience HHN with less crowding.

I could see it working with Potter--don't think it would have a chance again the Mouse's brand-name (and pixie dust addicted fanbois) without that, tho.

I don't pay for Express ever. A lot of people use the coca cola cups and pay 40 for their one day event without express, if everyone bought express passes the express line would be as long as the regular line, it would defeat the purpose, not to count all the Frequent fear pass people, which don't buy express either. the reason houses get to 90 and 120 minutes is because they didn't buy express.

but lets say you are right about Express, imagine having to pay twice for Express (once in each park) imagine having to pay two times tickets and express to visit 4 houses each park, that would even be awful for Express people too lol

• 2 weeks later...

A two-park event would actually be even more difficult now. I've been on that end of the backlot a few dozen times since August, including going between the parks by crossing through the soundstages, and there's not as much space as you'd think. Even before the construction began backstage, the space between the parks that wasn't taken up with buildings was a road and the soundstage parking (which is used by any productions going on in the soundstages; I was part of one from August to October). There's simply not a whole lot of space between the parks and the ongoing construction project ensures that there will be even less for future events.

IOA has its own problems. There's very few locations in the park that would allow for a house without completely shutting down an attraction, restaurant, or store for months in the regular operating hours. The paths are narrow and everything is a circle (even this year, Universal had shortcuts). Warner Brothers wants nothing to do with Horror Nights at Harry Potter, and Seuss's widow has consistently put the kibosh on using Seuss Landings. So you've got guaranteed dead air.

And HHN would still need to have a reasonable budget. So you probably won't get much of an increase in content (if any at all), but it's now spread over a larger area.

Just to try thinking outside the box for a minute ... Dueling icons, each with a themed "signature" house/SZ in their respective park--other houses/SZs could be loosely tied into the theme, or fit the surroundings (admitedly easier in IoA, but I suppose any sort of IP could fit the "theme" of the Studios).

^not really "outside of the box"... This is more or less the original concept for 2001's event... yes, they were thinking of "2 parks" well before 2004. They had different takes on the icon... mostly involving Jack (well... somewhat).. but yea, they've already thought of this.

But as Cody, myself and others have said... it won't be happening. The construction for Potter will last until around 2015... IOA itself is rumored to be getting a new ride in 2014. So its best to keep things the way they are... in the studios where the event belongs.

• 2 weeks later...

If Universal wants to duplicate the success of this year (which was financially a powerhouse and operation-wise a failure) they need to move to IOA.

They need more than 7 houses and five rides (even the addition of Transformers won't cut it). Because of the addition of Rip Ride Rockit and Blue Man Group, the Studios side can't get anymore than 3 entrances for a studio house.

While at Islands, nothing is blocking guests to the sound stages, not even Hogwarts express. Move in the Sprung houses and you can fit 9 or 10 houses in that park, plus a dozen guest guzzling rides.

Hollywood RRR ran till' 2am this year. I know they closed down Hulk and DD early in HHN past but if that might be an outdated rule if they're allowed to keep that hunk of junk running that late at night.

If Transformers is going to be very popular, what happens when there is an hour wait for it when the park closes at 5pm? Remember that the first two years of Revenge of the Mummy it was opened at the second park later in the evening.

Warner Brothers wants nothing to do with Horror Nights at Harry Potter

Other than a baseless rumor, where has this been mentioned?

When I went to see TJ at "The Creation of a Horrifying Reality" back in October at Elixir Orlando he was willing to answer any question thrown his way regarding this present year and previous years. After the show, the people that had joined me and I got to spend a good twenty minutes just shooting the breeze and talking about the event with him. One of the questions I asked him that night was "Have you considered doing a two park event again?" and "What's up with HHN at IOA and the feasibility of the event with Potter/Seuss?"

He answered them pretty easily. Regarding the question about doing a two park event, he said "It's always on the table. We've thought about going back to a two park format and just haven't had an idea for an event that warrants doing both parks again. Especially when it comes to Islands of Adventure. It was a fantastic location for the event, especially with it's narrow walkways. When we did the event in '06, we felt the event would succeed more in a realistic setting and have large and wide walkways. Thus bringing it back to the studios. The only drawback and perk of IOA is that the majority of the events we'd like to have over there would preferably have to deal with fantasy related themes. One of the reason Terra Cruentas was such a success for us was because of the setting the park gave to us."

As for the Potter/Suess question, he said "We've been able to do the event in Suess and we've been able to modify the area a bit with fog, backwards Suess Landing music, and even cloaked characters at points. We haven't done the event at Island since the Wizarding World was added."

I asked if they were allowed to have HHN at IOA and use the Potter area. He said, "Super easy answer to that one, haha. We haven't asked them if we can yet."

So, unless TJ was fibbing, which I really doubt he was. Especially considering that this whole presentation was at an entrepreneur and business event. I think the whole "Warner Bros and JK don't wan't Horror Nights inside Hogwarts blahblahdowweeeeegjthh" argument is not true, and just a wild rumor that's made it's way around different forums and has taken on a life of it's own.

If anyone else has questions about things they discussed at this event, just let me know!

• Like 2

If Universal wants to duplicate the success of this year (which was financially a powerhouse and operation-wise a failure) they need to move to IOA.

They need more than 7 houses and five rides (even the addition of Transformers won't cut it). Because of the addition of Rip Ride Rockit and Blue Man Group, the Studios side can't get anymore than 3 entrances for a studio house.

While at Islands, nothing is blocking guests to the sound stages, not even Hogwarts express. Move in the Sprung houses and you can fit 9 or 10 houses in that park, plus a dozen guest guzzling rides.

USF can handle 9-10 houses easily as well. Wesker(Chris) mentioned to me that right now the Shrek and MIB extended queues are being looked into to hold a house and Curious George can as they planned ST3 for that area in 06. those 3 plus the 7 they already have (not to mention ample room to hold another sprung) makes it 10 spaces.

the event also needs more shows. not everyone that goes to the event does houses. FFL, AA, BJ, HMU, and even potentially T2 theaters can all house shows, plus the lagoon.

for rides, Disaster can just run the tram part of it, RRR, MIB, Simpsons, TF, Mummy, and DM.

10 houses, 4-5 shows, 7 rides and streets would be a very ideal event and would probably make it worth the $90 (or however much it'll be next year), but that's VERY unrealistic with their budget i'd imagine. i hope for 9-10 houses one day, but i don't think next year is the year they'll start that with all the money they're dumping into the daytime parks right now.

Hollywood RRR ran till' 2am this year. I know they closed down Hulk and DD early in HHN past but if that might be an outdated rule if they're allowed to keep that hunk of junk running that late at night.

Rockit was never an issue that I'm aware of, no doubt do to its location far away from "civilization". When IOA was built there was an agreement with the neighboring community that Duling Dragons would not run after a certin time due to noise concerns and the closeness to the Turkey Lake area homes. It was not a law but self-imposed by Universal to be good neighbors. I'm not 100% certin if Hulk was in that agreement but both have always closed early during late nights at IOA. If this agreement has changed I've seen nothing in the media about it.