Walking Dead & Horrors Better in Daytime

atigeg

Normally the Disaster queue house isn't too good in the daytime because of the light that gets in, but this year I have to say I actually like Walking Dead better in the daytime! It's my favorite house overall, and being able to see some of the Walkers before the attacks actually added to the experience for me. I've done it twice in the light and twice after dark, and I love seeing the sets and scareactors as they run me ragged with their aggression.

I noticed the same thing with House of Horrors. Everyone keeps saying it's like Dead Exposure, but the first time I went through it was at night and I wasn't disoriented at all. Went through it during the day yesterday and didn't know whether I was coming or going. Did it at night, and once again the lighting was "meh," although the house itself is fantastic (my second fave this year). I think it's a combination of my transition lenses being still dark, coupled with generally going from blazing daylight to pitch dark and strobes.

Do they set up the houses during the day? Given the sudden location change they might have only had time to design the lighting during the day and not realize that it makes a difference day vs. night.

The event takes place at night. I'm sure the lighting package is meant for the night and not day. Just because a house faced some adversity doesn't mean Universal is going to forget something as simple as the lighting during the first hour or so of the event compared to the majority of the evening which takes place in the dark. I gurantee they focused more on the night time. Maybe someone else who has been through the house can elaborate on what they've noticed.

They focus all of their energy on the night hours, as that's when the majority of the event runs. However, they do make sure that the houses are workable in the roughly 2 hours maximum of daylight that you'll get. At least up to the point where you'll never worry about a scare being ruined by it being too bright. In terms of your eyes adjusting to darkness in a soundstage, you're on your own there.

In years past, the Disaster queue house has always had daylight issues in the past in the early hours of the event. Normally it's a detriment because you can see the scareactors so you don't get the "surprise" scares. However, with Walking Dead, I find it to be as much about the environment as it is about the scares, coupled with the fact that Walking Dead fans will love seeing the details you absolutely don't see when it's dark. The scareactors are aggressive enough to make the scares work when it's light in there, too. It's like two different houses in day vs. night.

I have to agree with you!

I've done the Walking Dead a few times at night, along with a few times during the day. I think I prefer it during the day simply because I can look at everything better, but the night runs are just as good.

House of Horrors is definitely disorienting during the day. The other night I had quite the interesting walkthrough. In the Brides of Dracula room, I looked at the mirrors and I saw this older guy wandering around in there. Guess he got lost. I didn't get to stick around and see how he got out unfortunately. After the ducking portion, everyone went left (no op in the room for whatever reason). I tried to call to them, but they didn't hear me, so my boyfriend and I got to go alone the rest of the house. It made it all the more fun, although the ops were of course rushing us along.