Dead End

Mr.Grim

This house met my expectations. I love the idea of Universal doing a "classic" haunted house and the execution and story were done well. This house had really great detail that will probably get overlooked due to the color scheme of an old dilapidated house and low light. That being said, each room has really nice touches and great focal points, as well as secondary items that deserve a look. I really liked the fact that Universal used the vortex in a very different way this year. The rooms flow really well together with the exception of the transition from the "green house" to the "attic" and then the "cellar". The scares were abundant and there was a nice mix between aggressive and spooky scares. They really have a great audio scheme, and T.J. said that the sound would be different and more intense this year due to use of smaller "plantable speakers" and you can tell. The combination of the decor, detail (mildewy walls and sheets), and smell (mildew or musk pumped in, probably froggys fog or scent box) really immerse you into the environment. The house gives alot more than most will notice... when you go through, take in the whole environment, up, down, side to side and in between, and let the scares find you. The facade is creepy and convincing, my only complaint would be the out of place scareactors outside of the facade, and the lack of a true climax- It was more of a rollercoaster than a crescendo. MAKE Note of-... entryway, vortex hall, greenhouse, library (grab a book lol) and our "Wrong side of the bed" room.

I give this house a 7 out of 10- for now -and I am interested to see how this house will evolve throughout the course of the event. Well done!!

Edited by Mr.Grim
  • Like 2

Is there an effect/scareactor that goes along with the bed? And do those Scareactors just stand there or are they inviting you in?

Yes there are 2, and the scareactors at the entrance were very stationary and stared at you when you entered. The house was very ghosty/poltergeisty. Loved it.

Is this relly based on preview or the media event last week? Because there are no scareactors infront of the facade.
The media preview,....does it matter?....changes are made throughout the event. We were given the first live look at how they originally wanted it presented, if they have already started fine tuning it, thats wonderful, notice that the scareactors at the front were my only complaint. It seems they did take much of our feedback into consideration. I will also be posting reviews of everything Friday night as well, immediately after attending opening. Edited by Mr.Grim

The media preview,....does it matter?....changes are made throughout the event. We were given the first live look at how they originally wanted it presented, if they have already started fine tuning it, thats wonderful, notice that the scareactors at the front were my only complaint. It seems they did take much of our feedback into consideration. I will also be posting reviews of everything Friday night as well, immediately after attending opening.

Changes are made throughout the event yes. But that was also hype by putting them there. They didn't fit and they knew that they had them there so people got a clear look at what's in the house.

I'm glad to hear they are gone too. And the mask on the one (female?) to the right was as shiny as the Lady Luck masks from last year. Looked totally out of place and gave me pretty low expectations for the rest of the costumes in the house before even seeing the video.

Again, glad they chose to remove them from that section.

• Like 1