Dead End

Mark M.

I have not been on the UMTH tour. As I understand it the house is not haunted by spirits of the dead, but rather by projections of the belief in such things by the people of Carey.

In other words it's haunted because somewhere deep down in your twisted mind... YOU WANT IT TO BE!!!!

Not a new idea. I've read reports of these phenomena that are normally given he name "Tulpa".

I suppose the human mind is capable of anything but if we are able to manifest our beliefs into reality then wouldn't we see Santa Claus every 25th of December? Millions of children believe in his existence.

The horror/science fiction author Thomas Ligotti had a short story dealing with Tulpas titled PURITY.

Not the greatest of sources but good for a general idea...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulpa

The story of DEAD END, though neat, is irrelevant to me as it isn't conveyed in the house. The experience Just feels like a hodgepodge of spirits infesting a house.

Edited by YourPallbearer
  • Like 1

This would be #1 for but honestly I felt it relied way to much on timing. I loved the first room with the spirit? on the stairs. The tunnel was cool but if you didn't get it just right you'd miss it. There were just a lot of scares that had longer reset times and unless you went through multiple times you'd miss some of them. That and there were spots that felt a little empty, such as that one hall with the wood on both sides. What was up with that? Was there anything in there in the beginning? No air effects or anything. Just a long hall.

With that said, if you got the scares they were intense and awesome. The sets for were beautiful as well. The effects were also well utilized.

This would be #1 for but honestly I felt it relied way to much on timing. I loved the first room with the spirit? on the stairs. The tunnel was cool but if you didn't get it just right you'd miss it. There were just a lot of scares that had longer reset times and unless you went through multiple times you'd miss some of them. That and there were spots that felt a little empty, such as that one hall with the wood on both sides. What was up with that? Was there anything in there in the beginning? No air effects or anything. Just a long hall.

With that said, if you got the scares they were intense and awesome. The sets for were beautiful as well. The effects were also well utilized.

I don't know why so many houses have empty halls, House of Horrors has an empty hall, Gothic has the empty hall with the little statues, Silent Hill has it with the lockers (they have air guns shooting at you, but I Was disappointed that so many houses had empty rooms, the long corridors where nothing is going on, I don't know why

• Like 2

If you want to see this house with the lights on, do the UTH tour! We had a wonderful tour guide who is very knowledgeable about the event. We learned back stories and more about the houses. I love some of the effects! Also, when you walk through the house at night, you realize how much you saw...including the story teller. If you didn't see it during the day, you don't see it at night!

Came on to say that the utilization of the vortex in DEAD END is perhaps the best use of it ever during my years at the event.

Every time I saw it in previous years it seemed so out of place; a sleazy carnival inclusion in a top notch/state of the art amusement park.

And while I have nothing against sleazy carnival amusements, they don't belong in HHN. Unless they theme a house to be just that.

Also, anyway I can get the back story on each of the "haunts" in DEAD END.

Tried searching on youtube for the daytime tour but alas, couldn't find anything.

• Like 1

I believe I may have finally found the Texas Chainsaw reference in this house. In the Attic scene ear the end there is a scareactor who portrays a withered old man. Last night I saw him slumped over in the antique wheelchair which made him the spitting image of the Grandpa character from the original 1974 film.

I have still not found Freddy's sweater which is attached to a sewing machine somewhere in the house. I have seen several sewing machines, but none of them have any garments in them... I hope this is not an example of pilferage by bad guests, but rather that there is yet another sewing machine that I have yet to find.

I have not seen any reference to Jason yet, although it has been said that there is one somewhere in this house as well.

If you want to see this house with the lights on, do the UTH tour! We had a wonderful tour guide who is very knowledgeable about the event. We learned back stories and more about the houses. I love some of the effects! Also, when you walk through the house at night, you realize how much you saw...including the story teller. If you didn't see it during the day, you don't see it at night!

THIS! There is also a cameo by Freddy's sweater and Leatherface's shirt in the "attic"!

And the final room is on its side. Hard to tell at night though bc that screen is so bright your eyes don't adjust fast enough!

But this house I thought was EPIC! Especially after hearing the back story on the UTH tour! Very well done house with cool scares!

I believe I may have finally found the Texas Chainsaw reference in this house. In the Attic scene ear the end there is a scareactor who portrays a withered old man. Last night I saw him slumped over in the antique wheelchair which made him the spitting image of the Grandpa character from the original 1974 film.

I have still not found Freddy's sweater which is attached to a sewing machine somewhere in the house. I have seen several sewing machines, but none of them have any garments in them... I hope this is not an example of pilferage by bad guests, but rather that there is yet another sewing machine that I have yet to find.

I have not seen any reference to Jason yet, although it has been said that there is one somewhere in this house as well.

Leathefaces shirt is on the left in the attic laying on something about waist high. Freddys sweater is directly across from it on the right. Its not on a sewing machine though its half in a trunk or something. I have pics from the UTH tour I will post soon!

• Like 2

the story about this house and how the ghosts are there because of people reminds me of Slenderman and how the internet will probably make him real lol.

Maybe Universal should indeed create a Slenderman house just like the hundreds of requests that the facebook page gets all the time.... :rolleyes:

Sad news, on Thursday someone freaked out in the greenhouse and ran into the mirror gag smashing the glass. As of tonight it's just covered with a black sheet. Our tour guide said that it should hopefully be fixed by Thursday. :(

Seriously!? Wow, I think that is so strange that someone would freak out *that* bad... to run into a mirror...rather than out those neon green exit signs. :huh:

Grrr, I hope it is up and running Thurs cuz that's when I will finally be able to come down to HHN!

Madmonk, what do you mean? what is up with the queue line?

Probably one of the WORST ques. When you think the que is over you make an unexpected turn into an endless looping cycle of que. The Dead End que is the only one dread.

• Like 1

This house was phenomenal. Start to finish, incredible. Easily the most intense house of the event, and the most intense I've been in for sure. Not only are the actors hidden really well, but the scares are setup perfectly with distractions from either a gag or the detail in the set design itself. Shoutout to "Broken neck" ghost for the scare of my life.. my heart was in my throat and I felt like I couldn't breathe for a few seconds. The bathroom scene was anther intense one as well, as I got both scares in this room and soiled myself a little.. which was ok, because it WAS the bathroom. The use of classic haunted house gags done in this house were brilliant, and the Pepper's Ghost was my favorite. This is a scare you may or may not want to time right, because it has one of the largest speakers Universal has available mounted right above you and it will make your ears ring. Don't stare at the ghost too long, she'll catch you like she caught me, and it won't be pretty! By the time I got out of this house, I needed to sit down and take a breather. I like to think I'm very difficult to scare, but this house had me jumping all over the place. Serious props to the cast in this house.

If you still have the chance to take the UTH tour, DO IT! To be able to see all of the details put into this house (and there is ALOT of detail) and to get to hear the full backstory, it was worth it for this house alone. One hidden easter egg I haven't seen mentioned too much is the picture of the Storyteller in the opening scene. It is impossible to see during the event, and still difficult to see until it's pointed out in the UTH tour, but it's there for us fans!

UTH38_zpsec18365b.jpg

Oh Dead End, how I love your house...but absolutely DESPISE your queue line...

Those of you who have 5 in 1 badges for this house have my upmost respect. That's a hell of a lot of walking!

The queue is absolutely miserable, the worst one of the event for sure. We waited 60 for this house and it felt like 3 days (it was still worth it for this house, though!). I couldn't even imagine waiting 90+ like it has been the past few days. I don't think anything is worth the wait in that line for that long.

Edited by Coast
  • Like 1

The queue is absolutely miserable, the worst one of the event for sure. We waited 60 for this house and it felt like 3 days (it was still worth it for this house, though!). I couldn't even imagine waiting 90+ like it has been the past few days. I don't think anything is worth the wait in that line for that long.

Dont forget there were also immature teenagers that made it feel 40 minutes longer.

• Like 1

Oh Dead End, how I love your house...but absolutely DESPISE your queue line...

Those of you who have 5 in 1 badges for this house have my upmost respect. That's a hell of a lot of walking!

the very worst thing about this line is when you are really close to the entrance of the house, you think you are going in and they just happen to make the line longer , is like you are about to go in the house and they close the line and make you go all the way even thought you are still first in line.....

• 2 weeks later...