Universal's House of Horrors

Mark M.

I came back here to ask OTHER than the Uni Classics what else would they have in here. Nosferatu is Classic Uni so I wonder if they will have some others! Or maybe Nosferatu was a clue to Dracula since that film was actually Stokers Dracula...

Nosferatu was not a Universal film. It predates Universal's Dracula by 9 years. But if he is indeed in there and they're mining the really old stuff, than it's possible we could see Thomas Edison's Frankenstein; Der Golem; Dr. Caligari and his somnambulist Cesare; Maria from Metropolis; Lon Chaney's Hunchback, Phantom and character from London After Midnight; Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde; etc...

I'm guessing that of those, Nosferatu is really only the most likely since he's the most well known (save for the Phantom), and this is Universal's House of Horror, but talk about a way to use some free IP's! :) If the really did go back to film's roots and these characters, this would hands down be my favorite house.

Just an FYI on Nosferatu.....

He was featured in 2009's Horrorwood Die-In scarezone instead of Dracula.

However, classic Frankenstein made an appearance in that SZ.

in regards to Halloween 3... while Universal distributed that film, it did NOT feature or revolve around the Michael Myers character in any way what-so-ever unlike the previous 2 films & the following sequels. So again, Michael Myers is not happening.

okay... since i'm sure many are going to associate this with Hollywood's year-round haunt, I figured I should provide a breakdown of what each scene is within their attraction....

eIc6m.jpg

Timeline (Movie posters)

Exhibition (similar to HMU's lobby, serves as queue line)

Dracula's Portal - Only visible under flashes of lightning, Count Dracula and his army of bats are pleased to welcome you to the House of Horrors.

The Catacombs - Hundreds of pairs of eyes peer at you out of the darkness as you enter the terrifying underground domain of Nosferatu - the earliest movie vampire.

The Crypt - Burial chamber filled with the corpses of vampire brides where Dracula's favorite victim Lucy Weston awaits you.

The Phantom's Lair - Explore the cavernous passageways of the Paris Opera House where the Phantom's dreaded noose has found a victim. Then up a flight of stairs to...

The Mummy's Tomb - Step into the claustrophobic tomb of Imhotep where an ancient curse has resurrected the 4,000 year old Mummy.

Good Guys Toy Factory - All is not well in the toy factory - the place seems to be overrun by Chucky the serial-killing doll.

Frankenstein's Lab - Igor taunts the monster with fire, before you enter the huge Dr Frankenstein's Laboratory set at high level overlooking the huge apparatus during a massive thunderstorm.

Psycho Mirror Maze - Here's Mother to welcome you along with some other pieces of Norman Bate's work. Can you escape the maze without taking a shower?

The Morgue - There seem to be more fresh bodies here than they have room for. Just force your way through the body bags blocking your route. But watch out for the zombies trying to get in. Then down two flights to stairs to...

Wolf Man's Forest - A peaceful pine-scented forest disturbed only by the terrifying Wolf Man. Once you've escaped the forest, you must travel through the spinning tunnel, decorated with disturbing runes and images from classic horror movies.

Frankenstein's Lab - A closer look at the mad Dr Frankenstein's work. Watch out for Igor.

The Slaughter House - Taking it's inspiration from Dawn of the Dead, dare you enter the zombie slaughter house? Hey - is that a chainsaw??

Congratulations - you survived Universal's House of Horrors. Now "GET OUT".

Now I personally don't expect to see some of the scenes listed (The Morgue/The Slaughter House)... Now since the house description also says "Universal's Classic Monsters", I'm not expecting Psycho or Chucky to be featured either. Honestly, throw in CFTBL & Bride of Frankenstein, you'll have plenty to play with. I'm hoping that each "monster" would be show-cased in at least 2 scenes each, not counting the finale.

Now regarding the whole "DE-style" aspect that was mentioned before the "reveal". Don't look at it like Dead Exposure... remember, the information supplied from sources is just "generalization". So a lightning flash effect can be used like DE's blacklight camera flash, BUT there could very well be a chance that we'll be seeing the classic monsters in "color" rather than black/white.

I think this is a very clever and unique take on the classic Universal Monsters with the possibility of also being very, very scary. Plus, it's always nice to see them back in the park. Can't wait to see who makes an appearance ;-)

PS folks- Halloween 2 AND 3 were Universal films :-)

• Like 1

PS folks- Halloween 2 Universal films

^that explains why those two can be bought "together" lol...

oh and according to the press release:

Universal’s legacy of horror continues as the classic monsters of fear appear in blinding black and white in House of Horrors.

Hopefully this is just referring to the strobes because "black/white" for the house in general will get rather boring if not executed properly. But again, I say, don't expect anything else besides the classic monsters. Everyone else has had their time to shine, unlike the Monsters.

• Like 1

I really wish this was in a soundstage... the sets for this could be EPIC

the Parade Building is basically a soundstage house location.

It has the height, the open floor plan, and can have scareactors in harnesses above you just like a normal soundstage.

If they execute it correctly, I believe the classic Monsters presented in black and white could be fabulously eerie. Find yourself emerging in a B&W celluloid world, populated by 100 year old horror icons. Throw in some Murnau and Lang, and I'm set for life.

Oh, and I love the idea that Norman could be the one who comes home. Uni did demolish his home, after all. With Psycho also being a black and white treasure, I would not holler if Mother came to visit.

...erm, actually I probably would.

So I think it's safe to say the house will feature only classic Universal and open domain horror. I'd love to see Mother Bates though.

THAT my friend would be freaking amazing. She/he is one of those classic characters that just completely creeps me out. She/he really is a monster, just not the typical kind we associate as being such.

I really wish this was in a soundstage... the sets for this could be EPIC

The parade building has all the makings of a mini-soundstage...with this being somewhat of a signature house for Uni. If they didn't think this building would do the concept justice, they wouldn't have placed it there. :)

If they execute it correctly, I believe the classic Monsters presented in black and white could be fabulously eerie. Find yourself emerging in a B&W celluloid world, populated by 100 year old horror icons. Throw in some Murnau and Lang, and I'm set for life.

Oh, and I love the idea that Norman could be the one who comes home. Uni did demolish his home, after all. With Psycho also being a black and white treasure, I would not holler if Mother came to visit.

...erm, actually I probably would.

I was thinking the same thing Kathy! This is one of the few concepts that could pull off a completely B&W house devoid of all color. Norman and Mom can make an appearance, hang out, stay and have coffee even...because that would make me an equally happy camper.

• Like 1

why would Michael Myers be featured in a UNIVERSAL House of Horrors?....

Universal was the production company for Halloween II (1981), this is seen on IMDB and is/was (not sure if it's still there or not) featured in the Horror Make Up lobby.

From IMDB:

Company credits for Halloween II (1981)

Production Companies

Universal Pictures

De Laurentiis

Distributors

Universal Pictures (1981) (USA) (theatrical)

Universal Studios Home Video (USA) (laserdisc)

MCA/Universal Home Video (USA) (laserdisc)

MCA/Universal Home Video (USA) (VHS)

Now whether or not they still have the rights to this, I'm not sure, but if they do, technically they could use this version.

Also, if you look at one of the covers it says "More Of The Night He Came Home".

This is all just a FYI and am not saying Michael Myers will be in House of Horrors! :)

• Like 1

I'm excited about this, though it's not my most anticipated house... the parade building has always had fantastic houses in the past, though, so I have high hopes for this.

I am a bit concerned about whether it will really be scary enough. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Frankenstein, the Wolfman, etc... but, in their classic looks, they're not really all that frightening anymore. I'm sure they can pull it off, but honestly, characters like Frankenstein and Gillman could almost be considered "cute and cuddly" by now. Speaking of which, I DO hope Gillman makes an appearance, he really deserves more exposure than he gets.

• Like 1

I'm excited about this, though it's not my most anticipated house... the parade building has always had fantastic houses in the past, though, so I have high hopes for this.

I am a bit concerned about whether it will really be scary enough. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Frankenstein, the Wolfman, etc... but, in their classic looks, they're not really all that frightening anymore. I'm sure they can pull it off, but honestly, characters like Frankenstein and Gillman could almost be considered "cute and cuddly" by now. Speaking of which, I DO hope Gillman makes an appearance, he really deserves more exposure than he gets.

I wouldn't expect them to keep their original looks. They should have an updated look in order keep the house scary. Edited by Terra Guard

I totally disagree, I am hoping they have their original looks. I liked the Frankenstein we had a few years ago, but I feel to pay respect to the "originals", they should have a somewhat original look. Obviously better make up and what not, but still recognizable as the original monsters

Preferably... I would like to see a mix of both "classic" & "reimagined".

Despite what some people might think about the Monsters in their "classic" form not being scary, I'd say that tell me how unscary they are after they've popped up out of nowhere from the darkness similar to the zombies in 2008's Dead Exposure (or any darkly lit house for that matter). Even the least scary looking things can provide scares.

As I said though.... I want to see their classic forms, then a reimagined form...

• Like 2

^^I would imagine they'd keep their original looks. They're touting it as the original monsters not remade monsters.

Edit: ^ Just saw your post Wesker, I agree. A mix of Classic and Reimagined would be best to keep it scary, and nostalgic at the same time.

Edited by Hauntfan

They can still be original and be reimagined, without being "remade". As you can see from the description below, it says the lightning flashes show their "true faces". To me, thats a more monstrous reimagined version... something scarier. Although hopefully they dont ruin it. <_<

7dKNS.jpg

sure you can... look at all the McFarlane toys. Awesome redesigns.

There is lightning right? so this sounds like a physical space then not a conceptual one. Lightning implies something has gone awry. Perhaps a museum or movie marathon? Lightning strikes and the monsters come to life is a more horrid twisted way. Or somehow the lightning sucks you into a real life version of the museum, movie, etc.