Universal's House of Horrors

Mark M.

Gave this house another try, with an open mind, not trying to hate it,

I liked it, I like some things, some things do not work,

I will be honest and I will try to not be negative,

the building is too bright, you can see the roof and there is light coming from somewhere, is very dim, but it ruins part of the experience, this house really needs so type of tarp roof or something on top to darken it out, I know this is not possible, it is just a shame that it cannot be darker, so if it was darker it might have been nicer,

I guess this house should be visited when the sun is still out and our eyes come in from the sun.

another problem I see this house having is that it is not painted enough, it is lacking a little bit of detailing, I wish they painted everything a little better, some of the masks and some of the rooms need a little bit of more paint, maybe,

I had a nicer time this second time I saw it and i liked it, I Don't hate it, but it could be a little better, a little more details in the rooms more decorations could have been nice, even if it was painted details, it feels a little plain, too plain.

this house totally, really reminds me of the Snow White's Scary Adventures ride at Magic Kingdom, feels very very similar to that ride, or Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin ride at Magic Kingdom, it reminds me a lot of those two rides.

I had a nicer time today and liked some rooms

I liked seeing the monsters, the actors do a good job with the scares,

Edited by Mr. Black

Now for me to give the praise the house deserves. For those complaining about the lack of detail because the house is unfinished. Shut your traps. TJ confirmed to me tonight that they are still working on the house. So I don't want to hear it.

- Brides of Dracula scene now has spiderwebs painted on the walls

- Dracula's corridor has vines in the "windows", gargoyle statues along the upper part of the walls, and i I forgot to point out that you should all look up towards the end of the hallway..

- the lighting effects have definitely been tweaked since last weekend. Big improvement depending on the scene.

also, i got the crap scared out of me tonight in the CFTBL scene... from BOTH sides <_< That was nice. Also got a good scare from Bride of Frankenstein as well tonight.

Only monster left to scare me is The Wolfman... so i say bring it!

this house totally, really reminds me of the Snow White's Scary Adventures ride at Magic Kingdom, feels very very similar to that ride

This ride does not exist anymore... just sayin...

• Like 1

I am really really glad to hear that they might add more stuff, it definitely needs it,

the house could actually be amazing if this house was really really dark and had more details and more decoration, this house is warming up to me,

I am kinda liking it, if they add more stuff then that's really good, it definitely needs it, and with a little more stuff it could be really cool.

The Mummy room really needs an actor in the roof of that part where you have to bend down, it would be such a great scare, the actor by the side, you can see the actor,

The Mummy room really needs an actor in the roof of that part where you have to bend down, it would be such a great scare, the actor by the side, you can see the actor

Having a scareactor above you in The Mummy scene would be pointless since you have to duck/crouch to go through the scene. I watch people when i'm going through this house, 75% of them don't look up. So take your pick... something new or something done already in some of the other houses.

Actually you can't see the scareactor in the wall anymore, they've added hanging crap, so he's basically hidden. which to me actually hinders his scare a bit. I found it was probably more affective for that scene to have him exposed. You're too busy concentrating on getting through that crawl space & assume he's a prop... then "oh noes! he moved!"

Not sure what the reasoning was tonight, but the Mummy that is waiting to attack in the hallway right after the crawl space was MIA. I was disappointed to an ops person where i'm used to seeing a Mummy with an air-hose.

Now for me to give the praise the house deserves. For those complaining about the lack of detail because the house is unfinished. Shut your traps. TJ confirmed to me tonight that they are still working on the house. So I don't want to hear it.

Yeah, it's SO unfair that people who paid to go opening weekend are complaining about a halfway done house. Who cares if that will be their obly visit to the park this year? How dare they? Just tell em to wait until next Halloween and "shut their traps."

• Like 3

I got a great and unexpected scare last night from... myself. I was in the last room and was going towards what I thought was the exit, and this new terrifying apparition looms up before me.. hair and dismembered body glowing in the black light... as I recoiled it slowly dawned on me that I was being frightened by my own reflection in the mirror... I was wearing one of those "Zombie Sublimation" shirts they have on sale at the event. Frankenstein bemusedly pointed towards the actual exit as I sheepishly went out.

• Like 2

Sorry, gonna call you on the attitude. Not everyone is spoiled like we are getting to go 20 times in a year. HHN opened last Friday to paying guests--the house should have been ready. Transformers construction is going 24/7, should've done the same here if necessary.

• Like 2

Yeah, it's SO unfair that people who paid to go opening weekend are complaining about a halfway done house. Who cares if that will be their obly visit to the park this year? How dare they? Just tell em to wait until next Halloween and "shut their traps."

Sorry, gonna call you on the attitude. Not everyone is spoiled like we are getting to go 20 times in a year. HHN opened last Friday to paying guests--the house should have been ready. Transformers construction is going 24/7, should've done the same here if necessary.

that has happened before though, it is not that new of an idea. Houses are always changing and getting more stuff as the event progresses,

It sounds very unfair (plus all that rain Friday meant no zones) but this is not that uncommon

Both of you sound incredibly spoiled and ungrateful. You should be thankful there is even a 7th house at all. I'm sure A&D had to push to get it approved otherwise, we would have only had 6 houses. In case you forgot, SS44 was ripped out from under them well after the house had begun construction inside. So its a miracle we even have a house.

Building houses for HHN aren't as simple as you think. They have to get a location approved, a permit for that location, the house signed off by higher-ups, costumes made, house built, etc etc.. So its pretty amazing that they even have a house standing with only having less than a month. Lets not forget that the cast of this house only get 2 rehearsals like the other houses, but they didnt even have costumes the first rehearsal. Only partial costumes the next.

I garauntee you that this house barely even got a budget due to the fact that the budget for SS44's house was already spent. And no, they couldn't have just taken that house & put it elsewhere. Houses are designed by their locations, this is no exception for SS44, which is not easy due to what use to be inside the former soundstage. Specific layouts cant just be used elsewhere.

Its funny how so many of you forget what has transpired this year regarding the event and yet give a house shit just because it doesn't have fap-worthy sets like Gothic. Like I said, you should all be thankful you even got a 7th house because we could've easily only had 6.

• Like 5

I don't care how many houses there are, you don't put out an inferior product. And then have to listen to harpies like you tell me I should be grateful anyways. I want you to go to out to dinner tonight, and buy yourself a filet mignon. A nice one. A $50 cut. And then I want it to come out terrible. But if the chef stops by and says "Listen, I know YOUR steak is terrible...but it's a work in progress. The steak in three weeks will be delicious." How satisfied are you gonna be Wesker?

Don't care about budget, don't care about time frame. Do it right, or don't do it. Look at the Apple Maps fiasco.

• Like 3

I don't care how many houses there are, you don't put out an inferior product. And then have to listen to harpies like you tell me I should be grateful anyways. I want you to go to out to dinner tonight, and buy yourself a filet mignon. A nice one. A $50 cut. And then I want it to come out terrible. But if the chef stops by and says "Listen, I know YOUR steak is terrible...but it's a work in progress. The steak in three weeks will be delicious." How satisfied are you gonna be Wesker?

Don't care about budget, don't care about time frame. Do it right, or don't do it. Look at the Apple Maps fiasco.

Im not taking sides but, be glad we have a 7th house at all. I understand where you are coming from though.

Edited by Dr. D
  • Like 1

Fun Fact: Using your 3D Glasses from Penn and Teller in this house will make it look awesome

I tried that and I got a lot of scares and everything looked better, since I could not see the roof or the boo holes the actors surprised me,

the Wolfman got me so bad, really scared me bad, then one of the brides scared me pretty hard,

Edited by Mr. Black

Fun Fact: Using your 3D Glasses from Penn and Teller in this house will make it look awesome

I tried that and I got a lot of scares and everything looked better, since I could not see the roof or the boo holes the actors surprised me,

the Wolfman got me so bad, really scared me bad, then one of the brides scared me pretty hard,

Hm looks like i'll have to try that :)

Both of you sound incredibly spoiled and ungrateful. You should be thankful there is even a 7th house at all. I'm sure A&D had to push to get it approved otherwise, we would have only had 6 houses. In case you forgot, SS44 was ripped out from under them well after the house had begun construction inside. So its a miracle we even have a house.

Building houses for HHN aren't as simple as you think. They have to get a location approved, a permit for that location, the house signed off by higher-ups, costumes made, house built, etc etc.. So its pretty amazing that they even have a house standing with only having less than a month. Lets not forget that the cast of this house only get 2 rehearsals like the other houses, but they didnt even have costumes the first rehearsal. Only partial costumes the next.

I garauntee you that this house barely even got a budget due to the fact that the budget for SS44's house was already spent. And no, they couldn't have just taken that house & put it elsewhere. Houses are designed by their locations, this is no exception for SS44, which is not easy due to what use to be inside the former soundstage. Specific layouts cant just be used elsewhere.

Its funny how so many of you forget what has transpired this year regarding the event and yet give a house shit just because it doesn't have fap-worthy sets like Gothic. Like I said, you should all be thankful you even got a 7th house because we could've easily only had 6.

that makes me wonder, why create an entire new concept, new everything, I understand they cant just put one house from building to building, but they had to completely create everything from scratch? Im really asking, not trying to sound sarcastic,

Could they have been thinking about the Universal House from before already? something they wanted to do from before but were holding off?

just sounds odd that they would have to come up with an entire new idea. Why couldn't they just use the same idea but start a new house of course but with the same theme?

that's what i didn't understand.

this house is growing on me now, I like it now more than the Cooper house, I will visit it more,

they have many house concepts, this one just happened to be the easiest and it filled the void of the "100th year anniversary" for Universal. Its really not that odd... plans change/concepts change... its nothing new. A&D got royally screwed over with SS44 and as a result we may have ended up with a better house than what we were originally going to get. No point on dwelling upon it.. they shelve concepts for a reason... so we will most likely see SS44's house in the future.

• Like 1

so i've noticed that they have shifted the Bride of Frankenstein to the left side of the room now instead of being on the right side where she normally is.

The Frankenstein rampage scare is rather cool in that scene as well, however somewhat hard to see, but still gets the job done.

Don't think I really noticed anything "new" as far as details go. But i am happy to say i have been successfully scared by all of the monsters within the house. Although technically Phantom shouldn't count since its an air-blast that does the scaring in that scene (unfortunately). However, the Phantom in the finale has gotten me..

Definitely a solid house with a cast that is working hard. Some timing still needs a little bit of work, but I sort've blame that on the lighting effect. I saw in the wolfman & CFTBL scene where there was potential for epic scares, but they didn't have the light flash to illuminate them.

• Mark M. changed the title to Universal's House of Horrors