Universal's House of Horrors

Mark M.

I don't think we'll be getting the classic monsters re-imagined or updated in any way. Why? Because Universal said we're not on their media site.

"This is no remake. No sequel. No re-imagining. These are Universal’s classic monsters of fear, who have terrified audiences from the Silver Screen."

I'm really hoping they're the original looks, which it sounds like they are. If the whole house is B&W, even better! It'll definitely be something I haven't seen before. I wonder if they'll use the original scores as well. Startle scares are easy, and it doesn't really matter what the thing looks like with the right setting. Given the use of strobes, I'm guessing this house will be full of them.

I hope the Frank room has some active tesla coils. A local haunt uses a very large one. It's a great sound, a great distraction, and would be fantastic in this house.

I hope the Frank room has some active tesla coils.

um..... lets not and say we didnt. We all remember what happened last time they tried using this.... or lack of what happened. :unsure:

If the house is like Dead Exposure, then don't expect elaborate "effects"... Besides, 2009's Frankenstein finale laboratory scene was pure strobes, so I wouldn't expect much of a difference other than "constant" strobes.

Bet "The Fly" pods from HMU find their way into Frankenstein's scene....

um..... lets not and say we didnt. We all remember what happened last time they tried using this.... or lack of what happened. :unsure:

If the house is like Dead Exposure, then don't expect elaborate "effects"... Besides, 2009's Frankenstein finale laboratory scene was pure strobes, so I wouldn't expect much of a difference other than "constant" strobes.

Bet "The Fly" pods from HMU find their way into Frankenstein's scene....

For those of us that haven't gone every year, what happened? And I'm really thinking that this isn't as DE as people are assuming it will be. I think there will be a lot of control over light and dark, but I don't think it's going to all be strobes. It would seem like a bit of a waste to do a house like this in all strobes. And depending on who they use, it wouldn't make sense for every monster. Of course, I never saw DE, so I don't know if they used other techniques beyond strobes or flashing black lights...

Lets just say.... Tesla Coils used in Florida climate don't work out too well...

and yes, Dead Exposure was strictly blacklight strobe lights. You were in pitch black darkness, the "camera flash" would go off & there was a zombie infront of you, darkness, "camera flash" nothing, camera flash "OH GODZ ZOMBIE"...... some scenes were more steady strobes than other, like the crowded room... or to some of us upon first seeing it- "NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN." room.

So yes, from the description of this house... it will be replacing the "camera flash" with a "lightning flash"

• Like 1

Thanks for the video Jeramy! Always cool to see inside the houses I missed. And this talk of the crowded room is all WAY to cryptic for me. :) Someone want to spill the beans? Were there just a lot of zombies in it? Something else?

20 mannequins dressed like zombies, 2 or 3 live scareactors, me a cowering ball of OMFG!! this is not cool.

The room made me whimper like a small child.

I literally finished that house in a dead run to get out. I also pushed my sister toward the zombies.

• Like 3

Why would you want to run through that? That sounds AWESOME! I'd spend as much time in there as I could. Of course, I'm also weird...

I'm with you but it's hard to do with people are pushing you from behind because the room scares them so much. It wasn't my favorite house but that room is memorable to say the least.

Is that the room that was somewhat duplicated in Hallow'd Past?

Ugh.... lets not even mention that failed attempt. It'd be better if we could erase it from existence. But yes, they TRIED and failed miserably by making it a hallway. Even worse that they made it two rooms, total waste.

Anyway... back to the House of Horrors..

its amusing to think how many times this house (or a form of it) has appeared at HHN before.

They are not going to celebrate 100 years of Universal horror one year and 100 years of other genres another year. This is it and I do believe that the house this year is their homage to the part the classic monsters played in Universals history. Looking forward to this house immensely.

Why would you want to run through that? That sounds AWESOME! I'd spend as much time in there as I could. Of course, I'm also weird...

This is why you and I will get along famously...every time we hit that room room in DE with the mannequins and live scareactors mixed, I made it a point to walk as slow as possible...regardless of how many people were pushing us from behind...I wanted to enjoy that room to its fullest extent :)

I'm very curious to see if the strobe and light elements that made DE so successful will prove to do the same for this house.

• Like 3

This is why you and I will get along famously...every time we hit that room room in DE with the mannequins and live scareactors mixed, I made it a point to walk as slow as possible...regardless of how many people were pushing us from behind...I wanted to enjoy that room to its fullest extent :)

I'm very curious to see if the strobe and light elements that made DE so successful will prove to do the same for this house.

Yeah, see my issue is that I tend to unintentionally go through houses quickly, not from fear, but because I'm really excited to see what's in the next room! :) Thankfully, with an event like HHN, I can blitz through it the first time, and then do it again and take it all in a bit better. And I plan on doing that a lot with this house, especially if there are strobes. I want to see as much detail as possible.

Funny little story to give you an idea on how I handle haunts: I was in MA last month for work, and ended up with a day to kill (thank you, American Airlines). So I hopped on over to Salem, MA, and did a couple year-round haunted houses there. Went through both of them solo, and was told on the second that I could make it as scary as I wanted. I told them to make it the scariest they could, and the guy yelled out that there was a 10 coming through. All I can say is, it could have been scarier. And I even tried to take my time through it too!

• Like 1