Scented candles that may bring back HHN memories

zombieman

We are all coping with the loss of HHN in our own way, and I'd like to share something that might help - the scent of Horror Nights.

This is NOT a plug for either of these companies.  I purchased from both and this is a mini review.

While listening to podcasts, I've often heard of theme-park scented candles.  This is usually the "ET forest" smell which everyone claims is dead-on and instantly reminds them of the queue.  I seem to be one of the few who doesn't recall that smell.

In the past few months I have heard of "Horror Nights" scents, and found two companies online that sell them.  One place offers a LOT more than just candles, but their Horror Nights is pleasant and not something I associate with HHN.  The other offers a more limited selection, but it's smell is intense and distinctly HHN.

Magic Candle Company

This place has seemingly endless scents, all named for various theme park attractions and memories (Banshee Flight, Autumn on Main Street, Pineapple Whip?!?)

They also offer Horror Nights.

Described as: "Featuring a blend of Ozonic notes, aquatic notes and musk notes that recreated the familiar smell of pyrotechnic fog to perfection."

Magic candle Company sells candles, room spray, wax melts, fragrance oil, and car air fresheners.  Horror Nights is available in all of these formats.

$17 for an 8 oz candle, plus shipping.  I seem to recall they give you a discount code if you sign up with Email.  Reasonable shipping prices based on weight, not quantity.

I purchased the wax melts and car fresheners.

What I smell: Definitely not fog.  No floral notes.  Very powdery smell, like Febreze.  Nothing musty or dirty, as I would expect from HHN.  If I really strain my olfactory senses, I can smell a hint of smoke, but mostly it just smells like a candle. That was my daughter's thought after I proudly displayed the air freshener I paid a crapload for.

Verdict: If anyone walked into the room they would say it smelled nice.  Not scary, spooky, or haunted in any way.  If the box didn't say Horror Nights, you'd probably say it smells like ocean mist.

Park Scents

A vastly smaller assortment of scents (Flume water, Wizard Beer, Banana Breath)

They also offer Halloween Horror.

Described as: "Evade danger as you enter this scare zone.  Make your way through the screams and the fog, but be warned....the night lives on!"

Although Park Scents also sells Oils, Room Sprays, and Wax Melts, Halloween Horror is only offered as a candle.

And this candle is freaking EXPENSIVE.  $25 for an 8 oz candle, but free shipping.  I dislike it when they build shipping into the price; bad deal if you want to buy multiple items.

I only purchased the candle, for which I used the code "PARKSTOP" to get (I think) a 15% discount (again, I have no connection with Orlando ParkStop or either scent company)

What I smell: Very STRONG smells - Fog, Dirt, Musty.  I purchased a bottle of scented oil to add to fog juice at a trade show years ago.  It was called "Moldy Crypt".  This is the exact same smell.  Might even be the same company, for all I know.  People say this is the same smell they have permeating the Tribute Store at Universal this year.  I cannot attest to it, but it smells like Horror Nights.  I recall this smell in Graveyard Games, Hive, and I think the Attic scene of Insidious (I may be wrong, but I'd bet on it).  This one is the real deal.  But there is a downside - while it may bring back instant memories of HHN, the smell is not something people would associate with a candle - certainly not an air freshener.  That is why I say this smells like fog - fog you smell when you are in a graveyard or crypt scene.  It is distinct, and I guarantee will instantly remind you of a haunted house or graveyard.  This will be off-putting to those who don't love HHN.

Verdict: If you want to relive HHN in your home, buy this.  But beware: others may find this smell unpleasant, but admit it - that makes you want to buy it even more.

• zombieman changed the title to Scented candles that may bring back HHN memories
  • 10 months later...

I just tried the Souvenir Scents double pack that you guys put out there on Twitter recently, they are the best HHN based scents I've tried out of all the different companies out there. The E.T is ridiculously good too.

I'm trying to think how to describe them.... The Fog one literally smells like walking through a massive cloud of the fog, no doubt about that, with no stupid cinnamon / pumpkin / popcorn notes. The maze one I didn't know what to expect because there's a lot of smells in them, it has that really dark kind of dirt smell but also everything else around it like wood and paint etc, it's like it put me into a maze again and not just focused on one scent, but it also actually smells quite pleasant lol. It's very cleverly done. I hope they do more HHN based ones later.