HHN 22 (2012) Audition Discussion

I really doubt there would be. Since Universal has switched to the appointment style. The only thing I can say is to keep checking the website often. Someone might cancel theirs and thus leaving a open spot. Also they might add another audition date (don't hold your breath).

I got a spot! I kept checking, and a spot opened up on the 17th at 9pm

According to a friend who is a veteran Scaracter, you should just keep checking back if you're having trouble scheduling your audition. Times will continue to open up as people cancel and reschedule and more openings become available.

Alright here is my story, I've been a lurker on here since the first HHN I went to which was 2008. I'm from DC and it has always been my dream of mine to be a scareactor even before I knew of HHN, I attended Busch Gardens Williamsburg's Howl-O-Scream and always wanted to be a part of their event but it never worked out due to distance etc etc. However I became a Disney CP in 2008, thus my first event, and fell in love with HHN. I returned as a summer CP in 2009 and wanted to audition that year but I still didn't have a car down there then. After that summer I moved back up here to DC and always thought of auditioning for 2010 and 2011 but due to life and not being able to get a solid audition time I didn't try. Now here we are in 2012, I've secured a 5:30 spot on the 17th and I'm feeling pumped like it might actually happen this time! However a friend of mine seems very concerned about the fact that I love the event so and doing it as a scareactor might ruin the event for me and turn it into a job however I have always read how everyone enjoys being part of the event so much that I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on that. Furthermore I am still in DC and I don't mind taking like two months off my full-time job to do this but since it would be that I just want further advice or if I should just stick to going on vacation in October and enjoying the event that way OR maybe the casting people will take care of that problem for me and not hire me at all haha (#sadface #butstillconfidentIcandothis). Also I remember reading about advice about scareactors actually attending the event but if I could get a refresher on that as well that would be awesome.

A big thanks to everyone who helps out and just a thanks for this forum's life for it has been an awesome way for me to read up on the event we all love so much, hope this year is still awesome even with all the negative vibes from the speculation.

Alright here is my story, I've been a lurker on here since the first HHN I went to which was 2008. I'm from DC and it has always been my dream of mine to be a scareactor even before I knew of HHN, I attended Busch Gardens Williamsburg's Howl-O-Scream and always wanted to be a part of their event but it never worked out due to distance etc etc. However I became a Disney CP in 2008, thus my first event, and fell in love with HHN. I returned as a summer CP in 2009 and wanted to audition that year but I still didn't have a car down there then. After that summer I moved back up here to DC and always thought of auditioning for 2010 and 2011 but due to life and not being able to get a solid audition time I didn't try. Now here we are in 2012, I've secured a 5:30 spot on the 17th and I'm feeling pumped like it might actually happen this time! However a friend of mine seems very concerned about the fact that I love the event so and doing it as a scareactor might ruin the event for me and turn it into a job however I have always read how everyone enjoys being part of the event so much that I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on that. Furthermore I am still in DC and I don't mind taking like two months off my full-time job to do this but since it would be that I just want further advice or if I should just stick to going on vacation in October and enjoying the event that way OR maybe the casting people will take care of that problem for me and not hire me at all haha (#sadface #butstillconfidentIcandothis). Also I remember reading about advice about scareactors actually attending the event but if I could get a refresher on that as well that would be awesome.

A big thanks to everyone who helps out and just a thanks for this forum's life for it has been an awesome way for me to read up on the event we all love so much, hope this year is still awesome even with all the negative vibes from the speculation.

Working as a Scareactor will definitely not ruin it for you. If anything it will enhance the experience, you'll make new friends who appreciate HHN like you, and you'll be able to go as often as you'd like (on your off days of course).

You wouldn't even need to necessarily take a whole two months off from your DC job. Get the Scareactor role, ask to be an Active Backup. You'd be able to take two weeks off, work the days required and enjoy the event.

It honestly depends. I worked the event as a scareactor before I ever attended, and while I have enjoyed attending the event I will freely admit my perception as a scareactor is different from that of a guest. There are reasons for that, though:

1. You understand misdirection (specifically the type Universal uses). It's excedingly difficult for me to get scared only because I recognize the techniques Universal uses. Most scareactors I know (and have gone through houses with) are similar to me in that respect. While we still appreciate the artistry of the event, it does lose an element of grandeur.

2. You focus much more on scareactor performances. In houses and scarezones, a scareactor "mistake" will stick out in your mind (I remember a Nightingale last year who was crouched down bringing her head out at knee level. I hope she never got kicked). Conversely, you will have a much greater appreciation for a good scare.

3. You will grow to both hate and love the guests. You will get hit, screamed at, groped, and insulted. You will also get cheered, high-fived and complimented. You will also find yourself cracking up, regularly.

4. The machinations of Universal will cloud your opinions. I can't reiterate this one enough.

Is scaring fun? Yes, but there is a reason about 15-20% of people quit in the first two-three weeks. It isn't for everyone.

Working as a Scareactor will definitely not ruin it for you. If anything it will enhance the experience, you'll make new friends who appreciate HHN like you, and you'll be able to go as often as you'd like (on your off days of course).

You wouldn't even need to necessarily take a whole two months off from your DC job. Get the Scareactor role, ask to be an Active Backup. You'd be able to take two weeks off, work the days required and enjoy the event.

Wait I thought Active Backup had to be there for the whole duration of the event as well?

It honestly depends. I worked the event as a scareactor before I ever attended, and while I have enjoyed attending the event I will freely admit my perception as a scareactor is different from that of a guest. There are reasons for that, though:

1. You understand misdirection (specifically the type Universal uses). It's excedingly difficult for me to get scared only because I recognize the techniques Universal uses. Most scareactors I know (and have gone through houses with) are similar to me in that respect. While we still appreciate the artistry of the event, it does lose an element of grandeur.

2. You focus much more on scareactor performances. In houses and scarezones, a scareactor "mistake" will stick out in your mind (I remember a Nightingale last year who was crouched down bringing her head out at knee level. I hope she never got kicked). Conversely, you will have a much greater appreciation for a good scare.

3. You will grow to both hate and love the guests. You will get hit, screamed at, groped, and insulted. You will also get cheered, high-fived and complimented. You will also find yourself cracking up, regularly.

4. The machinations of Universal will cloud your opinions. I can't reiterate this one enough.

Is scaring fun? Yes, but there is a reason about 15-20% of people quit in the first two-three weeks. It isn't for everyone.

Thanks for all the insight and info! Yeah I have had a couple of Disney Cast Member friends who "hang out" with certain characters and they have come across the instances you noted, the groping, screaming and insulting however the great reactions from guests who respect you are always awesome. Thanks again for your notes, def will think about it as the 17th comes up and such!

Anyone have any info on the differences between reunion auditions and regular ones? This is my first year doing a reunion audition and I'm a little nervous. Do they ask different/more in depth questions or do they go more off your past record? I'm just terrible at remembering little details about past years should they ask us about that.

Anyone have any info on the differences between reunion auditions and regular ones? This is my first year doing a reunion audition and I'm a little nervous. Do they ask different/more in depth questions or do they go more off your past record? I'm just terrible at remembering little details about past years should they ask us about that.

Same question as last year (I think). What was my favorite role of the past year(s).

Wait I thought Active Backup had to be there for the whole duration of the event as well?

I thought you had to be there too, I don't know, plus, if they need you to replace a part? don't they make you stay there for the whole thing if they need it?

They will provide the specific rehearsal date for your location no later than your orientation. Rehearsals actually run (typically) between RTU and opening. Once you have the specific date of your rehearsals, then adjust your schedule.

• Like 1

They will provide the specific rehearsal date for your location no later than your orientation. Rehearsals actually run (typically) between RTU and opening. Once you have the specific date of your rehearsals, then adjust your schedule.

Thank you Legacy!

I have quite a predicament I have my audition coming out for Halloween Horror Nights but I'm Disney College Program too, I'm scared that my Disney schedule is going to interfere with HHN If they do want me as a Scareactor and it sucks because i really want to do HHN, and I dont know what to do any suggestion???

• Like 1

You should be able to trade shifts with other Disney Cast members when you have conflicting schedules. I would start asking immediately after finding out if you've been cast.

You can also speak with your managers after finding out if you were cast, and see if they can give you opening shifts for hhn days.

I thought you had to be there too, I don't know, plus, if they need you to replace a part? don't they make you stay there for the whole thing if they need it?

Firecrew has to show up every day of the event. Active Backup only has to show up five event nights whether they get a role or not. Active backup has to wait around until a certain time to sign in and prove they showed up for those five unless they get a role, that is when they sign in.

I have quite a predicament I have my audition coming out for Halloween Horror Nights but I'm Disney College Program too, I'm scared that my Disney schedule is going to interfere with HHN If they do want me as a Scareactor and it sucks because i really want to do HHN, and I dont know what to do any suggestion???

You should be able to trade shifts with other Disney Cast members when you have conflicting schedules. I would start asking immediately after finding out if you've been cast.

You can also speak with your managers after finding out if you were cast, and see if they can give you opening shifts for hhn days.

well college program has to work 5 days a week no? so it would be hard to be available, and giving shifts is not as easy, I don't know

Unless you say you want to be Active Backup, talk to your managers and try to either change shifts or give them away, but, it won't be as easy

Firecrew has to show up every day of the event. Active Backup only has to show up five event nights whether they get a role or not. Active backup has to wait around until a certain time to sign in and prove they showed up for those five unless they get a role, that is when they sign in.

oh okay so it was Firecrew that I heard,

so Active Backup only works 5 days? and even then you might not even be needed?

wow, it that is the case I would totally try to audition, do they tell you what days you have to show up?

Edited by black mask
  • Like 1

so Active Backup only works 5 days? and even then you might not even be needed?

wow, it that is the case I would totally try to audition, do they tell you what days you have to show up?

They can only work five. That's the amount they have to at least show up to not be fired.

Edited by AWeed

well college program has to work 5 days a week no? so it would be hard to be available, and giving shifts is not as easy

ah, it changed since I was in the program....regardless, you could still try and trade for opening shifts on days of the event.