Best and Worst effect/type of scare

Just was wondering what is the best effect or a type of scare you've seen inside a house and what might be the worst.

For some of the best I have to say the bridge effect in Intersteller Terror, Hades with the Minotaur Mirror tricks, "Under Water" diver scene in Saws N Steam and just about all of In-Between.

For the worst The last Zombie scare in ZombieGeddon, The creature under the bed..(?) in Creatures, The two rooms across from each other in PsychoScarepy: Echoes of Shadybroom,

It was just another scare-actor hiding along the fence after the final scene to run out and scare you. It also was post to connect to the guest that it was the same person at the start of the house but got bitten and became a zombie.

The times I went through, he was just standing there looking other he just wouldn't come out.

So many to choose from but I really like the "hull breach" in Interstellar Terror with the wind and the guy being sucked out. Such a shame it didn't last long. Also I loved the scene in Legendary Truth with the three windows with the faces. The ones that went "Boom Boom Boom" and on the 4th one a scareactor would come around the corner.

Based on my three-year attendance...

The Army of Hades (Hades finale) and Into the Fog (Forsaken finale) were both effective because of the fairly claustrophobic layout and its tag-team scare.

Rooms like the Blood Room (Dracula finale) and 6 Pigs in One (Saw finale) have seemed to be quite effective due to their overwhelming amount of actors.

The jump scare during stained glass window section right before the Chapel in The Forsaken always got me because he was able to do it so much (therefore getting me every time) and his AAT was incredibly loud and sudden.

The Ranch House (The Strangers room) in Silver Screams, while not necessarily scary, was quite unnerving and has stuck out in my mind quite vividly due to the simple reality of the scene.

The Death Mask (Venus Fly Trap) show scene in Saw has also vividly stuck out in my mind because of its sheer creepiness.

I can really only think of one type of scare that just has never been effective with me and that is the overhead scares. The zip-line/harness/whatever they use scenes I think are really great... it's the scenes when there's just an actor crouched over the guest that aren't effective. The Grate in The Spawning and Latticework Room in The In-Between come to mind.

Meh, I wasn't impressed with the Big Daddy in the Saws and Steam house.

One of the best effects I've seen recently is the soldier getting ripped in half inside of Nightingales. Another one of my faves are open area parts of houses, usually at the exit, when you can basically run out into an open area and there's tons of sheets and scareactors. They used that one in Psycho-path with the shower curtains and Mothers, and in Texas Chainsaw Massacre, with the bedsheets and Leatherfaces.

Another one of my faves are open area parts of houses, usually at the exit, when you can basically run out into an open area and there's tons of sheets and scareactors. They used that one in Psycho-path with the shower curtains and Mothers, and in Texas Chainsaw Massacre, with the bedsheets and Leatherfaces.

That effect was also used in Dead Silence The curse of Mary Shaw... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Actaully I liked a lot of the effects in IT. the bridge, the hull breach, the floor boards moving. Awsome stuff.

But the wall and floor scene in LT. The waterfall in SNS. The flooded portholes in Frightanic... really could go on and on. So many cool effects.

• Like 1

What'd they do to simulate it?

A series of air burst of varying heights and intensities along both sides of a mine shaft. A rumble would be heard before growing louder and then dozens of these air blasts would hit you. They would also "follow" you as you ran out the house. It was simple, but the sound combined with the "feel" of rocks falling around you would send people running.

• Like 1

Actaully I liked a lot of the effects in IT. the bridge, the hull breach, the floor boards moving. Awsome stuff.

But the wall and floor scene in LT. The waterfall in SNS. The flooded portholes in Frightanic... really could go on and on. So many cool effects.

wow. i don't remember a single thing from that house. I guess i don't remember some awesome things.

Some sick effects i do remember are the ripped soldier in Nightingales, Laser room in IB, Mirror trick in Hades with the Minotaur, the room in DE replicated in Hollow'd Past(although that room didn't do it any kind of justice), the pig finale in SAW wasn't really an effect, but it was one of the only scenes to get a scare out of me in that house.

Most amazing effect was the bottomless pit at Erebus in Michigan just a couple of years ago. It was very much like the string room in last year's In-Between, but on a grand scale. Make a mirrored floor and cover it with plexiglass. Then use a sander to buff a narrow path along the plexi. When properly lit, the sanded path will appear to be a very narrow bridge over an endless chasm. I was freaked out in that room, trying to hold on to anything I could find. Instant vertigo. Scary as hell and no actors required.

Runner up effect was at HHN Hollywood around 1998. In a house designed by Clive Barker, I remember a room that shrunk around you. I don't mean just a side wall that came toward you. Both walls closed in, then the ceiling and wall behind you. That's the way I remember it, but we all tend to recall scares much more elaborately than they actually happened.

To me, the worst scares are those that involve shaker cans or people screaming for no reason like they do at Howl O Scream.

wow. i don't remember a single thing from that house. I guess i don't remember some awesome things.

Jeez, I don't recall any of the cave-in from Ghost Town, either.

The Mirror/hanging costume doll room In Poe. Where they were spinning and actors hid behind them. That was one of the best/most effective scenes i have seen in 6 years.

Also the Body room in nightingales was great when the actor was in there.

Edited by scaryguy5

One specific effect that really scared me was in Catacombs. The combination of strobe lights and plague doctor beaks literally inches away from my eye had me terrified in a not so good way of losing my eyeball. Obviously this would not be on purpose but I'm sure it's hard for the scare actor to see me in his mask/darkness/strobe lights.

Best type of scare I've experienced was at my first ever HHN (XI), in RUN. More of psychological effect really, forcefully breaking up our group and sending us into different directions. We'd pass them every once in awhile through a chain link fence shouting "HOW DO YOU GET OUT OF THIS THING?!" Sirens would go off and gates would close behind/in front of you. I doubt a house will be made like this again due to the high demand of getting people in and out as fast as possible now.

Classics like the 'statue scare' still get me, and the mere sound of chainsaws in the distance get my heart pumping.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Thought I'd bring some life to this thread.

The Garden in Dead end was genius, with the mirrors that made it appear empty. I also loved the mirror room in La Llorona, and most recently, the mirror gag in Giggles and Gore

Wow I like mirror gags

Edited by coleman2122

• 4 years later...

Gonna bump this thread because offseason.

Off the top of my head, from my years of attendance:

-The not-mirror in CGY.

-The moving platform sewer guy in DE2.

-The wind and rain in Poltergeist and Ghost Town 2.

-As JDW said, pretty much everything in IT.

-Bungees! Before Fallen I had never experienced the lean-off-the-plank scare, blew me away. Witch flying in ST4 was fantastic.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95