HHN 22 Construction Discussion

JDW

I'm just going to put my two cents in, and feel free to move this to the speculation thread, but if other HAUNTS can create houses in hotels and restaurants then doesn't Universal have endless options for house locations? aka...Monsters Cafe...etc... Just an idea.

They've built houses in restaurants and unusual locations (mostly when the event has been at IOA), but at this stage and with such short notice, i'm pretty sure they're looking for a location where the layout of the house they already planned fits. So some place like Monster's Cafe isn't really feasible.

I still think they have more than enough space in the soundstages, but they need to file the permits asap.

(Edit, Jake partially beat me to it.)

Universal has used a restaurant as a house location, used multiple attractions, and outdoor areas. If they made houses work in Thunderfalls Terrace, Discovery Center, Poseidon's Fury, and The Bone Yard than it's completely plausible for one to be used in Cafe La Bamba or Monster's Cafe.

Or somewhere else entirely.

It should be quite a special event this year, with all these developments.

I completely agree. I think these forced transitions are healthy for the event and the true transition years in general have brought a lot to the event. 2000, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2008 were all transition years and you hear those years thrown around a lot on people's favorites or have shaped the event in a serious way. You can argue that every year has some transitions, but those years have hard, discernible transitions.

Edited by Jakemeister

Ha ha, beat me to it. I had googled it and came up with the former Nickelodeon Game Lab in SS 19 :D

SS33 would be the special event stage. It's the one next to the NY Facade that you walk by on your way to SS23, you see it have the "Black Die Affair" event during HHN each year. It also was the stage that did the first tweetup last year where we got the preview of HHN 21.

• Like 3

SS 33 won't be used because that would be a loss of profit to Universal Orlando some special event parties held after hours at the park cost in the range of $10K - $40K. Monster Cafe' won't be used because since the closing of amity they have lost profit on the food & beverage in that area. The only options that are really open are SS 23 & SS 24 and maybe possible SS 19 which has housed Family Feud and the Power Ball drawnings. :)

• Like 1

Tents are already being used for houses as well as 22, Parade cant due to the Superstar paraade floats occupying the remaining space of that building, 23's been speculated upon but the general consensus is that its unlikely to be used.

WHY NOT? hasnt two houses been in ss 22 and 23 for the past 2 yrs?

WHY NOT? hasnt two houses been in ss 22 and 23 for the past 2 yrs?

SS 22 hasn't seen two houses since the 90's. 23 is speculated to be queue because you have to put all those people somewhere.

I'm shocked we still don't have a permit for whatever is taking SS 44's place. All the changes are making it hard to get a handle on the dynamics of this years event.

Nazarman's is out due to them adding in the Starbucks (what's in the other section to Nazarman's).......Hold on, last year, I was in line for Forsaken and noticed demolition on the old Hard Rock Cafe, what's going in that spot behind there?!?!? ;)

Nazarman's is used for catering storage as well.

in 2010 the permits were pulled rather late, around this time of the year i believe, so they still have time to build the house in another location if the maze can be fitted in a new location fairly easily. The major question is where? 23 is most likely out due to logistics reasons and the need for queue space. B79's out. Nazerman's, as previously stated, houses Starbucks and B&J's now, so that's out. I guess Curious George is possible since they designed ST3 for it back in 06. Dr. Jimmy is hinting at 33 apparently, maybe that's in? There's definitely not enough time to build another structure for a maze, whether it be a tent or a pavilion or whatever. so that leaves, as far as i know, 2 locations for a house. Now, if they do use 33, where the hell would the entrance/queue go? i'm sure 22 will stick with using the Rockit stage area as it's queue, and 20A will use twister, but what about 20B? If enters where it normally does for 23B(in front of the NYC Library facade), then how do you get to 33? That'd be tricky to set up. Unless of course there is a simple way to get to it that i'm unaware of. Curious George could just use the E.T. overflow. That line is HUGE. It could hold enough people.

EDIT: i checked the permit site. they were pulled June 1st in 2010. But im sure that if they pull the permit by let's say Saturday, they'll have enough time to build the maze and get it ready for the opening of the event, even if they have to add touches all the way through EP.

Edited by foREVer56

The big news yesterday was that they was tearing down SS44 yesterday night.

Charles posted on DtF that it's still standing and the construction walls now go past the Donkey M&G and around Monster Cafe. They were taking the tables from the courtyard. The restaurant remained open for lunch however. He said there were construction workers and security personnel all over the site. They're probably demoing it slowly due to safety hazards imposed on the guests during the day. My guess would be but the end of next week, everything being demolished will be gone.

Charles posted on DtF that it's still standing and the construction walls now go past the Donkey M&G and around Monster Cafe. They were taking the tables from the courtyard. The restaurant remained open for lunch however. He said there were construction workers and security personnel all over the site. They're probably demoing it slowly due to safety hazards imposed on the guests during the day. My guess would be but the end of next week, everything being demolished will be gone.

Ah right. They could have done it at night if they really wanted to. But yeah I agree with you, there probably gonna make it a slow process and by the end of the week it will be down.

In lieu of SS44, what about a 3rd Sprung Tent? There's a lot of back lot space near the Crossover/Blue Man Group, the back of MIB, and to the North of B79. The queue egress probably wouldn't be ideal, but it's not impossible. And while on the topic of back lot space, how easy would it be to do something like the Fright Yard from '04 as a substitute for a 7th house? If they’re really in a pinch, I doubt they’re only entertaining lateral solutions. With the Superstar Parade and all this construction, maybe some kind of alternative, like a back lot maze or scare zone, was already in place to compensate for less than the precedent (6 and 8). Separately, if the scare zones and houses are significantly changing, then I’d imagine the shows might be going through significant changes as well (beyond the usual Bill and Ted rewrite and the addition of Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular).

“The whole is greater than the sum of its parts,” is all I can say for this early in one heck of a crazy game.

If this proves to be the case, then Universal is going to have to scramble to throw some kind of value-adds into the park. New shows, open up Marvel Island again, maybe beg Rowling to use WWoHP. Down 2 houses and Jaws and however much sidewalk space due to construction, they need to eat up crowds somewhere.

Marvel and Potter aren't being opened because they're in IOA. the event's in USF. i expect at least DM, HRRR, MIB, Simpsons and hopefully 11 more ride to kill the drowds a little. HMU i'd think would be an obvious choice every year since the show is about horror. About JAWS, nothing is pulling people to the JAWS area due to the lack of house/ride. World Expo will most likely be a major clusterfuck this year. Although with WD being in Disaster!, there's probably gonna be a long stream of people heading that way throughout the night.

In lieu of SS44, what about a 3rd Sprung Tent? There's a lot of back lot space near the Crossover/Blue Man Group, the back of MIB, and to the North of B79. The queue egress probably wouldn't be ideal, but it's not impossible. And while on the topic of back lot space, how easy would it be to do something like the Fright Yard from '04 as a substitute for a 7th house? If they’re really in a pinch, I doubt they’re only entertaining lateral solutions. With the Superstar Parade and all this construction, maybe some kind of alternative, like a back lot maze or scare zone, was already in place to compensate for less than the precedent (6 and 8). Separately, if the scare zones and houses are significantly changing, then I’d imagine the shows might be going through significant changes as well (beyond the usual Bill and Ted rewrite and the addition of Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular).

the addition of another structure to contain a house won't happen this year due to it already being past the middle of June. there's barely enough time to start a house in a preexisting location, let alone build a whole new one.

Sometimes you have to take two steps back in order to go ten steps ahead...

In lieu of SS44, what about a 3rd Sprung Tent? There's a lot of back lot space near the Crossover/Blue Man Group, the back of MIB, and to the North of B79.

Why not another tent? It doesn't take long to put one of those structures up, all that's needed is an area. Which they have PLENTY of that.