HHN 22 Speculation

My first year is going to be the worst year in HHN history.

I hate my parents more than ever for not letting me go last year.

Hell, if this stuff gets absolutely confirmed? I'm probably going to drop going this year altogether. It pains me to say it, since I was looking forward to it like hell, but if this is what we're getting I'd rather just stay in Disney World.

yes but taking away scarezones takes away from the event, scarezones are just as important as houses... everybody knows that... every normal haunted event has houses, and hhn always equals the houses with the number of scarezones which makes it pop. removing scarezones makes it just like everyone else which is not why i go every year. i go cuz its the nations biggest haunted attraction.

well that's what happened in 2007, we had no scarezones, just one Big scarezone where Grown Evil was last year, a long scarezone with clowns

then there was one scarezone in front of the Mummy, I think that was it,

at the end of the event they had to half-ass a scarezone with more clowns, but it was towards the end of the month, and there were no props lol

is almost exactly the same, the same as 2007, well it sounds that way anyways,

Wow, I don't check the forums for 2 days and this is what I come back to? I guess I will start from the top. One scarezone is interesting. I'm expecting the roaming sz's to focus on Walking Dead considering the zombies that move around are called roamers on the show and in the comics. It makes sense and has been right there for us to put 2 and 2 together the whole time. I feel if done correctly with a ton of scareactors it could be cool. 6 houses hurts but could really improve the event minus the lines/crowds. Needless to say express will be a valued commodity this year, oh and don't think for a second they don't know that. I fear the prices for express may be on the extreme side. I think 6 houses could be positive because more money can be spent elsewhere and it appears it won't be on scarezone sets. Hopefully it's used for hiring more scareactors for the roaming sz's and somehow making better houses. Of course it worries me that they seem to have purchased the rights to 3 different IP's. I hope we don't get the 3 IP's at the cost of overall quality of the event. I'm trying to be positive here as you can tell since I know first hand that Comcast loves to cut budgets. I had to deal with several of them in my time as an employee there.

As for P&T being the focus of the event. I'm going to try to be positive, I can say we've complained about Fear and Lady Luck, the last 2 icons so they decided to go in a different direction. They decided to do an event just presented by P&T instead of giving us an icon to complain about. Of course that opens up a whole new can of worms. Different direction, same complaints. Not sure why on earth they would decide to go with P&T but it appears they did. In a way I feel that they feel like they're giving us what we wanted, it sure is different at least. It's not what we wanted obviously considering what I'm reading in everyone's complaints. We wanted a good iconic icon, someone to strike fear in our hearts. Not 2 comics who are sometimes edgy. This is coming from someone who loves their show on Showtime and enjoy their magic. The most edgy thing I have ever seen from them is the knife through the hand card trick or the bullet catch in the teeth. Yeah most of us like the comedy houses but we don't want our entire event based on comics. If they had to go with comics I'd much rather see Joe Rogan host the event. At least he'd have the help of magic mushrooms and bloody UFC fights to help him design a house. Who's next Carrot Top? Ok, ok so I'm getting away from my positive view but I think you guys and gals get what I'm trying to say. I don't like our horror event being hosted by comedians but I'm going to give it a shot anyway because I'm a sucker for HHN and spending the event with my friends.

I plead with everyone if we get the event that is rumored let them know. They always have the exit polls. Don't hold back, tell them how you feel but please at least give it a chance before tearing it apart.

How exactly have they been doing that? Can someone explain it to me. 2008 was a great year for sz's and so was 2010. I have not felt this way at all in fact have felt more emphasis on scarezone quality than years past. Maybe someone else can set me straight???

the exit polls are important for them, most of the time people dismiss them like if they were homeless people asking for change lol, but people should do them

How can 6 houses be a good thing? am I reading this right? that sounds awful, specially when there won't be any good scarezones or rides open or anything, yes they might be able to spend more on the houses but the lines will probably be 2 hours each on peak nights, I don't see how that is a good thing, that's a terrible thing, 7 houses is a bad thing, but 6 houses is a horrible thing, I mean, if they had 3 shows or more rides open or something maybe, or if they had big scarezones,

I know I was told to not be so negative and to Trust Uni, and whatever happens we all will be there, but this sounds like is going to be a bad year for hardcore HHN fans, Im sure the general Public won't care, but it's going to suck for us, I mean, part of it is not even their fault, the construction is making things hard, but why couldn't they use part of IOA I don't get that, why get a permit for a building that was not good to use,

is hard to be positive about this year with so many bad news all around,

Hell, if this stuff gets absolutely confirmed? I'm probably going to drop going this year altogether. It pains me to say it, since I was looking forward to it like hell, but if this is what we're getting I'd rather just stay in Disney World.

photo-thumb-2161.png?_r=1341281002

LOL, I know there are a lot of reasons to be afraid of this year, but you shouldn't write it off right away, the houses might still be really good, 2007 was really good house wise, it was the streets that absolutely sucked so bad,

Haha trust me man, if it's your first year going, you will love it no matter what. Last year was my first year and I absolutely fell IN LOVE. I had been wanting to go since 2007 when I first heard about HHN. Trust me, you will have a great time no matter what :)

• Like 3

I have to ask everyone who is worried about the event:

How long have you been going to the event?

I've been going since 98, and I can't help but wonder if we would still have an event with all this worry and negativity.

My first year had 5 houses (Frightantic was dual run so I count it has 2 houses) and 1 official scarezone. There were no express passes. There was no icon. I fell in love with the event. I fell so in love with the event that I made sure I got married in October, so that I could spend my honeymoon at HHN and celebrate my anniversary there every year.

MOTB was a great scarezone, but it did not have the massive props we see now. Until the move to IOA, the zones didn't really have huge props. The zones were still good. The scareactors made the event not the props.

Since everyone keeps mentioning it, 07's problem was not the lack of themed zones but a lack in the number of street scareactors. Having been to the event with only 1 zone, but with a decent number of scareactors in other areas of the park, that's what hurt 07. Not enough street scareactors.

We don't know how many scareactors we are getting in the houses or on the streets, but there are three open auditions. I have to agree with Jimmy. Give the event a chance.

As for a comedic icon, I would like to point out the one icon who seems to be the most popular icon ever. Jack. Jack was dark humor, and has always been well received. People love him. I don't understand it, he's never been my cup of tea, but every year people ask to have him back.

If the P&T rumors is true, they won't have the in park presence that Jack did. It will be more like the pre icon era.

So as a community, we should watch, wait, and see. Maybe if everyone think of this year as HHN: Old School, it will help.

Edited by mystiquephreeq
  • Like 5

I have to ask everyone who is worried about the event:

How long have you been going to the event?

I've been going since 98, and I can't help but wonder if we would still have an event with all this worry and negativity.

My first year had 5 houses (Frightantic was dual run so I count it has 2 houses) and 1 official scarezone. There were no express passes. There was no icon. I fell in love with the event. I fell so in love with the event that I made sure I got married in October, so that I could spend my honeymoon at HHN and celebrate my anniversary there every year.

MOTB was a great scarezone, but it did not have the massive props we see now. Until the move to IOA, the zones didn't really have huge props. The zones were still good. The scareactors made the event not the props.

Since everyone keeps mentioning it, 07's problem was not the lack of themed zones but a lack in the number of street scareactors. Having been to the event with only 1 zone, but with a decent number of scareactors in other areas of the park, that's what hurt 07. Not enough street scareactors.

We don't know how many scareactors we are getting in the houses or on the streets, but there are three open auditions. I have to agree with Jimmy. Give the event a chance.

As for a comedic icon, I would like to point out the one icon who seems to be the most popular icon ever. Jack. Jack was dark humor, and has always been well received. People love him. I don't understand it, he's never been my cup of tea, but every year people ask to have him back.

If the P&T rumors is true, they won't have the in park presence that Jack did. It will be more like the pre icon era.

So as a community, we should watch, wait, and see. Maybe if everyone think of this year as HHN: Old School, it will help.

There is a big difference between growing each year and taking things away. One is a positive move the other is a negative. You can't miss what you never had but you can miss what you've become used to. The reduced house count and lack of an original icon will be big losses for me BUT I will reserve judgement until the event starts. This will be my 5th year in a row by the way and I travel all the way from England to experience it.

• Like 3

Back in the day there where no icons or many scare zones yet the events where awesome. Just relax people, it's not the end of the woeld. Hail Penn and Teller!!! :-)

I don't necessarily disagree that before we had a big amazing event there was less, but it's like proposing to your girlfriend then cheating on her with her sister, ya just don't do it. Consistency is key when it comes to events such as hhn and by consistency I mean numbers of houses,scare zones, and the quality of all things. I whole heartedly agree that if the quality of the event is given for a crap magic act I will be very disappointed. Penn and teller have no place at hhn, and if it's a great house I'll admit it but I have absolutely no faith what do ever in them being involved in hhn

• Like 3

How can 6 houses be a good thing? am I reading this right? that sounds awful, specially when there won't be any good scarezones or rides open or anything, yes they might be able to spend more on the houses but the lines will probably be 2 hours each on peak nights, I don't see how that is a good thing, that's a terrible thing, 7 houses is a bad thing, but 6 houses is a horrible thing, I mean, if they had 3 shows or more rides open or something maybe, or if they had big scarezones,

I explained how I thought 6 houses could be a good thing in my post. I'm trying to be positive, it's hard but I'm trying. I said I think 6 houses could be positive because more money can be spent elsewhere. Before that I even said minus the lines/crowds because your right they will be terrible if you don't have an express pass. As I said I'm trying to stay positive. My first year there were only 6 houses. I enjoyed it enough to continue coming back year after year so to me it isn't the worst thing ever. We're spoiled now and it will hurt to lose 2 houses but we'll have to deal with it for this year. All I can really say is if your not happy hit the exit poles or just don't go to the event.

I myself am showing no Fear or hatered for the event until it starts. I think time will tell about what's going on with the event. And now looking back, I really should have asked Penn if he has something to do with HHN, when I met him after his Show a thew weeks ago. I think one huge scarezones could work, but I'm praying it would veray on the types of characters (zombies, clowns, horror movies monsters and killers, etc)

There are so many things I disagree with in this post...

I don't necessarily disagree that before we had a big amazing event there was less,

It's not a matter of agree or disagreeing. It's a fact that the event use to have less. And it was still amazing with less (my favorite year only had 6 houses).

but it's like proposing to your girlfriend then cheating on her with her sister, ya just don't do it.

That's a horrible simile. Not only is the comparison wrong, it compares a haunt event to infidelity.

Consistency is key when it comes to events such as hhn and by consistency I mean numbers of houses,scare zones, and the quality of all things.

Wrong. If consistency was key, we would still only have one house, no scarezones, and a show based on Mad Max. Change is a necessity to any thing related to theme parks. It's not Universal's fault that people interpreted, "New Era of Darkness," as, "More of the same."

I whole heartedly agree that if the quality of the event is given for a crap magic act I will be very disappointed.

Depending on who you talk to, the quality has been on a general decline for years. Personally, i prefer a scarier event, and it hasn't been innovative or scary in years. I blame its popularity. You can't be truly scary when you're forced to design to a Congo line.

Penn and teller have no place at hhn, and if it's a great house I'll admit it but I have absolutely no faith what do ever in them being involved in hhn

But Brian Brushwood is fine? Fun fact: Penn and Teller performed at the first Fright Night in Hollywood in 1987. They, to a certain extent, are more Horror Nights the any thing we've ever seen in Orlando.

I'll be honest, I'm not disappointed that I'm missing this year. I'll freely admit, though, that that's because Universal can't give me the type of scares I want. I enjoy scaring more than attending.

However, the amount of incessant whining I am seeing about what may be coming is astounding. It's simple. If you don't like like what they're offering, DON'T F---ING GO! No one is making you attend.

• Like 9

I honestly think all this bitching and moaning is hilarious. Get over it people. The fact of the matter is HHN is a seasonal event, and yes I do love it dearly just as much as you guys, but I like Universal Studios Florida a lot more considering it's kinda sorta vital to HHN. USF is getting HUGE improvements, and if the event has to suffer for one year I really couldn't get a shit.

Here's the breakdown of what's going to happen.

1. Everyone's going to continue to bitch due to uncertainty

2. Some information will come out. Everyone will get excited then complain about it. (Just like every year)

3. Repeat step 2 multiple times. I like to call this phenomenon the Excitma-Bitch

4. A big reveal will happen. Everyone's excited about HHN. "This could be the worst HHN ever but I'm so excited."

5. Everyone goes to the event and the vast majority of us are STILL happy because at the end of the day there is an HHN with houses, and streets, and scares and booze.

People bitch about the event year, in my 5 years of following speculation I've never had a year where people didn't complain. People complained about how bad New Line would be, how shitty Bloody Mary would be, the absurdity of an exclusive "Movie Year", how crazy it is to get rid of all the old franchises, a lot of things last year and my all time favorite how there was too much blue at the event. Point of the matter is people will complain.

There is also a difference between being critical of something you've experienced and watching the trailer for a movie you're uncertain about but claiming it should win a Razzie based solely on that trailer. Come on guys, you're all going to go and atleast 75% of you will enjoy the event over all.

However, the amount of incessant whining I am seeing about what may be coming is astounding. It's simple. If you don't like like what they're offering, DON'T F---ING GO! No one is making you attend.

Can we be bestfriends?

And I'm really not trying to start a conflict but I wouldn't bitch if my parents were giving me a free vacation to Halloween Horror Nights, even if it was the "worst year". In a few years the days of free vacations will be long over and you'll be wishing your parents were paying the $7000 for your trip.

Edited by Jakemeister
  • Like 4

Agreed, there is a difference between criticizing the event and whining. I'm seeing a ton of whining.

And I'm really not trying to start a conflict but I wouldn't bitch if my parents were giving me a free vacation to Halloween Horror Nights, even if it was the "worst year". In a few years the days of free vacations will be long over and you'll be wishing your parents were paying the $7000 for your trip.

So true. I wish someone would pay for me to come down there every year. I wouldn't complain one bit. The truth is it costs me between 3 and 5 thousand dollars every year and I know for a fact other people spend more. We have a right to complain a bit if we don't like the event. If your Mommy and Daddy buy your ticket just be happy and enjoy it while it lasts.

The event will endure. We all will endure. Change always creates uncertainty... Which usually breeds negativity.

I admit it's hard to stay positive when you hear things you like are changing. But change is necessary... and really the only constant.

It's understandable why we may have the loss of houses and scare zones this year. There is a lot changing. But we cannot foresee how this will effect the event on the whole. I imagine bigger crowds with better houses. Roaming hoards (if it is true) has never really been achieved at Universal. But it's been done successfully at other parks so perhaps they will perfect it this year.

I agree with the philosophy of ambiance over scare but that is my personal preference. But I imagine if we have a lack in one area Universal will try to compensate in others. So who knows the scares may be better than ever this year. Change breeds new ideas. and new ways of doing things.

Take for example HHN X. When I went I really wasn't all that impressed. There were ball pits, rotating rooms, and other crazy things that were a real risk. But looking back, some of those things were amazing, innovative, and paved the way for things we have today. While I did not like Jack, He was the genesis for all the other icons I loved. Some of my favorite years were 6 houses or less. So while the crowds may be large, I'm still excited to see what transpires and I try not to be too concerned with "what ifs" until they happen.

Bottom line most of us will go and most of us will have a good time. There will be pros and cons to the event like always. Have patience and try and remain open minded...

To Universal:

Now can we have a solid update? The natives are restless :)

• Like 13

I really think that next year you'll see an absurd amount of money sunk into the event. Comcast can look at past records all they want and see how much this event has helped in 3rd quarter attendance slump all they want but until they experience it they won't really get it. Once they really grasp this cash cow I think they'll try and beef it up even more.

• Like 1

If they had to go with comics I'd much rather see Joe Rogan host the event. At least he'd have the help of magic mushrooms and bloody UFC fights to help him design a house. Who's next Carrot Top? Ok, ok so I'm getting away from my positive view but I think you guys and gals get what I'm trying to say. I don't like our horror event being hosted by comedians but I'm going to give it a shot anyway because I'm a sucker for HHN and spending the event with my friends.

Now that's some scary _ _ _ _ right there. :)

I'm going to remain positive about P&T. If done right it will be really good.

I don't necessarily disagree that before we had a big amazing event there was less, but it's like proposing to your girlfriend then cheating on her with her sister, ya just don't do it. Consistency is key when it comes to events such as hhn and by consistency I mean numbers of houses,scare zones, and the quality of all things. I whole heartedly agree that if the quality of the event is given for a crap magic act I will be very disappointed. Penn and teller have no place at hhn, and if it's a great house I'll admit it but I have absolutely no faith what do ever in them being involved in hhn

To read my response, just read Legacy' response. He took the words out of my mouth. Oh and by the way, consistancy is NOT the key, other wise we would still be having the same stale event we been having for the last five years. Time to shake things up a bit weather you like it or not. If you dont like what you hear then DON'T GO, as easy as that. But ya'll need to stop the bitching and moaning already.

The event will endure. We all will endure. Change always creates uncertainty... Which usually breeds negativity.

I admit it's hard to stay positive when you hear things you like are changing. But change is necessary... and really the only constant.

It's understandable why we may have the loss of houses and scare zones this year. There is a lot changing. But we cannot foresee how this will effect the event on the whole. I imagine bigger crowds with better houses. Roaming hoards (if it is true) has never really been achieved at Universal. But it's been done successfully at other parks so perhaps they will perfect it this year.

I agree with the philosophy of ambiance over scare but that is my personal preference. But I imagine if we have a lack in one area Universal will try to compensate in others. So who knows the scares may be better than ever this year. Change breeds new ideas. and new ways of doing things.

Take for example HHN X. When I went I really wasn't all that impressed. There were ball pits, rotating rooms, and other crazy things that were a real risk. But looking back, some of those things were amazing, innovative, and paved the way for things we have today. While I did not like Jack, He was the genesis for all the other icons I loved. Some of my favorite years were 6 houses or less. So while the crowds may be large, I'm still excited to see what transpires and I try not to be too concerned with "what ifs" until they happen.

Bottom line most of us will go and most of us will have a good time. There will be pros and cons to the event like always. Have patience and try and remain open minded...

To Universal:

Now can we have a solid update? The natives are restless :)

Great post here. Well done.

As for an update...who knows. Universal across the board seems to be playing everything close to the vest. So who knows how long we'll be waiting for that.

I really think that next year you'll see an absurd amount of money sunk into the event. Comcast can look at past records all they want and see how much this event has helped in 3rd quarter attendance slump all they want but until they experience it they won't really get it. Once they really grasp this cash cow I think they'll try and beef it up even more.

Yup. They're obviously passionate about the parks. Once they start experiencing the event and get a feel for it, they'll understand the budgets it needs and how much people love it.

I'm going to remain positive about P&T. If done right it will be really good.

The guys are smart, and understand this kind of stuff. To be honest, I have no idea where the negativity relating to them is coming from. I'm assuming it's from people that aren't familiar with them at all. Because as a fan, they have the ability to blow people away in a venue such as this, and it's something right up their alley.

• Like 1

There are so many things I disagree with in this post...

It's not a matter of agree or disagreeing. It's a fact that the event use to have less. And it was still amazing with less (my favorite year only had 6 houses).

That's a horrible simile. Not only is the comparison wrong, it compares a haunt event to infidelity.

Wrong. If consistency was key, we would still only have one house, no scarezones, and a show based on Mad Max. Change is a necessity to any thing related to theme parks. It's not Universal's fault that people interpreted, "New Era of Darkness," as, "More of the same."

Depending on who you talk to, the quality has been on a general decline for years. Personally, i prefer a scarier event, and it hasn't been innovative or scary in years. I blame its popularity. You can't be truly scary when you're forced to design to a Congo line.

But Brian Brushwood is fine? Fun fact: Penn and Teller performed at the first Fright Night in Hollywood in 1987. They, to a certain extent, are more Horror Nights the any thing we've ever seen in Orlando.

I'll be honest, I'm not disappointed that I'm missing this year. I'll freely admit, though, that that's because Universal can't give me the type of scares I want. I enjoy scaring more than attending.

Dude consistency is key with anything, you don't tell people 8 houses and give em 6 and Brian brushwood blows, all that magic show bull crap could take a hike for me personally. I never sai I liked one over the other, plus no one ever gave Brian brushwood a house. So what's up man, we all have our own opinions, a a fan of hhn I go almost every year even though I bitch about things I still want to see how it goes and if it is great why would I miss out? Because a few people on a message board talked shit, for all I know you're all wron and there is nothing right on this board at all. From the rumors it's disappointing and everyone has an opinion, for example you're not even going so why do you care? It's because you're a fan

Edited by FreeGrizzlyBearRides
  • Like 1

To be honest, I am seeing more whining and negativity then there was after seeing spiderman 3 with venom only being in it for 15min or so. We all need to just chill and wait for the event to come. So what if there are only 6 houses, 1 scarezone, no icon, or bad shows and advertisements. I don't think HHN is all about houses and there sizes and themes. I think it's all about how we get scared and overall having a fun time. But for the record, i will say this house problem wouldn't happen if the so called Harry Potter attraction stayed out on Universal Studios and the parade wasn't around.

I saw somebody here yesterday talking about "us the hardore fans" vs "casual". I would like to ask that person for how long they been going to the event, because i been attending since day 1 when it was fright night. So get off your high horses, and dont think that because we're not belly aching over this year's changes that makes us "casual fans". Good day to all.

Dude consistency is key with anything, you don't tell people 8 houses and give em 6 and Brian brushwood blows, all that magic show bull crap could take a hike for me personally. I never sai I liked one over the other, plus no one ever gave Brian brushwood a house.

I mean that's on you if you want an event almost similar to HHN 21 and HHN 20 for the next 10 years, but speaking for myself solely that's the farthest thing from what I want.

Also, to add onto my last post...Unviersal's coffers are overflowing right now. So much so that they rushed the SS44 project in order to decrease their taxable income, and are as someone said, "spending millions on the dime" in order to decrease their taxable profit even more. In this current wave of spending, I don't think you're going to see a cheap event. So don't worry about that park of this.

Edited by Parkscope

Actually at Fright Nights in 1991 there were also what we would call "scareactors" in various parts of the park scaring guests in what we might call "scarezones" today - even though they didn't call them that at the time. There was also an enormous amount of entertainment on the streets throughout the park, a magic show featuring the Pendragons and a live band, Paul Revere and the Raiders.

Fun fact: Penn and Teller performed at the first Fright Night in Hollywood in 1987. They, to a certain extent, are more Horror Nights the any thing we've ever seen in Orlando.

To my knowledge they never had Fright Nights in Hollywood. The first Halloween Horror Nights was in 1986 and only featured a haunted tram ride that was marred by tragedy. There was no Event in 1987 in Hollywood. Penn & Teller performed at Halloween Horror Nights in Hollywood in 1992 which was the first year the Event came back after what happened in 1986.

• Like 2