HHN 22 Speculation

There is a rumor going around about 1 stationary scare zone and the rest roaming. While the roaming things is possibly valid... I havn't seen anything to back this up.

Hope it's not true. While I'm much more of a "Put most of the effort into the houses" kind of guy, the streets add so much to the atmosphere.

• Like 1

this year's scarezones are going to suck so bad.... I mean, they might as well just stop doing scarezones now, no one really cares and they could put that money into making better houses,

i think everyone cares about the sz's....as we all agree the houses are more important, not having sz's is jus unacceptable

I hope they do good sz.. i go with my gf and she doesn't like houses ha but loves the sz's and it will be hard to convince her to go more than once if there is little or no zones... our first year was hhn xx and we loved it.. the sz were v.good that year spent most of our time in them .. only done 3 houses :( but last year we were disappointed by the sz and if this year will be just as bad then i think i could be missing out on future hhn's..

i think everyone cares about the sz's....as we all agree the houses are more important, not having sz's is jus unacceptable

I hope they do good sz.. i go with my gf and she doesn't like houses ha but loves the sz's and it will be hard to convince her to go more than once if there is little or no zones... our first year was hhn xx and we loved it.. the sz were v.good that year spent most of our time in them .. only done 3 houses :( but last year we were disappointed by the sz and if this year will be just as bad then i think i could be missing out on future hhn's..

the reason i said that is because this year is looking to be just like 2007, they had one big scarezone, and a bunch of other roaming ones around, and that year scarezone wise sucked, but most people didn't seem to mind,

I love the houses but I like the scarezones a little more because you get to spend more time in the zones and you can stop and look at the props and the actors, in the house you go in and after a couple of minutes you go out, your experience in the house is a couple of minutes each time,

I loved 2010 because it had some of the most amazing scarezones, the icons were just really great,

last year they were disappointing, I was hoping since last year they were not great, that this year they would be better, but it seems is going to be like 2007, so That's why I'm saying, if the zones are going to be lacking they might as well either do an Icon Show like they did for Jack in 2007 and put more money in the houses and forget about the zones, it looks like this year is being problematic, and like I said, a few of us like the scarezones, but I think the popular opinion is the houses is what matters, while the scarezones dont really matter

• Like 2

the reason i said that is because this year is looking to be just like 2007, they had one big scarezone, and a bunch of other roaming ones around, and that year scarezone wise sucked, but most people didn't seem to mind,

I love the houses but I like the scarezones a little more because you get to spend more time in the zones and you can stop and look at the props and the actors, in the house you go in and after a couple of minutes you go out, your experience in the house is a couple of minutes each time,

I loved 2010 because it had some of the most amazing scarezones, the icons were just really great,

last year they were disappointing, I was hoping since last year they were not great, that this year they would be better, but it seems is going to be like 2007, so That's why I'm saying, if the zones are going to be lacking they might as well either do an Icon Show like they did for Jack in 2007 and put more money in the houses and forget about the zones, it looks like this year is being problematic, and like I said, a few of us like the scarezones, but I think the popular opinion is the houses is what matters, while the scarezones dont really matter

I think HHN actually got a lot of negative feedback about the poor quality of their streets after 2007. I went four times that year, each with a different friend group (most were not hardcore fans) and every single one of them commented on how sub-par the streets were. Universal doesn't ignore the exit polls they ask you to take -- if something is universally seen as poor, they're going to try and find a reasonable way to fix it for next year. Notice the huge change in street quality seen the following year? Scarezones DO matter to most of us, and to the casual guest as well.

• Like 1

this year's scarezones are going to suck so bad.... I mean, they might as well just stop doing scarezones now, no one really cares and they could put that money into making better houses,

How would you know, these are all RUMOURS and SPECULATION you need to wait until the official press release from Universal to find out for sure. Even then don't knock it until you try it, we know very little about what the event is going to be like, if you were a true HHN fan something there wouldn't "suck."

• Like 5

I think HHN actually got a lot of negative feedback about the poor quality of their streets after 2007. I went four times that year, each with a different friend group (most were not hardcore fans) and every single one of them commented on how sub-par the streets were. Universal doesn't ignore the exit polls they ask you to take -- if something is universally seen as poor, they're going to try and find a reasonable way to fix it for next year. Notice the huge change in street quality seen the following year? Scarezones DO matter to most of us, and to the casual guest as well.

that is true, but the zones last year were not as good as 2010, the concepts were good but some of them were lacking, they were lacking props and even space, (canyon was way too small) I am pretty sure they had their reasons, we got amazing zones in 2008 and 2010, some of the zones in 2009 were not as great either, I mean I get it, people come to HHN for the houses, I know that, but the zones to me are just as important, so it really sucks when they are not as good as other years, like 2010, those were amazing,

I know a lot of people love the zones but sometimes it feels like they are taken for granted, I know the houses is what really matters but at least to me Zones add so much to the event, so it sucks when they are lacking props or stuff

How would you know, these are all RUMOURS and SPECULATION you need to wait until the official press release from Universal to find out for sure. Even then don't knock it until you try it, we know very little about what the event is going to be like, if you were a true HHN fan something there wouldn't "suck."

"True HHN fan" so I should accept everything and never question anything? if that was the case my friend they wouldn't do Exit polls every year. But maybe you are right maybe no one should ever criticize the event, ever, maybe this Forum shouldn't exist in that matter, why voice our opinions if they are "Wrong" ?

the reason I say they might suck is because of all the problems there might be with the Parade and the rumors about roaming streets, it is a fact that the zones in 2007 were not good,

I mean, I would love to be wrong, I might be a little negative a pessimistic, but with all this chaos it is hard to be optimistic, we don't even know the buildings the houses are going in, we don't know anything, the park has two constructions going on and a Parade that takes the space, like I said, I would Love nothing more than to be wrong, and that the zones were good, but it is hard to think that way with such an odd year,

the concepts might be good, I hope they are, you don't understand I am one of those that loves scarezones more than houses sometimes, I don't want them to suck, but they might, the last thing I Want is for them to suck, but I Wouldn't be surprised if they do, just like I wish we got a two park year but we didn't and I wasn't surprised we didn't, we might never see HHN in both parks ever again, I still hope to be wrong, and I hope we get awesome zones, but is hard to be positive with all this going on,

Edited by black mask
  • Like 3

that is true, but the zones last year were not as good as 2010, the concepts were good but some of them were lacking, they were lacking props and even space, (canyon was way too small) I am pretty sure they had their reasons, we got amazing zones in 2008 and 2010, some of the zones in 2009 were not as great either, I mean I get it, people come to HHN for the houses, I know that, but the zones to me are just as important, so it really sucks when they are not as good as other years, like 2010, those were amazing,

I know a lot of people love the zones but sometimes it feels like they are taken for granted, I know the houses is what really matters but at least to me Zones add so much to the event, so it sucks when they are lacking props or stuff

"True HHN fan" so I should accept everything and never question anything? if that was the case my friend they wouldn't do Exit polls every year. But maybe you are right maybe no one should ever criticize the event, ever, maybe this Forum shouldn't exist in that matter, why voice our opinions if they are "Wrong" ?

the reason I say they might suck is because of all the problems there might be with the Parade and the rumors about roaming streets, it is a fact that the zones in 2007 were not good,

I mean, I would love to be wrong, I might be a little negative a pessimistic, but with all this chaos it is hard to be optimistic, we don't even know the buildings the houses are going in, we don't know anything, the park has two constructions going on and a Parade that takes the space, like I said, I would Love nothing more than to be wrong, and that the zones were good, but it is hard to think that way with such an odd year,

the concepts might be good, I hope they are, you don't understand I am one of those that loves scarezones more than houses sometimes, I don't want them to suck, but they might, the last thing I Want is for them to suck, but I Wouldn't be surprised if they do, just like I wish we got a two park year but we didn't and I wasn't surprised we didn't, we might never see HHN in both parks ever again, I still hope to be wrong, and I hope we get awesome zones, but is hard to be positive with all this going on,

I think you are the unsung hero/genius of this forum. Youre not bashing the importance of szs just voicing your opinion in a forum meant for opinions.I dont get why people cant just respectably disagree and voice their opinions and get off not consatly critize your opinion.If you want to be negative or argue start a blog on your own site or make a new forum :)

• Like 1

I guess I just like the zones so much, that when they don't put as much effort for me it makes me a little upset, not trying to sound so negative, I just hope the whole event works and that we get good houses and good zones

I'm also thinking, I haven't criticize the actors either, my complains are the lack of props and lack of attention that scarezones get sometimes, I know the actors always do a really hard job to make us entertained, just want to point that out too.

Edited by black mask
  • Like 1

I guess I just like the zones so much, that when they don't put as much effort for me it makes me a little upset, not trying to sound so negative, I just hope the whole event works and that we get good houses and good zones

I'm also thinking, I haven't criticize the actors either, my complains are the lack of props and lack of attention that scarezones get sometimes, I know the actors always do a really hard job to make us entertained, just want to point that out too.

Personally, I just think it's a little premature to unilaterally declare that this year's scare zones will suck, especially when we've gotten zero word about what they're going to be. Heck, we don't even officially know what the houses will be, or how many there will be. The best we have are educated guesses based on information that's already a couple weeks old.

If we've learned anything so far from this year, it's that sweeping changes can and do happen with little or no notice. Who knows what the final form of the event will be. I understand that we're all passionate about this event. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here. :) And I'm not super excited about some of the proposed house concepts myself. But until we're in the park experiencing HHN, we really won't know how good or bad it is. I think we really all just need to have a bit more patience. Hopefully official word will start coming out soon.

• Like 1

What boogeyman13 said is right. It's still fairly early to say that this year is going to suck weather it be the houses, the SZ's, or the entire event itself. It would be a fair assumption to say that most everybody that attends this years HHN will walk out with a big smile and say wow I was wrong... :)

Edited by HORRORLANDO
  • Like 1

I suppose I get it. Some of the two-world clues we've been given for the houses this year haven't been all that intriguing. And there's a lot of uncertainty with what's going on with the streets. I understand, because a few years back I had some similar thoughts of my own. After 2007, I predicted that HHN would go downhill in the years to come. Universal clearly didn't put a lot of effort into the streets that year, and let's face it -- there wasn't much original content to be found in the Carnival of Carnage. I said it was laziness. I based this assumption off a mediocre 2006 and a partial let-down, partial success in 2007. You know what happened the next year? Universal put an incredible amount of effort into the scarezones. Into originality. Into everything. No other HHN for me has ever even come close.

My point? This topic is absolutely ridiculous. We're looking at vague house clues, projecting our preemptive dissatisfaction onto the streets (which we still know nothing about), and then assuming that the result -- which exists only in our imaginations, mind you -- will create a downward, spiraling trend that eventually results in crappy scarezones on a yearly basis.

black mask -- I respect your opinion, and you're absolutely right -- the forum's not only for blind fanboyism, but for honest critiques as well. And you should absolutely call Universal an asshole where warranted (I certainly have) XD. All I ask is that everyone relax a bit on the "sky is falling" posts. October is still 3 months away.

The thing is, there are good years and bad years, for houses and zones. Personally, I liked the zones last year. 2008 and 2010 were better, yes, but I didn't see any big problems with them. Even if this year's don't pan out, I wouldn't worry. Universal likes making money, sure. But you know what helps with that? Reputation. And that tends to crumble when you neglect a major part of your event. In the grand scheme of things, the event is going to be absolutely fine.

So let's chill, everyone. :)

Edited by Blizzrock13
  • Like 1

I understand, you are right

I know we know nothing about the themes, that's true, but we know there is a parade going on, we know construction is going on as well, plus you add the rumors of Roaming Zones, and that's why I Said, this year, the scarezones might suck, has nothing to do with the theme. If they dont have space to put props for the zones, or if they do roaming zones, roaming zones are not the best, so yeah you are right, no reason to panic, yet. But I'm just afraid from the speculation we have and the space problems this year has, I mean, no matter the concept of the zones, the lack of props might hurt them, that's what I Was trying to get at, what is the cause of worry,

Edited by black mask
  • Like 1

Has the idea of movable large scarezone props entered anybody's thoughts?

It's been done before. A zone can remain virtually prop free during the day while the parade is going on, and during the hour and a half that the park is closed they have more than enough time to wheel out and set up the props.

Just a thought.

Off the topic of SZs for a moment, I'm really beginning to question the rumored Silent Hill house. IP houses have to be arranged months in advance--it's the nature of contract law. Not saying the house agreements are as long as the Uni/Marvel contract, but I'm sure they are more than a handshake. That's how The Thing was announced so early last year, and why TWD was rumored so early this year.

If I understand the timeline, the original plan was an American Werewolf in London house and a Mayan house in SS 44. Those were scrapped, but then within days we had a rumor of a Silent Hill house. I just can't believe Uni reached out to the parent company and signed a deal like this in less than a week. A Silent Hill "inspired" house (cough, "rip off", cough)? Sure. But I'm just not buying creative would go to the trouble of buying rights when they are scrambling to come up with a concept--it would be so much easier to stick with an original concept..

Just putting my two cents into the IP vs original discussion, I must say I enjoy a mixture of both.

Thank you, Aaron. Thank you. lol

If you've ever tried your hand at the arts, then you understand how very difficult it is to reinvent the wheel once, let alone multiple times. Regardless of whether or not you're aware, someone somewhere has more than likely beat you to an idea. It's just a matter of time, place, and press.

Anyway, if we are "going Hollywood" this year, then maybe we'll slowly start getting direct reveals for IP houses on the actual HHN website, like Hollywood did last year with their houses?

I'm just not buying creative would go to the trouble of buying rights when they are scrambling to come up with a concept--it would be so much easier to stick with an original concept..

I think A&D could probably outfit two or more events, in their entirety, with all the shelved concepts they have. Would it be cohesive though? I don't know. Maybe buying rights is the concept this year, and the decision was made by an authority greater than Creative.

Many people love movie houses and many don't, many people prefer original houses and many don't. They simply can't please everybody... therefore I now predict that with this damned if you do, damned if you don't situation that this year the Event will be called:

HHN CATCH-22

• Like 14

Off the topic of SZs for a moment, I'm really beginning to question the rumored Silent Hill house. IP houses have to be arranged months in advance--it's the nature of contract law. Not saying the house agreements are as long as the Uni/Marvel contract, but I'm sure they are more than a handshake. That's how The Thing was announced so early last year, and why TWD was rumored so early this year.

If I understand the timeline, the original plan was an American Werewolf in London house and a Mayan house in SS 44. Those were scrapped, but then within days we had a rumor of a Silent Hill house. I just can't believe Uni reached out to the parent company and signed a deal like this in less than a week. A Silent Hill "inspired" house (cough, "rip off", cough)? Sure. But I'm just not buying creative would go to the trouble of buying rights when they are scrambling to come up with a concept--it would be so much easier to stick with an original concept..

The idea of how it could have happened is simple. Universal reached out whichever owners of the Silent Hill rights they're using (Video Game, Movie or both). They also reached out the American Werewolf. Negotiations likely occured at the same time. Negotiation process took longer for Silent Hill than for American Werewolf. They get the approval for Werewolf and design. A couple of months later, they get the approval for Silent Hill and begin the design. Because of the popularity of the franchise, they are willing to spend time negotiating for this year's event which explains the delay. Separate issue pops up, and negates American Werewolf. Separate issue pops up and elimiates the SS44 house (whatever it was). A simple concept is developed likely using the layout of American Werewolf, not replace American Werewolf but SS 44 (that way they don't have to rebuild that location from nothing). They start from scratch and a new house is developed for a new location and a new IP (Silent Hill) to "replace" American Werewolf.

It's really not that difficult.

I honestly don't know what to believe about this years HHN...will there be a 7th house that we MAY not know about, when will the website be updated, will the parade keep moving during HHN nights, will there be normal scarezones, and are these house clues even true? This feels like a bunch of missions then Riddler would give someone in Arkham City, but I believe that may be the fun of it. Ether way, I have a good amount of hope for the event, no matter what.

• Like 1

I honestly don't know what to believe about this years HHN...will there be a 7th house that we MAY not know about, when will the website be updated, will the parade keep moving during HHN nights, will there be normal scarezones, and are these house clues even true?

We don't have a permit, but clues point to yes.

Updated gradually like it has been the last few years? Highly unlikely based on evidence and rumors. My suggestion is to stop expecting anything from the website until the full reveal in August.

Probably, because of its popularity. It's something that will help bring people in during the day throughout October.

No telling. Rumors point to a single traditional zone and roaming hordes. But we NEVER know anything about Scarezones until the auditions anyway.

At least two are.

It's a MOVIE theme park so a movie-centric HHN makes sense. And if you look at the movies to come out this summer, they are all sequels (too many to name), prequels (Prometheus...sorta), and Remakes/Reboots (Total Recall, Spider-Man).

Everybody likes to talk about video game concepts at HHN, look at all the big games: Halo 4, Call of Duty #15ish, Madden Football #25ish, Bioshock 3, etc. Plus all the remake/HD collections and Halo Anniversary.

Orginality can be hit (Ted) or miss (Drive)...but sequels sell. Prequels sell. Remakes sell.

Top 10 opening weekends for movies All Time (I know, inflation and stuff...but I'm talkign current trends anyway):

1. Avengers - Sorta Sequel

2. Harry Potter 7 Part 2 - Sequel

3. The Dark Night - Sequel

4. The Hunger Games - Book Adaptation

5. Spider-Man 3 - Sequel

6. Twilight New Moon - Sequel

7. Twilight Breaking Dawn part 1 - Sequel

8. Pirates of the Caribbean DMC - Sequel

9. Iron Man 2 - Sequel

10. Harry Potter 7 Part 1 - Sequel

Universal is a business...and "safe" makes the stockholders and execs feel VERY good. IPs will probably become more and more common. And while it's been shot down by A&D in the past, I think sequels to previous age of darkness houses and old Icons returning is all but set. Not necessarily this year, but I think it's a given. These are the movies everybody goes to see...and as a movie corporation, I would think that looking at what sells would be in their best interest. People like, and will spend more money, on the familiar stuff they already know they like.