HHN 22 Speculation

Just putting my two cents into the IP vs original discussion, I must say I enjoy a mixture of both. As previously said nothing is truly original anymore though. If we we're to get 8 houses (obviously not this year but in future years) I'd like to see an absolute maximum of 4 IP houses. That leaves 4 original houses. It's a good balance for me. I like the original ideas because they're original or somewhat original at least but I like IP houses because it's the movies or tv show coming to life. Universal is a movie company so it only makes sense to do houses based on their movies. The whole ride the movies tagline sticks out for me. I like to experience what I've seen on the screen. I like to immerse myself into the movie so to speak. You can't immerse yourself when it's an original idea in the same way you can with an IP house unless your like us and come on here to find out every little detail about the house. I like to understand the story behind the house that I'm in which is obviously easier to do if you've seen the movie.

IMHO people should not pigeon hole either one, there have been good and bad on both sides, and A&D does many "nods" in their "original houses" as well. Even ones that are indeed completely original sometimes pay a respect to other similar scenes, and or movies, and or ideas. Both IP houses and originals are ranked in my top houses, and their are also some E.P.I.C. fails from both as well, ( shout out to Bloody Mary and Doomsday :P ) I have also come to appreciate not just the house itself,... but sometimes when the house has BOMBED,... I still appreciate the story they are trying to tell. There is a bit of positive to be found in everything, even in sucktastic houses. Everyone has their preferences....some like originality- a developed story that they may not have heard before with new sights sounds smells etc. Some prefer to experience something that they saw, and that was fantasticised, and it sticks in their memory so hard and for so long that being immersed in that environment is a thrill as well- getting to experience an amazing idea that already existed. Most of us find a nice balance of appreciation for both. Universal has long attracted horror fans because of their appreciation for both, classic horror is classic now, but at the time of reveal was new and innovative, and some classic horror, was pulled and brought to life from literature, to be completely for or against one side or another is a little absurd for true horror fans. If you are relatively new to the event, just remember that every idea has great potential, and for those who have been going religiously, you already know that. Im not trying to belittle concerns or anything like that because anyone who loves the event will always be concerned that it will never suffer.

Edited by Mr.Grim
  • Like 1

you're talking about Leave it to cleaver and The Spawning,

the Spawning was directly influenced by C.H.U.D, so that is not an original house, and leave it to cleaver was the funny house, (which I think is one of the worst houses I've been to) I think the only original house was Leave it, and that's not saying much.

Actually, LITC got it's inspiration from the movie "Pieces".

As for my views on IP vs. Original, as long as the houses are good it doesn't matter.

• Like 5

IMHO people should not pigeon hole either one, there have been good and bad on both sides, and A&D does many "nods" in their "original houses" as well. Even ones that are indeed completely original sometimes pay a respect to other similar scenes, and or movies, and or ideas. Both IP houses and originals are ranked in my top houses, and their are also some E.P.I.C. fails from both as well, ( shout out to Bloody Mary and Doomsday :P ) I have also come to appreciate not just the house itself,... but sometimes when the house has BOMBED,... I still appreciate the story they are trying to tell. There is a bit of positive to be found in everything, even in sucktastic houses. Everyone has their preferences....some like originality- a developed story that they may not have heard before with new sights sounds smells etc. Some prefer to experience something that they saw, and that was fantasticised, and it sticks in their memory so hard and for so long that being immersed in that environment is a thrill as well- getting to experience an amazing idea that already existed. Most of us find a nice balance of appreciation for both. Universal has long attracted horror fans because of their appreciation for both, classic horror is classic now, but at the time of reveal was new and innovative, and some classic horror, was pulled and brought to life from literature, to be completely for or against one side or another is a little absurd for true horror fans. If you are relatively new to the event, just remember that every idea has great potential, and for those who have been going religiously, you already know that. Im not trying to belittle concerns or anything like that because anyone who loves the event will always be concerned that it will never suffer.

completely agree, and, you are right about one thing, I do appreciate the story and some things about each house, even if the house sucked, so yeah, that is right,

I just don't get the hate for movie houses, seems like everyone hates them, people rather not have them, while they have made some really amazing movie houses, they are usually good or okay, the only really bad movie house was Doomsday, but then again the movie was horrible and not even horror,

Cirque du Freak was really awful too as a movie, and the zone was not great, but it was not a house, so I don't think it counts, (i really hated the music for that zone)

As for my views on IP vs. Original, as long as the houses are good it doesn't matter.

so 2009 was fully a IP year, interesting

Edited by black mask

Im hoping that we dont see any rehashed bat costumes or masks for the gargoyle house lol. Maybe, the set will be a cool little spanish or european town where the residents are being terrorized and abducted by the gargoyles. Muahahahahaha!!!

Im hoping that we dont see any rehashed bat costumes or masks for the gargoyle house lol. Maybe, the set will be a cool little spanish or european town where the residents are being terrorized and abducted by the gargoyles. Muahahahahaha!!!

that's a good point, we might see the bats from Grown evil again, that's interesting, we might see the weeping angel statues again too

I looked up Pieces, but, other than...um, people being mutilated, it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with LITC. Is it referencing a scene that it doesn't mention on Wikipedia?

I looked up Pieces, but, other than...um, people being mutilated, it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with LITC. Is it referencing a scene that it doesn't mention on Wikipedia?

I saw very little connection between that film and LITC, if anything the house resembled the 1989 Vestron film Parents. But none other than J. Michael Roddy said openly that Pieces was an inspiration for it.

I saw very little connection between that film and LITC, if anything the house resembled the 1989 Vestron film Parents. But none other than J. Michael Roddy said openly that Pieces was an inspiration for it.

I agree about Parents (a film I admittedly saw specifically because I heard it was similar to LITC); the other film I can say reminds me most of it is Hotel Hell.

I just looked it up and I guess Leave it was the only original house, and it was the least favorite house that year,

I just looked it up and I guess Leave it was the only original house, and it was the least favorite house that year,

i believe that award belongs to The Spawning rather than LITC based on the plethora of people on various forums and regular GP fans as well saying so. :P

Edited by foREVer56
  • Like 1

While I agree that movie houses aren't something to completely flip out over, I have to mention that while some houses may "borrow" or "rip off" themes, scenes or characters from assorted movies, I don't think that makes them "movie houses". Everything has an inspiration. Just because you can trace it back to its source material doesn't mean the end product didn't add a lot of its own originality into the mix.

Body Collectors, as everyone knows, was based off a Buffy the Vampire episode. But it was incorporated into the Terra Cruentus storyline, and thus, we had a house whose background was entirely separate from the source material. Never having watched much Buffy myself, I'd still wager that most of the sets you saw in both the 2005 version and its 2008 sequel were unique from the show. So sure, a lot of houses borrow. But that's a lot different than say, Doomsday. Or Saw. Where everything -- the characters, the sets, the background, is all made to back up a movie.

Not that movie houses are necessarily bad. A lot of my all time favorites are movie houses. Rather, I think they're simply less interesting (especially during this time of the year).

• Like 1

While I agree that movie houses aren't something to completely flip out over, I have to mention that while some houses may "borrow" or "rip off" themes, scenes or characters from assorted movies, I don't think that makes them "movie houses". Everything has an inspiration. Just because you can trace it back to its source material doesn't mean the end product didn't add a lot of its own originality into the mix.

Body Collectors, as everyone knows, was based off a Buffy the Vampire episode. But it was incorporated into the Terra Cruentus storyline, and thus, we had a house whose background was entirely separate from the source material. Never having watched much Buffy myself, I'd still wager that most of the sets you saw in both the 2005 version and its 2008 sequel were unique from the show. So sure, a lot of houses borrow. But that's a lot different than say, Doomsday. Or Saw. Where everything -- the characters, the sets, the background, is all made to back up a movie.

Not that movie houses are necessarily bad. A lot of my all time favorites are movie houses. Rather, I think they're simply less interesting (especially during this time of the year).

I could not have put it better myself. I agree with every word you said and that is the point I was trying to make a few posts back. Half the time when someone says that house was based of this movie because of one room or scene it just makes smile. Most of the time for every similarity that is mentioned I could point out two or more differences. That hardly makes it a movie house. Now before I get accused of hating movie houses let me state clearly once and for all, that is not true. In fact my favourite house of all time, The Wolfman was a movie house. It's just that I and quite a few others like a mix of original and movie houses not all one or the other and that doesn't make us IP haters. I think my favourite ratio is 3 movie houses and 5 original but everyone's view on that will be different which is fine.

I would have to say doubtful if this year follows the trend of late. We really haven't had a opening scareremony since '07. In '08 they did have a press one.

However, with things being so volatile this year, it's hard to guess.

Will we even have an icon?

With all these IP's will we get a "So and So presents:" Like we had with the Crypt Keeper?

Will we get a catchy media character like "What's you're breaking Point?" or "Never Sleep again".

Or will we just have a lame poster montague with AC, TWD, anf P&T on it... It's hard to say.

• Like 1

Will we even have an icon?

With all these IP's will we get a "So and So presents:" Like we had with the Crypt Keeper?

Will we get a catchy media character like "What's you're breaking Point?" or "Never Sleep again".

Or will we just have a lame poster montague with AC, TWD, anf P&T on it... It's hard to say.

If what I've heard is correct, you've answered your own question.

• Like 2

And this means...what? We are getting an icon...or are we getting a year with no icon(like 2004) or like hollywoods were they just advertise the main houses.

This is a perfect example of people who know things not wanting to say what they know, for fear of losing possible sources. However, I will break down my comment in relation to Jeramy's comment to explain what I mean and answer a couple of your question.

I said; "If what I've heard is correct, you've answered your own question." This means that, while I may be wrong, I believe the answer to Jeramy's question is directly available in the same comment. Let's explore.

Jeramy asks:

"Will we even have an icon?" - This is the direct question that he, and everyone else, currently has. Wondering WHO the icon is presumes that we even will have an icon. We don't know that. However, my statement that answers his own question (this question, specifically), means that what follows includes the answer regarding if we will have an icon and how the event might be marketed this year.

Jeramy ponders:

With all these IP's will we get a "So and So presents:" Like we had with the Crypt Keeper? - This is option one, and does not include a traditional icon. While many consider the Cryptkeeper an "Icon," he wasn't in the traditional sense. He has an outside, pop-culture entity that was known and developed away from HHN. Regardless of the C-Keeper's "icon" status, this option is essentially "[X-Branded Recognizable Commodity] Presents: Halloween Horror Nights." It implies a lack of an original icon.

Will we get a catchy media character like "What's you're breaking Point?" or "Never Sleep again". - This is option two, and I feel that "Character" is a poor word choice, though I see his thought process. 2004's "Breaking Point" and 1997 "Frightmares/Never Sleep" both featured a individual (The Mental Patient and Eye-gore) who helped brand the year. However, neither were icons but simple marketing devices that tied into the slogan. Similarly, "Primal Scream" had the iconic image of the screaming face, but no one considered it an icon.

Or will we just have a lame poster montague with AC, TWD, anf P&T on it... - This is the last option, though it really isn't a firm option. It's a visual device that could tie into the other options while still affording the opportunity to have an "icon" (similar to Jack in 2007 and the Usher in 2009.) However, the way Jeramy worded this option (especially compared to the other two) shows he is not thinking about a possible icon with even this option.

So... "Will we even have an icon?" Look at the possible answers Jeramy provided, and what do you think I mean?

• Like 2

To be honest, I'd rather not have an icon than have the joke that was Lady Luck with no discernable effect over the entire event. Yes I know A&D made up tenous links at best for the charater on the website to all the houses, but let's be real, she was really weak.

The one scarezone thing I just read about on Rumors is dumb though. I don't get that.

Edited by Parkscope

To be honest, I'd rather not have an icon than have the joke that was Lady Luck with no discernable effect over the entire event. Yes I know A&D made up tenous links at best for the charater on the website to all the houses, but let's be real, she was really weak.

The one scarezone thing I just read about on Rumors is dumb though. I don't get that.

one scarezone thing? what thing? what are you talking about? what?

one scarezone thing? what thing? what are you talking about? what?

There is a rumor going around about 1 stationary scare zone and the rest roaming. While the roaming things is possibly valid... I havn't seen anything to back this up.