HHN 22 Speculation

Even Catacombs: Black Death Rising had sets that were identical to those from the Lionsgate film Catacombs.

Well, A&D recreated sections of the Parisian Catacombs themselves, so it's likely that's more of a "Art imitating life" scenario.

ive been trolling through the forums for past 2 weeks or so and im shocked at ll the insider knowledge people have, i thought mine was pretty good but this is just amazing...but on the note of sz's the major issue seems to be the parade and time to set up a sz, where would be a problem of starting 30min later? if i remeber correcly during HHN nights USF closes about 7 and HHn starts about 7:30. And personally i think 30 extra minutes of prep time would be HUGE and i dont think fans would be upset about it or even really realize thats its an hour delay instead of 30min. Also if corporate is afraid of losing revenue during that 30min is there a set rule/law that HHN has to close at 12? why not on the weekend (fridays, saturday) stay open till 1 or even 2?

And as far as houses i dont blame new management for the lack of the extra house, it was SUPPOSED to have 8, something happened (we will probably never no the real reason of why) and its rumored that there will still be an 8th house, either a dual run, or another SS....but my thought is why cant they level the ground that was ss44 and build an outdoor maze? would that require a permant to put up the baracades to build the maze? that to me would be a very simple fix to giving us a 8th house if they see the upset about through these forums (we do al know they watch these forums to see what the die hard fans want and probably get a good amount of ideas from the forums)

these are just my thoughts and im far from in as much know as a lot of your are.

Yes, a permit would be required for an outdoor haunt. It would also be exceedingly expensive to clear, relay the necessary foundation, and install the infrastructure for any temp location in the center of the park. So, an outdoor haunt or sprung won't happen there.

Changing times introduces a whole new can of worms, because of the requirement to still prepare for the next day of theme park operations. They actually need more time after the events ends each night then to prep for it between park close and event open. Also, the "two-hours" between park close and event opening is designed to keep "Stay and Screams" appealing. Make it too long of a break, and you risk turning people off to it.

Now, the idea that, "They can bring in scarezones," doesn't work in the front of the park. Entertainment only gets about 30 minutes to bring stuff in; about 45 in the back of the park. They can't begin working until guests are cleared, and gates actually open at 6:30 (and that's not including AP nights...).

Edited by Legacy

if i remeber correcly during HHN nights USF closes about 7 and HHn starts about 7:30...... is there a set rule/law that HHN has to close at 12? why not on the weekend (fridays, saturday) stay open till 1 or even 2?

USF closes at 5 on event nights. Stay and Scream let out at 5:45, gates normally open around 6. SS22 and normally Sprung 1 and B79 open at 5:45, JAWS and 23B open at 6, the rest at 6:30 i believe. every fri/sat besides opening weekend is open until 2, Wednesdays are open to 1. SZ's are prepped between 5 and 6 normally, which usually has little to be done set wise. mostly lighting,fog and sound to be configured. Then the SA's come out at 6.

Sets won't be an issue in many places for SZ's, but for NY, Hlyd and Pro Cen., i think they should put some lighting,fog and sound, a few props scattered that can be placed after the parade(they could start 30 min before the park closes even if they really had to, unless there's a problem preventing them from doing so) and SZ's themed to one topic. You still have CP, IFB, SA, KZ, San Fran for elaborate SZ's. There shouldn't be a problem with SZ's if they do them in those 5 areas and hordes in the other 3.

Well, A&D recreated sections of the Parisian Catacombs themselves, so it's likely that's more of a "Art imitating life" scenario.

Yes, a permit would be required for an outdoor haunt. It would also be exceedingly expensive to clear, relay the necessary foundation, and install the infrastructure for any temp location in the center of the park. So, an outdoor haunt or sprung won't happen there.

Changing times introduces a whole new can of worms, because of the requirement to still prepare for the next day of theme park operations. They actually need more time after the events ends each night then to prep for it between park close and event open. Also, the "two-hours" between park close and event opening is designed to keep "Stay and Screams" appealing. Make it too long of a break, and you risk turning people off to it.

Now, the idea that, "They can bring in scarezones," doesn't work in the front of the park. Entertainment only gets about 30 minutes to bring stuff in; about 45 in the back of the park. They can't begin working until guests are cleared, and gates actually open at 6:30 (and that's not including AP nights...).

i have an AP and last year was in the park before and stayed through till HHN opening but deffintly dont remeber it being 2 hrs..thought it was 30min-to an hour....but even that with it being already 2hrs whats an extra 30min to give more prep time to everyone? and i see why the extending the hrs later to compiate wouldnt be an option, and my arugement more to push the 30min later opening would with there being 7 houses you dont need as much time to do everything in one night with the lack of a house. also yes they would be paying the "prep people" an extra 30 min but they would be paying all scare actors and house security and vendors 30 min less....so with from what i read the new company is a money hungry company this would be a something they would like, yes we as a customer is "losing time" but personally if i only lost 30min for them to spend that time preparing everything better thats a sacrafice im willing to make happily

I have nothing against them using IP. I don't know where you got the idea we're completely against it! We're only against it being entirely IP. Even 2009, which was entirely movie-based, had two houses that were original stories to spice things up. I'd be fine with a repeat of that, personally.

• Like 2

i have an AP and last year was in the park before and stayed through till HHN opening but deffintly dont remeber it being 2 hrs..thought it was 30min-to an hour....but even that with it being already 2hrs whats an extra 30min to give more prep time to everyone? and i see why the extending the hrs later to compiate wouldnt be an option, and my arugement more to push the 30min later opening would with there being 7 houses you dont need as much time to do everything in one night with the lack of a house. also yes they would be paying the "prep people" an extra 30 min but they would be paying all scare actors and house security and vendors 30 min less....so with from what i read the new company is a money hungry company this would be a something they would like, yes we as a customer is "losing time" but personally if i only lost 30min for them to spend that time preparing everything better thats a sacrafice im willing to make happily

When you stay through till opening, you're not free to roam. They hold you. The rest of the park is cleared by security (don't believe me? Trying walking to Fear Factor at 5:10). And it's not a money issue. The scareactors are there 60-90 minutes before the event starts; the "Prep people" (Tech entertainment) are there three hours prior and stay till the end of the night in case something breaks. It's not a money issue. It's a logistical issue.

They have time to bring out 1-2 large pieces a night, our several smaller, "unobtrusive" pieces. They don't have time. To extend thier time and still give time at the end of the night, you are actually proposing less time during the actually event. That's tens of thousands of dollars of drink sales during the most profitable time of the night.

When you stay through till opening, you're not free to roam. They hold you. The rest of the park is cleared by security (don't believe me? Trying walking to Fear Factor at 5:10). And it's not a money issue. The scareactors are there 60-90 minutes before the event starts; the "Prep people" (Tech entertainment) are there three hours prior and stay till the end of the night in case something breaks. It's not a money issue. It's a logistical issue.

They have time to bring out 1-2 large pieces a night, our several smaller, "unobtrusive" pieces. They don't have time. To extend thier time and still give time at the end of the night, you are actually proposing less time during the actually event. That's tens of thousands of dollars of drink sales during the most profitable time of the night.

o yea we were deffintly held (nice enough to give us a happy hour though :)) and yes by "prep people" i meant the techincall entertainment jus wasnt sure what their title was.....and they really will sell that much in alcohol in jus 30minutes? since that is the case than obviously my simple solution of better quality of jus opening 30 min later isnt going to work

o yea we were deffintly held (nice enough to give us a happy hour though :)) and yes by "prep people" i meant the techincall entertainment jus wasnt sure what their title was.....and they really will sell that much in alcohol in jus 30minutes? since that is the case than obviously my simple solution of better quality of jus opening 30 min later isnt going to work

In the first thirty minutes of the park being open, I would guesstimate that 5,000 are inside. If only 20% purchases a $10 drink during that time (a low percentages and an average between alcoholic souvenirs and non-alcoholic drinks), that's $10,000 in thirty minutes.

In the first thirty minutes of the park being open, I would guesstimate that 5,000 are inside. If only 20% purchases a $10 drink during that time (a low percentages and an average between alcoholic souvenirs and non-alcoholic drinks), that's $10,000 in thirty minutes.

this is why the forum is great, explained why my idea just doesnt work and didnt have to put a flame suit on lol

appreciate the explantion legacy

Ok just hear me out...

I got an ephipany in the chat room about the generic website we currently have and all the speculation about it. If you remember, we had a countdown in the President's room in the HR house and then BOOM. Maybe that was the clue for this year? I could be reading way too much into a coincidence. The 00:00 in the raised lettering of the generic website and the connection to the HR house gives some credit to the original rumored theme of End of the World for this year. I'm kinda suprised no one saw this before me, since I am definately not an in the know member.

What do you think about the coincidence? Intentional or irrevelant due to all the changes?

Ok just hear me out...

I got an ephipany in the chat room about the generic website we currently have and all the speculation about it. If you remember, we had a countdown in the President's room in the HR house and then BOOM. Maybe that was the clue for this year? I could be reading way too much into a coincidence. The 00:00 in the raised lettering of the generic website and the connection to the HR house gives some credit to the original rumored theme of End of the World for this year. I'm kinda suprised no one saw this before me, since I am definately not an in the know member.

What do you think about the coincidence? Intentional or irrevelant due to all the changes?

irrelevant. There was a Mayan house and for whatever reason it was scrapped. I don't see anything relating to end of the world at all this year. If anything, B&T will most likely mention it.

I would say hes even being conservative I would guess its more like 25 or 30%. Cheers all around mate.

Ok just hear me out...

I secretly still pray that it would happen lol. After the scrap of the Mayan house I would say that its a much slimmer chance now. It would have been a great 3rd parter to the last 2 years though. Fear, Luck, then Death or something similar. Hopefully after all the details come to light this year my friend will be more forthcoming with all the info that is swirling around in his little artsy head, and then Ill know what all the original plans were lol. He loves his job too much to spill beans, and I love HHN too much to keep my mouth shut and he knows it lmao.
  • Like 1

did i miss it somehwere? why did the mayan house get scrapped? was it supposed to be in ss44? because that would be an awesome house, human sacrafices, crazy gods, all around crazy people, and it wouldnt offend any one since there arent and descedants of the mayans since they jus dissapeared

did i miss it somehwere? why did the mayan house get scrapped? was it supposed to be in ss44? because that would be an awesome house, human sacrafices, crazy gods, all around crazy people, and it wouldnt offend any one since there arent and descedants of the mayans since they jus dissapeared

It has been speculated that 44 was indeed the Mayan house. They were probably going to attempt to put it in a new location(presumably SS33), but then the deal for SH came through, so they scrapped it completely as every other house was already underway being built and im sure the higher ups would much rather have an IP thats fairly well known over an orignal idea.

Im curious as to why we havent seen a permit for 33 or another location yet. Is it just becaue the permit takes a while to appear online but not neccessarily mean it hasnt already been submitted?

Edited by foREVer56
  • Like 1

I admit no permit is concerning me.

The building permits were reviewed again on 6-28 and 6/29 with no visible updates except that they were disapproved again. (which is normal until all necessary changes are made).

I even checked the other parcels jut to see if there we somehow sneaking it in under a different project... No such luck.

There is still the possibility of including some part on IOA (Grasping at straws as this year is breaking all the rules :) ).

Still searching and waiting semi-patiently.

ive been trolling through the forums for past 2 weeks or so and im shocked at ll the insider knowledge people have, i thought mine was pretty good but this is just amazing...but on the note of sz's the major issue seems to be the parade and time to set up a sz, where would be a problem of starting 30min later? if i remeber correcly during HHN nights USF closes about 7 and HHn starts about 7:30. And personally i think 30 extra minutes of prep time would be HUGE and i dont think fans would be upset about it or even really realize thats its an hour delay instead of 30min. Also if corporate is afraid of losing revenue during that 30min is there a set rule/law that HHN has to close at 12? why not on the weekend (fridays, saturday) stay open till 1 or even 2?

The event does close at 2am and Fridays and Saturdays. On other events night it sometimes closes at 1am.

Check website for operating hours.

I admit no permit is concerning me.

The building permits were reviewed again on 6-28 and 6/29 with no visible updates except that they were disapproved again. (which is normal until all necessary changes are made).

I even checked the other parcels jut to see if there we somehow sneaking it in under a different project... No such luck.

There is still the possibility of including some part on IOA (Grasping at straws as this year is breaking all the rules :) ).

Still searching and waiting semi-patiently.

Semi concerned myself, but I'm thinking patience is warranted.

If they are changing house designs, it would make sense that new blueprints need to be made. This will take some time and then the new permit will have to be pulled and added to the project.

Although, so far this year, common sense seems to have been thrown out the window. It is very hard to judge what decisions are being made due to all the construction and last minute changes.

Basically making our jobs of speculating on how things work that much harder.

• Like 4

With all the pissing and moaning of late about the use of IP this year, I think It is necessarily to remind all of us now that in the 21 years of HHN at Orlando there have actually only been three years where there have not been any houses either directly adapted from a film or television series or which contained scenes directly adapted from films.

Those years were 1991, 2005 and 2010.

Furthermore in all three of those years the Event was nevertheless filled with IP.

In 1991, the "icons" or presenting characters if you will, were the Classic Universal Monsters who appeared at the event along with the Munsters! Even Chucky made a cameo as Eddie Munster's doll. The Graveyard Revue feature IP characters from Universal films such as Psycho and The Blues Brothers along with Warner Brothers properties like Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters. And in Hollywood Blvd. there was a show directly adapted from the Warner Brothers film Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome.

In 2005 many of the "original" houses were "inspired" by IP as "homages" or "rip-offs" depending on your point of view. Demon Cantina was clearly inspired by the Dimension film From Dusk Till Dawn. The Body Collectors were themselves taken right out of the then UPN television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "Hush". And someone who very strongly resembled the then Dimension films character Michael Myers from the Halloween franchise appeared in the house, Where Evil Hides.

In 2010 the house Legendary Truth: The Wyandot Estate was clearly inspired by the 20th Century Fox film The Legend of Hell House, all they did was change the name from Emeric Belasco to Malcolm Wyandot and move the location from England to Ohio. Furthermore the actual haunted house Richard Matheson based Hell House on is located in Ohio! Zombiegeddon was just a mash-up of Columbia's Zombieland and Lionsgate's Fido. Hades: Gates of Ruin was so much a knock off of Warner Brothers' Clash of the Titans that it wasn't funny, not only did they have the exact scenes of Medusa's lair from the film and a direct Harryhausen cyclops make-up, but the actually used the very font from the movie for the house! Even Catacombs: Black Death Rising had sets that were identical to those from the Lionsgate film Catacombs.

And of course every year of HHN in Orlando since 1992 has featured the show Bill and Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure which always has to feature IP by definition.

Thus in fact HHN in Orlando has always been full of IP one way or another.

this is something I've been saying for years now, Universal is a Movie-theme park. "Ride the movies" I've said it before, original houses are really great, they always make all of us happy, but not only is this a movie studio park, but you get the chance to walk through the set of a horror movie, kinda, I know people prefer original and love original houses, but there will always be movie houses, always, besides, I don't know why movie houses are so hated, they usually deliver, I mean, I've never completely hated a movie house, some of them have been disappointing, but so have original houses, (Bloody Mary anyone? worst HHN for me, original idea)

I do feel a little fear for scarezones more than anything, I know most people don't really care for them, but they are really important for me, I am more afraid of that, than the houses,

It has been speculated that 44 was indeed the Mayan house. They were probably going to attempt to put it in a new location(presumably SS33), but then the deal for SH came through, so they scrapped it completely as every other house was already underway being built and im sure the higher ups would much rather have an IP thats fairly well known over an orignal idea.

Im curious as to why we havent seen a permit for 33 or another location yet. Is it just becaue the permit takes a while to appear online but not neccessarily mean it hasnt already been submitted?

if Silent Hill replaced the Mayan house then I am completely happy with that, a mayan house sounded really really interesting, it could have been great, but, Silent Hill is much more important,

• Like 1

I have nothing against them using IP. I don't know where you got the idea we're completely against it! We're only against it being entirely IP. Even 2009, which was entirely movie-based, had two houses that were original stories to spice things up. I'd be fine with a repeat of that, personally.

Not to knock on your post because I agree, but for a while a lot of people were tearing down the movie house's and the point dr jimmy was trying to make was that even though it says it's an original idea it's usually not. And given his examples he's completely right. Everything in the park is relatable to some type of show or film, the body collectors and legendary truth are two prime examples of why we shouldn't cry about having movie houses, because we are getting movie houses they just aren't stamped with the same title as the film or show, it wouldn't surprise me to see that Victorian house be a mock up of American horror story

Not to knock on your post because I agree, but for a while a lot of people were tearing down the movie house's and the point dr jimmy was trying to make was that even though it says it's an original idea it's usually not. And given his examples he's completely right. Everything in the park is relatable to some type of show or film, the body collectors and legendary truth are two prime examples of why we shouldn't cry about having movie houses, because we are getting movie houses they just aren't stamped with the same title as the film or show, it wouldn't surprise me to see that Victorian house be a mock up of American horror story

I agree with you to a degree but I understand the point Pirka is making. The thing is there are very few things these days that are truly original. If you are determined enough to find a link to something chances are you will find one. That doesn't mean that because somebody finds a tenuous link between a house and a movie/TV show that it had any real influence on it. I only have to mention all the posts last year with the Saws N Steam house and the game Bioshock to make this point clear. Let's just say some things have a direct correlation and others are a stretch at most lol.

• Like 2

Just saw this on Chud ... "Universal Classic Monsters--The Essential Collection" is being released on blu-ray October 2.

http://www.chud.com/98840/the-universal-monsters-on-blu/

Looking at the cover, with the monsters in black and white, hints dropped as to "Photograph"/the Dead Exposure like house suddenly make a lot of sense. This is now my most anticipated house.

• Like 1

Just saw this on Chud ... "Universal Classic Monsters--The Essential Collection" is being released on blu-ray October 2.

http://www.chud.com/...onsters-on-blu/

Looking at the cover, with the monsters in black and white, hints dropped as to "Photograph"/the Dead Exposure like house suddenly make a lot of sense. This is now my most anticipated house.

I have been saying for months now that I thought there would be a Classic Universal Monster house! Now this is here to justify my point, I think that the photograph house may be Classic Monster themed

I agree with you to a degree but I understand the point Pirka is making. The thing is there are very few things these days that are truly original. If you are determined enough to find a link to something chances are you will find one. That doesn't mean that because somebody finds a tenuous link between a house and a movie/TV show that it had any real influence on it. I only have to mention all the posts last year with the Saws N Steam house and the game Bioshock to make this point clear. Let's just say some things have a direct correlation and others are a stretch at most lol.

First to Pirka, I never meant to say that all or any one person here was heaping hate on movie or IP houses. But there has been a fairly noticeable trend ever since the houses were revealed across several fan forums besides just this site of discontent, dismay and even anger at the Event this year "Going Hollywood". If you have no qualms about IP then fine, the entire Event will not be IP - as far as I know there will be three houses that are "original A&D concepts".

Grimp0nd, yes you are correct, one cannot force tenuous connections such as "Saws n Steam = BioShock". I must confess that one of my examples was a little far fetched, namely Catacombs. I only mentioned that dubious connections to tease Jeff, I admit it. And it worked by his reaction. Sorry. I sometimes tease my friends.

But... All the other examples are pretty clear cut, members of A&D have all but admitted it in many cases (off the record, of course. Lawyers, you know) But, nevertheless the examples of actual real "homages" in original houses abound well past those I brought up. I mean the barbershop scene in Body Collectors: Collections of the Past for example, it was the same exact room as in Sweeney Todd, and could anyone who had seen John Carpenter's original The Fog not have recognized the chapel scene in The Forsaken? It really isn't that much of a stretch in many cases.

• Like 4

you're talking about Leave it to cleaver and The Spawning,

the Spawning was directly influenced by C.H.U.D, so that is not an original house, and leave it to cleaver was the funny house, (which I think is one of the worst houses I've been to) I think the only original house was Leave it, and that's not saying much,

so 2009 was pretty much All based on movies,

Chucky was not related to the movies at all, I would say Chucky is more original than Spawning,

2007 Carnival or Carnage, the only "original" houses were Vampyr which was pretty much influenced by Blade and Underworld ( they were even playing those soundtracks in the house) Psychoscerapy, and Jack's funhouse, two sequel houses, (most people hated Jack's funhouse) so even in the two biggest movie house years, the original houses were not original, two sequel houses and 2 houses based on movies anyway,

Interstellar terror in 2008 was based on Event Horizon, creatures and Bloody mary were original ideas, and they were not great, what i mean is, an original idea doesnt mean is going to be a good house, and a movie house doesn't mean is going to suck,

we get both original and non original houses, but even the original ones are influenced or based on movies, and sometimes the movie houses end up being better than the original houses, like 2007, I guess it depends, it depends on the actors, the sets (how accurate they are) what I don't get is the immediate Hate for movie houses when some of them have been amazing, some of my favorite houses were based on movies or characters, like Dracula and Frankenstein,

at the same time, original houses do not mean great houses, some of my least liked houses were original houses, I just don't think houses should be hated just because they are not original,

some people hate them because they do not look exactly like the movie, but, is that even fair? or rational? of course it will not look exactly like the movie, I don't even understand why would someone expect movie haunt house to look exactly like a movie set, (and yet most of the times they succeed at that too)

Edited by black mask

Ok just hear me out...

ands those numbers werent raised they just look that way