HHN 22 Speculation

In my opinion, i don't think that the event having 7 houses this year has nothing to do with Comcast dogging the event, but due to all the construction going on. Secondly, HHN Hollywood has had houses in the past that were originated here in Orlando (the thing asimilation). And last i checked Alice Cooper Welcome to my Nightmare was a big hit in Hollywood so it seems logical to bring it here, and might not be fair to call it a "rehash". Just my two cents.

I know the 7 houses is because of construction, but the problem is that if people pay the same for 7 houses and they can justify the price change with the lagoon show, we will see 7 houses next year again, and then later on, why couldn't they do the both park option, this was the exact year to do that, or not 2 parks but open park of IOA for HHN, they could have done something to fix the issue of the space and the lack of house, but they didn't, maybe they have valid reasons for this, but HHN was held at both parks in the past, so is not like they've never done it, that's what makes some people nervous, that they could have fixed the problem with opening part of IOA for houses, and they didn't and on top of all they planned a house on a building that was being demolished, if that is not cause to get scared for the event I dont know what is, if they get the same numbers as last years it just shows that we are okay with only 7 houses, and that they don't have to go that extra step for the event, they could say that 7 house count is better and leave it at that, we don't know, (we might even get 6 houses this year) I understand the construction was a problem, but this was the chance to do something and give us 8 houses, I know this is speculation and we don't know the truth or the problems they have, Im just saying, why didn't they do part of IOA? when we are having 2 constructions going on at Studios,

about Hollywood and Orlando, they redo their houses, we always get original houses, if we start getting the Hollywood treatment we might see Nightingales the exact way it was last year, or the Plague doctors, because that's what they do over there, Imagine we get 7 houses next year and 2 are movie houses from over there and one is a repeat,

Edited by black mask

Fair enough and I agree with you on most of your points. While I agree that Alice Cooper was a big hit in Hollywood, I don't believe that house as a whole should come to Orlando. I don't want to see the same house that was in Hollywood. I've seen video of it and I wasn't impressed. I wouldn't mind a similar house but I don't want to see a room by room recreation.

One thing you may not know is Hollywood has never had much of an impact on Orlando but Orlando has had impact on Hollywood. Not saying the other way around isn't a good idea. Some people here have a problem with change. It's the unknown and we like to know what we're getting. For all I know it could end up being the best year ever because of an idea from Hollywood.

One other small thing: I think it's funny how everyone seems to be panicking about the houses considering the tag line on the site right now is It's Never Too Soon To Start Panicking. The house list sure does have everyone panicking. Makes me start to wonder if we're not falling into a trap of some sort......

Now that sounds like irony lol. Never to late to start panicking, boy did everybody take it to heart. Who knows lol.

• Like 1

I know the 7 houses is because of construction, but the problem is that if people pay the same for 7 houses and they can justify the price change with the lagoon show, we will see 7 houses next year again, and then later on, why couldn't they do the both park option, this was the exact year to do that, or not 2 parks but open park of IOA for HHN, they could have done something to fix the issue of the space and the lack of house, but they didn't, maybe they have valid reasons for this, but HHN was held at both parks in the past, so is not like they've never done it, that's what makes some people nervous, that they could have fixed the problem with opening part of IOA for houses, and they didn't and on top of all they planned a house on a building that was being demolished, if that is not cause to get scared for the event I dont know what is, if they get the same numbers as last years it just shows that we are okay with only 7 houses, and that they don't have to go that extra step for the event, they could say that 7 house count is better and leave it at that, we don't know, (we might even get 6 houses this year) I understand the construction was a problem, but this was the chance to do something and give us 8 houses, I know this is speculation and we don't know the truth or the problems they have, Im just saying, why didn't they do part of IOA? when we are having 2 constructions going on at Studios,

about Hollywood and Orlando, they redo their houses, we always get original houses, if we start getting the Hollywood treatment we might see Nightingales the exact way it was last year, or the Plague doctors, because that's what they do over there, Imagine we get 7 houses next year and 2 are movie houses from over there and one is a repeat,

I know how Hollywood works, i've had the pleasure of going to HHN Hollywood, and will be flying to CA again this fall. Maybe that's why im not to nervous about this year. By the way, don't worry about Alice Cooper, orlando will put it's stamp on it, and frankly the video didn't do the house any justice, i saw it for myself and it's better then you think. :-)

What really has me worried is the demo of 44. Its the lack of communictionbetween departments that has me worried. If they did that whos to say higher ups wont pull plugs on other things. It may be small stuff but it wont be what a&d wants and if they have doubts about quality and quantity then im shiting my pants. I agree with everthing you say just getting it off my mind.

• Like 1

discussions can get ....enthusiastic lol. It is too early to say this year is gonna suck for certain but this is a speculating forum so both sides of the coin must be listened to. The entire point of people expressing concerns on here is so that we avoid having three sucky years in a row and we know Universal keeps an eye on these forums so don't ever say there is nothing we can do about it. You can.

Agreed lol. I know that to some extent they heed our feedback. I just dont think its to the extent that people hope. I wasnt trying to prevent them from voicing their side, I was just shocked at the amount of half empty, but tbh it scares me a little as well. I would not want to lose the event we have all come to love. But you have a point, an angry mob with pitchforks can get some attention.

Edited by Mr.Grim
  • Like 1

I have no problem with Universal selling tickets for so much. I know my first year going, we were the idiots who spent $70 for one night, liked is so much we did the Stay N Scream for another $40 on a Friday and then purchased another Sat ticket for $80.

Feel stupid in hindsight, and I know I'm not the only one, but since then we've done the FFP and then one night of Stay & Scream...and have now moved onto the Rush of Fear + Express. We come from NY so we had no Publix, no FL Residence Discount, etc. Oh well, we came and the PRODUCT justified the price and we have since adapted and continue to come every year (minus one year).

If you have to "pay your dues" and fill their coffers the first time for the benefit of "us"...I'm all for it (even being a victim myself). If the early planners, such as my group now, get a discount than good for us and the last seconders should have to pay more. It's like buying your concert/sporting event tickets on Stubhub at the last second...you have to expect it.

I think $90 per night is absurd...but $70 for the Rush of Fear for like 10 days (not looking at the info, so just guestimating) is a steal. I have no problems with the ticket prices...so long as they continue to deliver the goods.

I live less than 10 miles from http://www.headlesshorseman.com/ and let me tell you, $90 for one night of HHN blows the price they charge for this out of the water. This Headless Horseman is a great time...and you don't need Air Fare and Hotel Rooms to do it if you're me, but I have no problems shelling out the cash for the atmosphere, ambiance, quality, and immersiveness of HHN! It's worth it when you look at my local alternatives. I think some of the comments come from you "spoiled" Floridaers (OK, you have to deal with heat for 6 more months than me!) I look at it and think that $270 for tickets for a 3 day weekend is ridiculous, but given the ticket options, if you're in the know and can plan your trip more than 3 days in advance, you're getting your money's worth and then some!

Caveat emptor: If it turns out we're getting screwed over and I feel cheated, I have the full option to reverse my opinion and rant from the other side! HA HA HA :)

Edited by Oysterhead00

I'm hoping that there only being one casting day does not = even less scareactors. The scareactors last year did a great job for the most part, but you could tell that less people were hired.

I could have sworn that they we're having reunion auditions on July 10th and regular auditions on July 17th. That's 2 days. Maybe they expect to hire a bunch of people from the reunion auditions. I wouldn't worry much about it yet.

I could have sworn that they we're having reunion auditions on July 10th and regular auditions on July 17th. That's 2 days. Maybe they expect to hire a bunch of people from the reunion auditions. I wouldn't worry much about it yet.

You're right. I just saw the post for the reunion auditions. Last I had seen those weren't scheduled, but are now.

What really has me worried is the demo of 44. Its the lack of communiction between departments that has me worried if they did that whos to say higher ups wont pull plugs on other things. It may be small stuff but it wont be what a&d wants and if they have doubts about quality and quantity then im shiting my pants. I agree with everthing you say just getting it off my mind.

Do we know that there was no communication? Is anyone here privy to the internal communications involved here? Is it not plausible that during the process of preparing SS44 for it's house that the crews discovered that the building would need substantial repairs before they could safely house a house? If you are looking at an additional 2-3 weeks of construction before you can even start the house construction is it possible to be done in time for the event? And would it be worthwhile to put that much extra money fixing a structure ultimately slated for demolition anyway?

Do we know that there was no communication? Is anyone here privy to the internal communications involved here? Is it not plausible that during the process of preparing SS44 for it's house that the crews discovered that the building would need substantial repairs before they could safely house a house? If you are looking at an additional 2-3 weeks of construction before you can even start the house construction is it possible to be done in time for the event? And would it be worthwhile to put that much extra money fixing a structure ultimately slated for demolition anyway?

Would you rather spend those 2 or 3 weeks fixing it or demo is spend more money doing that and look for a new location do a whole new layout if needed and then hire people supplies to build another house or say screw it fix whats needed and go off what you already have availible?sounds different that way doesnt it? if there was a good flow of comunication then A&D would have already switched locations and avoided building a little bit and save on the supplies?Do you know the inner workings? If you do im sorry but i see it that way.I respect your opinion and concern and im not trying to say sit there shut up and belive what im saying and this is an open forum but you gotta look at both sides. I looked at it both ways and that seemed logical to me. You dont need to know exactly what the comunication was to get to the conclusion that A-A&D had no indication way in advance to change locations or acomidat the demo in anyway and B-there was probobly a cut in the flow of comunication im not saying the higher us said screw A&D tear down the building but maybey a memo was thrown away by a secratay. Sorry again if this post sounds like im bashing you or forcing you to agree with me but i just want to put my full opinion out there. I respect you and i see where you come from but this is what i belive. :) sorry for the ranting

Edited by HHN_FREAK0524

I think this year is shaping up to be exactly like 2007, It will all depend on how the houses are if it's a really good year or if its going to really suck, Scarezones I don't feel very good about after last year, so I'm not even going to think about what the streets are going to look like because they will be disappointing ( I hope not, but I bet they will) so that's that,

now houses, I think it all is riding on the houses, the thing that saved 2007 from being bad was how good the houses were, having the big movie Icons did bring the crowds in, people wanted to come face to face with Jason Leatherface and Freddy, and I don't think anyone was disappointed, I think for the most part everyone that went was pretty happy with the houses, the streets were really awful but the houses saved the year,

I really hope this year we get really really good houses, the lack of a house is going to show, the lack of shows and rides open, these houses better be really good, of course people will still pay even if it sucks and HHN is untouchable, but I don't want to feel cheated, just because we pay the ticket price doesn't mean we have to conform, yes they are doing this event and we shouldn't be spoiled, but at the same time is because of our money that the parks are even open in the first place, it goes both ways, HHN is a big money maker, I know Potter brings the crowds now but that doesn't mean HHN doesn't bring a lot of people in because it does, I never go to the regular parks, only to HHN, every year, only to HHN,

Edited by black mask
  • Like 1

Would you rather spend those 2 or 3 weeks fixing it or demo is spend more money doing that and look for a new location do a whole new layout if needed and then hire people supplies to build another house or say screw it fix whats needed and go off what you already have availible?sounds different that way doesnt it? if there was a good flow of comunication then A&D would have already switched locations and avoided building a little bit and save on the supplies?Do you know the inner workings? If you do im sorry but i see it that way.I respect your opinion and concern and im not trying to say sit there shut up and belive what im saying and this is an open forum but you gotta look at both sides. I looked at it both ways and that seemed logical to me. You dont need to know exactly what the comunication was to get to the conclusion that A-A&D had no indication way in advance to change locations or acomidat the demo in anyway and B-there was probobly a cut in the flow of comunication im not saying the higher us said screw A&D tear down the building but maybey a memo was thrown away by a secratay. Sorry again if this post sounds like im bashing you or forcing you to agree with me but i just want to put my full opinion out there. I respect you and i see where you come from but this is what i belive. :) sorry for the ranting

If during house construction it was discovered that the building was essentially unusable (and SS44 was long rumored to have been "condemned") there would not be any warning way in advance. To me this seems far more likely than a secretary throwing away a memo.

The building wasn't condemned. It was in use before the house was being built and it would have had to have been inspected prior to construction.

There have been whisperings that this was not a planned demo... At least not on A&D's side. From what I can gather (and mind you it's a matter of piecing things together) is that some kind of time sensitive deal popped up or some "blue sky" project got green lit with the SS 44 project and they had to jump on it.

Basically everything I heard was that it was a go for two parks early on. Then something must have happened to delay the 44 project which opened it back up to just the studios. Things moved along and something changed again to allow the 44 project to continue. Since they were early on in the house build... I'm assuming the executives made the decision to go forward with the 44 project. I really I don't think it is lack of communication between the departments but more so just timing involving deals on projects.

• Like 1

The building wasn't condemned. It was in use before the house was being built and it would have had to have been inspected prior to construction.

There have been whisperings that this was not a planned demo... At least not on A&D's side. From what I can gather (and mind you it's a matter of piecing things together) is that some kind of time sensitive deal popped up or some "blue sky" project got green lit with the SS 44 project and they had to jump on it.

Basically everything I heard was that it was a go for two parks early on. Then something must have happened to delay the 44 project which opened it back up to just the studios. Things moved along and something changed again to allow the 44 project to continue. Since they were early on in the house build... I'm assuming the executives made the decision to go forward with the 44 project. I really I don't think it is lack of communication between the departments but more so just timing involving deals on projects.

Now explained like that it makes perfect sense. Doesn't make me feel any better about the chaos surrounding this years build up but that's the best explanation I've heard so far.

• Like 1

I do want to add that the original "two park" idea was nearly identical to 2004, only Marvel wasn't opened. The way I understand it, there was one house in Islands, five soundstages, SS 44 and Disaster. So when I imply there was a corporate decision involved, I mean it.

Hearing it from you I now have changed my view and Spathic I did not say 100 % that a secrateary screwed up but it was saying MAYBE (that being the keyword here) a mix up of papers or misunderstood or misinterpreted piece of information. I did not say this one secratery with a memo that said "SS 40 is Demo Dont use-your boss" then threw it away and I never said "NO" like you implied I did I said "LACK OF" there is a difference.But now that a trusted member of this forum (Thank you JWFearman) has shed some light for me on as to a more likely possibility. :)

Edited by HHN_FREAK0524

Whatever happens people just remember we're in this together. We're all fans and we all want a great event. We might not always agree on what we like or dislike but that's ok as long as we all stick together in the aim of supporting the event and doing our best to tell Universal what we like and dislike. Whether or not they listen is up to them but at least we'll have done our bit and at the end of the day that's all we can do.

• Like 11

Whatever happens people just remember we're in this together. We're all fans and we all want a great event. We might not always agree on what we like or dislike but that's ok as long as we all stick together in the aim of supporting the event and doing our best to tell Universal what we like and dislike. Whether or not they listen is up to them but at least we'll have done our bit and at the end of the day that's all we can do.

I agree

Very great words of wisdom. I myself still have hope for the event no matter how big the houses and scarezones are or how good they are. As long as I have fun, that's all that matters. And that I get scared! :D

Interesting post. Thanks for this.

ive been trolling through the forums for past 2 weeks or so and im shocked at ll the insider knowledge people have, i thought mine was pretty good but this is just amazing...but on the note of sz's the major issue seems to be the parade and time to set up a sz, where would be a problem of starting 30min later? if i remeber correcly during HHN nights USF closes about 7 and HHn starts about 7:30. And personally i think 30 extra minutes of prep time would be HUGE and i dont think fans would be upset about it or even really realize thats its an hour delay instead of 30min. Also if corporate is afraid of losing revenue during that 30min is there a set rule/law that HHN has to close at 12? why not on the weekend (fridays, saturday) stay open till 1 or even 2?

And as far as houses i dont blame new management for the lack of the extra house, it was SUPPOSED to have 8, something happened (we will probably never no the real reason of why) and its rumored that there will still be an 8th house, either a dual run, or another SS....but my thought is why cant they level the ground that was ss44 and build an outdoor maze? would that require a permant to put up the baracades to build the maze? that to me would be a very simple fix to giving us a 8th house if they see the upset about through these forums (we do al know they watch these forums to see what the die hard fans want and probably get a good amount of ideas from the forums)

these are just my thoughts and im far from in as much know as a lot of your are.

With all the pissing and moaning of late about the use of IP this year, I think It is necessarily to remind all of us now that in the 21 years of HHN at Orlando there have actually only been three years where there have not been any houses either directly adapted from a film or television series or which contained scenes directly adapted from films.

Those years were 1991, 2005 and 2010.

Furthermore in all three of those years the Event was nevertheless filled with IP.

In 1991, the "icons" or presenting characters if you will, were the Classic Universal Monsters who appeared at the event along with the Munsters! Even Chucky made a cameo as Eddie Munster's doll. The Graveyard Revue feature IP characters from Universal films such as Psycho and The Blues Brothers along with Warner Brothers properties like Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters. And in Hollywood Blvd. there was a show directly adapted from the Warner Brothers film Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome.

In 2005 many of the "original" houses were "inspired" by IP as "homages" or "rip-offs" depending on your point of view. Demon Cantina was clearly inspired by the Dimension film From Dusk Till Dawn. The Body Collectors were themselves taken right out of the then UPN television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "Hush". And someone who very strongly resembled the then Dimension films character Michael Myers from the Halloween franchise appeared in the house, Where Evil Hides.

In 2010 the house Legendary Truth: The Wyandot Estate was clearly inspired by the 20th Century Fox film The Legend of Hell House, all they did was change the name from Emeric Belasco to Malcolm Wyandot and move the location from England to Ohio. Furthermore the actual haunted house Richard Matheson based Hell House on is located in Ohio! Zombiegeddon was just a mash-up of Columbia's Zombieland and Lionsgate's Fido. Hades: Gates of Ruin was so much a knock off of Warner Brothers' Clash of the Titans that it wasn't funny, not only did they have the exact scenes of Medusa's lair from the film and a direct Harryhausen cyclops make-up, but the actually used the very font from the movie for the house! Even Catacombs: Black Death Rising had sets that were identical to those from the Lionsgate film Catacombs.

And of course every year of HHN in Orlando since 1992 has featured the show Bill and Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure which always has to feature IP by definition.

Thus in fact HHN in Orlando has always been full of IP one way or another.

• Like 9