HHN 22 Speculation

I've seen many things ruined when new people come on board and it stinks to know that one of my favorite events is in the hand Of a new entity an on top of it one that hasn't done it before, it's easy to say this maybe the most disappointing year lets just hope it's not to disappointing, I mean I so far like the ideas behind the houses besides p&t which everyone is subject to their own opinions but if that's the most disappointing year I'm not to upset, who knows maybe it will be one of the better years and Comcast won't f something up for once...but I doubt it, I'll be there this year but if it is a crap event I'll en up at hos next year plain and simple I they screw it up let em know thy screwed it up

I hope your right and Comcast won't f it up. I doubt it too but even monkeys playing darts can get a bullseye every once in awhile. I worry about this year but I also worry about it becoming a habit in the future. I hope those worries are for not and everyone complaining is blown away this year. I don't feel that it's too soon to begin worrying about quality this year but I don't feel that we can judge the houses based of names. You can't judge a book by it's cover so we shouldn't jump to conclusions based on titles alone.

Comcast is known for spending the least amount of money to make the most amount of money. When it comes to HHN they will absolutely downgrade the houses and the event itself if they feel it can help their profit margin. This coming from someone who worked for the company for several years and has been a customer of theirs for 15 years. They are all about making more money. Event quality doesn't matter to them, people coming in the gates do. If people still come for a dumbed down event then they will continue to dumb it down. For someone to think that they won't do the same thing with HHN as they do in the rest of their holdings is just absurd.

Universal Cinematic Spectacular, Despicable Me Minion Mayhem, Spider-man re-do, Superstar Parade, Soundstage 44 project, the reopening of Cafe Labamba, a huge and expensive expansion for Universal Studios Florida, Spongebob Storepants, not to mention countless other projects that haven't been announced yet on top of them dumping 150 million each of the next 5 years into the parks which is 100 MILLION more than their predecessors.

Yes, clearly Comcast has no desire to spend money on quality in the parks.

The parks are run by Steve Burke, who was a high level Disney Parks manager before leaving for Comcast. The man loves the parks, and with the amount we've already seen, we're not getting a cut in quality here.

Now I admit HHN is a bit on the weird side right now, but it's obvious this year is a bit of a wildcard. I'll wait to see how this year and next year turn out before I claim the sky is falling.

Edited by Parkscope
  • Like 4

Universal Cinematic Spectacular, Despicable Me Minion Mayhem, Spider-man re-do, Superstar Parade, Soundstage 44 project, the reopening of Cafe Labamba, a huge and expensive expansion for Universal Studios Florida, Spongebob Storepants, not to mention countless other projects that haven't been announced yet on top of them dumping 150 million each of the next 5 years into the parks which is 100 MILLION more than their predecessors.

The parks are run by Steve Burke, who was a high level Disney Parks manager before leaving for Comcast. The man loves the parks, and with the amount we've already seen, we're not getting a cut in quality here.

Now I admit HHN is a bit on the weird side right now, but it's obvious this year is a bit of a wildcard. I'll wait to see how this year and next year turn out before I claim the sky is falling.

They're developing the parks so they don't have to rely on HHN. If the parks get to be insanely profitable without HHN (like IoA did with Harry Potter), they'll start scaling back. A new ride has already trumped HHN. A day parade may trump scarezones. HHN is NOT a priority.

• Like 1

Wow, I didnt mean to piss people off. Im just saying keep your hopes up. Every company wants to increase profits, Im just saying I doubt they will DESTROY the event. To say that, is being a little melodramatic, especially since we have not experienced it yet. Even if this year sucked, you still need a couple more years of suckage (is that a word) to attribute that to the new ownership. Just because something is different than you are used to does not mean its bad. Dont get me wrong Im a true old school believer in "dont change the recipe to my favorite food" kinda thing. Im not happy that things will change, I just accept and embrace it bc there is nothing that we can do about it. Please dont flame me guys, Im as avid of a classic HHN attendee as you can get.

• Like 1

Not sure where the hate for IP houses comes from. Nightmare on Elm Street and The Thing:Assimilation were generally regarded as very good to great. Texas Chainsaw Massacre was certainly not a disaster (no pun intended), and Saw seemed to have its fans. Friday the 13th was a bit of a letdown, but that was because of the location, not the IP.

Granted those are A-list properties, but that almost makes me feel better about Alice Cooper and P&T. Unlike, say, Stephen King, I don't think people were beating down their doors begging them to lend their names to a house in return for a check. I suspect they are doing it as much for the art as the money. I get the sense from Cooper's Hollywood house he had a JK Rowling-like level of input and control. An old-school horror icon giving us a glimpse into his psyche? That's interesting to me.

I'm far more upset about the apparent cut from 8 houses to 7, especially if B&T and Death Drums end up being the only shows. Lack of capacity, not creativity, threatens to be the major problem this Fall.

They're developing the parks so they don't have to rely on HHN. If the parks get to be insanely profitable without HHN (like IoA did with Harry Potter), they'll start scaling back. A new ride has already trumped HHN. A day parade may trump scarezones. HHN is NOT a priority.

I agree that HHN isn't a priority, but so far I don't see it being "scaled" back aside from the SS44 aboration, and for all we know there will be a replacement for that misshap. There are still plenty of places to put scarezones that the parade won't affect. Until we get conformation on what's going on, I don't see a reason to go all "THE SKY IS FALLING!".

And even then, the year could still be great, as I expect it to be. And even if it's not, it doesn't mean the year after won't be great.

I just think it's funny that we have people yelling to high heaven that Comcast/Uni doesn't care about putting out high quality stuff when they're dumping millions upon millions of dollars into the parks as we speak.

And as much as it does suck that the parade might interfere with Scarezones....A&D knew it was coming a long time ago. If they were worried about scarezones or didn't have a quality way of working around the parade, they should have moved venues to IoA or dual parks or something. The Soundstage 44 dilemma was unfortunate, of course, but sometimes **** happens and departments don't communicate effectively. It happens at my company, it happened at Disney when I worked there, etc.

• Like 1

If they can get more profits by lowering the quality and the fans keep coming... yes, they will. HHN use to be only thing that kept Universal somewhat profitable. It's not anymore. Harry Potter and the actual theme parks are doing fine of their own. They don't need to invest as much in HHN because it's icing on the cake.

Comcast is known for spending the least amount of money to make the most amount of money. When it comes to HHN they will absolutely downgrade the houses and the event itself if they feel it can help their profit margin. This coming from someone who worked for the company for several years and has been a customer of theirs for 15 years. They are all about making more money. Event quality doesn't matter to them, people coming in the gates do. If people still come for a dumbed down event then they will continue to dumb it down. For someone to think that they won't do the same thing with HHN as they do in the rest of their holdings is just absurd.

I agree, and they will probably keep watering down the event and making bad decisions until they can, until people will stop going, this year is a good example of that, with Alice Cooper WD and P&T, If people are okay with 7 houses, will they be okay with 6? I wouldn't be surprised if they do 7 houses again next year, whether there is construction or not, they will probably test this, what can they take away from the event while getting the attendance

Orlando HHN and Hollywood HHN are very different not because different people are involved, but because the space is physically different, they get 4 houses we get 8, they get bigger scarezones that we do, they have the terror tram, some things that work for them won't work for us,

they repeat houses every year, they did saw twice, jason like 4 years? old jason and new jason, we always get new houses or at least sequels, we never get repeat houses ever, does that mean we could see the same house again the next year?

Edited by black mask

. Even if this year sucked, you still need a couple more years of suckage (is that a word) to attribute that to the new ownership.

Agreed in full here. And that's the point I'm trying to make, along with showing people they're spending money.

Not sure where the hate for IP houses comes from. Nightmare on Elm Street and The Thing:Assimilation were generally regarded as very good to great. Texas Chainsaw Massacre was certainly not a disaster (no pun intended), and Saw seemed to have its fans. Friday the 13th was a bit of a letdown, but that was because of the location, not the IP.

Granted those are A-list properties, but that almost makes me feel better about Alice Cooper and P&T. Unlike, say, Stephen King, I don't think people were beating down their doors begging them to lend their names to a house in return for a check. I suspect they are doing it as much for the art as the money. I get the sense from Cooper's Hollywood house he had a JK Rowling-like level of input and control. An old-school horror icon giving us a glimpse into his psyche? That's interesting to me.

I'm far more upset about the apparent cut from 8 houses to 7, especially if B&T and Death Drums end up being the only shows. Lack of capacity, not creativity, threatens to be the major problem this Fall.

I agree. But I'm expecting a lagoon show as well. 3 or so showings of that should draw some crowds. And I'm assuming Despicable Me will definitely be open, adding another ride to the capacity. Yea, it sucks not having 8 houses, for sure. Hopefully that's just an abboration.

And even then, the year could still be great, as I expect it to be. And even if it's not, it doesn't mean the year after won't be great.

nobody goes to the event with the anticipation of next years event, you are there to experience it there and there only..then after its over comes next years

• Like 1

Agreed in full here. And that's the point I'm trying to make, along with showing people they're spending money.

I agree. But I'm expecting a lagoon show as well. 3 or so showings of that should draw some crowds. And I'm assuming Despicable Me will definitely be open, adding another ride to the capacity. Yea, it sucks not having 8 houses, for sure. Hopefully that's just an abboration.

I really really doubt they will change the lagoon show do a horror lagoon show for a couple of weeks, I don't see how they would do a lagoon show horror themed, justify the change for a couple of weeks,

Unless the lack of one house and lack of scarezones will be justified by a horror lagoon show, which will suck,

I really really doubt they will change the lagoon show do a horror lagoon show for a couple of weeks, I don't see how they would do a lagoon show horror themed, justify the change for a couple of weeks,

Unless the lack of one house and lack of scarezones will be justified by a horror lagoon show, which will suck,

The benefit of this kind of show is that it's easy to program and change. Do up a new video, program a new sequence for the fountains, add in the lasers that are on their way, and there you are. Aiello already hinted at it when the show debuted. And then you simply switch back to the programming on the normal nights there is no HHN.

Simple.

Wow, I didnt mean to piss people off. Im just saying keep your hopes up. Every company wants to increase profits, Im just saying I doubt they will DESTROY the event. To say that, is being a little melodramatic, especially since we have not experienced it yet. Even if this year sucked, you still need a couple more years of suckage (is that a word) to attribute that to the new ownership. Just because something is different than you are used to does not mean its bad. Dont get me wrong Im a true old school believer in "dont change the recipe to my favorite food" kinda thing. Im not happy that things will change, I just accept and embrace it bc there is nothing that we can do about it. Please dont flame me guys, Im as avid of a classic HHN attendee as you can get.

Don't worry Mr Grim nobody is pissed off with you and nobody is flaming you. Your opinion is as welcome as everyone else's but people love this event so discussions can get ....enthusiastic lol. It is too early to say this year is gonna suck for certain but this is a speculating forum so both sides of the coin must be listened to. The entire point of people expressing concerns on here is so that we avoid having three sucky years in a row and we know Universal keeps an eye on these forums so don't ever say there is nothing we can do about it. You can.

• Like 4

If they can get more profits by lowering the quality and the fans keep coming... yes, they will.

HHN use to be only thing that kept Universal somewhat profitable. It's not anymore. Harry Potter and the actual theme parks are doing fine of their own. They don't need to invest as much in HHN because it's icing on the cake.

What dismays me is how all of these rumors of the event going down to seven houses (apparently) and rehashing a maze from Hollywood are becoming more true all while the price for the event gets higher. $88 for one night? I think Legacy's posts definitely have some truth here.

Well it shows that you just skim through posts. I've been one of the more positive people on here about this year. I'm not one of the sky is falling people. I keep telling people you can't judge the houses by name alone. To wait until they've been to the event and through the houses to pass judgement. In the post you quoted not once did I once mention any of the attractions you've brought up? I was specifically talking about HHN. I made that very clear. In fact I said "When it comes to HHN" so your attack is not warranted. Although it did give me a good laugh because it was easy to see I was specifically talking about HHN.

Allow me to tell you how I feel about the rest of the parks and their upgrades since you seem to think I'm not happy with them. They have done a great job in making changes to the parks and city walk. I could do less with HP but understand the marketing of it all. Specifically studios speaking the parade, cinematic spectacular and Despicable Me are all great projects. They bring people into the park. It makes me even more excited to come to Orlando in October. Of course that's even more reason they could cut spending on HHN. They are spending tons of money on everything else. HHN is a special ticketed event they could cut costs on for a few years. If they feel they can make cuts and profit more then they will do it.

I'm not even saying the cuts would be drastic. Less spent on costumes, less spent on props and sz's. Just little things here or there. The details that you can only see with the lights on may not be quite as detailed. There may not be as many props in the sz's or as many scareactors on the streets. I do not by any means feel they will destroy HHN. Just cut costs where they can, especially with all of the other projects going on at this time. Next year may be much better, your guess is as good as mine at this point. What I can say for sure is that there have been plenty of curve balls thrown at them this year so I don't expect the quality of years past. Will that last? I don't know, I'd like to think no.

• Like 1

What dismays me is how all of these rumors of the event going down to seven houses (apparently) and rehashing a maze from Hollywood are becoming more true all while the price for the event gets higher. $88 for one night? I think Legacy's posts definitely have some truth here.

For me, I have the same view of one night HHN tickets as I do one day theme park passes. if you're buying them, you're doing it wrong.

And if I had to guess, Universal is looking at it the same way. The more nights you're in the park, the more you're eating, drinking, going to CityWalk, etc. So they make the Frequent/Rush passes look better and more reasonable in order to ensure you're coming back multiple times.

I definitely think the price for a one night ticket is ridiculous, but I get where they're coming from with it.

Well it shows that you just skim through posts. I've been one of the more positive people on here about this year. I'm not one of the sky is falling people. I keep telling people you can't judge the houses by name alone. To wait until they've been to the event and through the houses to pass judgement. In the post you quoted not once did I once mention any of the attractions you've brought up? I was specifically talking about HHN. I made that very clear. In fact I said "When it comes to HHN" so your attack is not warranted. Although it did give me a good laugh because it was easy to see I was specifically talking about HHN.

Allow me to tell you how I feel about the rest of the parks and their upgrades since you seem to think I'm not happy with them. They have done a great job in making changes to the parks and city walk. I could do less with HP but understand the marketing of it all. Specifically studios speaking the parade, cinematic spectacular and Despicable Me are all great projects. They bring people into the park. It makes me even more excited to come to Orlando in October. Of course that's even more reason they could cut spending on HHN. They are spending tons of money on everything else. HHN is a special ticketed event they could cut costs on for a few years. If they feel they can make cuts and profit more then they will do it.

I'm not even saying the cuts would be drastic. Less spent on costumes, less spent on props and sz's. Just little things here or there. The details that you can only see with the lights on may not be quite as detailed. There may not be as many props in the sz's or as many scareactors on the streets. I do not by any means feel they will destroy HHN. Just cut costs where they can, especially with all of the other projects going on at this time. Next year may be much better, your guess is as good as mine at this point. What I can say for sure is that there have been plenty of curve balls thrown at them this year so I don't expect the quality of years past. Will that last? I don't know, I'd like to think no.

A) There was no attacking. Cool your jets.

B )You seemed awfully "sky is falling" like with your "They don't care about quality and only profit mentality" as well as claiming they'll jump at the first opportunity to dumb it down if they can. I apologize for misreading your tone, but it was awfully bad to me.

Edited by Parkscope

For me, I have the same view of one night HHN tickets as I do one day theme park passes. if you're buying them, you're doing it wrong.

And if I had to guess, Universal is looking at it the same way. The more nights you're in the park, the more you're eating, drinking, going to CityWalk, etc. So they make the Frequent/Rush passes look better and more reasonable in order to ensure you're coming back multiple times.

I definitely think the price for a one night ticket is ridiculous, but I get where they're coming from with it.

B )You seemed awfully "sky is falling" like with your "They don't care about quality and only profit mentality" as well as claiming they'll jump at the first opportunity to dumb it down if they can. I apologize for misreading your tone, but it was awfully bad to me.

A) I felt it was a bit of an attack, if not my apologies but I still stick to everything I said.

B ) Read back a bit, read other posts. The one post I've been negative is the one you quoted. It's not even that negative. It's just simple facts about comcast's history coming from someone who witnessed it first hand in their offices in Philadelphia which is their headquarters. In other posts I've expressed my disappointment but urge people to wait until they've seen the event to judge.

Edited by AaronPaHHNFan
  • Like 2

Some friendly advice. Get off your high horse and read more carefully what Aaron, Legacy and myself are saying to you. They've been on this forum a long time. Aaron worked for Comcast, Legacy has worked for Universal at HHN. Their views as well as everyone else's on this forum are equally valid. Please remember you're not on your blog page now.

• Like 2

thats not really fair to people out of state, sure the people living here benefit from FFP and stuff, but how many people bring the money from other states or countries? people that are here for one night,

I think we might see a decline in costumes and sz, we already did last year, perfect example, sz were barely there, barely any props, last year left a lot to be desired with the zones, now we are only getting 7 houses, so who knows, I always hope for the best and I always love the event, but there is being optimistic and there is being realistic,

• Like 2

thats not really fair to people out of state, sure the people living here benefit from FFP and stuff, but how many people bring the money from other states or countries? people that are here for one night,

I mean, if people are here for a night, then it's their decision to buy a one night ticket. Most vacationers aren't in Orlando for a night. And if that's the case, a FFP or Rush of Fear makes more sense.

I mean, if people are here for a night, then it's their decision to buy a one night ticket. Most vacationers aren't in Orlando for a night. And if that's the case, a FFP or Rush of Fear makes more sense.

My entire group is from out of state and we all buy FFP. We go 4 to 5 nights and it's more than worth it. No need for anyone to buy a 1 night ticket but still tons of people do.

you would be surprised the amount of people that go to HHN for one night, while yes it is true they are here for more than one day, they usually go to the other parks, a lot of people try to do everything in one night, even if they get express passes, if the event sucks and has less houses than usual, is not going to be very good, so I wonder if some people will think this year wasn't worth it,like I said who knows,

If there is a Walking Dead house could there be an announcement in correlation with AMC's upcoming Walking Dead marathon? The timing lines up pretty well with last year's Thing announcement. It would be a great opportunity for Universal to reach a broader audience for the event. I lived up in TN growing up and the first I heard of HHN was when I moved down to Orlando.

Edited by Henchman 24

In my opinion, i don't think that the event having 7 houses this year has nothing to do with Comcast dogging the event, but due to all the construction going on. Secondly, HHN Hollywood has had houses in the past that were originated here in Orlando (the thing asimilation). And last i checked Alice Cooper Welcome to my Nightmare was a big hit in Hollywood so it seems logical to bring it here, and might not be fair to call it a "rehash". Just my two cents.

In my opinion, i don't think that the event having 7 houses this year has nothing to do with Comcast dogging the event, but due to all the construction going on. Secondly, HHN Hollywood has had houses in the past that were originated here in Orlando (the thing asimilation). And last i checked Alice Cooper Welcome to my Nightmare was a big hit in Hollywood so it seems logical to bring it here, and might not be fair to call it a "rehash". Just my two cents.

Fair enough and I agree with you on most of your points. While I agree that Alice Cooper was a big hit in Hollywood, I don't believe that house as a whole should come to Orlando. I don't want to see the same house that was in Hollywood. I've seen video of it and I wasn't impressed. I wouldn't mind a similar house but I don't want to see a room by room recreation.

One thing you may not know is Hollywood has never had much of an impact on Orlando but Orlando has had impact on Hollywood. Not saying the other way around isn't a good idea. Some people here have a problem with change. It's the unknown and we like to know what we're getting. For all I know it could end up being the best year ever because of an idea from Hollywood.

One other small thing: I think it's funny how everyone seems to be panicking about the houses considering the tag line on the site right now is It's Never Too Soon To Start Panicking. The house list sure does have everyone panicking. Makes me start to wonder if we're not falling into a trap of some sort......

• Like 1