HHN 22 Speculation

Draw of the parade = beads (specifically the skull beads) and shiny coins with that year's logo

You're more likely to see drunk/stupid guests attacking a dragon instead

Yes and Yes. It's mardi Gras with Horror nights. I like the beads but especially the doubloons. I have at least one from every year. Plus its a good crowd pull although it can be an obstacle too if you don't want to see the parade.

I wonder if we will see the zones/hordes/whatever you want to call them.... evolve this year like last year. With the lack of thematic props, scare actor evolution might help it to stay fresh.

Either way, it would be set up so that you could sit in one area in the park and see all eight "zones" pass you by.

Actually, if what I've heard is correct, something like this would be entirely possible.

Although choosing to do that may not be beneficial.

I'm going to be a pita (pain in the a$$, for anyone who doesn't know the term), but why can't we have a zone/horde in Plaza of the Stars/Production Central?

Reasons we can:

1 I'm alomst positive Hanna Barberra/Neutron was open with a horde near it in the 90's. At least I remember riding it at HHN in 98.

2 The entrance to the ride appears to be (haven't been since it's been open) at the traditional starting point of a zone. Just move the zone back a little.

3 I know T2 was open with a scarezone in Hollywood in 98.

Unless anyone wants to confirm that they have definitely heard Plaza as not being a zone, I don't think it hurts to speculate on it being used. Especially since I cannot really figure out another possible horde area in the park.

regarding the possible dragons, does anyone have any ideas towards the costuming and such? Is it going to be scareactors with reptilian features? A Chinese new year esque style scarezone? Scareactors worshipping a giant animitronic Dragon? Also would this open up the possibility for pyrotechnics in this Scarezone, I'm really excited for this Zone but I may just be excited for no reason, so any ideas or new info that is allowable?

Edited by CelioCantos

I can't comment on much, but HHN has built fairly large scale zones DAILY between day-time to event. Like, building full structures, moving out props, etc etc. It's not as crazy as some suggest,

I remember back in maybe '02-'03 they would close the park down like an hour and a half early just to do this. They would always tell us that they were setting up the event for horror nights. If I'm not mistaken the park use to close a lot earlier on event nights then it does now.

regarding the possible dragons, does anyone have any ideas towards the costuming and such? Is it going to be scareactors with reptilian features? A Chinese new year esque style scarezone? Scareactors worshipping a giant animitronic Dragon? Also would this open up the possibility for pyrotechnics in this Scarezone, I'm really excited for this Zone but I may just be excited for no reason, so any ideas or new info that is allowable?

Dragons. I see this being classic, medieval warriors (or dragon handlers) with some mcfarlane looking dragons.

Could it be they will look like this?

Anthro_Dragon_Costume_Wings_by_StraylightRevelation.png

Oh perhaps this?

Toothless-Astrid-Gemma-Nguyen-Hiccup-Riley-Newton-Nightmare-photo-credit-Todd-Kaplan.jpg

Or somewhere in between?

• Like 2

Casey, I believe he was teasing you.

Calm my friend. Actually your argument for HOS reminds me of what we were discussing previously. The GP's feelings about HOS vs HHN.

To them it's a competition, one must be better than the other. They don't compare and contrast and recognize the differences each park has to offer.

We see the possibility for difference that gives each park a unique feel. HOS can do all zombies. HHN not so much because each street is so different in appearance and theme. (Not HHN streets just the areas of the park are different)

This makes us wants variety. Things to fit with the ever changing scenery of the park.

None of us know how hordes will work. I'm hoping Lyn is right and it will be more like the 90's.

I've always found the props a distraction. I felt more detail and concentration was being put into the set pieces. Set pieces don't scare. For me it's always been about the scaractors.

I think of we let our scareactors have more leeway and creativity by not saddling them with specific scenery (less props means more improve, different tactics to produce a scare), we will see some fantastic scares.

I know I did in 98 and 99. I could watch them work for hours. And my greatest joy was watching the CDT clear the streets for the parade.

but we don't even get that many props to begin with. only a few zones get props, but scarezones at HHN don't even really get that many,

Grown evil had a couple of trees, and bats hanging, 2008 the zones didn't really have that many props, 2009 there were props, but not really that many, the Skoolzone had the bus and the house but that was it,

the only zones with a lot of props was in 2010, that was the only year that I remember seeing the streets full of props, every zone was crazy detailed.

and I think the best scarezones we have had, well for me at least, was 2010.

I'm just thinking, we don't get that many props really, zones never really have that many props to begin with, but for me they help a lot,

Great! Although I was Hoping something like this:

epic_dragon_slayer_2.jpg

Facing something like this:

I think I'm just getting WAYYYY to excited about this though lol

I would say something like this yeah, probably a mask and some armor, or maybe not even armor but bodies painted

Edited by black mask
  • Like 1

I know I can come across as an ass sometimes, but I personally would rather point out when something is wrong and explain as much as I can why its wrong then just let the people get stuck in false or limited ideas.

Isn't pointing out that these speculated opinions are "wrong" taking away from the whole purpose of speculation? And how is an opinion wrong to begin with? Why not just let people run with their false/limited ideas? If we take the speculation out of speculation, what's the point in even discussing the event until we know every detail.

The other event doesn't list them but I wouldn't think the GP here would understand. They would say things like "what is this? it's not listed on the map" Well why come to a event to avoid being scared.

Precisely! That's kind of the point of a horde...they show up unannounced and all. If the maps were to say "Horde in this location at 9pm"...that kind of loses the entire purpose of there even being one.

Yes and Yes. It's mardi Gras with Horror nights. I like the beads but especially the doubloons. I have at least one from every year. Plus its a good crowd pull although it can be an obstacle too if you don't want to see the parade.

I wonder if we will see the zones/hordes/whatever you want to call them.... evolve this year like last year. With the lack of thematic props, scare actor evolution might help it to stay fresh.

That's what many of us have been trying to say, only if they evolve the event will it continue to remain relevant and fresh. Using the horde concept could be the catalyst to changing up what we've gotten used to for so many years now. Few people remember the early days when the scarezone concepts weren't as distinct as they are now in their placement...it would be nice to see it go back to that more loosely designated type of local.

I'm going to be a pita (pain in the a$$, for anyone who doesn't know the term), but why can't we have a zone/horde in Plaza of the Stars/Production Central?

Reasons we can:

1 I'm alomst positive Hanna Barberra/Neutron was open with a horde near it in the 90's. At least I remember riding it at HHN in 98.

2 The entrance to the ride appears to be (haven't been since it's been open) at the traditional starting point of a zone. Just move the zone back a little.

3 I know T2 was open with a scarezone in Hollywood in 98.

Unless anyone wants to confirm that they have definitely heard Plaza as not being a zone, I don't think it hurts to speculate on it being used. Especially since I cannot really figure out another possible horde area in the park.

Yes, if memory serves me correctly you are right about the hoarde being close to the Hanna/Neutron area in the 90's, I just can't pinpoint what year it was either! It has been done in the past and it could very easily be done once again. And everyone needs to remember that a horde doesn't necessarily have to be massive to be effective. As I've said before, the smaller roaming groups work better because they can move easily in and out of tighter areas. And if you see a huge group of scareactors heading your way, it's a bit obvious as to what is going on.

• Like 1

Isn't pointing out that these speculated opinions are "wrong" taking away from the whole purpose of speculation? And how is an opinion wrong to begin with? Why not just let people run with their false/limited ideas? If we take the speculation out of speculation, what's the point in even discussing the event until we know every detail?

If speculation can include ideas with no basis, then what's the difference between that and Wishful Thinking? In my mind, the whole point of Speculating is to actually figure out what is happening. It's a sleuthing game, and is the only reason I read the boards even long before I joined them. But in figuring something out, that requires that there be a "right" answer. If not, than someone could come in here and say "Nightmare Before Christmas" will be a house because no one can be wrong, regardless of the truth.

Now, I want to reiterate that Lizz and Jimmy made two VERY REVEALING STATEMENTS about streets this year.

• Like 4

That's what many of us have been trying to say, only if they evolve the event will it continue to remain relevant and fresh. Using the horde concept could be the catalyst to changing up what we've gotten used to for so many years now. Few people remember the early days when the scarezone concepts weren't as distinct as they are now in their placement...it would be nice to see it go back to that more loosely designated type of local.

Well I meant more so a literal evolution of the characters. Like we saw in 7 last year... changing during the night.

If speculation can include ideas with no basis, then what's the difference between that and Wishful Thinking? In my mind, the whole point of Speculating is to actually figure out what is happening. It's a sleuthing game, and is the only reason I read the boards even long before I joined them. But in figuring something out, that requires that there be a "right" answer. If not, than someone could come in here and say "Nightmare Before Christmas" will be a house because no one can be wrong, regardless of the truth.

Now, I want to reiterate that Lizz and Jimmy made two VERY REVEALING STATEMENTS about streets this year.

Lol what did they say???

There really isn't much of a difference to me between this thread and the wishful thinking thread, in essence they are both speculating...with the only difference being wishful thinking is obvious concepts we know without a doubt won't happen, like "NIghtmare Before Christmas".

What i'm getting at is that unless people are completely over the top heading in the wrong direction like "They are going to give jet ski rides in the lagoon during HHN" kind of statements, the general speculating we see here isn't necessarily wrong at all. I realize that speculation is a sleuthing game, I've been going to this event since it's inception...and that's part of the fun, guessing what we might see.

I'm just not down with the blantant "you are wrong in your train of thought and/or opinion" mindset that seems to be running through this thread. :)

Well I meant more so a literal evolution of the characters. Like we saw in 7 last year... changing during the night.

Perhaps we could see this occur with hordes too. Starting off the night in one stage of evolution and finishing the night in the final. It would be interesting to see another scarezone concept like 7 with the same type of evolution as well...that was taking the zones into a different direction and required guests to walk through it multiple times if they really wanted to see the change happening.

• Like 1

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents into this discusson. As someone who is not a veteran to HHN forums, I can say that I avoid posting in the spec thread because there's a pretty good chance someone will just tear your post apart explaining how you are wrong and they are right and they know everything. I haven't seen too many posts that are just guesses based off nothing, and those I have seen are from people who are entirely new to this. You're right when you say the whole point of speculating is to figure the event out, but I think it should be an experience where everyone throws in their ideas based off clues or info. Not everyone is going to guess the right thing based off a clue. One subject or clue could mean so many things to different people. That's what makes it fun and interesting. Unfortunately there are a few that like to ruin it for everyone else, and turn speculating into a place to 'show off' how much they know by shooting peoples ideas down.

On that note I'm really liking the dragon pics, what if they had flying dragons? That would be amazing..

• Like 2

We have clues. The person who offered us these clues will neither confirm or deny.

You have said you will not confirm things.

Do tell us how we are suppose to know we are on the right track in speculation?

It is not wishful thinking. It is speculating on the known. Which is 8 statements from Dr. Jimmy.

So unless you wish to enlighten us, or provide better clues, then just saying wrong means little to nothing.

Or do we have to quantify each of our specs for you? This is why I think....I postulate this because.....Here is my essay written out stating my opinions, why I think they are right, all wrapped up in a conclusive paragraph...

Definition of speculation:

spec·u·la·tion  (spky-lshn)

n.

a. Contemplation or consideration of a subject; meditation.

b. A conclusion, opinion, or theory reached by conjecture.

c. Reasoning based on inconclusive evidence; conjecture or supposition.

• Like 3

I'm really late on all this stuff but here we go. I usally don't post here cause people on this forum can be mean and rip your ideas apart. I don't see what enjoyment people get out of being this way. Also I just did the survey and really let them know my dissapointment in this years website. Does anyone else think Dr. Jimmy's cryptic statement BCingU could mean I.C.U. for EDDIES return or am I just grasping at straws.

I'm really late on all this stuff but here we go. I usally don't post here cause people on this forum can be mean and rip your ideas apart. I don't see what enjoyment people get out of being this way. Also I just did the survey and really let them know my dissapointment in this years website. Does anyone else think Dr. Jimmy's cryptic statement BCingU could mean I.C.U. for EDDIES return or am I just grasping at straws.

Grasping at straws. I feel the reference people have made to The Prisoner make a lot of sense.

The movement the doc did seems to point to it. A prisoner zone/ horde would be nice.

Lol what did they say???

For ease sake, here are their posts:

There is a major clue in each post.

There really isn't much of a difference to me between this thread and the wishful thinking thread, in essence they are both speculating...with the only difference being wishful thinking is obvious concepts we know without a doubt won't happen, like "NIghtmare Before Christmas".

What i'm getting at is that unless people are completely over the top heading in the wrong direction like "They are going to give jet ski rides in the lagoon during HHN" kind of statements, the general speculating we see here isn't necessarily wrong at all. I realize that speculation is a sleuthing game, I've been going to this event since it's inception...and that's part of the fun, guessing what we might see.

I'm just not down with the blantant "you are wrong in your train of thought and/or opinion" mindset that seems to be running through this thread. :)

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents into this discusson. As someone who is not a veteran to HHN forums, I can say that I avoid posting in the spec thread because there's a pretty good chance someone will just tear your post apart explaining how you are wrong and they are right and they know everything. I haven't seen too many posts that are just guesses based off nothing, and those I have seen are from people who are entirely new to this. You're right when you say the whole point of speculating is to figure the event out, but I think it should be an experience where everyone throws in their ideas based off clues or info. Not everyone is going to guess the right thing based off a clue. One subject or clue could mean so many things to different people. That's what makes it fun and interesting. Unfortunately there are a few that like to ruin it for everyone else, and turn speculating into a place to 'show off' how much they know by shooting peoples ideas down.

On that note I'm really liking the dragon pics, what if they had flying dragons? That would be amazing..

While I can't speak for everyone. I do want to say that, unless someone is arrogantly wrong, I personally want to help. If I could without completely ruining sources, I would explain everything I know so far because, honestly, I'm starting to get really excited for elements of this year. Borderline jealous I'm not attending excited, but still eager to see how I could still be involved and how all of YOU react. That's why I rarely say someone is wrong with a reason to back it up. It's why I try to emphasize certain things and clues. I want people to figure it out. It's why Jimmy does what he does, too.

I know it sounds a bit callous, but my mantra is to learn from "being wrong." It's truly a game to me. It always has been. There are strategies and patterns of what to and who to listen to. I followed the Vault and Nightmares for years and figured it out. I want everyone else to as well. If I come across as a brazen SOB, I apologize, because that is, in no way, my goal. (Like I said, unless you are arrogantly wrong and say something is or isn't happening when evidence points to the contrary, like saying Penn and Teller is a "stupid rumor that isn't happening.")

We have clues. The person who offered us these clues will neither confirm or deny.

You have said you will not confirm things.

Do tell us how we are suppose to know we are on the right track in speculation?

It is not wishful thinking. It is speculating on the known. Which is 8 statements from Dr. Jimmy.

So unless you wish to enlighten us, or provide better clues, then just saying wrong means little to nothing.

Or do we have to quantify each of our specs for you? This is why I think....I postulate this because.....Here is my essay written out stating my opinions, why I think they are right, all wrapped up in a conclusive paragraph...

That's what I try to do. That's one thing I ALWAYS try to do, even though I know it typically amounts to a long post. That way when I do try correct or guide something I see as wrong or "off"; it doesn't come off as me strictly being an "insufferable know-it-all." There's a reason and logic for everything. In my mind, an argument tends to lose something without that.

(You and I don't see eye-to-eye on a lot of stuff, but we do tend to operate in that same manner of wanting evidence and logic.)

And while I will not directly confirm, I can say that I would go with except for when it's both.

Edited by King_K.