HHN 22 Speculation

Mr. Wesker gave the answer above, the streets of BG are smaller than at HHN, it was easier for them to do hordes, but it wont be as easy for us,

I'm just voicing my opinion. If hordes aren't going to work, and people are saying that we aren't getting traditional stationary scarezones, then what's going to work? I threw out my idea to you guys, and im wrong. So, what are we to expect this year with streets?

Casey

I'm just voicing my opinion. If hordes aren't going to work, and people are saying that we aren't getting traditional stationary scarezones, then what's going to work? I threw out my idea to you guys, and im wrong. So, what are we to expect this year with streets?

Casey

you are not wrong, it is just very different, the streets are very different,

but you are right at least I have no idea what we are getting, I Dont want to give any ideas because I don't know,

but a horde is not really going to work as well as in HOS, and everyone is hoping for amazing costumes, but with zombies, well, like I said, just dirty bloody people ( I wouldn't be surprised if they have no masks or special make up but just blood dripping...

You forgot one other thing that is usually spouted off instantly by the general public.... "rides". (although some of the "fans" fall prey to this as well). They forget the rides are there 365 days of the year (unless you're JAWS <_< ), but the houses/shows/SZs are not. However they go- "oh hey, ______ is open, lets go ride that instead of doing these houses right here with 15min wait". Then of course they complain when they didn't get to experience everything HHN had to offer. :rolleyes:

Some people, when they go to HHN, haven't rode all the rides, as they can live far away or never have a chance to ride them like some of us that live in orlando. Some times they only have this chance. not to disagree with you or anything

I know as soon as the gates open I Run and Jump in Rock it roller Coaster, I do that bad boy at least 2 times that night, I love it, and I never get to do it, so I do it when HHN opens,

last year I did it at least 20 times B)

Edited by black mask

Some people, when they go to HHN, haven't rode all the rides, as they can live far away or never have a chance to ride them like some of us that live in orlando. Some times they only have this chance. not to disagree with you or anything ;)

Oh i know... but thats what the daytime park hours are for :P But the good part is, only a few 'daytime only' attractions/shows are missed during the event hours. My suggestion though for those that can only go to HHN (and not the park during the day), get the houses done first before the rides. Save the show(s) for after the houses as well. If worried about lines, an express pass does wonders.

Oh i know... but thats what the daytime park hours are for :P But the good part is, only a few 'daytime only' attractions/shows are missed during the event hours. My suggestion though for those that can only go to HHN (and not the park during the day), get the houses done first before the rides. Save the show(s) for after the houses as well. If worried about lines, an express pass does wonders.

Yeah I always hit the houses first. But being at a theme park, I can never pass up an opportunity to go on the rides :lol:. I also love the idea of hordes, they worked great at HOS... Im sure that HHN will make it a big hit

Yeah I always hit the houses first. But being at a theme park, I can never pass up an opportunity to go on the rides :lol:. I also love the idea of hordes, they worked great at HOS... Im sure that HHN will make it a big hit

Yes! We need to give credit where credit is due. A&D can pull just about anything off. I have faith.

On the rides topic, I love that all of the gp ride the rides! Makes the house lines smaller. ;)

Casey

On the topic of rides (sorry its not speculation) but when you get a FFP with Express do you get to use the fast pass que for ride as well? I have completely forgotten if you can or not haha. I dont tend to go on the rides when im at HHN for some reason haha.

I think the only ride ive been on at HHN was Men in Black and The Mummy and thats because I did it at the start of the night so I literally just walked on haha

Edited by danrichard95

Yes! We need to give credit where credit is due. A&D can pull just about anything off. I have faith.

On the rides topic, I love that all of the gp ride the rides! Makes the house lines smaller. ;)

Casey

On some nights of HHN, It seems that the GP are more intrested in riding the rides and the wait for the houses were very short like 15 minutes and the rides for 30 minutes...more houses for me B)

that does not happen often, like barely though

if it does happen it is because it was a slow night, or there were not a lot of people in the park that day,

HOS pulled off roaming hordes pretty well last year, from what I've heard. So why should we be all up in arms about losing sets in the streets? Why is the gp going to complain about losing scarezones if they didn't complain at other events? I believe Universal is throwing a curve ball at us this year, and we will be going back to our roots. I think we've been selfish with our event, because, as the event grows, so do the sets, and the costumes, and everything is so elaborate.. But now that everything is possibly changing, everyone is at each others throats beween those who know, and those who don't, and its absolutely ridiculous. A&D never fails to surprise us, and I feel like we are in for a treat. So, calm down, speculate without aggression, and accept change!

Casey

I couldn't agree more Casey! I think we will see a very unique event this year. And like every other year, everyone gets their panties in a twist beforehand and then after attending a few times gushes about how much they love it. Roaming hordes could very well work at Universal, just like real estate it's all about location, location, location. (And shhhh, it's been done in the past...at this little thing called Fright Nights.) Part of A&D's job is to mix things up every year. And every year in some way, shape or form, they surprise us...I don't see this year being any different at all.

You have to keep in mind that Busch Gardens & UNI can NOT be compared as far as the parks go. The park doesn't have the wide "city streets" that are found in the Studios. You have the lush jungle/smaller paths at BG. So its easier for them to pull off a "park-wide" scarezone. The closest we have ever seen to an event (in the studios) being filled with scareactors is 2008 (6 scarezones, 3 hordes in a specific location), but there were still dead areas in the park. UNI isn't really throwing a curve ball, they're more dealing with the current park changes (ride/new land construction, daytime parade).

Other events? If you're referring to HOS, the difference is (as i stated above), the park is more or less filled with scareactors. Its not as noticeable. Plus, while the park was filled with zombies, they were all different "themed" to make them different, so it created variety. Along with the zombies all over the park, they also had people camouflaged in the plants/bushes.

I don't think Casey was comparing Busch Gardens and Uni park wise, he was merely "speculating" that hordes could be pulled of at the studios. If my memory serves me correctly, during Fright Nights when there weren't any set true set scarezone areas....scareactors roamed in large packs and scared guests. I would define that as a horde...but hey, that's just me. And whose to say they aren't throwing us a curveball? None of us, outside of those who work for Universal and are directly related to the event, know exactly what to expect. Uni could very well be throwing us a curveball, a spitball, a spitter and a two-seam fastball for all we know.

This IS the speculation thread isn't it? Why can't people speculate without others saying they are incorrect in their train of thought? That's like saying "Sure, this thread is talk about what you all think the event may entail...but whatever you think, it's wrong". :blink:

I need a drink when I attempt to read this thread....

You guys are right,

I mean, when You think about it, Path of the Wicked didn't even Have Any props, not really, the zones in 2008 did not have that many props, and they were still amazing, but it was because of the amazing costumes and great atmosphere,

but when you think zombies, even if they do a good job, at the end of the day it will still just be people in dirty clothes and bloody, so it wont be as breathtaking as the zones in 2008,

And whose saying zombies can't provide a great atmosphere? For me personally, you put enough of them in the right location and it's more realistic than flying monkeys.... ;)

I've been to both parks, I've been to both events, and I've worked at universal and will be working at Busch Gardens come September. Everyone keeps talking to me like Ive never been to the parks, or either events. I'm not stupid, and i will keep posting my speculations, even if im wrong. I know that the gp doesn't always run to the rides leaving houses open.. But it does happen. I know that the walkways are larger at universal than at bgt.. Because I've been to both too many times to count. Just because I do not post that often, it does not mean that I do not know anything. I've been on all of the boards since hauntfreaks.. I'm not new to this.. Speculation thread is more like a "defend yourself" thread..

Casey

Thanks Lyn! Everyone keeps saying im comparing the parks and events, but im not..

Casey

• Like 3

On the topic of rides (sorry its not speculation) but when you get a FFP with Express do you get to use the fast pass que for ride as well?

Yes, the FFP with express is also good for the rides.

The only exception is Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit. That was "blocked".

I couldn't agree more Casey! I think we will see a very unique event this year. And like every other year, everyone gets their panties in a twist beforehand and then after attending a few times gushes about how much they love it. Roaming hordes could very well work at Universal, just like real estate it's all about location, location, location. (And shhhh, it's been done in the past...at this little thing called Fright Nights.) Part of A&D's job is to mix things up every year. And every year in some way, shape or form, they surprise us...I don't see this year being any different at all.

I don't think Casey was comparing Busch Gardens and Uni park wise, he was merely "speculating" that hordes could be pulled of at the studios. If my memory serves me correctly, during Fright Nights when there weren't any set true set scarezone areas....scareactors roamed in large packs and scared guests. I would define that as a horde...but hey, that's just me. And whose to say they aren't throwing us a curveball? None of us, outside of those who work for Universal and are directly related to the event, know exactly what to expect. Uni could very well be throwing us a curveball, a spitball, a spitter and a two-seam fastball for all we know.

This IS the speculation thread isn't it? Why can't people speculate without others saying they are incorrect in their train of thought? That's like saying "Sure, this thread is talk about what you all think the event may entail...but whatever you think, it's wrong". :blink:

I need a drink when I attempt to read this thread....

And whose saying zombies can't provide a great atmosphere? For me personally, you put enough of them in the right location and it's more realistic than flying monkeys.... ;)

you bring some interesting points that make me wonder,

when you say Fright nights and "scareactors roamed in large packs and scared guests" what do you mean large packs? how many people was that?

it makes me wonder, because you bring a really good point, for this horde to work, there has to be a lot of actors, at least twice the mount, or even 3 times the amount of actors from a regular scarezone, I think that would be the only way it would really work, I mean, that would be effective and awesome, but, then it makes me wonder, if we are going to get a lot of actors like that, or not, a horde with not that many actors won't really work, and that's why I think they worked in HOS, because the streets were smaller, since the streets here are bigger, then more actors might be needed,

which is why I wonder how many were there for Fright nights,

same thing with the Path of the Wicked comparison, the reason that zone was so amazing to me was not because of how realistic it was, it was because of how amazing the costumes were, it didn't even had that many actors, it didn't have any props at all, yet I loved it, I loved the scarecrow so much,

while people with dirty clothes and blood on their mouths is more realistic, that doesn't mean is going to be awesome, I mean who knows, I'm just thinking, if we won't get props or sets, I Was hoping at least we got amazing costumes like in 2008,

but with zombies that is not likely

This is my thoughts on the scarezone thing, and forgive me...this is my first time thinking lol. Maybe the clues weren't the locations but the theme of the roaming hordes? I imagine it as the hordes setting up shop in several areas then rotating throughout the night. Like, when cast A of "hell is full" is done with their set in SINtral park, cast b of "when im serious" takes over the area. Along with light changing as well as music. Kinda like night maze on a scarezone level?

Now what do I win!

when you say Fright nights and "scareactors roamed in large packs and scared guests" what do you mean large packs? how many people was that?

it makes me wonder, because you bring a really good point, for this horde to work, there has to be a lot of actors, at least twice the mount, or even 3 times the amount of actors from a regular scarezone, I think that would be the only way it would really work, I mean, that would be effective and awesome, but, then it makes me wonder, if we are going to get a lot of actors like that, or not, a horde with not that many actors won't really work, and that's why I think they worked in HOS, because the streets were smaller, since the streets here are bigger, then more actors might be needed,

same thing with the Path of the Wicked comparison, the reason that zone was so amazing to me was not because of how realistic it was, it was because of how amazing the costumes were, it didn't even had that many actors, it didn't have any props at all, yet I loved it, I loved the scarecrow so much,

while people with dirty clothes and blood on their mouths is more realistic, that doesn't mean is going to be awesome, I mean who knows, I'm just thinking, if we won't get props or sets, I Was hoping at least we got amazing costumes like in 2008,

If memory serves me correctly, mind you this was 1991 so that was almost 22 years ago, the large pack contained probably only 8 to 10 scareactors. There wasn't two or three times the amount you would find in a scarezone today...but it was still an effective tactic simply because you had no clue where or when they would show up. I was working in guest services at the time and I even remember people coming in and saying they didn't like be followed by the scareactors or they wanted their money back because it was too intense. This was back when scareactors could follow you to the entrance of the bathrooms, restaurants, etc. From what I can remember, that only lasted the first year of Fright Nights, maybe into the second, because guests didn't like the intensity. A horde doesn't necessarily have to be massive to be effective. It's the element of surprise more than anything. At least in my book. If you've got this swarm of people heading towards you, well you know whats coming...but if the group is smaller, they are more mobile and can move in and out of areas easier. Bigger streets and bigger hordes, to me, that's obvious...it's the small groups that aren't as noticeable that can really lend themselves to the good scares.

With Path of the Wicked, the costumes were what made the scarezone. With zombies, obviously they don't require amazing costumes, it's a different frame of mind. Again, it's just merely my opinion, but if done in the right area with the right atmosphere (i.e. fog, music) zombies can prove to be fairly memorable as well.

That's what I meant in ny original post about "getting down to our roots." Before we had sz's with amazing sets.. We had hordes.. And it worked. Whose to say that if it worked before, that it can't work again? Isn't the CDT technically a horde? A large group of chainsw wielding maniacs that aren't in a central themed zone.. Yep, id call that a horde. And I remember back in XX when they started at the gates.. Then ended up in NY.. But NY is too wide for a horde.. So is central park, IFF area, Shrek alley, san Fran. Yep. Those areas are far too large for a horde.

Casey

Keep in mind that Fright Nights had 1 house (with a 3 hour+ waittime), and 2 HHN stage shows (Dr Frankensteins Theater at Beetlejuice/The Pendragons in Animal Actors), 17 street entertainment, plus all of its regular rides/shows.

So there was A LOT more in the streets in 1991. That should've been pointed out when bringing up the whole "Fright Nights had roaming hordes" aspect.

If memory serves me correctly, mind you this was 1991 so that was almost 22 years ago, the large pack contained probably only 8 to 10 scareactors. There wasn't two or three times the amount you would find in a scarezone today...but it was still an effective tactic simply because you had no clue where or when they would show up. I was working in guest services at the time and I even remember people coming in and saying they didn't like be followed by the scareactors or they wanted their money back because it was too intense. This was back when scareactors could follow you to the entrance of the bathrooms, restaurants, etc. From what I can remember, that only lasted the first year of Fright Nights, maybe into the second, because guests didn't like the intensity. A horde doesn't necessarily have to be massive to be effective. It's the element of surprise more than anything. At least in my book. If you've got this swarm of people heading towards you, well you know whats coming...but if the group is smaller, they are more mobile and can move in and out of areas easier. Bigger streets and bigger hordes, to me, that's obvious...it's the small groups that aren't as noticeable that can really lend themselves to the good scares.

With Path of the Wicked, the costumes were what made the scarezone. With zombies, obviously they don't require amazing costumes, it's a different frame of mind. Again, it's just merely my opinion, but if done in the right area with the right atmosphere (i.e. fog, music) zombies can prove to be fairly memorable as well.

that is really interesting, makes me wonder about that time, kinda wish I saw what they did

Keep in mind that Fright Nights had 1 house (with a 3 hour+ waittime), and 2 HHN stage shows (Dr Frankensteins Theater at Beetlejuice/The Pendragons in Animal Actors), 17 street entertainment, plus all of its regular rides/shows.

So there was A LOT more in the streets in 1991. That should've been pointed out when bringing up the whole "Fright Nights had roaming hordes" aspect.

17? Wow! yeah that makes me wonder, maybe they did have the numbers needed for a horde to work.

I am just thinking, with the size of the street it would be cool if they had more actors than usual, I would like a bigger number

I know this, I worked the event. That being said, if hordes could be done back then, doing them now wouldn't be any more difficult...especially considering there isn't as much in the streets as there was in the early days. The crowds may have increased, but the what is functionally out in the streets is zilch compared to then.