HHN 22 Speculation

I like the roaming hordes idea. It would be neat if there were ambush scenarios. Like you're just walking along and the lights go down, maybe an audio queue/music change, fog kicks up and you're swarmed by scaracters. Could be random, could be areas marked on the map as hazardous but not necessarily a zone.

• Like 1

I like the roaming hordes idea. It would be neat if there were ambush scenarios. Like you're just walking along and the lights go down, maybe an audio queue/music change, fog kicks up and you're swarmed by scaracters. Could be random, could be areas marked on the map as hazardous but not necessarily a zone.

You pretty much just described Silent Hill. Now whether or not Uni's thinking the same is something we'll have to wait and see.

That is an idea I can easily get on board with right there ;) Definitely reminds me of "Silent Hill" and would be a great way to integrate scareactors into the areas that are under construction right now.

This is a description of the event from the website :

On select nights September 21 – October 31, Universal Studios Florida® theme park is transformed into a nightmarish labyrinth of haunted houses, outrageous live shows, and electrifying scare zones while an army of mutants, monsters and maniacs roam the darkened studio streets.

To the general public I would think it says scare zones and roaming hoardes unless they plan on changing this wording.

Not that scare zones have to be elaborate, but stationary so they can be shown on a map.

I've been thinking about the "Free Falling" thing.. and I keep thinking of those scareactors who were on the bungies and swooping back and forth between buildings - was that 2010? i"m SO BAD with remembering what year was what, but I know it was 2009 or 2010.. Considering all the talk about how there won't be much room on the streets in certain areas, I had to think - well, can they do it with scareactors OFF the street? Maybe I'm way off.

I saw the bungie scare actors in 2008. It was the "Path of the Wicked." I am not sure whether or not they will include that this year, but it was in plaza in 2008.

It seems to me that, once upon a time, there were scarezones IN Central Park, not necessarily just the walkway between CP and Garden of Allah Villas. I don't recall a zone being in there the past few years - anyone know if there is a reason? I surely enjoyed the heavy fog and well hidden actors in there.

It seems to me that, once upon a time, there were scarezones IN Central Park, not necessarily just the walkway between CP and Garden of Allah Villas. I don't recall a zone being in there the past few years - anyone know if there is a reason? I surely enjoyed the heavy fog and well hidden actors in there.

Yes, they did that in 2000. I believe safety is an issue in there.

• Like 1

HOS pulled off roaming hordes pretty well last year, from what I've heard. So why should we be all up in arms about losing sets in the streets? Why is the gp going to complain about losing scarezones if they didn't complain at other events? I believe Universal is throwing a curve ball at us this year, and we will be going back to our roots. I think we've been selfish with our event, because, as the event grows, so do the sets, and the costumes, and everything is so elaborate.. But now that everything is possibly changing, everyone is at each others throats beween those who know, and those who don't, and its absolutely ridiculous. A&D never fails to surprise us, and I feel like we are in for a treat. So, calm down, speculate without aggression, and accept change!

Casey

• Like 2

HOS pulled off roaming hordes pretty well last year, from what I've heard. So why should we be all up in arms about losing sets in the streets? Why is the gp going to complain about losing scarezones if they didn't complain at other events? I believe Universal is throwing a curve ball at us this year, and we will be going back to our roots. I think we've been selfish with our event, because, as the event grows, so do the sets, and the costumes, and everything is so elaborate.. But now that everything is possibly changing, everyone is at each others throats beween those who know, and those who don't, and its absolutely ridiculous. A&D never fails to surprise us, and I feel like we are in for a treat. So, calm down, speculate without aggression, and accept change!

Casey

I think the fans of HOS and HHN are very different though,

because if they gave us the Forsaken this year, A repeat house, would people here be okay with that? people would throw a tantrum, but in HOS you get repeat houses every time,

so I don't know, different crowds,

what is even more funny is that Hollywood Does repeat houses, and people in Orlando Would still throw a fit if that were to happen

• Like 2

because if they gave us the Forsaken this year, A repeat house, would people here be okay with that? people would throw a tantrum, but in HOS you get repeat houses every time,

what is even more funny is that Hollywood Does repeat houses, and people in Orlando Would still throw a fit if that were to happen

Yes Id agree with this 100%. I remember last year when 'Saws and Steam' was released as a house people saying that it was a bit of a strange move and they werent sure how it was going to work out (in the end in my opinion I thought it was a pretty good house) but yeah I think there wpould be alot of angry/annoyed fans if there was a repeated 2 years in a row.

HOS pulled off roaming hordes pretty well last year, from what I've heard.

Why is the gp going to complain about losing scarezones if they didn't complain at other events?

You have to keep in mind that Busch Gardens & UNI can NOT be compared as far as the parks go. The park doesn't have the wide "city streets" that are found in the Studios. You have the lush jungle/smaller paths at BG. So its easier for them to pull off a "park-wide" scarezone. The closest we have ever seen to an event (in the studios) being filled with scareactors is 2008 (6 scarezones, 3 hordes in a specific location), but there were still dead areas in the park. UNI isn't really throwing a curve ball, they're more dealing with the current park changes (ride/new land construction, daytime parade).

Other events? If you're referring to HOS, the difference is (as i stated above), the park is more or less filled with scareactors. Its not as noticeable. Plus, while the park was filled with zombies, they were all different "themed" to make them different, so it created variety. Along with the zombies all over the park, they also had people camouflaged in the plants/bushes.

• Like 1

Why is the gp going to complain about losing scarezones if they didn't complain at other events?

I don't know, I think I'm with Black Mask here--HHN draws a different crowd. The scarezones are very much a part of HHN, just like the blinky cups and scantily-clad Jello-shot girls and the CDT. You ask a "layperson" (someone not on the HHN boards) what the event is all about, they'll mention the houses first, but two or three sentences in, it will be all about the chainsaws and the monsters in the street who walk right up to you. The GP has expectations of what HHN is.

I see a lot of the GP being disappointed if there isn't some form of a scare zone close to the entrance (ironically, despite all the gnashing of teeth online, I think most hard-core fans would ultimately grow to love something new and different). Look what happened last year when there was no photo-op with the icon--itself a new development of what, the last 4 or 5 years? Complaints flowed in, and a last-minute roulette wheel was added beside "7." Or the lack of chainsaws--one week in, Lady Luck's lackies made an emergency trip to Home Depot. Just fog and scareactors is probably enough, but I think the cast needs to be fairly well anchored in that area, which effectively makes it a "scare zone."

• Like 1

I wasn't necesarily comparing the two events . I just don't understand why roaming hordes wouldn't work at HHN? The only argument regarding hordes is "What about our sets?" and "The gp wont like that because they expect stationary zones with sets." I think we've been babied with our scarezones, and we all come to expect great sets with our scarezone when minimal sets/ roaming hordes can be just as effective. With scarezones you know where to go for your scares.. With roaming hordes you'll near know when a group of zombies or clowns are going to jump out at you. Id rather have an unexpected scare out of left field than "Oh, im in NY, according to the map there's chainsaws here.. Expect to see chainsaws." As for the repeat houses.. HHN has a bigger budget than HOS, and what HOS does works well for them. HHN can shell out the money for new houses every year, therefore we expect new houses. HOS obviously doesn't have the money to make it rain all over our asses, so they have to reuse houses. I enjoy both HHN and HOS, and that's because I don't walk into the event with preconcieved notions. If you walk into HHN this year saying "Omg, the streets are going to be amazing!" and then they don't have the street sets that youre used to.. Then you're going to be dissapointed.. Even though I think they will be able to do a wonderful job, and I'll still be pleased, there will still be the spoiled children who expect the same every year. Likewise with HOS. I've always enjoyed HOS, even with repeat houses, because I don't walk into the houses thinking that just because its a repeat house, then its going to suck. In fact, between HHN and HOS, Escape from Insanity is my all time favorite house.. And it was at HOS with multiple repeat houses. I think hordes will work at HHN, and I fully expect hordes at HHN this year with maybe two or three stationary zones. They can put the zones on the map, leave the hordes unmarked, and have a footnote telling you to watch your back as there's something lurking in every shadow.Casey

I went to HOS last year and was dissapointed in the roaming hordes. I must of just timed it wrong or went the wrong way around the park. I think I only went through two of them other than the bush/garbage can area. Though I am looking forward to what Universal will do this year with roaming hordes. With so many pathways and going multiple nights I am sure I will be impressed. HHN always blows my mind compared to other events.

• Like 1

Sorry, by the time I typed my response, there were already three more replies. I, however, still think that a mixture of zones and hordes can work. Have a zone inside the gates, one in central park/hollywood, one outside of disaster, and one in sting alley, with hordes in NY, Shrek alley, outside of amity, and outside of IFF. Maybe im just being ignorant.. :/

Casey

Casey

You have to keep in mind that Busch Gardens & UNI can NOT be compared as far as the parks go. The park doesn't have the wide "city streets" that are found in the Studios. You have the lush jungle/smaller paths at BG. So its easier for them to pull off a "park-wide" scarezone. The closest we have ever seen to an event (in the studios) being filled with scareactors is 2008 (6 scarezones, 3 hordes in a specific location), but there were still dead areas in the park. UNI isn't really throwing a curve ball, they're more dealing with the current park changes (ride/new land construction, daytime parade).

Other events? If you're referring to HOS, the difference is (as i stated above), the park is more or less filled with scareactors. Its not as noticeable. Plus, while the park was filled with zombies, they were all different "themed" to make them different, so it created variety. Along with the zombies all over the park, they also had people camouflaged in the plants/bushes.

I don't know, I think I'm with Black Mask here--HHN draws a different crowd. The scarezones are very much a part of HHN, just like the blinky cups and scantily-clad Jello-shot girls and the CDT. You ask a "layperson" (someone not on the HHN boards) what the event is all about, they'll mention the houses first, but two or three sentences in, it will be all about the chainsaws and the monsters in the street who walk right up to you. The GP has expectations of what HHN is.

I see a lot of the GP being disappointed if there isn't some form of a scare zone close to the entrance (ironically, despite all the gnashing of teeth online, I think most hard-core fans would ultimately grow to love something new and different). Look what happened last year when there was no photo-op with the icon--itself a new development of what, the last 4 or 5 years? Complaints flowed in, and a last-minute roulette wheel was added beside "7." Or the lack of chainsaws--one week in, Lady Luck's lackies made an emergency trip to Home Depot. Just fog and scareactors is probably enough, but I think the cast needs to be fairly well anchored in that area, which effectively makes it a "scare zone."

You guys are right,

I mean, when You think about it, Path of the Wicked didn't even Have Any props, not really, the zones in 2008 did not have that many props, and they were still amazing, but it was because of the amazing costumes and great atmosphere,

but when you think zombies, even if they do a good job, at the end of the day it will still just be people in dirty clothes and bloody, so it wont be as breathtaking as the zones in 2008,

Edited by black mask

You ask a "layperson" (someone not on the HHN boards) what the event is all about, they'll mention the houses first, but two or three sentences in, it will be all about the chainsaws and the monsters in the street who walk right up to you. The GP has expectations of what HHN is.

You forgot one other thing that is usually spouted off instantly by the general public.... "rides". (although some of the "fans" fall prey to this as well). They forget the rides are there 365 days of the year (unless you're JAWS <_< ), but the houses/shows/SZs are not. However they go- "oh hey, ______ is open, lets go ride that instead of doing these houses right here with 15min wait". Then of course they complain when they didn't get to experience everything HHN had to offer. :rolleyes: