HHN 22 Speculation

What do you mean by "mobile?"

B)

Well, just off the top of my head:

• Vehicles
  • Wheeled set pieces with locking mechanisms
  • Sets that are designed and built to be sectional, which can be brought out to the streets in pieces and then easily assembled/disassembled each night
  • Simple facades

On top of that, you can do projections or lasers (maybe onto the fog), simple mood lighting, and some speakers. All of which can be done with minimal physical interferance to the streets and sidewalks.

There are a lot of options available to create sets. There may be some limitations based on physical space and traffic flows, but there is still freedom to do some neat stuff.

To a guest, a zone include sets. To start saying, "We have zones here but hordes here," is cumbersome marketing and complicates the "message" to them.

If a guest is use to set-based zones, they will want everything in the streets as "set-based zones." Especially in Hollywood and New York. You preempt the confusion by not having sets in the streets at all.

This year is being forced to be somewhat retro. I firmly believe that looking at a time before set-based zones would be wise.

EDIT - I want to add that guests are idiots. It's not about symmetry; it's marketing. Everything has to be easily accessible.

Always remember that half the population is dumber than average.

Putting my dumb hat on and thinking of the statement "7 new haunted houses and 8 all new scarezones" or "7 new houses and 8 all new roaming zones" sound exactly the same.

Saying "7 new haunted houses and for the first time ever, 4 all new scare zones, and 4 roaming hordes that move throughout the park, truely meaning no place is safe" sounds exciting, different, and something I'd want to pluck my $87 dollars down for (again, have my stupid hat on so I'm paying full price for a ticket).

I'm in marketing and giving people what they expect is kinda good. But giving them something NEW and DIFFERENT in addtion to some of what they expect is usually golden and increases sales. And I, being naive, was sooooooo excited the year they said "the whole park is a scare zone" and that was horribly underwhelming...but it sure got me excited and were I to live locally in Florida and had never gone before, hearing that the ENTIRE park was going to be full of a thousand (in my stupid hat mind) scareactors following me into bathrooms and coming into giftshops and stuff, I'd surely have bought up a ticket ASAP.

• Like 2

I am sure we will be getting something in NY and Hollywood. I'm really hopeful that at least one of them will have at least a pack of Zombies roaming the streets. I can just think of how it would be with overturned cars or military vehicles that have gotten overrun. I have faith though in Uni that we will not be let down

lol I wouldn't hold my breath on that

Putting my dumb hat on and thinking of the statement "7 new haunted houses and 8 all new scarezones" or "7 new houses and 8 all new roaming zones" sound exactly the same.

Saying "7 new haunted houses and for the first time ever, 4 all new scare zones, and 4 roaming hordes that move throughout the park, truely meaning no place is safe" sounds exciting, different, and something I'd want to pluck my $87 dollars down for (again, have my stupid hat on so I'm paying full price for a ticket).

I'm in marketing and giving people what they expect is kinda good. But giving them something NEW and DIFFERENT in addtion to some of what they expect is usually golden and increases sales. And I, being naive, was sooooooo excited the year they said "the whole park is a scare zone" and that was horribly underwhelming...but it sure got me excited and were I to live locally in Florida and had never gone before, hearing that the ENTIRE park was going to be full of a thousand (in my stupid hat mind) scareactors following me into bathrooms and coming into giftshops and stuff, I'd surely have bought up a ticket ASAP.

Well said! It all comes down to the presentation.

Well, just off the top of my head:

• Vehicles
  • Wheeled set pieces with locking mechanisms
  • Sets that are designed and built to be sectional, which can be brought out to the streets in pieces and then easily assembled/disassembled each night
  • Simple facades

On top of that, you can do projections or lasers (maybe onto the fog), simple mood lighting, and some speakers. All of which can be done with minimal physical interferance to the streets and sidewalks.

There are a lot of options available to create sets. There may be some limitations based on physical space and traffic flows, but there is still freedom to do some neat stuff.

Awww... I'm kinda disappointed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you're stuck in the idea of the techs setting the sets up in the 45 minutes they get between park clear and open.

Here's the thing. Saying, "7 houses, 4 zones..." will immediately turn off the people who expect 8 and 6. Most returning guests may forgive only 7 houses, but fewer houses AND fewer zones? Why bother with the increase? Why bother going? The coda of "4 roaming hordes" won't mean a damn thing when all the guests are hearing is, "Fewer houses AND fewer zones."

At least saying, "7 houses and 8 [whatever they call them]" includes the number that has been associated with what is available for the past few years: "8."

Well said! It all comes down to the presentation.

Indeed it does... and simplicity does wonders.

The presentation this year may blow your minds.

• Like 2

I am sure we will be getting something in NY and Hollywood. I'm really hopeful that at least one of them will have at least a pack of Zombies roaming the streets. I can just think of how it would be with overturned cars or military vehicles that have gotten overrun.

Getting something in NY & Hollywood. - yes

overturned cars, military vehicles, zombies everywhere. - no. we already had this exact SZ in 2006 "Deadtropolis: Zombie Siege". Besides, this type of set detail isn't going to happen in NY (or Hollywood) due to the (daytime) parade.

If the zombies will be anywhere in a scarezone location, it'll most likely be outside of Disaster (San Francisco)

Awww... I'm kinda disappointed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you're stuck in the idea of the techs setting the sets up in the 45 minutes they get between park clear and open.

Well, first off, the attitude isn't really needed. We're all fans here. If you have some kind of inside information like you seem to be implying, then please share. Otherwise, I assume that everyone here is on the same page and knows the same things, and everyone's opinion is valid and equal, since this is a speculation thread.

As I said, those are off the top of my head. And if you combined some of those with minimal permanent set-ups (lights, fog machines, sound system, etc...), it could absolutely be done in under 45 minutes. But beyond that, if you're referring to perhaps the scare actors utilizing mobile props or driving themed carts or whatever, or things along that nature, that's also a possibility. My point is that large-scale, 20 foot tall encompassing environments or nothing at all are not the only two options available.

Here's the thing. Saying, "7 houses, 4 zones..." will immediately turn off the people who expect 8 and 6. Most returning guests may forgive only 7 houses, but fewer houses AND fewer zones? Why bother with the increase? Why bother going? The coda of "4 roaming hordes" won't mean a damn thing when all the guests are hearing is, "Fewer houses AND fewer zones."

At least saying, "7 houses and 8 [whatever they call them]" includes the number that has been associated with what is available for the past few years: "8."

That's not the case if you position your product as a "best value" or differentiated product option. People will be more forgiving about a drop in some things if you give some some new things they can't get anywhere else, or create different but equal value. Particularly if that's what you lead with.

The presentation this year may blow your minds.

Care to share, since you seem to know something?

I'm trying to reiterate, to everyone reading, really, that it's necessary to think outside of the box this year. Most of the talk about the streets so far has been trying to decipher locations or figure out how to do sets in conjunction with the parade. But that's trying to put so many things that we expect from a normal year in a year that is very, very far from normal. A&D has been put in the enviable position of having to completely adjust how they operate this year, but a majority of what I'm reading is, "They did it that way before."

We have no evidence that any of the initials for the streets are location based.

Traditional locations are unavailable for sets in the streets.

Two major pathways are under construction.

Why can't this year be something completely different? I really have the feeling, despite the grumbling, Universal is going to mess up and give us the best year ever.

• Like 1

I know we wont be getting sets in NY and Hollywood, I was just talking about potential. It may be "like" Deadtropolis but I didn't feel Deadtropolis was executed as well as it could of. You are right though, that would probably be in San Fran. I just can't imagine NY and Hollywood dead. I'm sure there will be some music, fog, and lighting but they have to have something... Chainsaw drill team.... something.... right?

Well, all this scarezone talk has finally pushed me to break my silence and actually respond! Hello again, all.

As I said, those are off the top of my head. And if you combined some of those with minimal permanent set-ups (lights, fog machines, sound system, etc...), it could absolutely be done in under 45 minutes. But beyond that, if you're referring to perhaps the scare actors utilizing mobile props or driving themed carts or whatever, or things along that nature, that's also a possibility. My point is that large-scale, 20 foot tall encompassing environments or nothing at all are not the only two options available.

I know we wont be getting sets in NY and Hollywood, I was just talking about potential. It may be "like" Deadtropolis but I didn't feel Deadtropolis was executed as well as it could of. You are right though, that would probably be in San Fran. I just can't imagine NY and Hollywood dead. I'm sure there will be some music, fog, and lighting but they have to have something... Chainsaw drill team.... something.... right?

I fully expect we'll see scareactors in both Hollywood and NY. I don't think anyone is suggesting that they'll be empty. The point is that these streets will require as minimal decorations as possible to accommodate the Parade. The Parade is their baby right now, and it's not going anywhere. As others have said, the Parade is massive and there will be NO room for props during the day.

I'm sure there will be lights and fog, as always. But, if you have roaming hordes of scareactors, why do you need sets or projections? The projections and sets might only fit a particular group's story, and then if a different horde is in the area, this wouldn't make sense. So if we're truly having roaming hordes this year, logic serves that our only decoration will be fog and lighting. Nothing else is necessary.

And that's what it comes down to, folks. They will do what's necessary. Going out of their way to spend the 45 minutes between park closing and HHN to set up projector stands or temporary sets just isn't necessary. Zones can be effective without sets, even though we all love and have come to expect them.

Legacy has said it's time to think out of the box, and I agree. It's time to change some expectations, and think of the potential roaming hordes could present for a "new" experience. Just - do so realistically. I, for one, am excited about the prospect of returning to the roots of HHN, like the first time I visited in 2001. Street decorations were minimal, but the fog was immense and all that was needed to scare me. Amity with clowns in it? Terrifying.

Removed a couple of posts that went off topic. Just as a reminder, let's all lose the insufferable know-it-all attitude and please keep speculation fun for everybody. Thanks!

Not to be an insufferable know it all, or even a sufferable one, let me just address the statement I think boogeyman made about those who may have inside knowledge "just telling us".

There's a good reason that I only make "cryptic statements" and another good reason that this time I will neither confirm nor deny any guesses.

Obviously those who know are hearing things from those who have signed Non-Disclosure Agreements. Hinting and making obscure clues won't put those people in jeopardy, openly saying things will.

But, all you out there are dying for some scrap of info, and I think it wouldn't be fair not to give you something, even if it is something cryptic that you have to try and figure out.

Also it makes the whole speculation thing a lot more fun. It builds anticipation, without out and out spoiling the whole thing. We wouldn't want to ruin all the fun and games before we even start playing them now, do we?

• Like 13

Not to be an insufferable know it all, or even a sufferable one, let me just address the statement I think boogeyman made about those who may have inside knowledge "just telling us".

There's a good reason that I only make "cryptic statements" and another good reason that this time I will neither confirm nor deny any guesses.

Obviously those who know are hearing things from those who have signed Non-Disclosure Agreements. Hinting and making obscure clues won't put those people in jeopardy, openly saying things will.

But, all you out there are dying for some scrap of info, and I think it wouldn't be fair not to give you something, even if it is something cryptic that you have to try and figure out.

Also it makes the whole speculation thing a lot more fun. It builds anticipation, without out and out spoiling the whole thing. We wouldn't want to ruin all the fun and games before we even start playing them now, do we?

I agree 100%, and completely respect that, Dr. Jimmy. And personally, I think you do it rather well. But there's a difference between making cryptic statements and having some fun with it, and having a god complex with other members of the board. I'm not a fan of members saying "you're wrong and silly for thinking that, and I know better...but I'm not going to tell you!" It's condescending and doesn't serve any purpose other than just being obnoxious.

Now, to get us back on topic, I've just been thinking of ways to modify things with minimal impact. But if we want to start getting crazy, I wouldn't mind seeing an entire park over run with scare actors. No safe zones, no dead areas, and a potential monster around every corner, or behind every bush. Throw on top of that roving vehicles with "shows" on them, either people being dismembered and maimed, or spraying "blood" on the audience, or some other sort of ghoulish delight. Throw entire areas of the park into blacklight or darkness and give scare actors black costumes with lights that they can turn on and off to get right up to a patron and then scare the bejeezus out of them. Now THAT would be something.

• Like 1

And that's what it comes down to, folks. They will do what's necessary. Going out of their way to spend the 45 minutes between park closing and HHN to set up projector stands or temporary sets just isn't necessary. Zones can be effective without sets, even though we all love and have come to expect them.

You bring up an exceptional point! Back when this event first started and well into the first several years after it became an "annual" event, there were no sets on the streets, no projections on the buildings, none of that fancy stuff. Just scareactors, maybe a random prop used to startle guests (think pennies in a tin can) and that was it...and it worked then, so much that this event is now going on it's 22nd year.

What I don't understand is why if someone knows something, get an attitude and mock others that don't We Obviously don't know anything, and some of you guys know, so mocking the people trying to guess the zones is just, well, silly,

I Don't mean to disrespect the sacred Norse Gods like Legacy or Wesker, I'm just saying, if people guessing are wrong or way off, well, it's because they don't know any better, But I do not dare angering the Gods.

so please Sacred Norse gods, please I ask for your forgiveness to them, they do not know what they speak about

What's sad is the above statement shouldn't even have to be made.

I don't care who supposidly knows what. There is NO reason for anyone to be an ass to anyone else. If someone knows something, goodie for them...but don't "hint" that you have information, then treat others like shit because they aren't in the know and are merely stating their opinions on what we may see this year.

So if some of you out there have information...that's fantastic. You can't share it? No problem. But remember this when you decide to go off on someone for having an opinion that doesn't match the information you know.

Think before you post. Be nice to others. Cause if not, I'll be the first one there to call your ass on the carpet about it... :jason:

:)

• Like 8

You bring up an exceptional point! Back when this event first started and well into the first several years after it became an "annual" event, there were no sets on the streets, no projections on the buildings, none of that fancy stuff. Just scareactors, maybe a random prop used to startle guests (think pennies in a tin can) and that was it...and it worked then, so much that this event is now going on it's 22nd year.

What's sad is the above statement shouldn't even have to be made.

I don't care who supposidly knows what. There is NO reason for anyone to be an ass to anyone else. If someone knows something, goodie for them...but don't "hint" that you have information, then treat others like shit because they aren't in the know and are merely stating their opinions on what we may see this year.

So if some of you out there have information...that's fantastic. You can't share it? No problem. But remember this when you decide to go off on someone for having an opinion that doesn't match the information you know.

Think before you post. Be nice to others. Cause if not, I'll be the first one there to call your ass on the carpet about it... :jason:

:)

that's what I was trying to joke about, I was just being silly with the God thing, a joke,

I mean I Agree

but, seriously if you know something why would you mock those that don't, seems weird, is like if I knew the plot of the movie the Avengers 2 , but I made fun of people trying to speculate about it, even thought they don't know anything about it

Edited by black mask

I agree 100%, and completely respect that, Dr. Jimmy. And personally, I think you do it rather well. But there's a difference between making cryptic statements and having some fun with it, and having a god complex with other members of the board. I'm not a fan of members saying "you're wrong and silly for thinking that, and I know better...but I'm not going to tell you!" It's condescending and doesn't serve any purpose other than just being obnoxious.

Now, to get us back on topic, I've just been thinking of ways to modify things with minimal impact. But if we want to start getting crazy, I wouldn't mind seeing an entire park over run with scare actors. No safe zones, no dead areas, and a potential monster around every corner, or behind every bush. Throw on top of that roving vehicles with "shows" on them, either people being dismembered and maimed, or spraying "blood" on the audience, or some other sort of ghoulish delight. Throw entire areas of the park into blacklight or darkness and give scare actors costumes with lights that they can turn on and off to get right up to a patron and then scare the bejeezus out of them. Now THAT would be something.

I know I can come across as an ass sometimes, but I personally would rather point out when something is wrong and explain as much as I can why its wrong then just let the people get stuck in false or limited ideas. My "disappointed" comment stemmed from the fact that, when I asked about "mobile," I truthfully hoped you would be thinking outside the box... and therefore be getting closer to the answer. And you actually did eventually. I didn't think you were silly, or your arguments or thoughts were silly (though, admittedly, the "if you know something, just say it," is a rote argument that pops up every year with little payoff). If people who knew stuff wanted Speculation to flounder we wouldn't say anything at all.

That said, you're suggestion might be too ambitious for Universal thus far. But I definitely think you're getting the right idea for an event "without limits."

My thoughts on the clues....

I have also incorporated the locations I fell best suit my guesses. 

Free-Falling - Vampires or Silent Hill. I can see how both could fit the clue. Also both of these possibilities could be achieved with minimal set design and still be immersive. NY streets

I've seen shit that'll turn you white - Ghosts. Depending on the thematic approach this would also need little to no set design. I have no idea if it's still possible, but this is the perfect zone/horde to incorporate the flying monkey effect. Production Central

There's no more room in hell - TWD/zombies. San Fran

Lampy swore he saw one - Dragons. Maybe a Chinese New Year theme. This could also be a very simplistic set design. Costuming would be far more important. Hollywood Blvd

I'll be seeing you - Escaped prisoners. MIB area would be a good location for this one. 

School's out for summer, but comes back in the fall - Traditional Trick or Treaters/Skoolhouse. Central Park/Mel's area

When I'm serious, sometimes I'm joking - Clowns. IFB, Kidzone or Simpsons. They could even roam between all three. 

Lollipop - CDT with the addition of females. Sting Alley. 

• Like 3

I know I can come across as an ass sometimes, but I personally would rather point out when something is wrong and explain as much as I can why its wrong then just let the people get stuck in false or limited ideas. My "disappointed" comment stemmed from the fact that, when I asked about "mobile," I truthfully hoped you would be thinking outside the box... and therefore be getting closer to the answer. And you actually did eventually. I didn't think you were silly, or your arguments or thoughts were silly (though, admittedly, the "if you know something, just say it," is a rote argument that pops up every year with little payoff). If people who knew stuff wanted Speculation to flounder we wouldn't say anything at all.

That said, you're suggestion might be too ambitious for Universal thus far. But I definitely think you're getting the right idea for an event "without limits."

I don't think is so much as coming across like an ass, but mocking them for being wrong and pounding them over the head for it. kind of lol,

I might be in the minority here, but I think there's been more hostility toward those that have information than those people have shown against others. At least in the most recent pages. Maybe I just read things differently than others, but it seems to me like some are extra sensitive to comments from them. I also find it off-putting when a moderator calls out people for being insufferable when I haven't seen any evidence of it, but whatever.

I don't think I'm sold on all of the "zones" being mobile, roaming groups. I can see all of the rumored groups being roaming except the traditional Halloween group. Maybe it's just the way I've pictured it, but it seems like that one could be so much better as what we would consider a "real" SZ with sets.

• Like 3

I've been thinking about the "Free Falling" thing.. and I keep thinking of those scareactors who were on the bungies and swooping back and forth between buildings - was that 2010? i"m SO BAD with remembering what year was what, but I know it was 2009 or 2010.. Considering all the talk about how there won't be much room on the streets in certain areas, I had to think - well, can they do it with scareactors OFF the street? Maybe I'm way off.

My thoughts on the clues....

I have also incorporated the locations I fell best suit my guesses.

Free-Falling - Vampires or Silent Hill. I can see how both could fit the clue. Also both of these possibilities could be achieved with minimal set design and still be immersive. NY streets

I've seen shit that'll turn you white - Ghosts. Depending on the thematic approach this would also need little to no set design. I have no idea if it's still possible, but this is the perfect zone/horde to incorporate the flying monkey effect. Production Central

There's no more room in hell - TWD/zombies. San Fran

Lampy swore he saw one - Dragons. Maybe a Chinese New Year theme. This could also be a very simplistic set design. Costuming would be far more important. Hollywood Blvd

I'll be seeing you - Escaped prisoners. MIB area would be a good location for this one.

School's out for summer, but comes back in the fall - Traditional Trick or Treaters/Skoolhouse. Central Park/Mel's area

When I'm serious, sometimes I'm joking - Clowns. IFB, Kidzone or Simpsons. They could even roam between all three.

Lollipop - CDT with the addition of females. Sting Alley.

I have to say sweetie, sounds like you've got some great guesstimations going on there in my book! I like the way your thinking on each of the clues so far...especially the "Lampy swore he saw one"...THAT could be interesting!

I might be in the minority here, but I think there's been more hostility toward those that have information than those people have shown against others. At least in the most recent pages. Maybe I just read things differently than others, but it seems to me like some are extra sensitive to comments from them. I also find it off-putting when a moderator calls out people for being insufferable when I haven't seen any evidence of it, but whatever.

I say as a forum we shoot for no one being hostile to anyone else, regardless of whether your are in the know information wise or just a fan who is speculating and offering up your own opinion.

And trust me, the insufferable posts, there have been many...enough to make you want to drink if you weren't already...frankly, I never need an excuse, but I'm just saying... :-)

• Like 7

I don't think Production Central will be used this year, since Despicable Me will be open for HHN. With such a new attraction operational there, I think they'll leave the space open.