HHN 22 Speculation

Ok, I'm going to admit something here with a bit of embarrassment: I know almost nothing about TWD other than two things. The first thing is that it involves zombies (...obvious thing is obvious), but the second thing is the thing of importance: that it has REALLY FREAKING AWESOME MAKEUP/SFX.

That's something I really hope we see replicated here.

Ok, I'm going to admit something here with a bit of embarrassment: I know almost nothing about TWD other than two things. The first thing is that it involves zombies (...obvious thing is obvious), but the second thing is the thing of importance: that it has REALLY FREAKING AWESOME MAKEUP/SFX.

If you haven't seen TWD season 1 is available streaming on netflix...not season 2 tho, but it will give you a good idea. Speaking of TWD I wonder if the CDC building, or at least that BIG room with the giant screen, could make an appearance, great set on TV, would love to see this recreated.

Edited by ivegonhick

well... while it wasn't "listed" on the event map, 2008 had the Zombies Drill Team in that area infront of the MIB giftshop. But as far as doing a SZ with some type of set design, it would be a little tough. The only reason i say this is due to:

- P&T house queue entrance

- Sprung Tent exit

- 2 side-by-side Bars

- snack/drink stand

- MIB giftshop exit

- smoking area

So while you could theoretically create some type of themed SZ within World Expo (the MIB portion), it would probably end up being a complete clusterf*ck. I would love to see an alien/futuristic themed SZ by MIB one day, but I would have to say that we will most likely only get a "themed group" of scareactors in the area like we did with 2008's zombies.

Absolutely, I would hate a zone back there but that's the only way I could see a P&T scarezone making sense. Was just throwing the idea out there because of how easy it would be for them to reuse props from the past two years. It got crowded enough with the B&T show dump and the Jaws house and add in a scarezone and it's a nightmare... unless thats the theme they're going for.. can't wait for the Massive Clutster F of Crowds From the Dead scarezone! :P

Realistically I don't think there will be a scarezone that far back unless it's a horde.

Edited by Coast

which is why i included that in the list of what an HHN lagoon show would include.... I haven't seen UCS since July 8th, but have they added lasers to UCS yet? I know they've added more "lighting"... but wasn't sure about the lasers...

As far as I know the lasers haven't been activated yet. And I'm not sure on this but the last one may not have been installed yet because of the London waterfront being built. If that's the case, I would expect it to come on line once that's done within the next month.

If you haven't seen TWD season 1 is available streaming on netflix...not season 2 tho, but it will give you a good idea.

Netflix shows that the Season 2 DVDs will be available on 8/28/12. I'm assuming it will also be available on streaming on or about that time. Still gives plenty of time to catch up before the event :)

• Like 1

Netflix shows that the Season 2 DVDs will be available on 8/28/12. I'm assuming it will also be available on streaming on or about that time. Still gives plenty of time to catch up before the event :)

This is a good thing, since I want to know what I'm going into when I go :D I'm a huge special effects fan, so, even if the show doesn't end up interesting me, the makeup sure as hell will.

As for Silent Hill, I'm already quite familiar with that.

Absolutely, I would hate a zone back there but that's the only way I could see a P&T scarezone making sense. Was just throwing the idea out there because of how easy it would be for them to reuse props from the past two years. It got crowded enough with the B&T show dump and the Jaws house and add in a scarezone and it's a nightmare... unless thats the theme they're going for.. can't wait for the Massive Clutster F of Crowds From the Dead scarezone! :P

Realistically I don't think there will be a scarezone that far back unless it's a horde.

the zone in 2008 was not great, the actors were great, but, there was too much light coming from the MIB store, and the stands selling food and alcohol, it was crowded and messy, I don't know I Felt it was a mess,

I Remember some people got scared, but other people passed by like nothing was going on, I don't remember that being a great zone, I kinda hope they don't put a zone there, it's just too crowded

Sure its crowded and it has its issues... BUT it provided that something extra the event lacks.... "street activity" in the back of the park. They need to do whatever they can because without a small group of scareactors doing their thing back there.... that half of the park is dead wasted space.

As for there being too much light... I don't necessarily agree with this because if you have the area too dark, you won't be able to see the scareactors (and lets face it, that kind of thing only works for SZs like "Nightmaze"). If anything, I'd say add atmospheric lighting into the central area for that extra touch.

The lack of wasted space in the park for streets is a recurring issue and one that UNI refuses to address. A&D knows its an issue, but they can only do so much to make more happen. I'd rather have a few scareactors in an awkward area like (MIB) World Expo than nothing at all.

Sure its crowded and it has its issues... BUT it provided that something extra the event lacks.... "street activity" in the back of the park. They need to do whatever they can because without a small group of scareactors doing their thing back there.... that half of the park is dead wasted space.

As for there being too much light... I don't necessarily agree with this because if you have the area too dark, you won't be able to see the scareactors (and lets face it, that kind of thing only works for SZs like "Nightmaze"). If anything, I'd say add atmospheric lighting into the central area for that extra touch.

The lack of wasted space in the park for streets is a recurring issue and one that UNI refuses to address. A&D knows its an issue, but they can only do so much to make more happen. I'd rather have a few scareactors in an awkward area like (MIB) World Expo than nothing at all.

no I know what you mean, what I meant is that, there is more space in front of the simpsons for example, or between the Simpsons and the animal actors show, that area could work for a zone, there is a lot of dead space between the Simpsons and the animal actors, and I never understood why they never do anything there, there is some space and that area is dead anyway, there is no ride open or anything (besides the Simpsons for course,

but having a zone right in front of MIB was what looked bad for me, I don't understand why they couldn't have the zombies a little more towards the simpsons side, like you said, that area has the exit for the house, the exit for MIB and the street vendors, there is too much going on already,so adding a zone there seems too much already, and from the exit to Jaws (where it used to be anyway) to the MIB ride that part is usually crowded, really crowded, but the other back part of the part is usually empty, I never understood why they have to leave that part of the back of the park empty, not even the restaurant with the movie posters in that part is open ,

they wouldn't need to put the zone right where MIB and the entrance of the tent house is, that's what I'm saying,

is there a reason they cannot use the space between Simpsons and the animal actors show?

Ah yes... the Simpsons ride... aka- The Krustyland area of World Expo...

I'm glad you brought this up... I get to throw in a small bit of "wishful thinking"/"bitching" (yes this applies to both). Ever since the Simpsons opened in 2008, with its wonderful (okay tacky and not-so "institute of future technology") facade I have always felt like there has been a missed opportunity with this area during HHN (minus 2009, to an extent). Back in 1995, HHN debuted the "Midway of the Bizarre" scarezone located in Amity. And it returned every year after that for a total of 7 years in a row. It was filled with thick fog and scared the crap out of people, I'm sure if you ask any of the seasoned vets on here, that got to experience this scarezone, they will tell you it was "one of a kind", compared to todays SZs. Now MOTB returned in 2004, but nothing like its previous Amity brethren that came before it...

If you haven't caught on to why I brought up a scarezone that was an 8 year "tradition" at the HHN, let me enlighten you. So as Black Mask pointed out, there seems to be quite a bit of space around the Simpsons ride (specifically in front of it). Well since the ride facade is a giant clown head & midway game booths... this would seem like the most logical location to resurrect an old "tradition" and present it in a new way. The surrounding area can easily be decorated with Midway/Carnie style props for the added set design. Sounds great huh?...

Here lies the potential problem with this half of World Expo... that perfect area is located in front of a ride. I'm sure many of you have noticed that the scarezones located on the left side of Mummy "end" a little bit from the queue entrance. My guess is, the same issue is most likely the reason no scarezone has been put in front of the ride (even if it would fit in with the rides theme). I personally think the scarezone & ride can co-exist, BUT we have a new "potential" problem with this area ever seeing a scarezone...

If you take a look here:

You will see that work has begun to install real midway games. Gone are the fake game booths and soon to appear are real ones to make the area even more "authentic" and carnie-like. So with these 8 new games being added, it will most likely make it more difficult to ever see a themed scarezone (or even a scareactor group) within this area of the park.

For the record- Killer Klownz From Outer Space would be a kickass scarezone theme to have in World Expo, spanning the two areas (MIB giftshop exit and Simpsons entrance)

Of course, if you have a spare $70 laying around, this is the way to go :)

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Complete-Limited-Blu-ray/dp/B007MS5B6Q

The first season's Limited Edition came with a mask and it wasn't worth anywhere near the $100MSRP. But the first season does have a Special Edition 3 Blu-Ray set that can be found online for about $30 and is worth every penny (the regular edition can be found on sale for $20 from time to time)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Walking-Dead-The-Complete-First-Season-Blu-ray/26798/#Review

The Special Edition and regular editions are available on DVD as well, but I don't think they made the Limited Editions for them (I could be wrong)

Ah yes... the Simpsons ride... aka- The Krustyland area of World Expo...

I'm glad you brought this up... I get to throw in a small bit of "wishful thinking"/"bitching" (yes this applies to both). Ever since the Simpsons opened in 2008, with its wonderful (okay tacky and not-so "institute of future technology") facade I have always felt like there has been a missed opportunity with this area during HHN (minus 2009, to an extent). Back in 1995, HHN debuted the "Midway of the Bizarre" scarezone located in Amity. And it returned every year after that for a total of 7 years in a row. It was filled with thick fog and scared the crap out of people, I'm sure if you ask any of the seasoned vets on here, that got to experience this scarezone, they will tell you it was "one of a kind", compared to todays SZs. Now MOTB returned in 2004, but nothing like its previous Amity brethren that came before it...

If you haven't caught on to why I brought up a scarezone that was an 8 year "tradition" at the HHN, let me enlighten you. So as Black Mask pointed out, there seems to be quite a bit of space around the Simpsons ride (specifically in front of it). Well since the ride facade is a giant clown head & midway game booths... this would seem like the most logical location to resurrect an old "tradition" and present it in a new way. The surrounding area can easily be decorated with Midway/Carnie style props for the added set design. Sounds great huh?...

Here lies the potential problem with this half of World Expo... that perfect area is located in front of a ride. I'm sure many of you have noticed that the scarezones located on the left side of Mummy "end" a little bit from the queue entrance. My guess is, the same issue is most likely the reason no scarezone has been put in front of the ride (even if it would fit in with the rides theme). I personally think the scarezone & ride can co-exist, BUT we have a new "potential" problem with this area ever seeing a scarezone...

If you take a look here:

You will see that work has begun to install real midway games. Gone are the fake game booths and soon to appear are real ones to make the area even more "authentic" and carnie-like. So with these 8 new games being added, it will most likely make it more difficult to ever see a themed scarezone (or even a scareactor group) within this area of the park.

For the record- Killer Klownz From Outer Space would be a kickass scarezone theme to have in World Expo, spanning the two areas (MIB giftshop exit and Simpsons entrance)

I see, well, if they put games there that would be really really cool, I never liked the fake games facade,

I guess they could not put a zone there, (that midway of the bizarre sounds really interesting, are there pictures or videos of that? makes me wonder)

but, if they cannot put a scarezone in front of the Simpsons, which I get what about the space between the Simpsons and the Animal Actors show, that is a lot of dead streets that could be used instead of the front of the MIB store, was there ever a reason why that back of the park is dead?

like i said, the restaurant with the movie posters doesn't even open, and there are not a lot of vendors there either, it is really dead

but, if they cannot put a scarezone in front of the Simpsons, which I get what about the space between the Simpsons and the Animal Actors show, that is a lot of dead streets that could be used instead of the front of the MIB store, was there ever a reason why that back of the park is dead?

like i said, the restaurant with the movie posters doesn't even open, and there are not a lot of vendors there either, it is really dead

You mean where they put Canyon of Lost Souls last year? I assume you're referencing the International Food Bazaar as the restaurant.

There's a couple of reasons why that area is somewhat limited in what they can do, but there are typically concessions/face-painting booths in that area. Those are a higher priority than scarezones. There's also the closeness to the steps that lead down to the lagoon that, if an idiot guest goes running down them, can lead to safety issues.

And TRUE Midway of the Bizarre was Amity with fog and clowns. The 2004 Midway was a completely different beast.

You mean where they put Canyon of Lost Souls last year? I assume you're referencing the International Food Bazaar as the restaurant.

There's a couple of reasons why that area is somewhat limited in what they can do, but there are typically concessions/face-painting booths in that area. Those are a higher priority than scarezones. There's also the closeness to the steps that lead down to the lagoon that, if an idiot guest goes running down them, can lead to safety issues.

And TRUE Midway of the Bizarre was Amity with fog and clowns. The 2004 Midway was a completely different beast.

that makes sense,

yeah I don't know what the name of that restaurant is, specially since it is never opened during HHN, lol

you should really catch up, the first season is only 6 episodes, even if you only watch that,

people that don't watch this show are really missing out

that makes sense,

yeah I don't know what the name of that restaurant is, specially since it is never opened during HHN, lol

I'm jumping ahead of Chris who would respond to this in his usual way, so that this can be answered nicely.

The International Food Festival was open last year at HHN, I know this because I ate there interestingly enough with Chris, Charles and JW Kent.

The food was awful, I recomend eating elsewhere if you get hungry at HHN. Mel's is good as is Finn's and really the best deals were the food booths around the New York area. IDK how that will work out that year, with construction going on behind Monsters and the Parade routes and all... but I'm sure they will find a place to put that sort of thing somewhere as Universal never passes up an opportunity to make a buck. There was some awesome deep-fried thing last year that was like a heart attack on a stick.

• Like 2

I'm jumping ahead of Chris who would respond to this in his usual way, so that this can be answered nicely.

The International Food Festival was open last year at HHN, I know this because I ate there interestingly enough with Chris, Charles and JW Kent.

The food was awful, I recomend eating elsewhere if you get hungry at HHN. Mel's is good as is Finn's and really the best deals were the food booths around the New York area. IDK how that will work out that year, with construction going on behind Monsters and the Parade routes and all... but I'm sure they will find a place to put that sort of thing somewhere as Universal never passes up an opportunity to make a buck. There was some awesome deep-fried thing last year that was like a heart attack on a stick.

that is interesting, I don't remember seeing it open,

and about the food, I don't usually eat at HHN, I mean I do sometimes, but I usually get a slice of Pizza or a churro, and I usually eat in front of the Twister store, the vendors that are in the street,

the only restaurant I like (More like LOVE) is the Monsters cafe,

which makes me wonder what will they do with all the stuff inside when they change the restaurant,

but yeah I totally missed out on that other restaurant being open

that is interesting, I don't remember seeing it open,

and about the food, I don't usually eat at HHN, I mean I do sometimes, but I usually get a slice of Pizza or a churro, and I usually eat in front of the Twister store, the vendors that are in the street,

the only restaurant I like (More like LOVE) is the Monsters cafe,

which makes me wonder what will they do with all the stuff inside when they change the restaurant,

but yeah I totally missed out on that other restaurant being open

Ok, I don't live in Florida, so I'm only at UOR a few times per year.. obviously, one of those times being for HHN. So, I really on reading all your posts to know what's going. I haven't read all 92 pages of this.. so forgive me if this was addressed elsewhere.. but, am I to infer from this post that they are CLOSING Monsters Cafe?? If so, can I go on record saying that completely sucks dirty ass?

As for the topics at hand - if the Simpsons ride was closed during HHN, couldn't they put a cool SZ in front of it? I mean, really, how important is it to have that ride open? I've often thought it was a great spot for a SZ.. a natural, really, with the big clown head right there.

You all are talking about wondering about ONE house only.. I know "officially" four have been announced, and I see speculation that one might be a "classic" house.. what's the speculation again on the other? Just an overall idea., please. As for the "classic" idea - I read discussion earlier where someone (I forget who, my apologies) was talking about how fantastic Dracula and Wolfman were in 2009, and I screamed an audible YES in agreement. I so hope something like that will be part of this year's event. I probably went thru Wolfman 8 times in the 2 nights I visited.

• Like 2

Ok, I don't live in Florida, so I'm only at UOR a few times per year.. obviously, one of those times being for HHN. So, I really on reading all your posts to know what's going. I haven't read all 92 pages of this.. so forgive me if this was addressed elsewhere.. but, am I to infer from this post that they are CLOSING Monsters Cafe?? If so, can I go on record saying that completely sucks dirty ass?

It's possible/likely. With the construction of Transformers, Monster's Cafe may be getting rethemed to match the ride. One of the other versions (I believe Singapore) has a restaurant with the ride.

As for the topics at hand - if the Simpsons ride was closed during HHN, couldn't they put a cool SZ in front of it? I mean, really, how important is it to have that ride open? I've often thought it was a great spot for a SZ.. a natural, really, with the big clown head right there.

To haunt fans? No. Losing any of the rides wouldn't be a huge loss. For the General Public, however, the rides have to be there and be open; especially a popular one like The Simpsons.

You all are talking about wondering about ONE house only.. I know "officially" four have been announced, and I see speculation that one might be a "classic" house.. what's the speculation again on the other? Just an overall idea., please. As for the "classic" idea - I read discussion earlier where someone (I forget who, my apologies) was talking about how fantastic Dracula and Wolfman were in 2009, and I screamed an audible YES in agreement. I so hope something like that will be part of this year's event. I probably went thru Wolfman 8 times in the 2 nights I visited.

The "classic" idea is the only questionable house at this point. That is because, when it was initially rumored, it hadn't been approved yet and we do not know if it WAS approved. With the new addition of the Parade building, it's possible we may see it (because it's a fairly cheap idea). However, we really know nothing on the seventh house.

Right with transformers going in the cafe will be rethemed.

Well with the new Midway games going in there I doubt e will see anything there.

Gargolye house, Victorian Ghost house and.. Unknown.. Was to be the DE-like house but remains up in the air.

Edit: haha yeah what Legacy said :P