HHN 22 Speculation

Common misconception about HHN... it has never really been about the scares. The event at its core is one big halloween party. It always has been & always will be. Its main objective is to entertain. Scares come second because not everyone is going to find the same thing scary. Just because it has "fright" or "horror" in the name, doesn't mean it is required to provide such. Over the years it has expanded to provide more "chills than thrills" (depending on the year), but again, since people differ, the event will always cater to "fun".

I think I have to respectfully disagree with you on this, Wesker. While I agree that the event is there to entertain, that entertainment is done through fear and scares, which results in "fun." Those aren't secondary objectives. As you mentioned, just because you don't find a particular house scary, it doesn't mean other people don't either. That's the beauty of this event. Every year they let you pick your poison, so to speak.

There are certain physiological reactions that pretty much everyone has to surprise stimuli, whether you're aware of it or not. Sure there are non-scary parts of the event, but that's needed to make the scares more effective. Constant "terror" will cause the victim to eventually deaden to it. It's why horror films aren't constantly throwing scares at you every 30 seconds. The body needs time to come down from the scare to fully feel the next one.

That being said, it's not the Disney Halloween event. There's a reason why we don't get all dark comedy houses in a single event. There are still scare zones and haunted houses that utilize boo holes, scare actors, and other devious devices to get your blood curdling. And that release of adrenaline in a safe environment is what gets people having a good time. It's why thrill parks exist in the first place. If Universal was interested in just throwing a big Halloween party, there are less dramatic, and less expensive, ways to go about it.

• Like 6

I think I have to respectfully disagree with you on this, Wesker. While I agree that the event is there to entertain, that entertainment is done through fear and scares, which results in "fun." Those aren't secondary objectives. As you mentioned, just because you don't find a particular house scary, it doesn't mean other people don't either. That's the beauty of this event. Every year they let you pick your poison, so to speak.

There are certain physiological reactions that pretty much everyone has to surprise stimuli, whether you're aware of it or not. Sure there are non-scary parts of the event, but that's needed to make the scares more effective. Constant "terror" will cause the victim to eventually deaden to it. It's why horror films aren't constantly throwing scares at you every 30 seconds. The body needs time to come down from the scare to fully feel the next one.

That being said, it's not the Disney Halloween event. There's a reason why we don't get all dark comedy houses in a single event. There are still scare zones and haunted houses that utilize boo holes, scare actors, and other devious devices to get your blood curdling. And that release of adrenaline in a safe environment is what gets people having a good time. It's why thrill parks exist in the first place. If Universal was interested in just throwing a big Halloween party, there are less dramatic, and less expensive, ways to go about it.

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY...thank you boogeyman i couldn't say it better myself. Haunted houses are not "party central" kind of experiences...minus a few exceptions...I believe Wesker is way off base on the Halloween party comment...Maybe it was a party in '91...but its evolved to much more then that

So.....Silent hill...Finale of the house?

Edited by ivegonhick

Thank you, thank you so much. We are all here to have fun not to fight over technical details.

However, I am actually a Norse God of Halloween Horror Nights. But you don't have to worship me unless you want to.

I worship the Doctor ;)

we shall form a Cult of Dr. Jimmy

Common misconception about HHN... it has never really been about the scares. The event at its core is one big halloween party. It always has been & always will be. Its main objective is to entertain. Scares come second because not everyone is going to find the same thing scary. Just because it has "fright" or "horror" in the name, doesn't mean it is required to provide such. Over the years it has expanded to provide more "chills than thrills" (depending on the year), but again, since people differ, the event will always cater to "fun".

I don't go to get scared, I go to see what an amazing job Universal and the scareactors have done. The scares are awesome and definitely adds to it, but that's not the reason I love the event.

if this was true....

if this was really true...

people would have not been so Angry and Furious about the scarezones in 2010, practically the whole reason 2011 scarezones we couldn't take pictures was because of all the complaining no?

2010 had probably the best zones I've seen, the best sets at least, 2010 was completely amazing street wise, it was perfect, you had all the icons, and each icon had their own little "room" outside,

you had all the characters, the Wolfman, Frankenstein's monster,

It really was "Halloween Party" I personally thought it was amazing, I could agree that people abused the photo taking,

but it was great,

then What happened.... People complained and complained how they were not "scared on the streets" while I can understand that everyone wants to get scared, It was like no one appreciated any of the work in the street, people complained so much, no one really spoke of how great the sets were,

While I agree that HHN is not about the scares, it is more about halloween and horror in general, That did piss me off, because they did a great job in the streets, but it seemed people just wanted to get "scared"

the most ironic thing, is that some of the people complaining, Like on Facebook, Had Pictures with the Icons, they took pictures with all the Icons and all the characters, took pics in All the zones,

then went on facebook to complain how Esqueleto Muerte was not scary, how the icons where not scaring them, how the actors were not scary enough, which I didn't understand,

anyways, The event is not for scares only, But I think a lot of people, more than half of the people going, expect to be scared on every corner, every house, every street zone,

the complaining of 2010 pretty much reflected that.

Edited by black mask
  • Like 3

Sorry to take away from thread.

It amuses me that we go threw the same cycle year after year. Every year it the same thing this year is going to suck because of X,Y,Z but every year the people complaining keep going and end up enjoying the event. Why do we have to keep repeating this cycle year after year? Sure some years are not that great but they are never horrible.

In the past 17 years I have been "scared" once by a rock cammo guy in IOA back in 2003 or 2004. However I still go to the event because I have have fun watching the people who do get scared when they are chased by a scare actor. The only year I deem bad in my mind was 2007 due to the lack of scare zones which was not even Uni fault it was Newlines fault. But you know what I went back in 2008 and that year was awesome year. (probably one of my favorite)

... So Can we please put an end to the endless cycle of "This year is gonna suck because X,Y,Z" and get back to speculating.

*get off soapbox*

Edited by darkdelusions
  • Like 1

Posts complaining about the complaining? That's some inception stuff, right there.

In serious matters, let's get back to speculation, please. Thanks!

On the subject of the "Gargoyles" house, I wonder if they will be pulling some gargoyle elements from the PS1 horror-survival game, Nightmare Creatures.

Below are some pictures of concept art / screenshots of gargoyles within the game.

gargoyle.jpg

i_ncrea4.jpg

nightmare_creatures.jpg

like i said before.... 90s Cartoon gargoyle cameo of some kind... needs to happen

the question is.. will there be humans or will the house only be winged creatures of the night, stone statues by day?

I kinda hope the house only have gargoyles, and bats,or other things, not humans, we are going to have enough humans on the other houses as it is,

I kinda hope this house is for creatures only, I wanna see some cool costumes, cool designs,

Edited by black mask
  • Like 3

^Maybe they could reuse costumes from Grown Evil.

I think they will, I'm pretty sure they might, totally fits the house, I hope they do, I would like to see how the bats behave in a house with boo holes, I wonder if they will be more scary that way,

I just hope there are no human characters

On the subject of the "Gargoyles" house, I wonder if they will be pulling some gargoyle elements from the PS1 horror-survival game, Nightmare Creatures.

Funny you mention that game... specifically.. because in 2000 at BOTH Orlando (KONG) & Hollywood (scarezone) featured "Nightmare Creatures II"

Well, it just made me think that if they used the basis from the game(s) once before, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt if they would want to pull some certain elements from it to make something new out of it.

Not to take away from Speculation, but... just to throw another two cents out there, HHN is predominantly startle scares. As both a scare-actor and a guest, that's what I've observed the most over the past 4 years. And In all seriousness, I’ve startle MYSELF multiple times over the years on set, in costume. It’s a lot of noise, light, and motion for your brain to try to process through a latex mask/prostatic and or a pound of airbrush. I scare easy though, like the majority of the general public, and at the end of the day the general public is who Universal unfortunately has to cater to. For them, HHN scares are no different than a jumpy part in a horror movie. Instead of “Ride the Movies” it’s “Live the Movies” for them when they go to this event, hence the existence of IP mazes. There will always be some legitimate/complicated scares, but adversely there will always be more startles and cheap thrills. The streets, to me, and some houses like Scary Tales and Winter’s Night, are "beautiful" scares: you’re meant to take in and really enjoy the hard work that A&D and Costuming have done. Finally, I can understand why some people who want more aggressive or raw scares get frustrated with the event; it’s really hard to be frightened when you’re in a conga line of people and all the actors are trained to scare and then immediately retreat. It’s also hard to linger and really interact with guest when in the back of your mind you know that a lot of these people are here for one reason only, and that’s to get drunk and harm you.

Dead Exposure mechanics with characters that would fit this year and make the house a "classic."

Oh ok. We were calling that the "dead exposure" house last i remember!!! Damn Im confused!

Well if HHN gives me a Classic Monsters House I will be the happiest MFer in the park!!!!!!

Not to take away from Speculation, but... just to throw another two cents out there, HHN is predominantly startle scares. As both a scare-actor and a guest, that's what I've observed the most over the past 4 years. And In all seriousness, I’ve startle MYSELF multiple times over the years on set, in costume. It’s a lot of noise, light, and motion for your brain to try to process through a latex mask/prostatic and or a pound of airbrush. I scare easy though, like the majority of the general public, and at the end of the day the general public is who Universal unfortunately has to cater to. For them, HHN scares are no different than a jumpy part in a horror movie. Instead of “Ride the Movies” it’s “Live the Movies” for them when they go to this event, hence the existence of IP mazes. There will always be some legitimate/complicated scares, but adversely there will always be more startles and cheap thrills. The streets, to me, and some houses like Scary Tales and Winter’s Night, are "beautiful" scares: you’re meant to take in and really enjoy the hard work that A&D and Costuming have done. Finally, I can understand why some people who want more aggressive or raw scares get frustrated with the event; it’s really hard to be frightened when you’re in a conga line of people and all the actors are trained to scare and then immediately retreat. It’s also hard to linger and really interact with guest when in the back of your mind you know that a lot of these people are here for one reason only, and that’s to get drunk and harm you.

Biggest scare I got at HHN21 was at Night Maze... and that was the worst SZ probably ever!!!!