HHN 22 Speculation

I'll be honest, I'm not looking too forward to this year. I feel like we are turning into HHN Hollywood. I'm not trying to be rude when i say that, but i feel like Orlando has always done great coming up with original house ideas and themes. That is what makes me so excited to go every year. In the past, i would have been checking the site everyday but this year, it is completely different. this year, we already have three houses based on other things, all of which i am still skeptical about. the website is not even themed so far and it is already late July. i really hope there is an amazing central theme that ties all these things together. we now have a "horror rock" house, a "TV series" house, and a "video game" house...

I think Comcast just realized that HHN Hollywood was attracting a lot of guest due to movie based properties and therefore would make Universal a lot more money as a whole if Orlando followed the footsteps when it came down to mazes being based off of movies and not being original themes.

except there is one problem with that logic.... Orlando isn't "following in Hollywood's footsteps"... Orlando has always had movies featured in some way at the event since the first year. And its actually cheaper for them to have the same property at both events rather than have it exclusive. But this whole notion that Orlando was built upon originality is ridiculous..

The Orlando event attracts plenty of guests, with or without a movie being featured as its main selling point. Yes 2007 & 2009 were big draws for crowds, but it doesn't mean any of the other 19 years had "less" guest attendance.

I'm just going to say im quite looking forward to this year already I've been to HHN 06 through 2010 I missed last year and its been a year in anticapation for my since last season ended.. I LOVE ALL HAUNTED HOUSES..and I will certainly not moan and wine over the fact that there are a bunch of IP's coming this year as opposed to all original. The only thing that I would love and only hope to ever see is House of 1000 corpses finally making a debut in orlando I would probably cry of excitement if that did happen.

• Like 1

I think Comcast just realized that HHN Hollywood was attracting a lot of guest due to movie based properties and therefore would make Universal a lot more money as a whole if Orlando followed the footsteps when it came down to mazes being based off of movies and not being original themes.

But what works in Hollywood is not always going to work for Orlando. I’m from the west coast but live in Florida now and I can tell you one thing. West coasters mentality is 100% different then Florida.

Edited by JWFearman
  • Like 1

No, HHN Hollywood attracts more guests because the population is like three times that of Orlando.

Hollywood also makes more sense for things like movie properties because, well, it's Hollywood.

Using that mentality, Hollywood's HHN shows must be far superior to Orlando's - because, well, it's Hollywood. Except that their shows blow compared to Orlando's. So let's please drop the notion that Hollywood does some things better because it's Hollywood...

I have been going to both coasts' events for 7 years and I wouldn't want to bring a single idea from the Hollywood event over to Orlando - which is why I have the least enthusiasm I can remember ever for either event.

Every aspect of HHN Orlando has consistently been better than Hollywood's - shows, ticket options, lack of house repeats, website, house sizes. Other than the weather, Orlando always offered the better event.

Clearly money is the motivator for making the events more similar, and clearly the better product was costing more money.

I have never been a fan of movie houses - ever. I am still waiting for someone to explain to me why it is in any way fun to walk through a house for the first time knowing exactly what you are going to see - because you've already seen the movie. The contracts that come with IP take the potential for creativity (and any chance for originality) out of the equation. Which is why I make the surely controversial statement that I'd take an original generic Orlando zombie house over The Walking Dead house. Will I have enjoy TWD over Zombiegeddon? We shall see...because I loved Zombiegeddon, but I've already seen every episode of TWD.

We all know that many great Orlando houses borrowed from movies, but the ones that were very successful were not constrained by an IP contract. There's no way a contract was needed to do The Forsaken or Demon Cantina. The hugely popular Frankenstein presented an old idea in a fresh and clever way - again not constrained by a contract. Clearly not all of Orlando's original ideas have been winners, but man, so many have.

I hear a lot of people wishing for the best (and I am, too), but if we find out that 2013 brings the west-coast mentality of repeat houses, there's going to be a chorus of complaints. Believe me - you will really get tired of seeing Silent Hill three years in a row, no matter how much management promises it will be "all new"... Until then, I'm going cross my fingers and hope that the opposite happens - that Hollywood will pick up some of Orlando's good qualities, like no repeat houses, or adding behind the scenes tours.

• Like 10

I think a big point everyones forgetting is that theyve done this before. 2007 with the NLC characters. Both coasts had them. Hollywood repeated them the next 2 years, Orlando had a complete fresh event the next year. 2009 they did it with SAW(and eventually Hollywood used Wolan last year). Hollywood reused SAW a time or 2, Orlando had a complete fresh event the next year. All the worry of Orlando becoming Hollywood i think is a waste of time astheyve shared IPs before and so far, the trend is 1 year heavy IP, next year majority original content. We have completely different houses every year. Even sequels are normally completely different.

I think a big point everyones forgetting is that theyve done this before. 2007 with the NLC characters. Both coasts had them. Hollywood repeated them the next 2 years, Orlando had a complete fresh event the next year. 2009 they did it with SAW(and eventually Hollywood used Wolan last year). Hollywood reused SAW a time or 2, Orlando had a complete fresh event the next year. All the worry of Orlando becoming Hollywood i think is a waste of time astheyve shared IPs before and so far, the trend is 1 year heavy IP, next year majority original content. We have completely different houses every year. Even sequels are normally completely different.

It's definitely a valid concern now that Hollywood is running the show for both coasts. If Hollywood's mentality is that it's okey dokey to repeat houses for three years in a row (because that's what people "want"), how is that not something to worry about for the future of HHN Orlando?

Believe me - if it was the other way around and Orlando was running the show in Hollywood, I'd be doing cartwheels.

• Like 1

Using that mentality, Hollywood's HHN shows must be far superior to Orlando's - because, well, it's Hollywood. Except that their shows blow compared to Orlando's. So let's please drop the notion that Hollywood does some things better because it's Hollywood...

I have been going to both coasts' events for 7 years and I wouldn't want to bring a single idea from the Hollywood event over to Orlando - which is why I have the least enthusiasm I can remember ever for either event.

Every aspect of HHN Orlando has consistently been better than Hollywood's - shows, ticket options, lack of house repeats, website, house sizes. Other than the weather, Orlando always offered the better event.

Clearly money is the motivator for making the events more similar, and clearly the better product was costing more money.

I have never been a fan of movie houses - ever. I am still waiting for someone to explain to me why it is in any way fun to walk through a house for the first time knowing exactly what you are going to see - because you've already seen the movie. The contracts that come with IP take the potential for creativity (and any chance for originality) out of the equation. Which is why I make the surely controversial statement that I'd take an original generic Orlando zombie house over The Walking Dead house. Will I have enjoy TWD over Zombiegeddon? We shall see...because I loved Zombiegeddon, but I've already seen every episode of TWD.

We all know that many great Orlando houses borrowed from movies, but the ones that were very successful were not constrained by an IP contract. There's no way a contract was needed to do The Forsaken or Demon Cantina. The hugely popular Frankenstein presented an old idea in a fresh and clever way - again not constrained by a contract. Clearly not all of Orlando's original ideas have been winners, but man, so many have.

I hear a lot of people wishing for the best (and I am, too), but if we find out that 2013 brings the west-coast mentality of repeat houses, there's going to be a chorus of complaints. Believe me - you will really get tired of seeing Silent Hill three years in a row, no matter how much management promises it will be "all new"... Until then, I'm going cross my fingers and hope that the opposite happens - that Hollywood will pick up some of Orlando's good qualities, like no repeat houses, or adding behind the scenes tours.

like it or not Universal is a movie company, movies come first theme parks come second, hell, the only reason we have Theme parks is because of the movies that were made... Disney, same thing, I am not trying to be a smartass or anything, no, but the theme parks are based around the movies, every ride is tied to a movie or show or something, Universal is the movies come to life.

the whole reason there are parks, Is Because of Movies.

Besides this year marks the 100 anniversary, you people are lucky we are only getting 4 IP houses, we could have gotten 7 movie houses like 2007, I am not saying your opinion is wrong, no, not at all, but I don't understand why the haters of IP houses don't understand it could be a lot worst, all houses could be movie houses, that's what I am getting at,

and, you could say "But Blackmask, Horror Nights is different because we get original ideas it is not like a ride" or "At least Movie rides have Their own theme and storyline, HHN houses are best of"

which is true, totally true, but I guess one of the reasons that sets HHN separate from other events like Knott's Scary Farm or Six Flags, Netherworld, is the fact that Uni can afford to make movie houses, and the fact that they can take you Inside the world of a horror movie house, to purists here IP houses might suck, but to most of the regular public that have no idea about the event they love it, you can just hear it in their conversations, people telling their friends they visited Jigsaw or came face to face with Leather face or Jason,

even my friends ask me about the movie houses, nothing else, I remember my cousin wanted to go on 2009 to see the Jigsaw house, he and his wife wanted to do the Saw house, they didn't even know there was a Wolfman house until I told them, do you think he had any idea about Icons or what the original houses were?

I know everyone loves Original houses, but wanting to get rid of all IP houses is not going to happen, and I really do not think we will become like Hollywood, Orlando will always get more houses than Cali, always, there will always be original houses,

Edited by black mask
  • Like 1

Orlando will always get more houses than Cali, always, there will always be original houses,

Okay...

Orlando 2012- 6 or 7 houses (unconfirmed)

Hollywood 2012- 6 mazes + Terror Tram

Doesn't look like you will ALWAYS have more houses than us. If you count Terror Tram as a maze, which most people do, we have 7 mazes/attractions. You will get 6/7 houses. So your statement is invalid.

On topic, I don't get the hate for IP's, I never have, never will. I like, some IP to provide some kind of variety in the event, and originals to contrast the IP's. Too much of one or the other is no good in my book.

2007 only had 4 IPs.

Freddy, Jason, Leatherface, Dead Silence, The Thing (5)

Home for the Holidays was initially designed to be a "Black XMas" house, but was given the PS overlay during development.

Depending on who you talk to, Vampyre: Blood Bath, was a "Blade" house, and the queue included music from the Blade soundtrack.

So... 5 IPs, 2 houses that were heavily inspired by outside properties.

Even Jack's Funhouse reused a known character in a similar way as before.

sweeeet!do you think they are going to announce all the houses first or maybe a scare zone or two to make the announcements take longer?

I never recall that hhn announcing scarezones before the big reveal because their isn't any IP they put on the streets that is used for promotion so I believe if we're going to continue to releasing houses i believe we will do the last unconfirmed iP house left, Penn & Teller i just hope to god they have good effects but this is our hhn we're talking about so let's wait and see.

Also quick question did we get a permit for the other SS (believe its 33) or is still unconfirmed because i did hear that SS 44 was a mix up and it was 33?

Edited by CinemaOfTheDead

I never recall that hhn announcing scarezones before the big reveal because their isn't any IP they put on the streets that is used for promotion so I believe if we're going to continue to releasing houses i believe we will do the last unconfirmed iP house left, Penn & Teller i just hope to god they have good effects but this is our hhn we're talking about so let's wait and see.

Also quick question did we get a permit for the other SS (believe its 33) or is still unconfirmed because i did hear that SS 44 was a mix up and it was 33?

There is a new permit, but it still says Herc/Xena which was SS 44. Looking at the fees for this permit (which are different than the usual fees), I believe it is an "addendum" to the previous permit so it is still tilted the same. This means we have no location confirmation from this new permit, but we know there will be a 7th house.

I apologize for the double post, but the forums will not allow me to edit my own post.

To our knowledge, B79 (parade bldg) is the 7th location.

Nice find Mystique! I swear that wasn't there when I looked earlier. <_<

In fact when I checked the old permit was at the bottom of the search and the permit update is now July 25th so it had to have been updated just this morning. Bah!

But the building number is different so it is a different building. But that is good news none the less!

Freddy, Jason, Leatherface, Dead Silence, The Thing (5)

Home for the Holidays was initially designed to be a "Black XMas" house, but was given the PS overlay during development.

Depending on who you talk to, Vampyre: Blood Bath, was a "Blade" house, and the queue included music from the Blade soundtrack.

So... 5 IPs, 2 houses that were heavily inspired by outside properties.

Even Jack's Funhouse reused a known character in a similar way as before.

Thanks for the correction. I forgot about The Thing. (D'oh!) But even so it wasn't 7 IPs officially. Not that I have a problem with IPs if used right.

just wondering does anybody have a clue as to what house they think will be announced next?

I actually think the next announcement will be an original...Penn & Teller coming right after Alice Cooper is too much all at once. If I know Universal, I know they like to tease the crap out of us, and they'll spread out the big-name attractions. Penn & Teller would be better to go with the big reveal, which would also then include the scare zones. I also partially want the next announcement to be an original because I'm dying to see what A&D have been up to...maybe it'll be a 3D house/something akin to The In-Between from last year.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the overarching theme will be this year? Is it a Penn&Teller-themed HHN? Or are they sticking to just a house? I liked the media idea someone threw out there earlier.

Actually I just remembered something, which was lost in the back of my mind until now...maybe the theme will have something to do with the fact that it's 22 this year...doubles...double-vision...illusions....mirrors....maybe it will be Penn & Teller afterall. Or maybe the double/double-vision could translate into the 3D house, maybe making it the 7th house....I just opened Pandora's box in my mind, sorry :x

I also think about the twins (I know the "twins" idea is out because of the copycat issue with I-forgot-which-other-park, I'm just fantasizing here lol) from The Shining...and how sick of a house would THAT be. Hedge maze, blood waterfall elevators, bathtub scene, little kid riding around in a tricycle, REDRUM.......But I digress.

I actually think the next announcement will be an original...Penn & Teller coming right after Alice Cooper is too much all at once. If I know Universal, I know they like to tease the crap out of us, and they'll spread out the big-name attractions. Penn & Teller would be better to go with the big reveal, which would also then include the scare zones. I also partially want the next announcement to be an original because I'm dying to see what A&D have been up to...maybe it'll be a 3D house/something akin to The In-Between from last year.

The options you've provided only describe one house this year.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the overarching theme will be this year? Is it a Penn&Teller-themed HHN? Or are they sticking to just a house? I liked the media idea someone threw out there earlier.

Do not expect a "theme" to this year. Everything I've heard is that it's IP/Penn & Teller-centric this year.

The options you've provided only describe one house this year.

Do not expect a "theme" to this year. Everything I've heard is that it's IP/Penn & Teller-centric this year.

Well I can't provide options lol...I'm not A&D. I'm just curious.

While I know everything we've been hearing is Penn & Teller-based, I feel like, from a Marketing standpoint, the number 22 is too great of an opportunity for creativity/wordplay to just pass up...think about their uses for 21, 20, 16...someone at Universal, whether it's the execs or A&D, loves the idea of emphasizing the number each year. That's why the 22 is screaming at me. Ultimately, I think they could keep it Penn & Teller-based if that's their idea...and mix in 22.

from a Marketing standpoint, the number 22 is too great of an opportunity for creativity/wordplay to just pass up...

oh you mean like the taglines they have already used 8 years ago for 2004's event?

"Twice The Size. Twice The Fear."

"2X The Fear"