Scene of the Year

Fallow

I've got another fun poll that's a little more thought-provoking than the obligatory House and Street of the Year polls. What was your favorite specific scene of HHN21? All of the houses are fair game. I won't post the actual poll just yet - I want to hear actual nominations (since there are only 20 spots on any poll) before deciding what scenes should be on the official vote.

Here's some criteria you should consider:

-Scariness

-Consistency/Repeatability (was this scene still scary or at least entertaining on repeat trips?)

-Strength of Acting (were the actors in these scenes, both casts, effective in their use of the space?)

-Set Design (did this scene have strong set design in addition to simply being scary?)

I'll post my initial nominations/scenes that are almost guaranteed to be nominated. If you disagree with a nomination, please say so and explain why. Justification should be provided with actual nominations as well.

Distant Cemetery (Winter's Night)

Hall of Crypts (Winter's Night)

Coffin Room (Winter's Night)

Blue Light Finale (Winter's Night)

Ripped Away Soldier (Nightingales)

Body Room (Nightingales)

Machine Gun/Bungee Chord Nightingale (Nightingales)

The THING Escapes from the Ice (The THING)

Kitchen Gunfight (The THING)

Presidents' Day (The Re-Election) (H.R. Bloodngutz)

Ho Ho Homicide (H.R. Bloodngutz)

Get Lucked (H.R. Bloodngutz)

Waterfall/Steam Hall (Saws'n'Steam)

Flesh Aquarium (Saws'n'Steam)

The Raven Hall (Nevermore)

Masque of Red Death (Nevermore)

The Black Cat (Nevermore)

Death of Virginia (Nevermore)

Winged Demons (In-Between)

Rave/Laser Room (In-Between)

Pixie Stix/Line Room (In-Between)

Chapel (Forsaken)

Courtyard (Forsaken)

Tilted Ship (Forsaken)

Bungee Chord Finale (Forsaken)

The ripped away soldier would be my vote if it happened more frequently. I went through that house a good 15 times and only saw it once. My vote is for the distant cemetery as well

Remember that one of the factors that should be taken into consideration is consistency - if the scene isn't consistently good, it probably shouldn't be considered for scene of the year.

Also remember to everyone, we aren't actually voting yet (though you're free to say your favorite), we're only trying to determine what scenes will be featured on the poll itself.

I've got another fun poll that's a little more thought-provoking than the obligatory House and Street of the Year polls. What was your favorite specific scene of HHN21? All of the houses are fair game. I won't post the actual poll just yet - I want to hear actual nominations (since there are only 20 spots on any poll) before deciding what scenes should be on the official vote.

Here's some criteria you should consider:

-Scariness

-Consistency/Repeatability (was this scene still scary or at least entertaining on repeat trips?)

-Strength of Acting (were the actors in these scenes, both casts, effective in their use of the space?)

-Set Design (did this scene have strong set design in addition to simply being scary?)

I'll post my initial nominations/scenes that are almost guaranteed to be nominated. If you disagree with a nomination, please say so and explain why. Justification should be provided with actual nominations as well.

Pixie Stix/Line Room (In-Between)

The yarn room has to be one of the worst executed rooms this year. The yarn in the room is straight and the costumes didn't have any yarn that was straight.

As far as scene of the year goes... Winged Demon towards the end of the run was great. Get Lucked has to be my favorite just due to both casts of actors being amazing at their roles and being extremely consistent. Some nights of closing weekend I'd go through HR 20 or so times and every time both casts in that particular room would try to be scaring. They actually managed to get me multiple times every night.

Thanks for creating another great poll, Fallow!

Here are my favorite rooms of the bunch:

Distant Cemetery (extremely scary if you get the scare / consistently used / actors did quite well / wonderful design)

Hall of Crypts (pretty basic scares / the amount of boo-holes makes it ideal for repeat viewings / I always saw the actors running behind the crypts juicing as much scares out of the area as possible / I though the design was a bit unimpressive... yet accurate)

Get Lucked (pretty good distration scare... that's what type of scare it is, right? / this room was quite fun to go through multiple times due to the set design and seeing the leprechauns running around the room / I put this room on my list mainly due to the fact that the actors were always running around attempting to scare guests / I adored the set and lighting design of this room)

The Raven Hall (effective ping-pong scares / I always got multiple good scares every time though due to the intensity of the scare / actors were always in your face and scaring / I thought the set design was fairly ugly to tell you the truth)

Winged Demons (greatly scary due to the black lights and pitch blackness / I always got scares each time I passed them due to the fact that you really had no way of knowing when they would pop out / the actors utilized their space very, very well / not much set design due to the nature of the house)

Chapel (terrifying scare in the stained glass area right before the chapel itself, mainly due to the audio AAT / Even though I knew exactly where the actor would pop out, I always got scared each time through due to the sharpness of the actor’s movements and loud audio / the actors’ sharp movements were very effective / I though the pre-room area and the chapel itself look gorgeous)

Tilted Ship (due to the placing of scares, I got a few good scares in here / always a fun room to go through multiple times due to the slanted flooring / actors always utilized the disoriented guests and the hammocks to weave in-between / magnificent set design... loved the details and realistic setting)

Into the Fog (beyond effective scares / unfortunately, I only saw the effect once / the actors used their area exceptionally well... especially when they ping-ponged / not much to the set design that I can remember)

Honorable Mention (Due solely to set design):

*Winter's Nights Facacade

*Thing Facade

*Uncle Sam Wants You

*Laser Room

*Courtyard

*Waterfall

Edited by The Director of Horror

This one is REALLY tough. It was between the Courtyard in the Forsaken, Winter's Night distant cemetery, Winter's Night facade or the Body Room in Nightingales for my vote.

I'm going to go with the distant cemetery, though, in a really tight one. When considering scare consistency, set design, actors, and intensity this one won for me.

Just going on "WOW!" factor, Courtyard and Winter's Night would win just because of how blown away I was.

Honorable mention to the Red Masque of Death room for still giving me nightmares.

Edited by Coast

I agree with these:

Distant Cemetery (Winter's Night)

Coffin Room (Winter's Night)

Body Room (Nightingales)

Machine Gun/Bungee Chord Nightingale (Nightingales)

Presidents' Day (The Re-Election) (H.R. Bloodngutz)

Ho Ho Homicide (H.R. Bloodngutz)

Waterfall/Steam Hall (Saws'n'Steam)

Flesh Aquarium (Saws'n'Steam)

The Raven Hall (Nevermore)

Masque of Red Death (Nevermore)

Winged Demons (In-Between)

Rave/Laser Room (In-Between)

Chapel (Forsaken)

Courtyard (Forsaken)

Tilted Ship (Forsaken)

Bungee Chord Finale (Forsaken)

Personally, I might add:

Facade/Sorrow Angel (Winter's Night)

Crawling Zombie Distraction (Winter's Night)

Throat Slice (The Thing)

Inquisitor/Pit & Pendulum (Nevermore)

I'd say for me my favorite scene was in saws and steam. The bit where the victim was face down and having their leg carved off. It was quite realistic I thought and looked good every time I went through it.

It looked so real, we really did enjoy that scene every time through. I think my favorite scene was either the opening scene with H.R. Bloodengutz because of the interaction or The one Jason just mentioned in Saws N Steam.

• 2 weeks later...

It looked so real, we really did enjoy that scene every time through. I think my favorite scene was either the opening scene with H.R. Bloodengutz because of the interaction or The one Jason just mentioned in Saws N Steam.

Yeah the opening Bloodengutz scene was consistently good too. The houses this year were awesome and so many will stay in my memory unlike last year. I struggle to remember any scenes from that one even though I enjoyed it lol

• 6 months later...