greek gods and godesses a new era?

ok for the 20th year it started a new era of fear right... fear was a representation of Phobos the greek god of fear. this year it was Fortuna the greek godess of luck..last year in caticombs there was a plaque that stated a clue about this year. this year there was a plaque in winters night that i will post a pic of. the last word on the plaque was Fury capitolized which gives it personality

LYSSA was the goddess or daimona (spirit) of rage, fury, raging madness, frenzy, and, in animals, of the madness of rabies. The Athenians spelt her name Lytta.

Lyssa was a figure of Athenian tragedy. In Aeschylus she appears as the agent of Dionysos sent to drive the Minyades mad; and in Euripides she is sent by Hera to inflict Herakles. Greek vase-paintings of the period also confirm her appearance in plays about Aktaion, the hunter torn apart by his madenned hounds. In this scene she appears a women dressed in a short skirt, and crowned with a dog's-head cap to represent the madness of rabies.

and thats what i found about the greek goddess of fury

get it?

ok for the 20th year it started a new era of fear right... fear was a representation of Phobos the greek god of fear. this year it was Fortuna the greek godess of luck..last year in caticombs there was a plaque that stated a clue about this year. this year there was a plaque in winters night that i will post a pic of. the last word on the plaque was Fury capitolized which gives it personality

LYSSA was the goddess or daimona (spirit) of rage, fury, raging madness, frenzy, and, in animals, of the madness of rabies. The Athenians spelt her name Lytta.

Lyssa was a figure of Athenian tragedy. In Aeschylus she appears as the agent of Dionysos sent to drive the Minyades mad; and in Euripides she is sent by Hera to inflict Herakles. Greek vase-paintings of the period also confirm her appearance in plays about Aktaion, the hunter torn apart by his madenned hounds. In this scene she appears a women dressed in a short skirt, and crowned with a dog's-head cap to represent the madness of rabies.

and thats what i found about the greek goddess of fury

get it?

Uhm.... How about the furIES, plural? The myth behind them is .... ..... it's really convoluted and frankly I don't remember it all and I'll let you look it up on Wikipedia if you want to know, but I do know that they represent the vengeance bringers who sort of come to "collect the toll" for people who curse themselves and seal their own fate..

They're in Roman mythology too... As the furies as well, I believe.

They're also in Dante's Inferno (we know Uni's playing with that) .... If memory serves, they are the guardians of the gate to the city of Dis, and they're basically like the Gorgons..and the furies are often confused with the gorgons anyway

By all accounts, they're horrific creatures you do not want to encounter.

I would think they'd be more likely to be what is 'hinted at' ... Lyssa is kind of obscure, and from what I remember about my Greek mythology .... Well, two things:

1- This one is a stretch, but I think translation problems or destroyed texts or something like that affected the list that led to the one you just gave, and

2- Kinda tied into that (but I'm pretty sure about this one) - She is really the goddess responsible for fury in the sense of madness, not fury as in the sense of ... anger/rage/what have you. And actually, she isn't even that. She's like a madness subcontractor - the Maniae (is that correct ? each one is called a Mania and they're a group) are the deities who are actually responsible for madness. This is why we call that kind of "fury-madness" mania instead of ... lyssa..ia.

Regardless, the whole lot of them were tied in to vengeance and savage justice. Punishment, basically. That's the way madness was understood by the Greeks.

In short .... MAN I hope you're right and they do an event themed on madness. Unlike what other people have said, I actually liked the way they tied Lady Luck's story in with the houses this year: a Decision was part of every one of those houses, each of which was the disastrous result of a bad decision.

Imagine what HHN would look like if every single house was based on a different kind of madness?

They could even be testing out new kinds of tech ideas... Collecting peoples names and having them whispered through the houses or something (I'm fully aware that this would be nearly impossible, but cool nonetheless).

But in truth. ... I think they're more likely to be talking about the Furies. ....Which would also be really cool, because they would be able to have an icon that is made up of multiple icons. Imagine that?

Cool find - can't wait to see the pic. Just had to throw in what I happened to know about madness (which is way way way too much, obviously :))

see thats just the response i wanted!!! dig deeper my friend lol. but yes either one of them would be awsome. but ill post the pic when i have a little more time. but im glad someone knew what i was talkin about! but defiantly cant wait for next year to see if im on the right path

• 2 weeks later...

How about Gods and Godess in general, not just Greek or Roman. I'd love too see HHN show more world wide culture. Take Caribbean culture:

BARON-SAMEDI

The Great Boss LOA Spirit of the Dead, and probably the most infamously famous character in the Voodou pantheon. Stylish and sinister, he wears a black tailcoat, glossy top hat and dark eyeglasses. You guessed it —he's dressed like an undertaker. But unlike most mortal undertakers, he smokes cigars on duty, twirls a cane and goes in for trance dancing. When not on the graveyard shift he likes to party —particularly on Saturday nights which is why he's called Baron Saturday. In his graveyard persona of BARON-CIMETIERE, he watches over cemeteries. This isn't just a passive role, what with body-snatchers on the look-out for zombie material. As BARON-LA-CROIX, he also stands at the metaphysical crossroads of life and death and he may even be a manifestation of GHEDE himself. Of course he might just be a drinking buddy. There are those who claim to have seen them both together, but anything can happen when you drink vast quantities of rum and hot pepper and trance the night away. Not to mention the odd chicken sacrifice. His wife is MAMAN-BRIGITTE and he also has two colleagues, BARON-LA-CROIX and BARON-CIMETIERE —who may or may not be aspects of his own grave personality.

I hate to be picky, but I have to point out that:

1 Fear was a representation of the Sumerian god of fear, Adaru.

2 Fortuna is the Roman goddess of luck. Her Greek equivalent is Tyche.

But yes both have been deities, just not Greek deities.