Review

MattJohnson

I will make this as simple as possible. I was very excited for the event and I understand that last night was a 'technical rehearsal', however, the event can only get so much better.

Overall, this is my least favorite year.

Houses:

Winter's Night: Cool facade, nice sets, short house, no scares. 5/10

HR Bloodengutz/Holidays: Wasn't really impressed with anything. No scares

Smelled good in the Thanksgiving room, though. Arbor day?

3/10

The Thing: The facade was nice but I think I saw 3 scare actors in the house. The monsters in the 2007 house were much better. 4/10

Nightingales: Neat costumes, a few scares, intense actors, awesome sets. 8/10

Nevermore: I will admit, this is the best house I have ever seen at HHN. 10/10

The In-Between: A scare or two, disorienting sets. 6/10

The Forsaken: Nice sets, way to short. The masks completely ruin this house. 5/10

Saws N Steam: Exactly what you'd expect. 3/10

--

'Scare'zones:

7: Interesting zone. Had a scare or two in here. Creative costuming. 6/10

Grown Evil: Neat costumes. 5/10

Canyon: The fog ruins any chance of visibility. Skulls with tusks. 2/10

Acid Assault: The projectors look cool from a far distance. The zone is way too open with not enough actors. 4/10

Luck: Kinda ruins it when you can see four lady lucks (pretty ones) at the same time. Cheesy masks. 3/10

Nightmaze: Not one scare, or actor really. They spend all their time moving fences. This zone literally cost $0.00. 1/10

I skipped the Drum show, but saw it from a distance.

Bill & Ted wasn't great. Had a moment or two, but nothing special. Literally NO storyline. Also, can we not harp on

Osama Bin Laden

. It was very tasteless and somewhat racist. 3/10

wow, i really wonder if is this $hitty i might just skip going this year....

or maybe some people too hard to please? this review scares me

This was a just preview of the event and the answer to your question is...

maybe some people too hard to please?

Proof? Watch the below clip and realize people pay upwards for 40-50 bucks for that event and think the event is awesome. And yes, most of these walkthroughs we see are near/at completion and yes most of the houses just look like plywood even when it's dark(I've been to the event and they actually reuse some houses each year):

http://www.youtube.com/user/knottsberryfarm?blend=7&ob=5#p/u/0/5wgUrz8yqV4

Now watch the inside of what some are saying is one of the "worst" houses at HHN this year -- an event BTW where a resident like yourself can go for as cheap as 45 bucks and even go to the first three weeks as much as you want for 70:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLVITYw1q4w

Now thank the people at HHN for doing what they do, have fun and enjoy life:)

This was a just preview of the event and the answer to your question is...

Proof? Watch the below clip and realize people pay upwards for 40-50 bucks for that event and think the event is awesome. And yes, most of these walkthroughs we see are near/at completion and yes most of the houses just look like plywood even when it's dark(I've been to the event and they actually reuse some houses each year):

http://www.youtube.com/user/knottsberryfarm?blend=7&ob=5#p/u/0/5wgUrz8yqV4

Now watch the inside of what some are saying is one of the "worst" houses at HHN this year -- an event BTW where a resident like yourself can go for as cheap as 45 bucks and even go to the first three weeks as much as you want for 70:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLVITYw1q4w

Now thank the people at HHN for doing what they do, have fun and enjoy life:)

oh dont get me wrong I LOVE HHN, and i do thank them for doing what they do

this review just sounds so incredibly negative, never really heard something this negative before, not even in 09 and those scarezones sucked so bad lol

but you are right, that video of the forsaken looks amazing

sorry im a little sick and for some reason i missed that video before

oh dont get me wrong I LOVE HHN, and i do thank them for doing what they do

this review just sounds so incredibly negative, never really heard something this negative before, not even in 09 and those scarezones sucked so bad lol

but you are right, that video of the forsaken looks amazing

sorry im a little sick and for some reason i missed that video before

No worries. Hope you are feeling better soon. Everyone is getting sick, there is something going around!

Regarding '09, yeah I too wasn't a fan of those scarezones and most of the houses, but had a blast and really enjoyed everything anyway -- actually one of my fav years because of the people I was with and the couple scares I had. Just depends on how you look at things. Someone said they didn't like the Poe house as opposed to the above review - opinions, personality, situation, mood. Whatever you end up doing, hope you get over the cold, make it to the event and have a great time.

Check out some more reviews here: http://hhnrumors.com/forum/index.php?/topic/556-employee-preview-sept-21-2011/

WESKER69 (Chris) can be a bit though on the preview and he didn't think it was that bad. In the end, just do what you like :)

I will back up his review... though I actually found Nevermore pretty yet boring...

Forsaken was dull... pretty but scare free... its the spawning on a boat... and has a spot inside that will likely lead to lawsuits for Uni considering I was stone cold sober and fell down.

Don't believe me about the event... How about this... i'm not buying a pass... nothing at this event inspired me to want to... for the first time I am not going beyond that one night... and I've been going since Fright Nights.

The scarezones are also mostly AWFUL.

My least favourite year... though I loved In-Between.

and trust me, chris was a lot more harsh in private than he was on his review.

Edited by TheEyeOfHorus

Reviews are about opinions. Everyone has a different opinion and as long as it is honest, well thought out and constructive i don't think anyone should criticise it. It's rare that two people will ever have the same views of a house they see so lets keep that in mind and be supportive of those who take the time to post reviews for us. While i may not agree with everything i read when i experience the event for myself i appreciate reading other views. Thanks for putting in the effort.

Reviews are about opinions. Everyone has a different opinion and as long as it is honest, well thought out and constructive i don't think anyone should criticise it. It's rare that two people will ever have the same views of a house they see so lets keep that in mind and be supportive of those who take the time to post reviews for us. While i may not agree with everything i read when i experience the event for myself i appreciate reading other views. Thanks for putting in the effort.

Very well said Jason. Just because he hated the event except for Nevermore doesn't mean we will. I've seen a 10/10 rating for The In-Between and Nightingales, I've also heard good things about Winters Night. It's personal preference and everyone needs to remember that was just employee preview. HHN always seems to improve as the event rolls on.

I'm going tonight. Last time i went on opening night I left feeling a bit deflated (Last year). I understand that at the moment the scareactors are still finding their sweet spots and working out the ebb and flow of things. Thus, I'm not expecting a whole lot but still expect a fun time nonetheless. I will be back probably LATE tonight or sometime tomorrow with my opinion of the houses I hit and the scarezones I experienced. WISH ME LUCK (haha, that was an unintentional pun!)

Canyon: The fog ruins any chance of visibility. Skulls with tusks

I think that might be the whole point.. lol

To the point where everytime I walked through, other guests were bumping into me, I was bumping into them, scare actors were bumping into each other.

I'm not telling anyone not to go. I was posting my opinion on the event. I don't understand why everyone's getting so butthurt. Calm down.

To the point where everytime I walked through, other guests were bumping into me, I was bumping into them, scare actors were bumping into each other.

I'm not telling anyone not to go. I was posting my opinion on the event. I don't understand why everyone's getting so butthurt. Calm down.

I don't think he is offended at the least. It's a review, there will be criticism. All he was saying is that the fog is supposed to disorient. And you knew that it would be a technical rehearsal, so this part could improve... you never know. I liked your review, and it makes me happy that i will be going later on in the event

I'm leaving now and can happily say that tonight was almost a complete 180. Still not the best year, but definitely better.

Forsaken 7/10 - a lot more actors, less lighting improved the masks, few good scares.

Nevermore 11/10 (amazing-ER) - noticed more actors, love how the Poes get drunker and crazier throughout the house. I got the greatest scare I've ever had. Ever. in this house tonight.

Winters Night 8/10 - such an improvement. Lighting seemed better and again, a lot more actors. Some very good scares.

Nightingales 9/10 - sooo good. Amazing scares, once more: more actors.

Nightmaze 5/10 - more actors, couple of startles.

Grown Evil 7/10 - actors really know how to work with their wings.

Canyon 6/10 - little less fog, more light. Much better.

Luck 4/10

7 8/10

Edited by MattJohnson

I will make this as simple as possible. I was very excited for the event and I understand that last night was a 'technical rehearsal', however, the event can only get so much better.

Overall, this is my least favorite year.

Houses:

Winter's Night: Cool facade, nice sets, short house, no scares. 5/10

HR Bloodengutz/Holidays: Wasn't really impressed with anything. No scares

Smelled good in the Thanksgiving room, though. Arbor day?

3/10

The Thing: The facade was nice but I think I saw 3 scare actors in the house. The monsters in the 2007 house were much better. 4/10

Nightingales: Neat costumes, a few scares, intense actors, awesome sets. 8/10

Nevermore: I will admit, this is the best house I have ever seen at HHN. 10/10

The In-Between: A scare or two, disorienting sets. 6/10

The Forsaken: Nice sets, way to short. The masks completely ruin this house. 5/10

Saws N Steam: Exactly what you'd expect. 3/10

--

'Scare'zones:

7: Interesting zone. Had a scare or two in here. Creative costuming. 6/10

Grown Evil: Neat costumes. 5/10

Canyon: The fog ruins any chance of visibility. Skulls with tusks. 2/10

Acid Assault: The projectors look cool from a far distance. The zone is way too open with not enough actors. 4/10

Luck: Kinda ruins it when you can see four lady lucks (pretty ones) at the same time. Cheesy masks. 3/10

Nightmaze: Not one scare, or actor really. They spend all their time moving fences. This zone literally cost $0.00. 1/10

I skipped the Drum show, but saw it from a distance.

Bill & Ted wasn't great. Had a moment or two, but nothing special. Literally NO storyline. Also, can we not harp on

Osama Bin Laden

. It was very tasteless and somewhat racist. 3/10

care to actually give reasons for your scores or are you just going to throw random numbers on things with no validation or justification for them.

Well I'm sure you, as another scare actor, knows that the best way for us to improve is to get told what we are doing wrong. I'm in Saws and Steam, what are we doing wrong? You gave literally no reason for your 3/10. you just said, "ehh, whatever." Give us some feedback so we can improve so that you will enjoy the house.