First Visit to HHN, Do YOU remember?

I remember being 4 years old, and scared SH!Tless by the wolfman at HHN 4. It was my first visit to Universal studios, I remember riding Jaws and Back to the future. I remember crying while waiting the whole 60 minutes for Kongfrontation. It was an awesome day that turned into a completely terrifying night. We left to get some food ( checkers in Old town If I remember correctly) then went back to Universal. Things had changed, yes the creepy trees were out during the day but this was even more strange. People were walking around on stilts, there was a girl laying in a coffin full of live rats across from Mel's and Not even the Ghostbusters could Hold back Robosaurus. What did I get for all of this? What did I get for watching my parents gawk at guys with chainsaws while I trailed behind- A simple T-shirt with that flaming skull in the arch- Honestahgahd. Unfortunately from that year on I was HOOKED! I have been nearly every year now since, except for 2002- Broken Leg!

So what was Everyone elses First trip to HHN like?

Well my first year technically was 2006, Which was when I was 12. Back then I was a complete chicken when it came to scary stuff. Somehow in the next two years or so after that, I became completely desensitized to the scary stuff, so now it's hard to actually scare me. But boy, back in '06 did I scare easily. Anyway I didn't actually get to go in the haunted houses that year, but I went through all the scarezones. I went with my friend and his dad. I don't remember much but what I remember is that we did the Stay and Scream and they went to the back towards the people under the stairs house right away. For whatever reason I was so scared of the PUTS house that I didn't want to go so I waited at the exit while they went into it. I was ( or at least thought I was) fine with and not as scared to go into any of the other houses, however I didn't get to because after they got out of PUTS the lines had gone up too much to the point where my dads friend didnt want to wait in the lines cause apparently he doesn't like waiting in lines. We spent the rest of the night riding the rides and going through the scarezones. I remember being scared of the scareactors and scarezones, and I believe I basically ran through them to get away from them lol, but still no matter how scared I would've been I regret not going into the PUTS house with them when they went. That was completely my fault though so its whatever. Sooo, anyway even though I didn't go in any of the houses and I basically ran away from the scarezones, it was still a really fun night that was the start of what is now a complete obsession. It hooked me to go back the next year with my family, where I finally went in the houses and I've been completely in love since then.

First year was 2006. Went on opening Saturday and was extremely pumped for the event.

I had just moved to Florida less than two months prior and we had gotten our annual passes probably 2 or 3 weeks before Horror Nights. I knew we were going to Horror Nights, since I was so excited for it. Went with my brother and my friend Brendan. First house ever was ScreamHouse 3 and I loved it, ended up making it through Psycho, and All Night Die In. Checked out all the zones and just generally had a blast. I loved the event and thought it was scary in all the rights ways and it left me craving for more. From there I've been the haunt freak I am.

2002 was my first year and I was 12. All I remember are bits and pieces from the Marvel area and a couple of houses. Evilution was my first house and it was so badass. I was so scared back then though lol, but when 2003 came around I had to go back, and it became my favorite year.

I feel old...first time to HHN was 2002, I was 17. We had just moved to Florida for my senior year, and I begged and begges them to let me go. The agreed- but only if they went with me. I remeber very few of the houses- none of them really scared or startled me, I was totally fascinated by the detail. Then we got to the scarezone in Amity. I dont like clowns and the sound of chainsaws really bother me. So of course the theme was apparently clowns with chainsaws. my dad ended up carrying me piggy back all the way through Amity. Ive been back every year since- even when I have to fly across the country to visit, im always there. And I still dont want to go near the clowns.

I am old...er, My 1st HHN was 03. Never had heard of HHN, we always went in early spring to USO.

We had just bought a new truck and I was wanting to go somewhere, and our anniversary was in Oct.

so we went to Universal. I seen the ads for this Halloween thing and I like Halloween so we tried it. Haven't

missed a year yet. Be there in 9 days. every year is like the 1st time always different, exciting & loads of fun.

My first visit to HHN was in 1998 Primal Scream. A friend of mine asked me If I wanted to go to this halloween event at Universal Studios Florida and I said sure why not. First house I ever went through was S.S. Frightanic. Absolutely loved every minute of it and i've been going ever since... :)

Fright Nights 1991...I was actually working in guest services at the time, my shift ended at 8pm, so I went to the event as soon as I was off work.

I remember the big discussion in guest services that night was whether or not a Halloween event would take off or not...if we only knew! The line for Dungeon of Terror was ridiculously long but thankfully there were a ton of shows to watch and the rides were open.

Never in a million years after that first year did any of us think we would see Fright Nights turn into HHN and become the monsterous event it has evolved in to.

My first year was '08. I earned the money needed for the ticket all by myself. Since my mom is terrified of these kinds of things, I ended up going to the event with my bro, my mom's boyfriend, and his daughter while mom waited in the hotel. We got to do 5 houses (Dead Exposure- my first ever HHN haunted house. I remember wondering if all the houses were going to be that dark, Body collectors, Reflections of Fear, Creatures, and the Hallow) and I got to do all the scarezones except for Path of the Wicked (my first ever scarezone was Asylum in Wonderland, I remember being pretty on edge. The lighting effects they used really disoriented me and thus I felt extremely vulnerable. Not many scares in the zone though). That year is still one of my personal favs. I remember my favorite houses were Body Collectors and Creatures, and my favorite scarezone was The Skoolhouse. Unfortunately we left around midnight becuase my mom had set a curfew. Still was a fun night that I will never forget. I loved the atmosphere of the park, the copious amounts of fog (one of my favorite things is coming home from the event smelling like fog), and the neat lighting used in every zone. To me, it was like the best, most coolest halloween party I had ever attended. Needless to say, I was hooked from then on.

My first year was last year. I had some newly made friends that convinced me that I should try it. I figured I should try it at least once so I bought a one day ticket and went with a friend. It definitely wasn't what I expected and I found out that I loved it. I wanted a FFP, but I didn't have a job or anything to pay for it, so I couldn't get one. I spent many days in the park and I always dreaded that time when I had to get kicked out because I didn't have a ticket to stay in the park.

The first year I started working the event, 2008, was also the first year I attended as a guest. I asked for opening night off, got it, and hence got to experienced HHN for myself before officially becoming a scare-actor (not counting employee preview). I was 20 years old. The first house I went in was Body Collectors: Collections of the Past. There was a Gentleman towards the beginning of the house who sort of swung down at you from this narrow, staircase style boo-hole as you walked by. I had to be dragged into the next room by my friend who had went with me. My legs had given out, and I'd dropped to the ground. lol The single most intense scare I've ever had at HHN.

My first year going was 2008, and I was 13. I had been wanting to go for a while but my mom thought it would be to scary...and she was right. I went with two of my friends who were just as scared as I was and we ended up not going in any houses. I remember being really paranoid and making my cousin walk behind me so no one could sneak up on me. Even though we didn't go in houses we did go through at least a few scarezones....I ran into one of the guys on the CDT without realizing that he was an actor and awkwardly apologized, obviously intimidated since he was twice my size, and then all of a sudden heard the chainsaws start up and had a chainsaw fly up in front of me. I ran out of that area like my life depended on it, and got chased by the entire CDT to the amusement of everyone else in the zone. We ended up seeing brian brushwood's show twice. We all felt so pathetic afterwards, but over all it was still fun, and now I'm hooked :)

My first year was last year and I was hooked from the first night. My best gay friend and I bought FFP+ even though we were only really planning to go once, maybe twice. We went on one of the first nights on opening weekend and had waits from 5-30 minutes, which we thought were kind of ridiculous at the time, if only we knew what the season had in store. We did the majority of the houses on the first night minus Orphanage I believe. I made my friend hold my hand through the houses as I was extremely scared, not knowing what to expect and all. He was as well. We ended up loving it. I thought Bill and Ted were a hoot and the houses were so much fun because it was such an adrenaline rush to go through. I also was 22, so I was able to drink which helped. We ended up going back 7+ more times that season with other groups of friends. Really enjoyed it! I'm going tomorrow and all weekend for the first time this year. Can't wait! Still a bit of nervousness though. See ya'll tomorrow! I'll be at Finnegan’s by 4 for the pregame! :D

My first year was 2005, and I remember it being cold out and having to wear a jacket. My first house was the original Body Collectors and I must admit while that house was awesome the only other ones I got to do were Blood Ruins and Where Evil Hides...I miss queue videos I always appreciate the dark humor houses for those these last few years... but I made sure not to go back with a friend who only wanted to do rides as we found out that the houses frightened him too much. Ah I like HHN being part of my high school life until now.

Edited by copperfield13

• 2 weeks later...

I remember.

It was 2007, HHN's opening night for that year. It was also the first time I'd been to Universal in general in at least 15 years. First, I went through 'Vampyr: Bloodbath,' but that was not a good experience (Both because of how bad the House itself was, and because the guys behind me were complete idiots). Then, I went to the stage where I was told the opening scare-amonies would be. I waited there quite a while (It started 15 minutes later than it was supposed to, though at one point during the wait the people kind of threw us a bone by doing some cool things with the stage's spotlights), but it was worth it, because the opening show was so cool and funny! I also that night rode 'The Mummy' for the first time in my life, then saw the 'Jack's Carnival of Carnage' show, which was good gruesome fun. Finally, the last thing I did before leaving that night was going through the "Thing" House. That was a good House, kept me jumping.

All in all, a great first night and great intro to HHN!

• 1 month later...

1991. I was 14. The only thing I remember anymore is:

a.) You parked right in front of the arches and the parking atendants were dressed in cheesy (homemade?) costumes and

b.) D.O.T. the first house ever is burned into my memory.

• 4 weeks later...

My first HHN was back in 2005. I was only 9. My family and myself had gone to IOA for a day trip with our AP's one saturday in October. While walking around, we saw props for the scarezones and wondered what they were for. We found out about HHN that way, so me, my dad and my sister stayed after the park closed and went to HHN 15. I was more excited than scared as i knew absolutely nothing about it and it was a spur of the moment thing. We first hit Terror Mines, and it was pretty cool, but not very scary. We then proceed to do Where Evil Hides, The Skool and Demon Cantina. Before we left, we saw the Terra Queen's show and the human sacrifice. After that night, i was hooked. I've been every year since. My only regret is not being able to see Body Collectors :( curse you 2 hour wait! <_<

Edited by foREVer56

• 6 months later...

1991. I was 14. The only thing I remember anymore is:

a.) You parked right in front of the arches and the parking atendants were dressed in cheesy (homemade?) costumes and

b.) D.O.T. the first house ever is burned into my memory.

Would you agree with me that the general atmosphere and excellence of the event peaked around HHN 14/15?

My only regret is not being able to see Body Collectors sad.gif curse you 2 hour wait! dry.gif

Best house they made.

Edited by alone

The very first year, 1991...good old Fright Nights. I was working in guest services at the time. Things have come a long way to say the least...that first year the scareactors had to provide their own make up and costumes and we had one measly house. How times they have changed! :) I guess it shouldn't, but it still amazes me that we went from that little locals Halloween celebration that first year to 22 years later being the premiere Halloween event in the country. Happy to say I've been fortunate enough to attend every year and see the amazing progressions.

• Like 2

First year was 1997, I remember being crazy scared despite the fact I was 16 lol. I remember wearing my nWo t-shirt and seeing a Kiss Tribute Band of some sort in concert during the night, plus I remember a fat woman stepping on my foot and breaking the nail on my big toe in one of the houses, despite that bad part I loved it and i've been back whenever I could in the years since