Nightmaze

Mark M.

wow. I had such hope for this zone. let's hope I'm pleasantly surprised tonight (I always go into every house and scarezone with a positive outlook)

same of all the zones i figured this had the most petential to be scary. im still excited and want to see it though.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

can you please exaplin what they look like?

If you've been through Esqueleto Muerte last year, do you remember the all black scareacters with the shakers? Same thing but no shakers. And two of them looked like giant black checker pieces at either end of the zone.

If you've been through Esqueleto Muerte last year, do you remember the all black scareacters with the shakers? Same thing but no shakers. And two of them looked like giant black checker pieces at either end of the zone.

just sounds like this zone is going to Really suck, so bad... :(

this zone sucks, but i dont mind, actually i have to sides to this conversation one good one bad

Good: they were trying something new, which payed off, because is new and cool, seems like they used the budget for the house so we were lucky to get this house, very lucky

they might not have done anything, is not that bad.

bad: they could have been more creative, even if they had not as much budget wise ( i dont know just saying) or if they had to make this zone simplistic, they could have painted the sets and the actors with weird black and white patterns, that would have change everything of this zone 100%

they could have done something small but effective, like painting everything weird, OR even Better, try to painted like the in between maybe, just some patters, make this a 3D zone, Can you imagine how amazing that would have been......

very bland, kinda boring, the moving sets are not that great.

Again, i appreciate HHN for giving us something instead of nothing, and something creative at that, but they could have done something else, as it is right now is just too simplistic, too small

Edited by black mask

I actually really dug this zone. it had a really surreal atmosphere to it (the weird music and lights) and i do like that it changes. i think in a few more days the actors could perfect this and maybe they could add more stuff to it

I totally AGREE! I think the zone itself is pretty awesome, and once the actors find their groove it can be even better. This and Grown Evil are my top scarezones ;)

They seemed to be a little more on the ball with the walls last night. I actually got cut off a few times and it was pretty interesting. One of the scareactors got my girlfriend really good, he was against the wall so it was black on black and you couldn't see him at all. I'll give them some time to find their groove before I fully judge this zone.

Wtf was with the lady selling blood bags in this zone though? Keep vendors out of scarezones. Please.

So far, this is my favorite zone of the year. Not because it's the scariest. (Although, this has gotten me the second most scares.) But because it's something new and as long as it keeps improving the walls and actors are quite fun.

Nightmaze

-Meh... is how I'd describe this zone.

-It's pretty much exactly what I expected, which wasn't much.

-The audio design is pretty cool... reminds me of Asylum in Wonderland. In general, that's how this zone should've been designed - with white and black whacky designs, instead of all black. The all blackness screams laziness.

-The walls weren't moving much. Scares were scattered and inconsistent. The big guy is pretty freaky, though.

-Costumes are as weak as I would've expected.

-Meh.

Suggestions for Improvement: Not much can be done to save this zone unless the casts get better at moving their walls consistently and effectively. They can get scares by blending into the walls, but the zone comes off as a failed idea. I'm glad they're trying to try new things, but more thought should've been put into this one. Maybe some heavy strobes could help this zone?

Sets: D

Costumes: C

Atmosphere: B

Size: B

Scares: C+

Opening Weekend Grade: C

After last night I really do like this zone alot. I was walking through and could not see crap for a few seconds. then all of a sudden a scareactor jumpd right infront of my face, screams and i proceed to freak out. I walk the other direction and another scareactor closes the wall infront of us which then forces me to take a left only to have another scareactor get me. Awesome time. This zone keeps growing on me

Edited by Zombass

Thanks for all the feedback, especially the positive. We are trying our best to make it as crazy as possible.

Keep up the great work! Even with all the negative opinions people have had, you guys are really working hard to make this an awesome scarezone.

I got a great scare as I was exiting the maze on Mel's side. I thought it was over, and the ninja to my left popped into my face and said "boo"! Yes, boo - and he scared the crap out of me. Nicely done, you all are working hard and I love seeing this area pick up.

On the 24th, I was walking around the park and someone who overheard me say "Let's go to Nightmaze again!" yelled out "NIGHTMAZE SUCKS!" in a disappointed tone. I brushed it off as someone who went through during high-traffic through the scarezone but, when reading through reviews, I'm seeing that people actually don't like it. Why?

Opening night, my group went through Nightmaze right after the rain had stopped and the scareactors had returned, and it was easily the best walkthrough of a scarezone I've had in the 5 years I've been going to Halloween Horror Nights. We approached the area from Mel's Dine-In to get to Winter's Night, and from the VERY start we got some great scares. Mad props to both scareactors working the circle costumes, the spinning and movements were so hypnotizing, I got such a good scare from both ends.

We went through the scarezone entirely alone, the three of us, and the energy of the people in this zone was FANTASTIC. It took us about 5 minutes to actually get through because of all the constantly moving walls, I had never experienced something like that at HHN before. The chemistry between the cast when we went through was phenomenal, they were in sync with those horrifying sounds and actually managed to lock us in for a lot longer than we had expected. I loved everything about Nightmaze, the concept, the movement, the audio, the random movement of the lights, the entire walkthrough was so ethereal and mindbending.

You can see why I was disappointed to come back Sunday and walk through Nightmaze three times and not get the same experience. I'm assuming it's because the guest to scareactor ratio was so high they couldn't move the walls and focus on individuals as much, but eh. I suppose this is a scarezone you have to experience on your own.

Easily my favorite scarezone. I love how ell the costumes work here, given how they're pretty much the simplest design you could possibly come up with. I also like how it feels less like a scarezone and more like a mini-maze.

Just goes to show that sometimes the simplest ideas are the best.

This scarezone is amazing. Opening night it was "meh" even though I enjoyed how trippy it was, especially the circle costumes. Last night I went through with my girlfriend...holy CRAP, one of THE best scarezone experiences ever in the park. We had a few "runners" streak by (which btw, I haven't seen many street scareactors running anymore) and corral us behind a wall, which they then shut. This resulted in us being boxed in with another scareactor, who tormented the everliving crap out of us, until we finally were able to run out toward the sidewalk and get out.

We went through again, and only caught one scare, no epic entrapment or anything. It's a very hit or miss experience, but if you get "hit" then you certainly will know it.

the actors are making this zone a good one, still The street is too big, there is no real maze feeling, that's no one's fault really, I guess this type of zone could have been perfect in a smaller space, where the walls would actually get in your way

went today and, got scared twice, it was good. I LOVE the circle costumes, they look crazy, it actually reminds me of the beautiful people music video

Went through Nightmaze last night and I noticed some new things or changes that they've implemented:

1. New sounds and mixes of theme music for the soundtrack (Very Effective)

2. More fog than previous nights

3. More movement

4. Taller scareactors. (I don't know if this is because there were some drop outs and some FC or ABU were filling in, but the taller scareactors made a big difference. Turning a corner and seeing a black hooded figure 6 inches shorter than me is not so intimidating. Seeing a black hooded figure 6 inches taller is a totally different story.

I really think the design team and coordinators are listening to the people and adjusting to make the zones evolve and be the best they can be. I think its great that they listen, adapt and improve.

Anyway, the Nightmaze is definitely improving.

• Mark M. changed the title to Nightmaze