The In Between

Mark M.

Automatic Writing is the concept that led to Ouija.

While Ouija Boards are considered by many to be nothing more than a game, and their creation to be nothing more than a capitalistic act that preyed upon the popularity of the Spiritualist Movement, there are some who will tell you to never tempt fate and to not play with things you do not understand.

Doorways can be open in many ways, through various means and forms. Mirrors are considered by some to be doorways but we still stand before them and preen ourselves.

In modern times, we have seen other games associated with the opening of doorways. Think of Jumanji, while a childrens story, it is the concept of a board game opening a doorway to another world.

Why couldn't we have it both ways? Ouija boards were a modern interpretation of another form of spiritual contact. With the popularity of RPG style dice games, what's to say that this is not a game that is a more modern interpretation of a Ouija?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you can show me a Ouija that uses dice, instead of the pointer, then I'll tip my hat to you. But, in the meantime, that facade does not show a Ouija. The backstory may include one...but that drawing does not.

Doesn't matter. The "game" was referenced as a Ouija board prior to the reveal (from sources), it features a board with symbols (which are all letters are), it's obviously spiritual/dimensional in nature, and the official Facebook has gone on record as calling it a Ouija board. Thus, it's a Ouija board. Official statement trumps backstory trumps visual cues.

And besides, considering the college kids obviously don't know what they're messing with, use to say the dice actually have nothing to do with the game? Afterall... there's no dice in the Certain Rune game.

Doesn't matter. The "game" was referenced as a Ouija board prior to the reveal (from sources), it features a board with symbols (which are all letters are), it's obviously spiritual/dimensional in nature, and the official Facebook has gone on record as calling it a Ouija board. Thus, it's a Ouija board. Official statement trumps backstory trumps visual cues.

And besides, considering the college kids obviously don't know what they're messing with, use to say the dice actually have nothing to do with the game? Afterall... there's no dice in the Certain Rune game.

Well, in MY made up rules regarding "what trumps what," official facade trumps official backstory. If I get to the Poe house, and the facade is Hemingway's house in Key West...it's now a Hemingway house.

And come on, college kids who don't know how to use a Ouija? Let's have slightly more faith in our educational system than that. Let's at least assume they've watched Paranormal Activity. Lol

Well, in MY made up rules regarding "what trumps what," official facade trumps official backstory. If I get to the Poe house, and the facade is Hemingway's house in Key West...it's now a Hemingway house.

Fine, but you would be wrong because everything else says it's a Poe house.

A Ouija board is not always what people associate with it. Do a google image search, and you'll find circular boards, guitars and card lay-outs. Considering it was originally conceived in China, those boards wouldn't even have "letters" as we view them on them. Ouija is now a brand-name, but was originally much more. Just because it isn't what automatically consider a Ouija board (or what the kids in the story consider a Ouija board), doesn't mean it's not a Ouija board.

Just because there was a picture of Albert Caine in the Orfanage last year, does that mean A&D is wrong is saying the house is a prequel to the Screamhouse? Official descriptions and statements trump what we want. It's not a made up rule, it's simple logic.

Well The actual game isn't really shown (although when I zoom in really close I can see something that might be a planchette) .. seems to be a big green light in the middle of it. There are also dice, cards, soda cans, keys, etc on the board... and I don't think any of that probably has a part in the game. Seeing as this guy is being sucked into what looks like a black hole I would imagine all that stuff is flying around.

The board itself is hinged and folds up like a diamond (which I think is really cool BTW). But doesn't really indicate what is in the middle. All in all, I think the cover is trying to imply these kids were delving into all kinds of things, and opened up a portal... No need to get hung up on the minutia.

I have hated the 3D houses but that is b/c they weren't really scary. I don't fear clowns or anything like that. Usually 3D houses don't have characters like the one in the pic above. I am very excited for this house and think it could be one of the best of the year. Probably the best 3D house since i have been going in 2002.

321063_270083906349792_114845238540327_975345_1732306829_n.jpg

I have to be honest I wasn't too excited about this house... but now that I've heard them talk about the effects I'm actually excited about a 3D house.

300406_270082653016584_114845238540327_975323_1003309934_n.jpg

the costumes in this one look real good, im also excited for this house cause this will be my first year in a 3D house, didnt get the chance to see the 3D house back in 2007 though its all good, cant wait for this year,all the houses are looking very good

Edited by CalifasFinest

Guest kiwisoup

That's what I'm hoping for. When A&D said 3D you've never seen before, depth is exactly what came to mind. Most good 3D flick in the theater play with depth to the fullest. I'm much more excited for this house.

They meant 3D like you've never seen before IN A HAUNTED HOUSE. I wouldn't ever compare it other forms of 3D media like films, totally different effect and underlying technology. Just don't want anybody to get their hopes up toooo much. The effect will be cool though and has a lot of potential.

I know that there will probably be a spinning tunnel thing somewhere in the house, but I hope that there isn't. Those tend to make me really sick and confused, but not in the fun way. Like how you would feel if you went rolling down a hill right after a big meal. Sure, I can close my eyes, but when there's a conga line, I can be standing there with my eyes squeezed shut for a while. I'd just much rather something else be there.

On a more positive note, I am super pumped for the 3D effects in this house. I'm hoping that they will be unlike anything we've seen.

I know that there will probably be a spinning tunnel thing somewhere in the house, but I hope that there isn't. Those tend to make me really sick and confused, but not in the fun way. Like how you would feel if you went rolling down a hill right after a big meal. Sure, I can close my eyes, but when there's a conga line, I can be standing there with my eyes squeezed shut for a while. I'd just much rather something else be there.

On a more positive note, I am super pumped for the 3D effects in this house. I'm hoping that they will be unlike anything we've seen.

i think they will put a spinning tunnel since the cover of the haunted house is shown as like a vortex sucking in random things, theyll add it as an effect, but I know what you mean it can make certain people sick, who knows maybe they will add something else besides the spinning tunnel

• Mark M. changed the title to The In Between