The In Between

Mark M.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's obviously not REALLY in 3D...because life is in 3D. Technically, every house is in 3D :)

You get crappy cardboard glasses, but they're not red and blue or anything like that. In fact, if you go to a convienience store around the 4th of July they'll typically have "3D Fireworks Glasses" and I think they're pretty much the same thing. I have no idea how they work, but they tend to make certain colored things (or maybe just the brighter colored things) stick out and seem closer than they are. Or maybe it's stuff pained in paint that reacts to black lights. I have no idea about the technology behind it....but anyway, they paint stuff (like the demon faces in the released picutre) on the walls and they seem to stick out. They paint crap on the floors and if you look down while walking, it gets a bit disorienting and feels like stuff is higher than you think.

The scareactors can wear all black so their bodies are hard to see and don't stick out at all, and then a mask that has the 3D affect and it looks like they jump out and are right in your face.

It's gimmicky, but it works. I get "virtual tummy" watching 3D movies...and rides like Spider-Man and The Simpsons mess up my equilibrium. Funny that I go on all the coasters, but then pass on those rides. This is NOTHING like that. It's fun, disorienting, but not real 3D.

The video below shows a walkthrough of Jack's Fun House in Clown-O-Vision and shows you how the house is set up. All the bright, dayglow, neon colors would be affected by the glasses...so you get the idea.

EDIT: That is not my video, just something I found on YouTube...so I'm not the idiot yelling out stupid crap thinking I'm cool the whole time. Just hope you don't get behind this guy in the Conga line!

So its kinda like a strode light house? AWESOME.

An easy way to think about how the glasses work is this. You have the colors of the rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet. The color red and colors closest to that side of the spectrum appear closer to you and the other side of the spectrum appear further. The glasses are clear and the effect works in any condition, doesn't have to be dark or neon colors or blacklight or special paint or anything like that. While you could have actors dress in all black, a more interesting technique I've seen is having them dressed as the background. At a haunted attraction here in MN they have a 3D circus themed house every year and one of the rooms is all polka dots with people dressed in black with polka dots and they can be a few feet from you and you can't tell with everything having added depth to it.I believe the actual technology is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChromaDepth

Cool. I was too lazy to try to figure out the tech, but that Wiki Link makes sense. Thanks for the info, really interesting. If the lighting isn't important, I wonder if there will be anything else in the park/scare zones that will stick out with the glasses. Always wondered how the Muertos SZ from last year would have looked with the glasses.

So its kinda like a strode light house? AWESOME.

Not necessarily a strobe house, but lots of houses use the strobe affect and it works really well in the 3D where you see the stuff sticking out and then can't see it and the scareactor moves and then you see them again somewhere else. It's really freaky.

Not necessarily a strobe house, but lots of houses use the strobe affect and it works really well in the 3D where you see the stuff sticking out and then can't see it and the scareactor moves and then you see them again somewhere else. It's really freaky.

OMG the best house ever used a strobe in my opinion, is the saw maze. it WAS SO AWESOME when the pigs came at you, that made me run as fast as i could out.

1992. Wow. Now it really needs to go.

The only problem with the vertigo tunnel is the people who stop in the middle of it.

See I love that. Makes the effect even better. Most of the time I *yawn* and wonder what the rest of the house is going to be like.

Edited by Karras

Why do you consider it to be outdated? It's an extremely effective effect that helps tell the story. In fact, I think it's one of the most effective effects that we see year after year at HHN. Every time I walk through it, it's disorienting. There's no getting used to it. That, and it's fun to walk through! :P

Why do you consider it to be outdated? It's an extremely effective effect that helps tell the story. In fact, I think it's one of the most effective effects that we see year after year at HHN. Every time I walk through it, it's disorienting. There's no getting used to it. That, and it's fun to walk through! :P

To each his own. Yes, it's effective but I would think by now the spinning tunnel would be retired and something new would be implemented.

really don't want to sound like a hater, and, i don't mind if they use the tunnel or keep using it, but personally i think it sucks, is gimmicky , and, i dont get anything from it, and, i feel sometimes is a waste of a room, like last year, I kept thinking they could have made another room instead of sticking that tunnel in the middle of the house, waste of a room really,

but I know people love it, and, I mean, don't get me wrong i think is cool, but, is not that cool, if you asked me between the tunnel or a regular room....

Hmm.. Should have looked closer. But the caption on facebook is "Didn’t your mother tell you never to play with Ouija boards? You never know what trouble you could get into….or what evil you might release when you step inside… The In-Between."

Just take a look at it. There are four flaps that fold open on it, and there are dice. So...not a Ouija board. :)

Um... the official Horror Nights Facebook said it's a Ouija board, and ouija boards pre-date the Hasbro board by a few centuries. It IS an ouija board, just not the type of board everyone thinks of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouija#History

Um... the official Horror Nights Facebook said it's a Ouija board, and ouija boards pre-date the Hasbro board by a few centuries. It IS an ouija board, just not the type of board everyone thinks of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouija#History

If you can show me a Ouija that uses dice, instead of the pointer, then I'll tip my hat to you. But, in the meantime, that facade does not show a Ouija. The backstory may include one...but that drawing does not.

• Mark M. changed the title to The In Between