The Forsaken

Mark M.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Roofs? Rooofs! No roooooooffffsss? Come on people how often do you go threw the houses looking at the cieling? I could see if you were upset about there being no floors, but roofs? Who gives a flying dutchmen?

I do, thanks. It kills the immersion to look up and find you're just in a big warehouse. The black cloths strewn about or the grating weren't anything fancy but they were effective in preserving the illusion. Besides, many effects actually call for you to look up (see the Stygian Witches scene in Hades).

I know it's apparently now a fire code thing, but you'd think Universal could find a way to work around that. Disney seems to get away with it all the time (Reedy Creek benefits notwithstanding.)

I do, thanks. It kills the immersion to look up and find you're just in a big warehouse. The black cloths strewn about or the grating weren't anything fancy but they were effective in preserving the illusion. Besides, many effects actually call for you to look up (see the Stygian Witches scene in Hades).

I know it's apparently now a fire code thing, but you'd think Universal could find a way to work around that. Disney seems to get away with it all the time (Reedy Creek benefits notwithstanding.)

I second that! Roofs absolutely add to the experience. Think of the Wyandot Estate last year. It was hard to believe I was in a, actual huge house when the walls stop just 2 feet above my head.

Oh, and the ghosts looking like the ones from the Fog is a very good thing in my book!!!

Edited by Creeper06

Forsaken looks awesome! A little short but awesome.

Goes like this. The fourth cursed ship lays forever at the bottom of the ocean. A hurricane drags it up and crashes it into a Spanish fort. Now you are in the middle of a hurricane while the cursed crew fights the Spanish soldiers.

I LOVE how we are going to be caught in an EPIC battle here (almost reminds me of Creatures in a weird way).

If your so focused on the roofs then your missing the main points. So many people put so much hard work into this event, including the SA's. I know i lost about 10lbs last year from the work i put into the event trying to scare. Our creative directors spend thier whole year thinking up these crazy, insane, fun houses for us and all we can think about is the roofs? its sad that so much hard work is being put into the event and the roofs is the discussion. I can tell you from an SA perspective that the Creative Directors and other teams are proud of the work they put in in costuming and set design, and they work so hard to make sure everything is perfect for US, the fans. Its sad that they cant see and just appreciate the hard work in front of them rather than petty things like roofs.

Thats all im gonna say on the matter because #1, this is the wrong thread for this, its taking away from the anticipation of The Forsaken and #2, im going to enjoy the hard work that has been put in. I mean no offense from this post and sorry if i pulled someones chain, its just what came into my mind.

Jordan and I were part of the 21 that got to see the house as well.

Sound and Lighting effects were on, but no Scare Actors. The sets and detail were amazing, more than any other year I can remember. It seemed rather short, but that could be due to no conga line and scares, as we just walked right through. You'll all be happy.

I've got an idea...don't look up... ;)

Seriously, in all the years I've been going to this event, I never considered not having a roof or anything else above me a downer. I'm too busy looking around at the house itself, the Stygian Witches were just that a reason for you to look up...if there is no reason, then it's not that big of deal. At least not in my book.

For this house it's suppose to feel like you are in a fort in the midst of an epic battle...personally for me, having a roof would make it seem a bit claustrophobic. And if you've been in any fort like the Castillo de San Marcos or Fort Zachary Taylor in Key West, the only areas that have low hanging roofs are typically storage and containment rooms...the remainder of the place is wide open and vast. If the ship has crashed into a fort and we are dealing with a hurricane as well...the story itself begs for an open space to capture this type of action.

My two cents for what they are worth...roof or no roof, this house is in my top three for the year thus far just from what I've heard about it.

Yeah cool kids. Chill with the roofs. Just don't look up. Easy fix.

Anyways. For those who experienced this house last night: Were there actors? Effects on? Lights on? How dope was the facade?

No. Yes. Show Lights, not work lights. What are you talking about?

If your so focused on the roofs then your missing the main points. So many people put so much hard work into this event, including the SA's. I know i lost about 10lbs last year from the work i put into the event trying to scare. Our creative directors spend thier whole year thinking up these crazy, insane, fun houses for us and all we can think about is the roofs? its sad that so much hard work is being put into the event and the roofs is the discussion. I can tell you from an SA perspective that the Creative Directors and other teams are proud of the work they put in in costuming and set design, and they work so hard to make sure everything is perfect for US, the fans. Its sad that they cant see and just appreciate the hard work in front of them rather than petty things like roofs.

Thats all im gonna say on the matter because #1, this is the wrong thread for this, its taking away from the anticipation of The Forsaken and #2, im going to enjoy the hard work that has been put in. I mean no offense from this post and sorry if i pulled someones chain, its just what came into my mind.

Dude. No one was insulting A&D or the SAs. Everyone on here has the utmost repect for all the talented people who work so hard ot put on the event. All anyone said is that they think roofs add to the house. *hands you a chill pill* This is for you.

Anyway, interesting that there's no facade. I'll be very curious to see how they throw you right in!!! And I LOVE the look of the ghosts. Cannot wait for this!

So I'm just going to go out on a limb and assume that the "facade" is the Courtyard room we've heard a bit about already? This makes me so pumped... :D I'm hoping for an EPIC battle scene here. Crazy epic with crazy water/hurricane effects.

Edited by bmoz628

Dude, you shouldn't take this so personally. I know the roofs aren't the main point. I never said anywhere in my post that I don't appreciate or respect or enjoy (which I do all 3) the hard work the designers and actors put into the houses and streets. This is a discussion board, and the roofs became a point of interest when they disappeared last year. We were under the impression based on the press image released that roofs would return, at least in Forsaken - which has proven to be untrue. As such, I (and evidently a few others) are disappointed. I'm simply expressing that disappointment. Will it ruin the house or the scares? Of course not, that'd be stupid. Is it still a detractor? In certain spots, yes, I feel it kills the immersion to look up and see the warehouse. I'm still going to probably love this house - I'm just expressing a concern/disappointment over the roofs. Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah cool kids. Chill with the roofs. Just don't look up. Easy fix.

Anyways. For those who experienced this house last night: Were there actors? Effects on? Lights on? How dope was the facade?

The condescension isn't warranted or appreciated. No need to act holier than thou because you seem to feel you're "above" expressing your disappointment in something.

I've got an idea...don't look up... ;)

Seriously, in all the years I've been going to this event, I never considered not having a roof or anything else above me a downer. I'm too busy looking around at the house itself, the Stygian Witches were just that a reason for you to look up...if there is no reason, then it's not that big of deal. At least not in my book.

For this house it's suppose to feel like you are in a fort in the midst of an epic battle...personally for me, having a roof would make it seem a bit claustrophobic. And if you've been in any fort like the Castillo de San Marcos or Fort Zachary Taylor in Key West, the only areas that have low hanging roofs are typically storage and containment rooms...the remainder of the place is wide open and vast. If the ship has crashed into a fort and we are dealing with a hurricane as well...the story itself begs for an open space to capture this type of action.

My two cents for what they are worth...roof or no roof, this house is in my top three for the year thus far just from what I've heard about it.

Thank you Hush for the dignified response in contrast to my own opinion. As I am entitled to my opinion, you're entitled to yours. Like I mentioned above - lack of roofs will not ruin a house (though it can hamper certain scenes - see Dead Exposure last year), but their presence is much appreciated since it helps with the immersion. As for your argument that the low-roofs wouldn't work in the fort itself - I do agree here. I've explored plenty of forts myself and they're often fairly vast. Roofs would be appropriate, however, (IMO) in the ship portion of the house (assuming there is one). I didn't learn the actual plot of the house (which apparently involves the ship AND the fortress) until a night or two ago. There are certain parts of houses where a roof doesn't make sense - any outdoor portion of a house, most commonly (see Wolfman).

Just remember that this is a discussion board and varying views should be allowed and perhaps even encouraged, regardless of whether or not you necessarily agree iwth them. The condescending attitude some posters here take can be very irksome at times. Not trying to call anyone out, just trying to make people aware of it.

====

Back to actual Forsaken discussion -- I'm very intrigued by the idea that we enter right into the house, with a "facade" of sorts happening midway through. My guess is we'll be starting in the ship and travelling into the Fortress, which will serve as our mid-house "Facade" (the courtyard room mentioned?) Also looking forward to seeing these water effects for the "hurricane." The costumes shown so far are great! I just hope the house isn't as short as some of you are making it out to be...

Dude, you shouldn't take this so personally. I know the roofs aren't the main point. I never said anywhere in my post that I don't appreciate or respect or enjoy (which I do all 3) the hard work the designers and actors put into the houses and streets. This is a discussion board, and the roofs became a point of interest when they disappeared last year. We were under the impression based on the press image released that roofs would return, at least in Forsaken - which has proven to be untrue. As such, I (and evidently a few others) are disappointed. I'm simply expressing that disappointment. Will it ruin the house or the scares? Of course not, that'd be stupid. Is it still a detractor? In certain spots, yes, I feel it kills the immersion to look up and see the warehouse. I'm still going to probably love this house - I'm just expressing a concern/disappointment over the roofs. Nothing wrong with that.

The condescension isn't warranted or appreciated. No need to act holier than thou because you seem to feel you're "above" expressing your disappointment in something.

Thank you Hush for the dignified response in contrast to my own opinion. As I am entitled to my opinion, you're entitled to yours. Like I mentioned above - lack of roofs will not ruin a house (though it can hamper certain scenes - see Dead Exposure last year), but their presence is much appreciated since it helps with the immersion. As for your argument that the low-roofs wouldn't work in the fort itself - I do agree here. I've explored plenty of forts myself and they're often fairly vast. Roofs would be appropriate, however, (IMO) in the ship portion of the house (assuming there is one). I didn't learn the actual plot of the house (which apparently involves the ship AND the fortress) until a night or two ago. There are certain parts of houses where a roof doesn't make sense - any outdoor portion of a house, most commonly (see Wolfman).

Just remember that this is a discussion board and varying views should be allowed and perhaps even encouraged, regardless of whether or not you necessarily agree iwth them. The condescending attitude some posters here take can be very irksome at times. Not trying to call anyone out, just trying to make people aware of it.

====

Back to actual Forsaken discussion -- I'm very intrigued by the idea that we enter right into the house, with a "facade" of sorts happening midway through. My guess is we'll be starting in the ship and travelling into the Fortress, which will serve as our mid-house "Facade" (the courtyard room mentioned?) Also looking forward to seeing these water effects for the "hurricane." The costumes shown so far are great! I just hope the house isn't as short as some of you are making it out to be...

Well said Fallow condescension has no place on this forum, all members are equal and should be treated with respect even if their views differ. Amazingly I said almost exactly the same thing to the same someone yesterday after receiving the same attitude (worse actually) in a PM he sent me. Apparantly he thinks I'm too sensitive so you must be too. Who knew lol? Let's hope lessons have been learned and we don't have a repeat huh?

On the subject of roofs i have a feeling that the new technologies they are implementing in the houses mean we'll be too distracted to notice no roofs much. Unless of coarse it starts snowing on our heads or something. I might look up then lol.

Sorry if i offended, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, i never said they weren't. I said in the post i was sorry if i offended, just as you guys wanted your entitlement to your opinion, so did i. Hush says it perfect, just don't look up, that's all i wanted to say, it came out a little more technically. I don't think i need to chill out, i wasn't even freaking out, i was just typing a thought, but whatever. I'm done, its moved on.

I definitely think im most excited for this house. Im a big lover of sets, i cant wait to see it. For me this house probably my favorite storyline, i love when they take a real event and twist a house off of it.

Edited by gatoralex

Sorry if i offended, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, i never said they weren't. I said in the post i was sorry if i offended, just as you guys wanted your entitlement to your opinion, so did i. Hush says it perfect, just don't look up, that's all i wanted to say, it came out a little more technically. I don't think i need to chill out, i wasn't even freaking out, i was just typing a thought, but whatever. I'm done, its moved on.

I definitely think im most excited for this house. Im a big lover of sets, i cant wait to see it. For me this house probably my favorite storyline, i love when they take a real event and twist a house off of it.

I didn't agree with Hush before but didnt say anything

But it is Not that easy... is not that easy to not look up, because most of the times, we are not looking up, you can look ahead and see the big empty space in the corner of your eyes, sometimes it can get really distracting, sometimes you can't avoid it, but this is not like we hate the houses or dont appreciate the hard work, is the opposite, most of the time I go, wow, this room is so amazing I wish that big empty space on top was not there. And is just that this is not a matter of opinion, it is a fact that for some of us seeing no roof becomes distracting, and looking up and seeing the warehouse is distracting as well, is not like we think it is distracting, it actually is distracting,

anyways, I know they cannot put roofs and fire code violations and all that, i get it. I just wish they put a simple fishnet type material in the roof, nothing fancy, just something there, something, anything, like i said fishnet material of some kind, anything at all would help,

Definitly looking forward to this house, along with two others that must be visited before I leave. Roof or no roof, it personally doesnt matter to me. Sometimes I look up in the houses and there is no roof, but it doesnt really take away from it all. I am already caught up in everything else in the house. Of course, those that like the add on of a roof are entitled to say what you feel on the subject. Continuing on for me though, a battle scene for this house will totally stun me!

When it comes to the roof discussion I see both sides. Universal puts on a fantastic event year after year. The Scareactors and designers give everything they have to make each year better than the last. It doesn't mean I can't hope for roofs on houses, I have the right be disappointed when the house doesn't have a roof. HHN as a whole is great, I just feel with a roof the immersion factor is better. Without roofs I do sometimes get taken out of the experience because I naturally like to look up. It's not that big of a deal though. Roofs or no roofs I will continue to believe that HHN is the best event in the country. The sets are the most important thing and I think we can all agree they are top notch every year. This house seems to be an amazingly designed house and I can't wait to experience it with or without a roof.

• Mark M. changed the title to The Forsaken