Nevermore: The Madness of Poe

Mark M.

Since it has been debated for a while here, I figured I'd give my perspective on my scene, namely the one people at times refer to as either "The Cask of Amontillado" or "The Black Cat." I find that this room works best if you imagine it as a point in which Poe is on the verge of insanity and metaphorically (represented literally) is walling in his insanity, leading to both of the aforementioned stories that deal with sealing something away to blend togerther for him. So in short, both stories are used in the room.

While portraying Poe here, I like to imagine that his actions in the protrait chamber have left him insane, but he retains a forced lucidity with hints of his soon to be full madness (seen in the finale where everything blends together) coming out in short bursts.

Winning. Do all the Scare Actors get so involved in their role? Great explanation, will definitely be seeing you many times in the coming weeks.

Since it has been debated for a while here, I figured I'd give my perspective on my scene, namely the one people at times refer to as either "The Cask of Amontillado" or "The Black Cat." I find that this room works best if you imagine it as a point in which Poe is on the verge of insanity and metaphorically (represented literally) is walling in his insanity, leading to both of the aforementioned stories that deal with sealing something away to blend togerther for him. So in short, both stories are used in the room.

While portraying Poe here, I like to imagine that his actions in the protrait chamber have left him insane, but he retains a forced lucidity with hints of his soon to be full madness (seen in the finale where everything blends together) coming out in short bursts.

Like +1 !

I'll say it again, I love your Poe in your room!

Am I the only one that thinks a roof is absolutely necessary in the Masque of the Red Death room?

I usually couldn't care less if they had roofs or not in the houses, but IMHO when I walk into this room every time , the first thing I notice is the tent roof. Kinda ruins the theming for a sec :(

I Used to complain about Roofs but this year everything is so amazing I don't care now

When I went to see the Thing I could see the red lights and the explosions from Nightingales a couple of times, lol, I guess the reflection of the color in the roof? i dont know

As long as your normal height you can turn your head and slant it a bit and see it without even looking at the roof.

So as long as you go completely out of your way not to look up, you won't see that there's no roof? Lol.

Here we go with roof debate again. Many of us think they roofs add to the immersion. Others are disgusted that we would even care about something so trivial. No one is going to change anyone else's mind...

Peace and love :)

Nevermore suffers from the exact opposite problem that Winter's Night does. Nevermore is way too dark. Looking at the pictures from the Unmasking tours show just how brilliantly this house was designed. Almost all of the details are missed in the darkness.

Of the five times that I went through this house, I had one great walk-through. The other four times were extremely bland with almost no scares at all. I hope the house can improve, because I did see a lot of potential here. Nevermore ranked at the bottom of my house ranking, but I could easily see it jump up with some minor tweaks. I'm just upset that I won't be back again to see the house improve.

Today is the anniversary of Poe's death, I wonder if they're planning anything special?

no, nothing,

but in unrelated news this came out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PGDV1SWRkQ

Nevermore suffers from the exact opposite problem that Winter's Night does. Nevermore is way too dark. Looking at the pictures from the Unmasking tours show just how brilliantly this house was designed. Almost all of the details are missed in the darkness.

Of the five times that I went through this house, I had one great walk-through. The other four times were extremely bland with almost no scares at all. I hope the house can improve, because I did see a lot of potential here. Nevermore ranked at the bottom of my house ranking, but I could easily see it jump up with some minor tweaks. I'm just upset that I won't be back again to see the house improve.

I Always complain about houses being too dark or too bright, I think Winter's night is not that bright,

but I also think Poe is fine, so you didn't have a good time? that sucks, I am able to see everything in every room, to me every room is clear, but at what time did you go?

Edited by black mask

I went through at various times throughout last weekend. I did have a good time overall. I even had one great run through Nevermore as stated above. The house just wasn't consistent or lit well enough for me to enjoy it as much as the other houses this year.

Edited by BruinsFan

I liked this house a lot, but my only issue was that it was so dark that you couldn't see much. The Tell-Tale Heart room and that room where Poe is on the balcony especially. I couldn't even tell what the balcony room was supposed to be.

Otherwise, great house. Love Poe, loved that he finally got a place at HHN.

This is...huh, wow. That looks several kinds of crazy. Hopefully it will make for a decent popcorn flick.

lol i was wondering when someone would watch that LOL

I don't know, is just a trailer but, to me it feels like S#$@, because feels like they took the story from Se7en, they added the locations and look of From Hell, and threw some stuff from Sleepy Hollow on top for good measure. It might be good but for now the whole Poe is Sherlock Holmes sounds silly to me

Edited by black mask

This was definitely our best house of the night, even though in reading the comments here, I feel like I missed A LOT. We only had one night, were with a terrified 13-year-old, and it was pouring so we only did each house once and now I'm really regretting that.

The facade was beautiful and somewhat elegiac. The whole house actually, had a rather melancholly feel that fits the Poe theme well.

I'm surprised anyone had to look up to see the Red Death. I'm really short, and he was pretty much right the Hell in my face. That was my favorite part of the house, and the effects were so good I didn't even realize that any of the dancers weren't real!

All three Poes were magnificent. I know others have said this, but you'd never know it was three separate actors if not for the obvious logisitics of it.

ALSO OMG RAVENS. You guys were RELENTLESS. I could see what was happening to my sister in front of me, so I knew what I was in store for.... but holy crap, I didn't expect you to come THAT close! And the second actually wouldn't let me down the hall for a moment, which freaked me out a little... I think that actually may have been my best scare of the night because YAHHHH RIGHT IN MY FACE.

Bravo to everyone involved. I'm not even a huge Poe fan (I prefer Bierce), but this house was a work of art.

Poe is Sherlock Holmes sounds silly to me

Eh, I agree to an extent, but he DID write Murders in the Rue Morgue which was a huge influence on Sherlock Holmes (and the detective genre as a whole).

Having any author essentially act like their character is bizarre to me (ACD in a Sherlock role would be just as weird), but a lot of people do forget that Poe didn't just write horror stuff.

POES! you were all fantastic! I can agree slightly with the rooms not being lit too well, it was hard for me to make out too much detail as I could in the others. This house ranked low for me on my list only because of the ending. The scares were fine, but no offense to anyone working the ending, but it just seemed too forced for me. Hearing General Specifics explanation, I can see where it's coming from, and it's a great justification for the end scene. But in the moment, I would have much rather seen Poe going mad in his writing space or something like that than stacks of books with all his characters. The sound of paper flying around, an overturned desk, Poe freaking the fuck out, etc. Overall it was a good house, just not necessarily my favorite of the year.

lol i was wondering when someone would watch that LOL

I don't know, is just a trailer but, to me it feels like S#$@, because feels like they took the story from Se7en, they added the locations and look of From Hell, and threw some stuff from Sleepy Hollow on top for good measure. It might be good but for now the whole Poe is Sherlock Holmes sounds silly to me

Well of course it's going to be dumb as Hell. I'm just hoping that it will be brainlessly fun.

Oh, Poe... I wanted to like you. It's with a heavy heart that I place this house near the bottom of my list. My first impression of it was amazing, lots of scares and interaction going on. But for the rest of my run, I just felt really "meh" about it. I think it's because it was the only house I had trouble getting scares in. There's a lot to see in here, and the house had some cool effects. (I didn't even notice the

changing portrait

until a friend pointed it out- that was neat!) But with a few exceptions, I tend to rank houses based on how much they scared me, and compared to the rest, this one was just too hit or miss.

Yet another Top House of the night. Nothing has really changed in ths house, and that's perfectly fine with me since it was already a perfect house to begin with. I'm sorry Edgars, I just can't be scared of you guys (love u too much, still want to just hug u...no homo). It's a joy to get to walk thru Poe's tales and be able to meet the master himself. Amazing house.

FINAL SCORE: 10/10

• Mark M. changed the title to Nevermore: The Madness of Poe