Winter's Night: Haunting of Hawthorn Cemetery

Mark M.

I don't remember this house being nearly as good as everyone makes it seem...guess I'll have to try again.

I guess is the sets that makes it amazing,

some of the actors look the same as last year with LT and Psychoscerapy, in terms of costumes, but, the sets are so amazing the actors also look amazing in them,

the scares are not as great as the thing but, i love this house,

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

this house was so much more amazing than i anticipated. the sets are defenitely the most detailed ive ever seen. the SA"s seem to know what there doing, and i got plenty of scares. the atmosphere is defenitely present. you really feel like your in a haunted cemetery. i did it 3 times my first night. next time i go ill probably do it the same amount. i really love this house, though its not HOTY imo. that belongs to a certain utopia :P.

also, did anyone else notice the walls are incredibly low?and that it seems prety light in this house, even at night.

this house was so much more amazing than i anticipated. the sets are defenitely the most detailed ive ever seen. the SA"s seem to know what there doing, and i got plenty of scares. the atmosphere is defenitely present. you really feel like your in a haunted cemetery. i did it 3 times my first night. next time i go ill probably do it the same amount. i really love this house, though its not HOTY imo. that belongs to a certain utopia :P.

also, did anyone else notice the walls are incredibly low?and that it seems prety light in this house, even at night.

I really wanted to like Winter's Night and I gave this house plenty of opportunities to make me like it. However, it just fell flat for me.

The cold temperature really added to the atmosphere of the house, however the house is too brightly lit and that took me right out the atmosphere. The house is obviously amazing to look at, but it basically ends there. Don't get me wrong, I did witness a few high-quality scares. But, the consistency just wasn't there.

I hope that as the event continues on that a lot of the actors will find their grooves as there is still a lot of potential in Winter's Night. I'd also suggest that the lighting be significantly dimmed.

I really wanted to like Winter's Night and I gave this house plenty of opportunities to make me like it. However, it just fell flat for me.

The cold temperature really added to the atmosphere of the house, however the house is too brightly lit and that took me right out the atmosphere. The house is obviously amazing to look at, but it basically ends there. Don't get me wrong, I did witness a few high-quality scares. But, the consistency just wasn't there.

I hope that as the event continues on that a lot of the actors will find their grooves as there is still a lot of potential in Winter's Night. I'd also suggest that the lighting be significantly dimmed.

i dont think the house suffers from the lights. its description says to follow the blue lights, so that could be one reason. plus if it was too dark, you wouldnt be able to see the immaculate detail in the house. and the SA's hide very well so there scares arent predictable. i think its a nice touch actualy so you can appreciate the detail. the scenes with the headstones are very dark and you cant see the names very well.

The lighting is beautiful. Living in Pa, I get one or two snowstorms a year, and the lighting in this house looks almost exactly like moonlight reflecting off snow. It doesn't give away the scareactors' spots and it compliments most of the scenes; I actually forgot I was inside of a building the first time I walked through.

I agree with you on the really good scares in this house; they happen few and far between, but they are really good. Especially, the miniature cemetery one... which happens fairly often if only more people would notice it.

i dont think the house suffers from the lights. its description says to follow the blue lights, so that could be one reason. plus if it was too dark, you wouldnt be able to see the immaculate detail in the house. and the SA's hide very well so there scares arent predictable. i think its a nice touch actualy so you can appreciate the detail. the scenes with the headstones are very dark and you cant see the names very well.

The lighting is beautiful. Living in Pa, I get one or two snowstorms a year, and the lighting in this house looks almost exactly like moonlight reflecting off snow. It doesn't give away the scareactors' spots and it compliments most of the scenes; I actually forgot I was inside of a building the first time I walked through.

I agree with you on the really good scares in this house; they happen few and far between, but they are really good. Especially, the miniature cemetery one... which happens fairly often if only more people would notice it.

yeah I completely agree, this is one time where the lights help the house, a darker house would be cool but, dont know if it would work

actually if the house was darker i could see people saying the house sucked, since they couldn't see the detail

Got to hit this one again Friday. I feel like I got to see just about every effect, so that was pretty cool. I still love the chill felt in this house, and the scareactors were on their A game (as usual). I must say I'm beginning to really like this house. It's another one that's overlooked by most, but really shouldn't be. It's quite good! I also must say even though Friday I had gone to the event incognito (no Nightmare T-shirt, no areosmith cap) it felt like some the scareactors recognized me in here. (I was wearing a black Hurley Shirt and blue jeans).

7/10

Edited by cwoolboy

Would have loved to see this house, but I went last night and was soaked in minutes, so going through a house that's supposed to be so cold that you can see your breath was out of the question. Means I had to skip out on The Things also.... :angry: Hopefully I can find some footage on Youtube.

Would have loved to see this house, but I went last night and was soaked in minutes, so going through a house that's supposed to be so cold that you can see your breath was out of the question. Means I had to skip out on The Things also.... :angry: Hopefully I can find some footage on Youtube.

See your breath? I only went through once, but I don't remember it being anywhere near that cold.

Here's a Lights On Tour of Winter's Night bro. Hopefully this will hold u over till u get to experience it in person

And Saturday was one of the worst weather days I can remember in Orlando. I don't think we got 5 secs of no rain. Terrible.

i wonder of someone took a video in the Poe house.... :mellow:

Oh man, THANK YOU for the lights on tour video. Reading this thread was absolutely breaking my heart since this is the first house we went in, my niece freaked out, and all I remember from it is clingy screaming 13-year-old. Everyone keeps saying how amazing and beautiful it is, and I remember:

-Snow

-Some dead Victorian chick scaring us (Great scare by the way!)

-NOTHING AFTER THAT because I was running my niece to the exit.

And of course I didn't think to go back in again, because I'm not clever like that.

So being able to see some of the details I missed = SO AWESOME.

Apparently I'm the minority here, but the sets were a little upsetting for me. I guess only because I really wanted to see more levels used. It's a soundstage, I would have loved to see the sets built up a little more. As for detail, yes. The momentos left at tombs were insanely cool. The scares were good, and the cold!!!! I guess I went in at the right time, I was freezing and yes, could see my breath. The lighting was just right for me, because I could see the detail. Not my favorite, but a really nice house. And end scene with cloaked actors and dummies. Got me both times. Great job!

I think all the houses are good this year, but I dont know how I feel about this one. The scares are really predictable, its way too bright as Bruin said, and I feel like I've been through something like this before. The only redeeming qualities for me is the set, the finale, and how cold it is. I'm really going to have to give this one another chance tomorrow.

Having watched the video:

Oh wow, the distant cemetary looks incredibly intricate and beautiful, even with the lights fully on it's really seemless looking. I COMPLETELY missed it because we just ran through that hall. I bet the scare mentioned in that scene would've really got me too. Phooey. :(

Edited by Cestlavenus

This was my favorite house! And the funny thing is, the storyline and sets had little to do with it. Don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful house, and I thought its facade was the best of all the houses. But what really put it at the top of my list was the abundance of great scares. I went through this house 18 times and almost every time, someone got me good, even if I knew they were there (hi Weeping Angels!). Saw both casts in action, loved them both. To all who work in this house, well done! There are many good contenders for House of the Year, but I hope it goes to you. You were great!

Another top house of the night! I must say this is officially one of my personal favorites and is another DO NOT MISS. Loads better than last year's Legendary Truth. The cemetery setting is beautifully realized and I LOVE the chill in the house. Every scareactor is usually on his/her A game, and it's tons of fun to continually re-visit the Hawthorne Cemetery.

FINAL SCORE: 8.5/10

BEAUTIFUL house. I love this house just for admiring the sets. Some great scares in there as well. Very, very good. I also loved how cold it was. Just really cool, and I thought the ghosts were great (much better than LT) The final was cool too.

Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL house. I get more scares every time I visit - I missed the miniature scare the first few times through, I'm so happy that I'm getting it regularly now. Weeping angel :wub: . Finale is so awesome, I love the how the faces light up now. Special extra thanks to the former street scareactor that pointed at my Nightmares shirt after the scare - you rock!!

Got to hit this one twice tonight, and it's one of my favorite houses of all time (along with Steam and Nevermore). Great theming, dedicated scareactors, and top-notch environment (LOVE the chill in this house). in the last room, I got qua-triple teamed, which was amazing on so many levels (pretty sure I was giggling like a school girl afterwards...such a neat, rare experience). This is the only house I have hit EVERY night I've gone to the event this year. LOVE u guys! 9/10

Edited by cwoolboy

Like, in the end room 4 people got me back to back to back to back. (I think it was 4, maybe it was just 3?) To me it felt about as cold as it had every other night, maybe just a tad bit warmer but not by a whole lot.

Edited by cwoolboy