Winter's Night: Haunting of Hawthorn Cemetery

Mark M.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ooo Graveyards are good fun. Add an alchemist at a tale about raising the dead, or something like that, and you will have a winner. I could see, depending on the location and setting, above ground graves, walking into mausoleums that lead to secret "experiment rooms'', catacombs, lots of ghostly effects. Personally, I love that HHN has been adding more traditional esqe haunts to their event. Gore, blood and edgyness is all well and good, but nothing beats a good ol haunted house. Not only that, with the increase in popularity of ghost movies (well at least the increase of the movies that are ghost themed), this is a good move. Can't wait to see some pics of this house and maybe some glimpses of it in video format.

Let's look at the impracticality of using real snow-snow is cold, wet, and slippery In order for it to stick to the floor, and not melt, the floor and surrounding room would have to be 32F or lower. If the temperature is higher than this, the snow will melt. Keeping it very cold will be most uncomfortable for guests, and mostly, scareactors. Combine extreme cold with the dampness of snow, along with constant exposure to this, is a formula for your scareactors to get very sick. If it's real snow and melting, the floor, scenery, costumes, wigs, masks, and make-up will all be ruined, plus slippery floors will mean guests falling, and lots of injuries.

So I say, the snow will NOT be real.

They should at least have some snow effect similar to Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. I just want to see something that looks like snow falling around. Seeing my breath would be cool but I would much rather see something fall then just be cold and see my breath.

The effect used in Potter is just small chunks of foam I believe. They used it one year at Hollywood Studios for a Christmas thing. It does look like snow, but that too would cause a slipping hazard. But who knows, we'll have to wait and see.

Have to say that this is my most anticipated house of the year! The environment of an isolated, cold, haunted cemetery in the middle of the night? Sounds amazing, unique, moody, atmospheric, and awesome. Plus a cameo (or more) by the weeping angels?!?! Amazing! I cannot wait!!!

The effect used in Potter is just small chunks of foam I believe. They used it one year at Hollywood Studios for a Christmas thing. It does look like snow, but that too would cause a slipping hazard. But who knows, we'll have to wait and see.

I think it would be fine, I mean the queue for Forbidden Journey doesn't get slippery so I'd imagine as long as its not like a crazy amount of snow it would be fine... Actually they use the same effect at a ton of places, I'm pretty sure I used to see it at Grinchmas and such too back in the day.

Edited by bmoz628

Still not wanting the cold, yuck, I hate cold almost more than anything else in the world, except screaming children. I hope there are leaves crunching underneath you as you walk the paths through the house, because to me, that always gives a creepy effect, and makes things feel dead and deserted. When I was still living in PA, and too old for trick or treating, I used to rake all the fallen leaves on our long sidewalk, and up the stairs to the front porch for the kids, to give that real fall-ish, Halloween-ish, cool effect.

Yes, the house is cold, and yes, it is going to totally rock! And no, read my earlier post on the impracticality of using real snow.

I said the same thing the other day, but on one of the websites that posted a review or whatnot about the Tweetup thing behindthethrills.com said "Hawthorne Cemetery will use REAL snow." Which is why I was asking. I said the same thing about it being impractical and it would be better to use the same effect as the Harry Potter and Forbidden Journey Queue... In fact I already read your post but then I heard this and was like "What a tick, no way." and thought it was mildly relevant to ask aging... :rolleyes:

I'm really looking forward to this house. It seems amazing all around but I can't wait to see people's reactions to the cold. Lets face it, I'm used to cold weather. I can walk around in shorts when it's 30 degrees out. Anyone from Florida is going to freeze in there and yes I will laugh at the shivering teenagers who are wearing next to nothing.

Anyone from Florida is going to freeze in there and yes I will laugh at the shivering teenagers who are wearing next to nothing.

Not everyone from Florida. I was born and raised in Florida and I love cold weather!!! Can't speak for anyone else whose a native of the state but I know I am not the only one.

Not everyone from Florida. I was born and raised in Florida and I love cold weather!!! Can't speak for anyone else whose a native of the state but I know I am not the only one.

Ok so my bad I guess there are a few of you who like the cold weather. Your few and far between. I'm still gonna laugh at people who are shivering.

• Mark M. changed the title to Winter's Night: Haunting of Hawthorn Cemetery