The Thing

Mark M.

I heard a guest was scared into a shelving unit so they had to shut down the house to clean it up.

You'd think they'd have bolted that down better.

I've only done the Thing once so far, so I don't remember a great deal about it. I remember wishing there was a greater variety in victims (Someone else mentioned the high number of "trunk-faced things", which I'd agree was excessive). The actress who played what I assume is the lead character from the movie was very good. She looked genuinely terrified, and I actually did see her shooting at the Thing across the Hall. The guy on the harness, who jumps around above the scenery that some people mentioned was missing last night didn't really do anything for me when I saw him. He was moving too slowly and was to far away from me to be threatening.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember wishing there was a greater variety in victims (Someone else mentioned the high number of "trunk-faced things", which I'd agree was excessive).

I played the free demo of the game and the monsters in the demo are exactly the same as the ones in the house. I'm assuming the movie will be the same. Perhaps it sufferers the curse of having to portray exactly what is in the movie. I agree that the guy with the crawling monster attached to his face in thew house is one or two too many...

I played the free demo of the game and the monsters in the demo are exactly the same as the ones in the house. I'm assuming the movie will be the same. Perhaps it sufferers the curse of having to portray exactly what is in the movie. I agree that the guy with the crawling monster attached to his face in thew house is one or two too many...

Game? You mean the one that was released back in 2002?

Game? You mean the one that was released back in 2002?

Nope from the new movie. they have a very short demo on the site in fact... many of the set in the house are in the game.

-Audio design in this house is brilliant. Best audio in the event this year, it's LOUD and AGGRESSIVE. Great creature effects. Not sure I heard The Thing theme though, maybe I just missed it

The audio is actually two tracks from the new soundtrack. One is called the "Road to Antartica" and is heard going into the facade. the other is "Saunder Bucks" and it is most noticable just before going in the ship. In this track there is a throw back to the "dun dun" deal from Humanity Pt2.

this house was somewhat a letdown. i wasnt expecting much of the house, and it was defenitely better than i thought it would be, but still not one of my favorites. this doesnt mean the house was bad. every house this year was good and had its own special attributes, this didnt have that many, plus it lacked in energy/cast overall. the finale was very weak imo, and the hallway before it shouldve had an sa or 2. a lot of dead space in this house. i only did it 2 times, so when i go back ill see if i missed anything and give it a full review. as of now, it holds a 7/10

I still love this house, seems like the actors are scaring more, I got scared more today, a lot more, the scares were a little more than nightingales, that house still has some problems with the timing, scares seem to be spread out kinda long

I enjoyed this year's house based on The Thing. However, I left feeling slightly disappointed.

The facade is well done and the snow was a bonus surprise. I was afraid it would feel too warm in the Antarctic but the house is cool enough that the temp doesn't really stand out. Two of the half-transformed actresses with strobe effects (scene after the rec room, and the finale) do a great job. Their timing is great and give good scares.

I agree with others that feel that some of the masks are very repetitive. This fact really did detract from my enjoyment of the house. Another problem I encountered was the long reset times that some of the scenes require. It would be nice if they could find a way to decrease the time between each reset. I would have also liked to have seen a lot more panic and energy from many of the actors. There were more than a few actors that gave off the vibe of just going through the motions. I did not feel the high-level of anxiety in this year's maze like I did back in '07.

I think one of the easy fixes for this house that would create a huge positive impact would be to up the anxiety level with higher-energy performances from many of the actors. This house has a lot of potential, it just wasn't firing on all cylinders while I was there.

I thought it was strange that the Hollywood house is actually named The Thing: Assimilation. Also, if you notice, on the back of one of this year's shirts it actually lists Assimilation as well. Maybe they were going to go with that name originally, but remembered at the last minute that they'd already used it.

On an unrelated note: am I the only one who thinks that this version of the thing (creature) looks a lot like the tingler?

Went through twice on Friday and had really bad timing both times.

Caught almost every single reset and the unappreciative, lethargic group in front of us was getting all the action.

I did get to see the kitchen scene though, damn that gun blast is bright haha. We'll give it another go on the 21st and see if we can't get lucky on the timing.

Really good house. great facade, great theming, and some pretty dmn good scares. Love how

we get to see the Thing's "pure" form in here

and it seemed to strike a good balance between live actors and AAs . I must say that

the mask they have where it looks like a Thing has attached itself to a persons face is used WAAAAAAAY too much in this house though

. Didn't really feel like I was in the film, but it was still a good house nontheless. I'm putting this one on my DO NOT MISS list.

8/10

Edited by cwoolboy

I thought it was strange that the Hollywood house is actually named The Thing: Assimilation. Also, if you notice, on the back of one of this year's shirts it actually lists Assimilation as well. Maybe they were going to go with that name originally, but remembered at the last minute that they'd already used it.

On an unrelated note: am I the only one who thinks that this version of the thing (creature) looks a lot like the tingler?

Nope, I noticed it too I remember the first time I saw the Thing on the wall with the ax and thought the same exact thing.

For me, this house was ten times better than the first Thing house we had. Having said that, I agree that the masks looked way too similar in different parts of the house. The scares were great though and the overall atmosphere for me, especially the facade, was amazing. The one thing I truly HATED about this house though was the ending hallway, with the strobes and such. That belonged at the beginning, or something like that. The last scene with the Thing coming through the ceiling was an amazing way to climax the house. The fact there was a 30 ft hallway of nothing but strobes after that made me feel very anticlimactic. In my opinion, the house should have ended with that scene. Otherwise, the cast was awesome, given the repetitive costumes they had, they still got some great scares.

With the repetitive mask you're speaking of, was it just me, or were they all having to hold onto it because it was so big on their face? It was extremely distracting that they had to hold their masks in order to keep it on and make a scare. Once the "boo" factor was gone, it was kinda sad to see.

Edited by JONNYFXM

you guys mean at the very end?

and why dont you like it?

I don't like it on principle, mostly. If I remember the John Carpenter version as well as I like to think I do, the thing never appeared n it's true form, only via the various things it had assimilated. That was something about the JC version I liked. Also as I said, and as bmoz628 noticed as well, one of it's "pure" forms looks exactly like the tingler, which is more amusing than frightening.

Edited by Dr. Phibes

I'm talking about the scene where the Thing is on the ceiling and the black dude is shooting at it. That SHOULD be it's "pure" form because at that moment it had just popped out of the ice.

ohhh... :unsure:

that is my favorite part of the house, i just love going here and look at the thing go up, is so awesome for me,

I also Love the sound the thing makes when it gets shot, such a great growl type sound, love it.

I love that part of the house too, altho I I never got why the platform is there... is that where the guy with the gun was supposed to originally be maybe?

Also, I totally understand what Dr. Phibes is saying about not seeing the Thing in the JC version, things being scarier when left to your imagination is something I think is totally lost on my generation...

Wow! I wasn't expecting much going in, but I was pleasantly surprised by this house. If you get the scares, it's very intense. Do this one more than once so you can catch all the scenes, as it's easy to miss them if your timing is bad. Oh, and make sure you look up!

There's a scareactor up high in one scene and many people don't notice him. I didn't realize he was there until my third night at the event.

I actually got lucky and was able to go through this completely alone my first time. Sadly, I couldn't fully appreciate it because I'd come in from the daylight and was blind as a bat. But it was still kinda cool, and I had no idea what to expect so I got scared plenty.

I don't know why but they took off the costume of the actor in the roof, which is a Huge fail for me, now there is just a guy hanging on the roof, seems like a WTF moment now, I think he had some face make up but, i miss the actor having the full make up

I wonder, was the other costume too much? to hard to have on? if that was the reason if the actors had some kind of problem with the costume then I guess is fine he doesn't have it but now that room does not have the impact it had before, now is just a random guy hanging lol

• Mark M. changed the title to The Thing