The Thing

Mark M.

way better than the last one they did. It was a smart idea doing it in a soundstage instead of the tents. Tha facade was FREAKIN AMAZNG, looked exatly like the movie minus the helicopter. I think the actual Thing dropping down from the roof could have dropped down a little bit lower. Had some good scares but seemed like the masks could have been a little bit better. But Other than that I really enjoyed the house

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

way better than the last one they did. It was a smart idea doing it in a soundstage instead of the tents. Tha facade was FREAKIN AMAZNG, looked exatly like the movie minus the helicopter. I think the actual Thing dropping down from the roof could have dropped down a little bit lower. Had some good scares but seemed like the masks could have been a little bit better. But Other than that I really enjoyed the house

the things dropping from the roof is one of my favorite things ive ever seen at HHN, is such a great effect

Loved the house! Got the most scares in this house every time I went through it. Just a quick question, wasn't there talk of a helicopter being in this house? What happened to it?

Actually that was just a misconception by me. Someone was hinting towards the pool table prop, but from the hints I guessed it was a helicopter. There is/was not a helicopter in this, nor was it planned to have one. Sorry about the miscommunication.... :(

The THING

-Audio design in this house is brilliant. Best audio in the event this year, it's LOUD and AGGRESSIVE. Great creature effects. Not sure I heard The Thing theme though, maybe I just missed it

-Creature design is excellent, but I feel like it's almost a little repetitive. I saw the "trunk-face" creature at least 2 or 3 times (he's the first THING you see), the "crab-woman" THING (you see her in like the 2nd or 3rd scene and again in the finale), and then the by-far creepiest "split-face" THING (he shows up in the animatronic THING room and the bungee guy). Don't get me wrong, these costumes are spectacular, but I just feel like there could've been more variety... then again, they're probably basing the creatures off the film, and there's only so many to use

-Animatronics/puppetry work is wonderful. I counted two giant puppets (transition from 1st to 2nd scene and then in the finale) as well as the enormous ceiling animatronic (you know what I'm talking about) and the table animatronic. All 4 of these big creatures are wonderfully unique and grotesque.

-Again, the gore is plentiful, and I love it - accents each scene when used

-I like that the actors do look fairly close to the character seen in the trailer for the film. I spotted our female lead and the black dude who first encounters THE THING - nice casting

-Some rooms feel a little empty... shortage of actors?

-Facade is great but suffers a little from it being very apparent that there's a giant soundstage behind it. Black curtains would've been nice here. Snow, however, is a nice treat and unexpected

-Finale... I like the transition to the spaceship, and the set design here is simplistic but cool, I just am not experiencing the scares everyone else is getting. There's the puppet that gets you, then an outpost worker on the opposite side with an air-blower ("flame-thrower?"), then a crab-woman thing at an awkward angle (I've always had to crane my neck to see her). Am I missing something? Is there another character that I've missed on all my runs?

-Great sets, if I haven't mentioned that yet. This looks fairly screen-accurate. The ice room with the THING animatronic is brilliant.

-Some good scares here, but possibly the most inconsistent of the houses I've done. Not a horrible thing, just means I've had some great runs and some just-okay runs

-I look forward to continuing to experience this house... can't get enough of the great design seen here.

Suggestions for Improvement: I'd like to say try and get more variety in the costumes, but it's a little late for that one. Try to keep this house well-staffed since it tends to be the emptiest house from what I've seen... I'm hearing there's a missing character in the finale on one cast, so let's try and get that spot filled more often? Keep up the maintenance work on those puppets and animatronics, as they really do make the house.

Facade: A-

Sets: A

Atmosphere: A

Costumes: A-

Scares: B

Finale: B

Opening Weekend Grade: A-

Scott said something to me and it's stuck with me every time I walk through the house. The female actor in the kitchen (I believe) does a great job. The actor in the ceiling room. Never gives me a hint of being excited. If I was fighting some large alien creature I would be more animated. That would help run that scene much better and provide focus from the scare-actor in the room.

Every time I have gone through, the actor in the kitchen (who does really look like the female lead from the movie) is standing behind the shelving with the gun held up. Not sure what the scare is supposed to be in that room but I have missed it each time :(. Maybe she is supposed to be fighting the ops that is standing right in front of the swinging kitchen doors? haha

The throat-cut guy is awesome though! I got to see both casts, and each guy was great. One cast has a very slow and deliberate motion (super creepy) and the other cuts it really fast (startling and disgusting). Props to you guys, thats one of the only scenes that gets me every time, even though I know it's coming.

Every time I have gone through, the actor in the kitchen (who does really look like the female lead from the movie) is standing behind the shelving with the gun held up. Not sure what the scare is supposed to be in that room but I have missed it each time :(. Maybe she is supposed to be fighting the ops that is standing right in front of the swinging kitchen doors? haha

The throat-cut guy is awesome though! I got to see both casts, and each guy was great. One cast has a very slow and deliberate motion (super creepy) and the other cuts it really fast (startling and disgusting). Props to you guys, thats one of the only scenes that gets me every time, even though I know it's coming.

She shoots at a "Thing" that pops out if you can see her around the shelves then the "Thing" she's shooting at will be behind you, and is the throat-cut guy sitting at a desk? I think last night was the first time I saw him and he didn't even cut his throat when we walked by. :(

I heard something about this house being down for a long period last night...

It was, I don't know details. I went past the entrance a couple of times, spaced out through the night, and it was closed both of those times. Hopefully everyone and everything is okay.

I've only been through once so far (Thursday night), so my impressions are still of the first visit/sensory overload type. I didn't get to see much animatronic action from the big critter on the ceiling, so hoping for better timing on Sunday's run through.

yeah i passed by the house and only have seen the actress shoot the thing once in 3 days, the scares in the house take time to set up so yeah at first i didnt even know what was going on

Thursday the actor in the roof was missing'i really, really hope they dont take away that scare. is one of my favorite parts of the house.

( i saw the nightingale on the roof getting off too i really really really hope they dont take both actors off :angry::( )

yeah i passed by the house and only have seen the actress shoot the thing once in 3 days, the scares in the house take time to set up so yeah at first i didnt even know what was going on

Thursday the actor in the roof was missing'i really, really hope they dont take away that scare. is one of my favorite parts of the house.

( i saw the nightingale on the roof getting off too i really really really hope they dont take both actors off :angry::( )

Late Saturday of opening weekend I recall the over head guy in thing missing too. If I recall correctly there was a guy working up there with a flash light.

Late Saturday of opening weekend I recall the over head guy in thing missing too. If I recall correctly there was a guy working up there with a flash light.

crap....crap crap crap...

i saw the nightingale talking to someone up there and getting off i think, damn, those two are the best, i would be so sad if they are gone. it would ruin nightingales completely

crap....crap crap crap...

i saw the nightingale talking to someone up there and getting off i think, damn, those two are the best, i would be so sad if they are gone. it would ruin nightingales completely

They're both a cool effect but neither have scared me.

I wouldn't go as far to say as it'd ruin either house.

• Mark M. changed the title to The Thing