The Thing

Mark M.

the_thing.png.fc1e3a65d5f5f9697f37120cb7534572.png

Paranoia spreads like an epidemic among a group of researchers in an isolated Antarctic outpost as they are infected, one by one, by a horrifying creature from another planet. In a place where there is nothing, they found something.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess I'll be the first to pop the cherry on this house thread :P

I'll start off by saying I really liked Assimilation. I went through multiple times within the first few weeks (while the animatronics were still functioning 100%) and absolutely loved it. The feeling of imminent danger, and anxiety in the house was great and it was one of the first tent houses to really grab my attention and warrant many many walkthroughs.

With that being said, I am looking forward to this new Thing house, but not as much as some of the really interesting original ideas present at the event this year. I can't wait to see what they can do with a soundstage at their disposal, and I have a feeling the set quality will be comparable to Wolfman (which was a great set). I just hope Spider Head makes a cameo somewhere (in the movie as well as in the house) and that the transformations are as gruesome and as gut-wrenching as possible.

Edited by madmonk

I can't say that i did enjoy assimilation(most likely cuz had a creepy guy trying to flirt around with my ex at the time during the house..)and it felt like it was a blur. It seemed like i ran through the whole house cuz it was like 2 mins to me but i do have to say loved the movie and was jealous at first to hear one of the people i worked with in Hades got a role in Thing and its also set in SS so thats good news all round. I'm not doubting anything about this house since they sound so awesome!

Do you think this house will re-use the body with that "Thing" coming out of his body and attaching to the ceiling?

I think they will probably re use everything from the 07 house but create new stuff and the sets will be different, but, I bet we will see the stuff from 07, the creatures all around,

Do you think this house will re-use the body with that "Thing" coming out of his body and attaching to the ceiling?

If they do reuse it, it would might have to be refurbished repainted. It was used it Hades last year, and was bloodied up quite a bit.

Here's a picture taken from UTH by JWFearman (thanks Jeramy!):

61184_1439233538732_1169831029_31032784_4158062_n.jpg

I'm suprised that this house is quite low on the "Most Anticipated House" poll, for I'm quite excited to see it this year. I do understand that many of y'all saw Assimilation and it wasn't too fantastic, though. From the facade rendering, this house looks like it will have amazing sets!

thing-hint.jpg

In all honesty, while I AM looking forward to this house...I really am trying not to get my hopes up. While assimilation was the first hhn house I have ever been to(and was genuinely scared by...especially with the dog jumping through the wall), I DO NOT want to go through the exact same house as before...That being said, I believe that may very well be the case here if they go to the sprung tent from 2007/last year for the Dogs of War house. I'm hoping that I just missed the memo that they are FOR SURE moving the thing over to a sound stage, can anyone confirm or deny that? [wanting to give the house a chance as this is my favorite non franchise horror movie ever!]

I'm hoping that I just missed the memo that they are FOR SURE moving the thing over to a sound stage, can anyone confirm or deny that?

Yes I can confirm this house is in SS 23. We've know it is a SS since about May. Poe and the In Between are the Sprung Tents.

This house is part of cross corporate synergy with the express purpose of promoting the new film to be released in theaters on October 14. The house will build anticipation for the film and the film will also promote the house.

This was the same strategy for The Wolfman in 2009, if you remember when the house as planned the film was still supposed to be in theaters during the event, however it was later pushed up to February 2010.

Thus we should not see a repeat of 2007's house The Thing: Assimilation at all. Rather this house will be a very close adaptation of the new film.

Of course for budgetary reasons props and pieces used in previous years will always show up again at HHN, so we may see a few familiar objects in the house, but do not expect it to be a mere re-hashing of the previous house.

Have to say this is my least anticipated house...perhaps it because Assimiliation didn't do much for me, nor the original movie. Can't say that I'm rushing to see the new one either.

As with the random house every year, I have to leave my final judgement till after I've had the chance to go through it a few times.

Was not a fan of Assimilation (07). However The Thing is easily in my top 3 scariest flick of all time. I would love to walk away with this being one of my favorite houses.

No puppets. No animatronics. No military guys. Real actors in mutated costumes.

No puppets. No animatronics. No military guys. Real actors in mutated costumes.

That would stink in my opinion. OK, no Military Guys (unless the Scandanavian Military shows up in the movie to try to rescue their outpost, then it would make sense). I agree with you there.

But No puppets or Animatronics would really limit what they could do. Take the first Thing and to say no dog, no Blair monster/spider head thing, no Blair Monster with the streaching head, etc. You can only do so much with costumes...and there's no CGI in the houses (ha ha ha) so you really need to make some non-scareactor creatures to be true to the movie.

That would stink in my opinion. OK, no Military Guys (unless the Scandanavian Military shows up in the movie to try to rescue their outpost, then it would make sense). I agree with you there.

But No puppets or Animatronics would really limit what they could do. Take the first Thing and to say no dog, no Blair monster/spider head thing, no Blair Monster with the streaching head, etc. You can only do so much with costumes...and there's no CGI in the houses (ha ha ha) so you really need to make some non-scareactor creatures to be true to the movie.

Evilution at Islands of Fear (2002) used people in half-man half-dino costumes. It's not that hard. Most of the animatronics during 07 were terrible. Making the same repetitive motion over and over. It's not scary. Also all the animatronics take too long to reset. You can easily miss most of the house if you walk through at the wrong time. It's not practical.

jpex2.jpg

Guest kiwisoup

Can someone explain to me why people are very outspoken about houses using licensed material? You'd think people would eat this stuff up considering HHN is the only haunted attraction that has the ability to use movies and properties and such, but from the impression I get on forums it seems like these types of houses are immediately dismissed before any actual information is known about it. I realize this house has a previous house to base your opinion on, but it many other instances this is not the case. Are they all really that bad? Or do people just really prefer original material? The first year I heard about HHN it was Carnival of Carnage and I was really hyped for all of the licensed houses and last year there were absolutely none so I was a little disappointed...but that seems to be the opposite of everyone else's feeling. I'm honestly just curious about it.

Edited by kiwisoup

Can someone explain to me why people are very outspoken about houses using licensed material? You'd think people would eat this stuff up considering HHN is the only haunted attraction that has the ability to use movies and properties and such, but from the impression I get on forums it seems like these types of houses are immediately dismissed before any actual information is known about it. I realize this house has a previous house to base your opinion on, but it many other instances this is not the case. Are they all really that bad? Or do people just really prefer original material? The first year I heard about HHN it was Carnival of Carnage and I was really hyped for all of the licensed houses and last year there were absolutely none so I was a little disappointed...but that seems to be the opposite of everyone else's feeling. I'm honestly just curious about it.

Halloween Horror Nights isn't the only place that uses movies as houses. Knott's Berry Farm had houses based on The Grudge 2, Beowulf, and Quarantine, and a haunt in St. Louis is doing a SAW 3D haunted attraction.

But it's generally the fact that HHN had a Thing house in '07 that people are quick to not like this particular attraction. Even though the house in '07 was a SEQUEL to the original film and the new house is based off the REMAKE, which is also the PREQUEL to the original film (not to mention The Thing finally gets to be in a soundstage as quite a number of people were clamoring for a Thing sequel to take place in one).

I think with the licensed properties used, all of us have a pre-determined concept of what the house would or should be like. As with Carnival of Carnage, everyone had very high hopes and I think on the most part they were met. Personally, I like original concepts. That way there isn't a movie/book etc. for me to compare the house to...it's original and open for interpretation.

Assimilation wasn't a horrible house, but considering that the Thing is a pretty intense flick, I expected more out of it. With this new house, I could get exactly what I was looking for in the previous house...it's all kind of a wait and see game. The houses change up things after employee preview, opening weekend and every event night thereafter. Everything is tweaked to make it the best experience possible, but again, that is open to individual interpretation as well.

I am one of the small minority that Loves movie houses, I really don't know why the dislike but, some of my all time favorite houses are movie houses, my favorite year was 2007,

I like movie houses because after the event is over you have the movies to relive the house, I see my bloody valentine and get that feeling i felt in 09, I also love that you get to see movie Icons like Jigsaw, or Freddy, is like meeting them in real life, I agree with you, you'd think people would like them,

but, I understand, the HHN houses can't never be as accurate or as good as the movies, that when you go in the house some people try to compare the scenes in the house with the scenes in the movie in their minds, I've also heard that if the movie sucks there is no way to like the house, that original is better,

but, I personally Love them, even if the house sucks, which happens, like I said being able to see and meet icons from movies is enough to make me happy, I guess is the recognition factor, like Chucky, the house was not the best, but, seeing chucky everywhere was awesome, they could have made the house without him just call it toy factory or something and, the house could be the same, but, having chucky made it more special,

I don't know, This Thing house might suck, might be the worst, but, yeah I still really love movie houses, how else could people have been able to meet Freddy Jason Leatherface, Jigsaw and Wolfman? I think getting to see them personally was one of my favorite memories of HHN, original houses are good, but, the even is over, the house is over, all you have left is your memory of it, which fades...

Edited by black mask

• Mark M. changed the title to The Thing