Saws N' Steam: Into the Machine

Mark M.

Guest kiwisoup

So just to put some food for thought out there: House will have two chainsaws at least. And the concept art of the blade table is for another house.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure most people have figured out that that concept art was for The Pit and the Pendulum in Nevermore.

You know, that's exactly what I picture as well. So... kinda fun, but nothing special. Of course, we could be blown away. Stranger things have happened :)

yeah, I agree with you, also not only that but Saw's N Steam and RUN are both chainsaw houses, although RUN is like Hostel and is more of the torturing type house but I dont know, well find out what it looks like, cant wait to see how good the houses will be this year.

because it's not Bioshock....?

Did you see the tweetup?

The name of the city is Horizon = Rapture

A man chanting and promising those who enter this city will never go hungry or thirsty. Luring people into the city so he can control them. = Andrew Ryan

A&D can sugarcoat it all they want. It's Bioshock.

Edited by Karras

Did you see the tweetup?

The name of the city is Horizon = Rapture

A man chanting and promising those who enter this city will never go hungry or thirsty. Luring people into the city so he can control them. = Andrew Ryan

A&D can sugarcoat it all they want. It's Bioshock.

man. You can say that about anything.

The name of the city is Horizon = Berlin

A man chanting and promising those who enter this city will never go hungry, will always be on top . Luring people into the city so he can control them = Adolf Hitler.

I mean honestly, you can say it about anything that promises a utopia. Also, Andrew Ryan promised a hell of a lot more than that. And then you have the whole Splicing, ADAM/EVE, Little Sister/Big Daddy thing. So you can think what you want, but I don't think it's like Bioshock at all.

edited to add that I'm not going to argue this point anymore. It's Saw 'n Steam. Until you see the words BIOSHOCK OR RAPTURE it will never ever be a Bioshock house.

Edited by armyofrobots

But Hitler controlled Germany didn't have a steam punk vibe.

Saws n Steam and Bioshock does.

Listen to Andrew Ryan in this opening.

Listen to the voice in the tweetup. 10:30

edited to add that I'm not going to argue this point anymore.

No one is arguing.

Edited by Karras

Guest kiwisoup

I have to second...no third, the opinion that this is based on Bioshock, even if just loosely based. Having an actual Bioshock house would require obtaining the rights to use the source material, etc. Is it a Bioshock house? No. Are there too many similarities between SnS and Bioshock to just be coincidental? Yes. I don't understand the hostility that someone would suggest that it's based on Bioshock .

This is a Bioshock house the same way The Forsaken is The Fog and the statues in Winter's Night are Weeping Angels; meaning, they aren't but they are heavily based on these ideas. This is the closest we will ever get to having a Bioshock house. It's such a shame that fans have been asking for it for so long, and now nobody seems too excited.

Eh... we'll see.

I'm also under the impression that there may be some sort of influence from Bioshock or similar motifs in this house. Having that sort of dystopian vibe with a steampunk twist just seems really similar to the style of Bioshock. Also, I am Weighting put it pretty well. There are some houses that do seem to pull directly from movies and stories that Universal can't explicitly (or does not wish to) mention. Sure, it might be speculation, but those statues in Winter's Night sure do look a lot like the weeping angels, and The Forsaken is similar to The Fog in a few ways. Another example would be interstellar terror and Dead Space. I believe both of them pull from an even older storyline with an artifact and space-crew-insanity, but there's just always the chance that someone on the design team took influence from a game or a movie that they enjoy.

Well you had to bring me back from the grave for this, ok. Lol perhaps yes this kinda includes a Bioshock-esque motif that their utopias that are corrupt in the end but we barely know the history of the Horizon if it was paved in good intension like Rapture or was actually a set up trap all along. And we know Rapture became the nightmare because of the dependency of ADAM but how would "The Machine" fuel the "officials" to forcefully take citizens into the machine would it only be good to power the city? or something more because i believe whoever is in charge (perhaps the man that you hear in the audio clip and last year on the stage) Why bring citizens in to only make them fuel only? for personal growth it seems so i believe it's more of a set-up from the start and less of a progression which results in not really relating to the utopia falls which seem is the only thing that relates Horizon and Rapture that is being "both are utopias that in the end leads to bloodshed" which doesn't fill me with wow finally a Bioshock house. And the obvious things posted by armyofrobots makes this sorta of connection a bit pointless. Until i see either a huge Scuba Diving Suit fighting off a person of horizon as he shoots lightning off his hands as a little girl screams on for the man in the Suit then i'll believe you. But just putting that in the back of my head that "both are utopias that in the end leads to bloodshed" it still won't matter when i get scared from a guy who has a chainsaw and wearing bits of steam machinery screaming at me.

Until i see either a huge Scuba Diving Suit fighting off a person of horizon as he shoots lightning off his hands as a little girl screams on for the man in the Suit then i'll believe you.

I know people want more concrete evidence which is understandable. However it was said in the tweetup that this house is going to be effect heavy. "With lighting shooting at you."

I guess we will find out in 5 days the verdict.

Sure it has steampunk like Bioshock and there is water involved... But that is it really.

The water in Bioshock is the confining prison of you environment but a precious commodity in Horizons.

Andrew Ryan promised a Utopia and thought he was giving it...

Horizons promises Utopia and delivers the rendering of your body to water. Completely different idea.

Reminds me more of Soylent Green than Bioshock. Check it out if you haven't seen it. But here is the synopsis.

A tale of Earth in despair in 2022. Natural food like fruits, vegetables, and meat among others are now extinct. Earth is overpopulated and New York City has 40 million starving, poverty stricken people. The only way they survive is with water rations and eating a mysterious food called Soylent. A detective investigates the murder of the president of the Soylent company. The truth he uncovers is more disturbing than the Earth in turmoil when he learns the secret ingredient of Soylent Green.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they took aspects from Bioshock. That is normal and, as an artist, we draw from all kinds of sources and spin it to a new idea.

• Mark M. changed the title to Saws N' Steam: Into the Machine