Saws N' Steam: Into the Machine

Mark M.

Never been to HHN before, and I haven't been to Universal in years, but I've seen this come up a few times now and just have to ask (inquiring minds, you know...):

Is there something wrong with the Jaws queue? Why is it hot?

In my opinion that's where they put the lameo houses, it sounds to me like i'm not the only one who thinks that lol

i dont mind if they use real chainsaws or Sound effect ones. Thing is, this house is gonna scare the crap out of me haha.

Do you think they'll use the ones that were used in Havoc, and Hallow'd past? And the strobe light area of Leave it to Cleaver?

Both the chainsaw scare in Havoc and Hallow'd Past both used audio effects. So yes, it more than likely will be.

I think the whole steam punk is dull, i garuntee it'll be one of the jumpiest houses for me because theres gonna be chainsaws and they're loud lol, but the fact that theyre supposed to be "Steam Punk" makes it lose its edge for me. It makes me feel like they're not crazy enough or something...i mean leather face was scary, anybody with a human skin mask is scary and when they sling a chainsaw in my face my heart skips a beat, but if Jerry Only is running around with a chainsaw, whats new? lol...i feel like the whole punk image is so overdone already that it wouldnt suprise me if they were selling chainsaws as jewelry at hot topic and alot of the people i'm friendly with would buy it haha and that causes me to then joke about these "steam punks" in the house and outside of the house and it loses its credibility as a haunted house for me. and they need real saws, sfx last year sound like leaf blowers.

I have high hope that this house breaks the cycle of houses in the Jaws queue. I haven't liked a house in there for at least 3 years, reflections of fear wasn't as good as I expected, Saw sucked except for the pig room and sorry to say I was really disappointed in the orfanage. Saws N Steam was my favorite scare zone last year so obviously that alone has my hopes up. When it comes to not having real chainsaws in the house that sucks but......is there a way to use electric or battery operated chain saws with sound effects and pump in the smell we have all grown to love? Without that smell it will just ruin things for me.

I have high hope that this house breaks the cycle of houses in the Jaws queue. I haven't liked a house in there for at least 3 years, reflections of fear wasn't as good as I expected, Saw sucked except for the pig room and sorry to say I was really disappointed in the orfanage. Saws N Steam was my favorite scare zone last year so obviously that alone has my hopes up. When it comes to not having real chainsaws in the house that sucks but......is there a way to use electric or battery operated chain saws with sound effects and pump in the smell we have all grown to love? Without that smell it will just ruin things for me.

I agree that without the smell it would really seem dead. I think it's possible to bring the smell in without risking a large buildup of any harmful gases. I'm not entirely sure. One method would possibly be to actually use one of the live chainsaws except in a very limited manner....like twice in an hour, and no longer than 30 seconds. That'd surely give enough odor off to stay in the house, and at that most likely wouldn't put out nearly enough carbon monoxide or other gases to harm scareactors or guests...or more importantly, break the amount of gases that a worker can legally inhale as per OSHA.

I sound like such a legal geek talking about that. Not only am I not an expert on legal things, but I know very little about the correct standards. My knowledge comes from memorizing the policies that are taught whenever I got my job, and from articles I've read on the internet. I am, however, a nursing student...hence the knowledge about how harmful it can be...it's a huge risk just because when someone comes to you complaining of symptoms that were created by carbon monoxide poisoning, you could assume that those symptoms were brought on by many various things, and if they took on a lethal dose, you may not realize it until it's too late.

Very very unlikely, yes I know...but the risk is still there.

Last year in Hallow'd past they used the smell of gasoline for the one guy with a fake chainsaw to the left after exiting the vortex tunnel. That I am positive of, because I specifically remember it. Other houses that used fake chainsaws with eprompts may have used that smell as well but Hallow'd Past I know for sure. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they use that smell in this house.

Don't forget everyone that portions of this house are or can be outside. We may very well get real chainsaws in spots. I recall areas of Friday the 13th in 2007 that had outdoor elements. This is a queue line afterall and they can design it any way they want and that includes utilizing space to accomodate live chainsaws. I really hope that there aren't only triggered soundeffects as they just are not the same. We shall see.

One of the problems with the sound effect is that it sounds fake. If I remember correctly, they're never as loud as loud as they should be, and they don't sound like actual chainsaw recordings. They could invest in some electric chainsaws. Though, I'm not really aware of the differences between the two types.

One of the problems with the sound effect is that it sounds fake. If I remember correctly, they're never as loud as loud as they should be, and they don't sound like actual chainsaw recordings. They could invest in some electric chainsaws. Though, I'm not really aware of the differences between the two types.

the electric ones sound crappy too i got to play with one and i just put it back down because it didnt sound cool haha a whole house of them would sound like power drill hell.

I agree. The recorded sounds not only don't sound real, you miss the whole reverb of the saw. Sure they make the sound loud, but it just isnt the same. As for electric saws, no comparision to gas powered.

the electric ones sound crappy too i got to play with one and i just put it back down because it didnt sound cool haha a whole house of them would sound like power drill hell.

They could make good sounds if they went out and recorded real chainsaw sounds. They could get it pretty real sounding. You can get sounds sounding like they're right next to you if you manipulate the recording correctly. But to do that you need a good high quality recording of the actual chainsaw. Who knows! Maybe they'll surprise us.

Last year in Hallow'd past they used the smell of gasoline for the one guy with a fake chainsaw to the left after exiting the vortex tunnel. That I am positive of, because I specifically remember it. Other houses that used fake chainsaws with eprompts may have used that smell as well but Hallow'd Past I know for sure. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they use that smell in this house.

This happened VERY rarely. Most of the time this smell wasn't on.

Maybe 2 out of the 50+ trips I took through the house.

This is probably my least anticipated house. The concept for the scare zone was great, but I'm not sure how it's going to translate into its own complete house.

And the CSDT is a scare zone staple, if this house is all we will see of them this year, then it will be a disappointment no matter how great of a house it is.

i agree with Hush. None of the scarezones give away the idea that we're having chainsaws in the streets. Does that mean the "disaster" area will have chainsaws, and thats why they didnt highlight it as a scarezone, like in 2008 and stuff?

Very likely. Last year they threw chainsaws at the end of SnS and even all the way by jacks photo booth and then at the beginning to help crowd flow.. They also had them in the NY area and there was no highlight there

Very likely. Last year they threw chainsaws at the end of SnS and even all the way by jacks photo booth and then at the beginning to help crowd flow.. They also had them in the NY area and there was no highlight there

This was the same group that roamed. They were not 3 different chainsaw groups. Also, from what I hear this group was last minute.

Well I was tree the last day so maybe it was just an add on.. And I swear that when I was going through NY there were still chainsaws in Holywood

There was chainsaws regularly assigned to 20 Years of Fear (Hollywood zone) that had nothing to do with the roaming zone - they represented the Chainsaw Drill Teams of the past, hence their presence. The roaming squad typically started near Lucy in the park's first few hours of operation and would then move to New York Streets (Acid Assault location) later in the night.

I am reminded of Havoc. The description failed to draw any hint of interest from me, but both nights when I went thru the house it was the best house of the night. So, even though I fail to be properly psyched for SnS house I still have hope that Uni. will surprise me yet again and make another thrilling house. Regardless of my interest level, I WILL be making the trek through this house.

• Mark M. changed the title to Saws N' Steam: Into the Machine