H.R. Bloodengutz: Holidays of Horror

Mark M.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wasn't a big fan of Leave it to Clever or Zombiegeddon. I hope Holidays of Horror finds the right balance of cheese and horror. ex: PsychoScareapy 3, Creatures

I personally loved leave it to cleaver. Zombiegeddon was really good, possibly my favorite just didnt really find it funny? i thought leave it cleaver was amazing and funny. i never went to psychoscareapy 3 or creatures so idk how funny and scary they were. what were the jokes? i expect this one to be a weird crazy funny. like "omg hes such a nut its funny". also the way it mixes in with the "holidays" idk it seems to me perfect with the tv themed edition. I hope we get a narrator :D

I think most people who go to HHN are horror movie buffs...and we've all turned on the TV late at night and some cheesy ass horror movie was on that we just couldn't/wouldn't turn off because we got into it and there was nothing else on. Some turn out to be gems like Killer Klowns from Outter Space...and others turn out to be dog crap like the remake of Black Christmas or Valentine's Day (what a coincidence that I picked 2 crappy holiday movies).

I think this house is just a send up of those crappy late night movies with a crazy director who murders all the actors. So I don't think it's a non-stop laugh out loud house, but a house that we'll all find funny and laugh at the ridiculousness of the movies (or cringe with flashbacks to some guilty pleasure we caught on TNT at 2am) and probably get a few good scares from the Scarteactors when we're busy taking in the sets and props and they're able to catch us by surprise..

This isn't high up my list of houses because some of the others have me so intrigued, but I'm sure I'll love it. Some of my best scares are from the brighter/funnier/3D houses because there's so much "eye candy" that I'm not paying attention and some scareactor will follow right behind me leaning over my shoulder until I finally feel someone behind me an look and then scares the crap out of me.

I do look forward to H.R. a lot. I love the cheese/humor houses anyway, but late night camp/horror hosts hold a warm spot in my heart. My first exposure to horror in the 60's was on Nightmare Theater with Sammy Terry. Okay, it featured a lot of things that ended up on MST3K (Attack of the Killer Shrews, anyone?), but also gave me my first look at Frankenstein with Karloff, Dracula with Lugosi, and even the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers (that totally terrified me back then).

Combining the now (mostly) gone idea of late night creature feature hosts (50's & 60's inception), plus the crazy spate of holiday horror in the 80's following Friday the 13th (Happy Birthday to Me? April Fools Day?), sounds like a fun combination. And I agree, the tableau will provide the perfect distraction for scares. I can only imagine what is in those Easter Baskets.

I also love the previously mentioned suggestion for Arbor Day - Fargo rules.

Did you experience Home for the Holiday? That house is why a lot of fans are excited for this house.

I did, and I really didn't enjoy it all that much. I went through it a few times and for me it wasn't all that scary to me (the sets were awesome though). The problem I find with the b-movie themed houses is that they aren't as scary. Leave it to Cleaver, really, I didn't get 1 scare, nor jump, or anything. Zombiegeddon did it right though. Cheesy idea with some great scares and moments. I'm not judging the house I'm just going off of passed experiences. Although I can't say I'm excited for this house, I can say I am expecting a great experience like I had in Zombiegeddon.

I did, and I really didn't enjoy it all that much. I went through it a few times and for me it wasn't all that scary to me (the sets were awesome though). The problem I find with the b-movie themed houses is that they aren't as scary. Leave it to Cleaver, really, I didn't get 1 scare, nor jump, or anything. Zombiegeddon did it right though. Cheesy idea with some great scares and moments. I'm not judging the house I'm just going off of passed experiences. Although I can't say I'm excited for this house, I can say I am expecting a great experience like I had in Zombiegeddon.

I disagree with you. ZombieGeddon's "balance" was just too straight forward. I mean, the first half of the house was all funny, no scares. The last half, I didn't get ANY laughs. Just scares. Cleaver balanced this genre of house perfectly, using the laughs mostly as distractions, so the scares would become more unexpected. Same goes for Creatures and Home For the Holidays.

I personally loved leave it to cleaver. Zombiegeddon was really good, possibly my favorite just didnt really find it funny? i thought leave it cleaver was amazing and funny. i never went to psychoscareapy 3 or creatures so idk how funny and scary they were. what were the jokes? i expect this one to be a weird crazy funny. like "omg hes such a nut its funny". also the way it mixes in with the "holidays" idk it seems to me perfect with the tv themed edition. I hope we get a narrator :D

Some examples:

Creatures - I walk into one room, there is a large man dancing between a door way with his shirt tied around his belly. I start laughing my ass off. Next room a giant alien attacks a fence and scares the shit out of me.

Leave it to Clever - Everyone is waving and staring at me. Next room someone is dancing on a desk. I shrug my shoulders.

Some examples:

Creatures - I walk into one room, there is a large man dancing between a door way with his shirt tied around his belly. I start laughing my ass off. Next room a giant alien attacks a fence and scares the shit out of me.

Leave it to Clever - Everyone is waving and staring at me. Next room someone is dancing on a desk. I shrug my shoulders.

For creatures that does seem really funny, but my favorite cleaver part was the part where (if you did) look in a sink and the arm is there spinning. also the way they all had masks freaked the crap out of me. my favorite in that house was the surprise scare at end. sometimes they did others they didnt but the last door when you thought u were out a guy with a mask came out with a chainsaw. That got me and my friends RUNNING like we were getting chased by the cops. That is possibly my favorite experience of hhn for the past 2 years!

Some examples:

I think Creatures pulled it off much better, even though Creatures lacked the creatures. I got a good amount of scares in there.

I hope they go over this backstory while we wait in line cuz I can't seem to find the damned VM anywhere!!!! I checked the bits and pieces and I failed to find it there (maybe someone could tell me which files to open) and the darn site just locked me out for 30 mins!!! *Rips out hair*

I'm probably one of the few who remember H.R. Pufnstuf Doc. <_<

I'm only 21 and I know H.R. Pufnstuf! Then again I wasn't raised by a bunch of whacked out shut ins. :)

Also, while I have always dug the creature feature type flicks....I have to admit, I do NOT have high hopes for

this house...Granted I haven't experienced any of the "comedy" houses (only been to carnival of carnage and hhn XX) unless you count zombiegeddon

which I was totally into, but is this one and ones like it just meant

to liven the mood and not take it too seriously, or is there some kind of element that I can't think of that will

actually make this house scary?

Edited by Iwrestledabearonce

I'm only 21 and I know H.R. Pufnstuf! Then again I wasn't raised by a bunch of whacked out shut ins. :)

Also, while I have always dug the creature feature type flicks....I have to admit, I do NOT have high hopes for

this house...Granted I haven't experienced any of the "comedy" houses (only been to carnival of carnage and hhn XX) unless you count zombiegeddon

which I was totally into, but is this one and ones like it just meant

to liven the mood and not take it too seriously, or is there some kind of element that I can't think of that will

actually make this house scary?

i don't think this one will be that great, but to walk through and see weird stuff this is probably top notch, they did one i think last year or the year before,

psychoscarepy-home for the holidays, which was flat out dumb, but it was memorable, and got a couple laughs out of me, but im hoping this is not like this.

i want zombie lincoln fighting a rabid easter bunny or something haha

• Mark M. changed the title to H.R. Bloodengutz: Holidays of Horror