HHN 21 | Take A Chance Clues & Answers

This year's set of games, along with the bannishment, lacks any element of fun. Yeah, it's luck - I get it - stop hitting me over the head with it. I so long for the days when we spent hours trying to simply see if the hand on the Grandfather clock had moved, or if we could puzzle together the pages from Mary's journal. At least we're getting some hints as to the houses on the 50/50 pages, but that's not enough to satisfy me.

I agree, I'm not a big fan of the banishment that comes along with this year's games. Hopefully when the site goes through its overhaul, there will be some more entertaining sections worth examining that won't kick you out by random chance.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, I'm not a big fan of the banishment that comes along with this year's games. Hopefully when the site goes through its overhaul, there will be some more entertaining sections worth examining that won't kick you out by random chance.

If this year's website is supposed to be an indicator of what will happen at HHN, then should we expect that entering a house may result in our ejection from the park for an hour? That would address the crowd problem, but still....

Edited by zombieman

If this year's website is supposed to be an indicator of what will happen at HHN, then should we expect that entering a house may result in our ejection from the park for an hour? That would address the crowd problem, but still....

I distinctly remember them having a panel on Terra Cruentas and Fate was a big topic of that year. They discussed how they wanted to have some shills and they would go spin a big wheel and if the shills had a bad spin they could get sent to the back of the line, etc. It's always possible that past concepts could be on the table.

played the book game, and passed it on my first try,

same with the ambulance and boxes, passed it on my first try.

but

no matter how much i try i canot pass the cannon game, i just can't, is too hard, how do you cut the ropes? by clicking?

played the book game, and passed it on my first try,

same with the ambulance and boxes, passed it on my first try.

but

no matter how much i try i canot pass the cannon game, i just can't, is too hard, how do you cut the ropes? by clicking?

I finally beat it once after about a dozen tries. God, these are stupid games.

I honestly don't know if you click or just point at the ropes; if your cursor touches them, they glow. I was wildly clicking and sawing at them.

In my previous 10+ attempts, I was unable to cut even a single rope, then the latest time, I was able to do all 4. I probably couldn't repeat that performance if I played another 10 times.

There are times you can sort of steady the cannon, but then the boat rocks wildly to one side. This is when I went for a rope by overcompensating. So if the cannon is heading quickly to the right, go for a rope on the left. This will counterbalance the boat at the same time. I'm using a Logitech trackball, by the way. You have to cut all 4 ropes, also. I heard people saying there was three real ropes and a 4th that would break your sword. I cut two, broke my sword on the 3rd, and then cut the 4th. I thought I had won, having cut 3 ropes, but noooo... You have to cut all 4. The fact that my sword broke was bad luck. If the sword breaks a second time, you lose.

If you are expecting there to be a point to this game, you lose.

If you are looking for fun by playing this game, you lose.

If you are expecting to find clues to HHN through the game, you lose.

If you are hoping for a website as good as 2005 or 2008, you lose.

If you really enjoy pure nonstop frustration, you win.

I can honestly say that this is the first year that I can read "SITE UPDATE!!!" on this message board and say "meh, I'll wait for someone to post the screenshot". They really managed to kill the spirit of the event so far.

Edited by zombieman

I'd have to agree with you Zombieman. I barely go to the website at all this year. It's obvious, you need to be lucky to win anything, but why build a website that purposefully frustrates it's fans? When I started following HHN in 05 the site was great and it hooked me. Now I'm to get other people into it as well, especially since we're going for the first time this year, but every time I introduce the site or the hints to anyone else, they play one round, get banished and say it's stupid & doesn't make any sense. Pretty hard to build hype for the trip down to Orlando when our main attraction has banished my fellow trip takers from a good portion of its website.

That being said, I'd like to believe they have a reason for releasing information this way and the conclusion of the Take a Chance game will justify all the banishment and commitment required to build The House.

Just logged in played no games and got banned wtf universal?? On a side note i doubt they can move you to the back of the line with a wheel Imagine the frustration of being in line for an hour then having to go back to the end. it wont solve any problems it will only piss people off.

Just logged in played no games and got banned wtf universal?? On a side note i doubt they can move you to the back of the line with a wheel Imagine the frustration of being in line for an hour then having to go back to the end. it wont solve any problems it will only piss people off.

I made the implication that HHN would randomly ban people during their event for doing unlucky things purely as a joke. If they seriously tried that, it would pretty much be the final year for HHN. The thought of making a oh, let's see, a BLACK paying customer randomly go to the back of the line would be a corporate nightmare - not to mention a legal one. Ain't gonna happen in our lifetime.

Still, even if 1% of customers that visit the website walk away with the inference that they may be singled out during the event for some stupid reason and decide not to attend HHN 2011 as a result, how on earth did A&D get this idea past the pencil pushers?

Jeez, I mean, why didn't they at least add some sort of "luck factor" element shown as some sort of meeter on the screen that grows and shrinks during they day? If the luck factor is strong, you do better at the games. They could have tied it perfectly into the event by making the luck factor always shrink to zero during what would be the hours of HHN, making a creepy implication for the potential customer.

By the way, is there anyone who doesn't expect our "House of cards" that is being built to fall down once by the time the full site reveal happens in 10 short days?

Edited by zombieman

http://emailassets.nbcuni.com/universalorlando/temp/2011_hhn_3587/index.html?__source=EDW761421&ptyid=20485212 btw see if you can play this game i was emailed. during transition of one of the questions you see screamhouse

Very clever game.

Interesting that there are far fewer paths to death in this one as compared to their Text games in the house queues.

And, yup, that's Screamhouse...

Very clever game.

Interesting that there are far fewer paths to death in this one as compared to their Text games in the house queues.

And, yup, that's Screamhouse...

you know whats funny, i felt lucky going into work today, so i said hey let me get a $2 scratchoff, i won $100...and i tried that game and beat the odds...

I was in the top 5, and now my score is gone very odd... I was beating the house I guess they finally caught on

I thought for a moment they might be purging the "refreshers'" scores, but no, my and others' scores remain at the top. If you were doing something "else" to "beat the house," I think it should've been clear at this point that Universal wants us to play by their rules.

My token count is still up its at 23220. I did this all in less than a week, so I was not even around for the "refreshers". If I did refresh it would say "no cheating the house always wins" I did that one time on accident.

screwjobinbabson-1.jpg

Edited by TronCat

My token count is still up its at 23220. I did this all in less than a week, so I was not even around for the "refreshers". If I did refresh it would say "no cheating the house always wins" I did that one time on accident.

Were you Danny B.? I checked the board earlier today and was wondering where your score went. That sucks that they took you off. There's no possible way you could have cheated.

Were you Danny B.? I checked the board earlier today and was wondering where your score went. That sucks that they took you off. There's no possible way you could have cheated.

Yea that was me I have since been reinstated. Im not sure what that was all about. You can still win the Saws n Steam game about 80% of the time, you just have to have a good memory.

Edited by TronCat

So the new game is pretty easy, especially if you have knowledge of The Thing storyline. Just click the pink card, then click on the steering mechanism and move toward the left to land in the Norwegian Base. Then all you have to do is burn 3/5 the five shadows successfully, within 30 seconds of course.

Hey guys. It's been a while for me on here. Dig the new look. I've tried to play the game on the site and I can't get anywhere. It says to pick a card but my screen is blank, just a tray where the cards should be. I click the house and nothing, just rotating cards. Can anyone shed light on this? Im running a mac and using safari as my internet. I believe my flash and stuff is up to date.

Hey guys. It's been a while for me on here. Dig the new look. I've tried to play the game on the site and I can't get anywhere. It says to pick a card but my screen is blank, just a tray where the cards should be. I click the house and nothing, just rotating cards. Can anyone shed light on this? Im running a mac and using safari as my internet. I believe my flash and stuff is up to date.

I've noticed that the site has been a bit buggy after today's update. Perhaps try clearing your cache and revisiting the page to get a fresh download of everything? You might want to try a different browser if that doesn't help.

Also, I've been messing around with the Loose Cannon game a lot today. It appears that the suggestion for beating the game is actually a bit flawed.

-One of the four ropes is uncut-able until other ropes are cut.

Actually, the sword will randomly break on any of the ropes. As a matter of fact, you can have just one rope left and still have the sword break! Also, after the sword breaks on a rope, you can immediately try that rope again and successfully cut it. Thus, I think it's safe to conclude that the sword will simply break at random on any rope.

Edited by Universal Freak

Actually, the sword will randomly break on any of the ropes. As a matter of fact, you can have just one rope left and still have the sword break! Also, after the sword breaks on a rope, you can immediately try that rope again and successfully cut it. Thus, I think it's safe to conclude that the sword will simply break at random on any rope.

From all the times I've played Loose Cannon which is probably 40-50-ish times, I've noticed that the sword will repeatedly break on the same rope, until another one is cut. I haven't had the opportunity to see it break on a rope once and then cut the same rope right after the previous attempt. I'll tweak the info on the front page a bit.